JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. God Appears Again at Bethel

• 2 months later...

Q4. (Genesis 35:9-15) Why do you think God appears to Jacob yet another time? What are the primary promises that God renews to Jacob?

God appeared to Jacob yet another time to remind him of the promise made earlier; rehashing the promise to his father and grandfather, which is to be fulfilled through him.

The primary promises that God renews to Jacob is that the land of Canaan would be for him and his descendants, that his seed will produce a community of nations.

• 2 weeks later...

Jacob had returned his heart to his God, renewed his commitment, and led his family to repent and take action to deal with their sin of accepting foreign gods. In a literal and a spiritual sense he had fully returned to the place where he had first taken the God of his fathers as his own. I think the LORD appeared to him again at Bethel to reaffirm His perfect faithfulness to the promises of His covenant and to encourage Jacob that those promises did not depend on imperfect human faithfulness to God. This was a lesson for Jacob that even after great sin, God honors repentance and obedience. The LORD renewed His promises of great nations of people and kings through Jacob, and the promised land that He would give to His people.

God summoned Israel to Bethel.Israel obeyed and sought his God."Seek and you will find,knock and the door will be opened...".The ultimate purpose and promise,to draw Israel,and the community of nations that spring from him,unto God;for salvation,renewal;life itself.The promise,as stated in terms Israel can understand: to be his God,to bless him with the blessings given to his father and grandfather,including land, and a future role in God's plan for his creation.

Q4. (Genesis 35:9-15) Why do you think God appears to Jacob yet another time? What are the primary promises that God renews to Jacob?

Sometimes we all need to be reminded that we represent God Almighty, and that we are His.

God reminds Jacob that he will be a leader of uncountable people. Also, that he should replenish the earth.

Q4. (Genesis 35:9-15) Why do you think God appears to Jacob yet another time?

After Jacob built the altar, for this was a time of renewal and closeness to God.

I believe that God appears to Jacob to encourage him and to remind him of the promises that he had made to Jacob earlier.

What are the primary promises that God renews to Jacob?

The primary promises that God renews to Jacob:

"A nationa and a community of nations will come from you, and kings will come from your body." 35:11

"The land I gave to Abraham and Issac I also give to you, and I will give this land to your descendants after you." 35:12

Jacob has just had his people wash,clean, and buty or destroy all the signs of their idol worship , repent and turn to God Almighty

or leave and go to their people . Those with Jacob were now renewed to God. I feel God appeared again to Jacob to say He was accepting

the repentance of Jacob and the people and was not renewing his promise basically the manynd people and nations that would be born as his

off spring , nations and kings etc. The promis of the land he had given to Isaac and Abraham was his and that He was their God and had

accepted repentance.

1. Why do yo think God appears to Jacob yet another time?

It is probably to let Jacob know that He will continue his covenant with him and to assure him of it.

2. What are the primary promises that God renews to Jacob?

1. "I am the Almighty". (El Shaddai, 35:11b).

2. "Be fruitful and increase in number" (35:11c).

3. "A nation and a community of antions will come from you, and kings will come from your body" (35:11d).

4. "The land I gave to Abraham and Isaac I also give to you, and I will give this land to your descendants after

you" (35:12).

He renew His promise a second time because Jacob had obeyed by cleansing his family and has built an alter and offered burnt offerings to His God as he had been instructed.# "I am God Almighty" (El Shaddai, 35:11b).

# "Be fruitful and increase in number" (35:11c).

# "A nation and a community of nations will come from you, and kings will come from your body" (35:11d).

# "The land I gave to Abraham and Isaac I also give to you, and I will give this land to your descendants after you God reminded him of the promises He had already made to him.

God appeared to Jacob yet another time to encouraged against the fear of the Canaanites. The first time it was to encourage him against the fear of Esau.

Two things are promised him.

1. That he should be the father of a great nation: great in number, a company of nations shall be of thee-Every tribe of Israel was a nation, and all the twelve, a company of nations: great in honour and power, kings shall come out of thy loins.

