JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Paul's Prayer for the Colossians

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul prays for the Colossians,and gives them the prayer,so they may pray for themselves and each other,with him.In this prayer he outlines the process of drawing nearer to God.He gives them goals,and hope of receiving the guidance and strength to reach these goals.The most important (in my mind)is to please Jesus.He offers a set of criteria we can use to know that we are "on the right path":know God's will (or some small part of it that we are presently involved with),gain spiritual wisdom and understanding(as opposed to mere knowledge),bear the fruit of good works (a tree is judged by it's fruit),know God,and be strengthened by God's power to endurance,patience,thanksgiving,and joy.This is complete and perfect in form.All these aspects are related and mutually supportive.To say one is less important would not serve any good purpose that I understand.When some are missing,we fall short of the glory of God (we all do!),and are blessed with his mercy,compassion,forgiveness,and the opportunity to renew of efforts and prayers.

Q2. (Colossians 1:9-12a) What are the elements of Paul's prayer for the Colossian believers? What are the seven or eight specific results that he prays will be produced in their lives? Which of these are most important in a Christian disciple? Which, you think, are least important? What happens when some are missing?

a. The elements of Paul's prayer are : to know God. to bear fruit, to be strengthened

b. Specifically Paul prays that the believers will: increase in their knowledge of God (personal relationship), gain spiritual wisdom and understanding (through the Holy Spirit), live a life worthy of Jesus (not sloppy or sinful), bear fruit by doing good works (the evidence of faith), know God's will, and develop endurance, patience, thankfulness, and joy.

c. I think they are all important. Perhaps we can say that "increasing in the knowledge of God" would be most important, because I think that developing a closer personal relationship with Jesus is what is necessary in developing the other results in a believer's life. It is the basis of our growing in the Lord.

d. If some elements are missing, then something is wrong. We need to examine ourselves in the light of Scripture on a regular basis to allow the Holy Spirit to continue His work in our lives. If not, then we will fall into deep sin. The Scriptures are necessary on a daily basis to keep us where God wants us to be.

Knowing God and His will for them.

He prayed that they would be filled with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding that they may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way, bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power that they may have great endurance and patience, giving thanks to the Father.

Knowing God is the most important. It's hard to have a least important--all are needed for every area & time of life to become fruitful.

I think if some are missing, we're not balanced. Growth may be inhibited.

Q2. (Colossians 1:9-12a) What are the elements of Paul's prayer for the Colossian believers? What are the seven or eight specific results that he prays will be produced in their lives? Which of these are most important in a Christian disciple? Which, you think, are least important? What happens when some are missing?

Paul prays that

Paul prays for:

Knowledge of God's will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding.

To live a life worthy of the Lord and to please Him in every way, bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God.

To be strengthened with all power according to God's glorious might, so that they may have great endurance and patience and joyfully give thanks to the Father.

The results of the prayer to be.... for the people to be established in:

Spiritual wisdom

Understanding

Live life worthy of God

To please God

Bear fruit in good works

Grow in knowledge of God

Be strengthened in power according to God's might

To have endurance

To have patience

To be joyful in thanksgiving to God

It's hard to choose importance of one over the other and I don't think any is least and certainly none should be done without, but for me I have found Spiritual wisdom and Understanding imperative, for without those, our eyes are not opened to truth. But....faith without works is dead, so the others follow naturally as we come to know God and understand. I think to be strengthened in God's glorious might is very important because so many strive in their own knowledge and might and end up in vain glory not really bearing fruit in "good" works. We always need endurance and patience or our seed is no better than that thrown on rocky ground or choked out by thorns and weeds. But always, always, always we are to be joyful in thanksgiving to God is our humbleness in acknowledging that it is HIS work in and through us.

If any are missing, we are either not seeking, not bearing fruit or not acknowledging God's truth and power in any of it and we become prideful. We are no longer good Christian witnesses to others.

1. What are the elements of Paul's prayer for the Colossian believers?

Is to know God will, to have a spiritual wisdom and understanding, to live a life worthy of Jesus, one that is pleasing to him, bearing fruit by doing good works, to grow in knowledge or relationship with God, to be strenghtened by God's power so that they have the qualities of endurance, patience, thankfulness and joy.

2. What are the seven or eight specific results that he prays will be produced in their lives?

God hear Paul prayer and the results, people in Colossian have a close relationship with God and know God heart bit just like Moses have a close relationship with God. Once people in Colossian have this close relationship they also will bear spritual fruit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control...Galatians 5:22-23 (a).Plus, they will do thing that honor and please God, be the light and salt of the world,be strengthened with God

YES! YES! YES! The sentence that says "since we have heard it we have not ceased to pray for you" This type of passion in prayer "lights me up" with a "God light" :D This verse is the cry of my heart right now. This prayer offers that I can not earn the right to walk worthy of the Lord....it says that i "may" walk worthy in the Lord....as if, me the child of God, has permission to walk worthy in His sight.....along with the permission that "I may walk worthy in the Lord" it says, "being" fruitful in every good work" and "increasing in knowledge of the Lord".......It is almost like a command in its self....."YOU MAY WALK WITH THE LORD" and then "YOU WILL "BE" certain things (ie: fruitful) - not saying one day I will, or soon I will, but "I WILL BE" and (and I say very excitedly) I will be "INCREASING IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD" YES! YES! YES! It is my opinion that some one who "ceases to pray" has a real understanding of the reality of being delivered from the darkness of satan.

In Colossians 1 Paul teacher us how to pray for others, he asks that we pray that others may:

1. understand God's will

2. gain spiritual wisdom

3. please and honor God

4. bear good fruit

5. grow in the knowledge of God

6. be filled with God's Spirit

7. have great endurance and patience

8. stay full of Christ's joy

9. give thanks always

Paul is instructing us, providing us with specific tools to use when praying. This is especially useful when praying for those we don't know well. It is an effective way to pray thoroughly for others. And it is in praying for, when we are in supplication for, others that we please God. We release the power of the Holy Spirit through intercessory prayer for other people. But we also release that power in our own lives as we reach out and pray for others.

Verse 9 says "...we have NOT STOPPED praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of His will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding." And in verse 10 "...that you might live a life worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God." This sets the example for we as Christians to follow today.

Paul prays for the Colossians and prays for; Knowing Gods will, Have spritual wisdom, To live a life worthy of Jesus, To bear fruit by doing good works, Grow in your knowledge and relationship with God, Gain strength through Gods power.

It is hard to pinpoint the most or least important of these. It would seem to miss a step noted in the prayer would detract from being a fullfilled Christian.

I made note of the emphasis in the text That we are saved by Faith BUT We are saved for Good Works. This point seperates many religions on topics of saved by Fath alone. I think a true Christian who is saved proceeds to be born again and it is reflected in a Christian life which is Good Works.

1. That they not only hear the Word of the Gospel, but that they understand the Gospel and apply it to their lives. Their salvation is a gift from God granted to them by God, through Jesus Christ and not by anything they have done to deserve it....

Results of Paul's prayer is that they:

1. Live a life worthy of the Lord

2. They may please Him in every way

3. Bearing fruit in every good work

4. Growing in the knowledge of God

5. Being strengthened with all power so that

6. They may have great endurance

7. Patience

8. Joy in giving thanks to the Father.

I believe that they are all important, because if one is missing then you are weakened and fall into temptation. If you continually strive to attain all that God promises then we will have the amour of God protecting us from satan.