2. That he should be master of a good land, Ge 35:12. The land that was given to Abraham and Isaac is here entailed on Jacob and his seed.

These two promises had also a spiritual signification, which we may suppose Jacob himself had some notion of: for without doubt Christ is the promised seed, and heaven is the promised land; the former is the foundation, and the latter the top-stone of all God's favours.

Why do you think God appears to Jacob yet another time?

God want to educate its nation. He wants to support it in a foreigner land, he wants to show yourself to strengthen the faith. The Israelites were as a young child, toddler that must be taught and exercised, convinced to follow the God.

"A nation and a community of nations will come from you, and kings will come from your body".

"The land I gave to Abraham and Isaac I also give to you, and I will give this land to your descendants after you".

I pondered on this question for three days because I could not figure out why Yahowah would meet with Jacob to tell his something that He had already told him and that is where I was wrong. Yahowah never told Jacob that He had given him this land, He said: “to thee will I give it” as in the future, He would give this land to Jacob when he brought him back to the land of promise. The same with the new name change. It was told to Jacob by ‘the man’ that he had wrestled with; that his name “shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.” It wasn’t officially changed yet, but that his name ’shall be no more Jacob’. By the way, this is the first time that Yahowah commands that an altar be built for worship. All others up to this point, were built out of reverence and not obedience to a command.

This time God confirms the promise to Jacob. When Yahowah God had earlier sent the angel that wrestled with Jacob, ’the man’ told Jacob that his name would not be Israel anymore and that he would be given a new name. Jacob held on to that ‘man’ all through the night and finally received the blessing that he had received both power to overcome, and also the praise of the victory.

The earlier promise at Bethel was that Yahowah Jireh would ‘one day’ give Jacob the land for himself and his descendants and that Yahowah Rohi would be with Jacob where ever he went as his Shepherd and would one day bring him back to this land of promise. This was now that time.

This time it was El-Shaddai who greeted Jacob with a blessing and Jacob didn’t have to fight for it. El-Shaddai just spoke to him and said, “Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name”. Then El-Shaddai calls him by his new name “Israel” and introduces Himself as El-Shaddai ~ All sufficient One. El-Shaddai informs Israel that all twelve of his children will each become a nation and together a company of nations and that kings will come through this people. Everything that Yahowah had sent the two angels to tell Jacob, was now being fulfilled. El-Shaddai is a God of promises who keeps them all and performed His word that He has spoken.

What are the primary promises that God renews to Jacob? All that He had originally told him.

Q4. (Genesis 35:9-15)

God wants to reaffirm His blessing to Jacob. We note that is almost identical to the promises made to Abraham in Genesis 17:4-6. We have a name change (Abram to Abraham, Jacob to Israel); a promise that kings will come from them; also a reference to being fruitful; and a promise that a

I feel that God appeared to Jacob yet another time just to let him know that He has not forsaken Jacob and still intends to fulfill what He promised Jacob.

The primary promises of God are found in the elements of the blessing God gave.

1. "I am God Almighty" (El Shaddai, 35:11b).

3. "A nation and a community of nations will come from you, and kings will come from your body" (35:11d).

4. "The land I gave to Abraham and Isaac I also give to you, and I will give this land to your descendants after you" (35:12).

Thanks,again,little flock;some thoughts emerging here:struggle against fear,obedience;God's revelation to Israel (and answer to his his request for his name)as Provider,Shepherd,One Who Sees,and as The All Mighty and Sufficient God.There might be a little of the character and lifetime transformation of Jacob/Israel in Jesus' parable of the prodigal son.

A number of years have passed, years of trial, struggle and conflict. He's had the disastrous situation in Shecham which he has had to flee and now brings him to Bethel, where God first appeared to him when he started his journey. It's a new beginning now that he's acquired a family and wealth elsewhere, to start fresh in the land God promised him "back then". It's a renewal spiritually for both Jacob and his family. A sending down of roots, and of putting the family in position to become acquainted with God and to be blessed, since his sons will carry the weight and the blessing of the promise forward. Now they will become the people "set apart and peculiar" in the midst of a heathen nation who still inhabits the land given to his family. God is now going to build a nation from this little flock.

Jesus told the church in Revelation "to return to your first love"..since they had strayed and their hearts had grown cold. This is always a wonderful place to go.....back to the newness of my relationship with the Lord. Back to simplicity and openness of heart. Back to renewed fervor and passion for Him. Back to basics. Back to only wanting to hear His voice to the exclusion of all others. Back to peace and rest....

The Lord had done this with me several times. He gives a promise, years of delay and trials ensue which make it seem that the promise is now impossible to be fulfilled, then He renews both the promise and me, and we keep moving forward, but never in the way it seemed it was going to be...but He knows best.

The promise of Abraham, which was now reiterated with a new revelation and name for God....Almighty! He was told to be fruitful and multiply, that a nation and kings would come from his body, the land God gave to Abraham and Isaac is now his and would then be given to his descendents after him.

God is still the same. Same yesterday, same today and same tomorrow. God was letting Jacob know that nothing he could do or did would ever take that away and that His love is permanent. God's promises don't come with "conditions." God promises to bless us if we just follow Him. We remove ourselves from His grace. He does not remove Himself from us. God was reminding Jacob that He is God almighty, and the He promised him many descendents, kings and nations will be in his bloodline, and land.

God always appears when ever any of his wayward children come home to him. What a great love the Father has for us.

Jacob and his family returned to God, they washed themselves and put on clean clothes and build an altar unto the Lord. And God blessed Jacob with a promise of a great people and land.

I think God appears to Jacob again to encourage him in his old age--prior to giving his sons their blessings & his death.

He #1 is #1 God is Almighty God. First & foremost, the most important thing to pass on to his children.

Then to be fruitful & multiply, bringing many nations out of their family, and the land to house them.

i think the reason god appears to jacob yet another time was to bless him once again but most importantly he wanted to change jacobs name to israel and to inform him that he was to multiply and he would be responsible for many nations and many kings being born. he would be the father of many nations and of many kings who would be born of (jacob)now officially renamed israel.

the primary promises that god renews to jacob now called israel, was he would be fruitful and multiply into many nations and many kings, he would also give the land which he had given to abraham and isaac he would also give the land to jacob called israel and to all his seed after him (jacob) he would give the land.

Q4 Like his ancestor Abraham, Jacob has obeyed and responded to God's instructions

faithfully. He has prepared all his household and his servants spiritually before

going to Bethel to build the altar. He has fulfilled the vow he has made decades

before in the very spot. It is a time of renewal and closeness of God. God appeared

to Jacob yet another time to rekindle the promise and blessings He gave to Jacob.

The primary promises that God renews to Jacob are:-

i) That He is God Almighty (El Shaddai)

ii) That Jacob be fruitful and increase in number

iii) That a nation and community of nations will come from Jacob, and kings will

come from his body.

iv) That the land God gave to Abraham and Isaac shall be given to Jacob and his

descendants after him.

Why do you think God appears to Jacob yet another time? God wanted to reaffirm the blessing that He gave to Abraham. In Genesis 35:9-10, Scriptures tell us that God appeared to him again and blessed him. God said to him,

Q4. (Genesis 35:9-15)cool.gif

"After Jacob returned from Paddan Aram, God appeared to him again and blessed him." (35:9)

God confirms to him the name of Israel, which Jacob had first received at Peniel (32:28). Then God reaffirms to him the Blessing of Abraham. I think God appears to Jacob yet another time as reaffirmation.

1. "I am God Almighty" (El Shaddai, 35:11b).

3. "A nation and a community of nations will come from you, and kings will come from your body" (35:11d).

4. "The land I gave to Abraham and Isaac I also give to you, and I will give this land to your descendants after you" (35:12).

God appears to confirm the promise given to Abraham and Isaac and to remind him that He would always be there for him.

I am God Almighty ( El Shaddai); be prosperous and multiply; I give you what I promised Abraham; and your seed will inherit the world and kings will come from you.