JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. If You Continue

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people (Titus 2:11). The grace of God is the only source of our salvation.

It is necessary for us to "continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard"(ESV) because that gospel message of grace is the only hope we have! Our progression of developing faith with its stumbling human failures and searching questions aside, if we depart from that pure hope - in any direction - we give evidence of not having a genuine faith in that hope in the first place. Real, honest faith is solid and decided, even though we will struggle with/through it at times. Life's tests and trials are opportunities for strengthening, maturing, and proving our faith.

Since we are commanded to remain, be established, firmly settle in place, and not move from our faith in the certain assurance of the gospel, this isn't just "some hope" that can be modified, manipulated, or moved. It's not an uncertain hope whose terms or outcome will/can be altered. It's the hope that is secure on the unshifting bedrock of Christ's accomplished work of God's grace toward man. That hope is so certain it's been proclaimed and assured "in all creation under heaven" (ESV) - which I believe could mean every element of creation on earth (atmospherical heavens, nature, created beings of all types), not necessarily every individual human.

We cannot lose hope. We need to grow in our faith. We have sharing & serving to do for God.

If we are moved in our faith--we open ourselves up to false teachings. If we totally fall away, it might be we weren't really a Christian to begin with.

IF we continue in our faith--established/firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel--eternal life with Jesus!!

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not f Colossians 1:23 in its appropriate context.)

It is necessary to continue in faith because without faith you are lost without faith there can be no remission for sin. we must believe that Jesus is who He says and will do what He says He will do, and we must believe that God sent Him to die for our sin and He rose the third day or else our faith is worthless. If we lose our faith then it is as if we never believe at all and we are dead in our sin.The nature of security we have is that Jesus has saved us there is nothing we need do but continue in faith that we had when we first heard the gospel.

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"? What happens if we don't? What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only*)?

In Colossians, Paul is making the case that Jesus is all they need. They were being drawn away by false teachings and he wants to convince them that by moving toward the false teachings they are moving away from The Truth. Therefore, he is reminding them that their hope is rooted entirely in the person of Jesus Christ and his blood sacrifice that cleanses from sin and makes us perfect "in Him."

The Contemporary English Version of this verse shows Paul encouraging them to "stay firm in their faith" and not to "give up their hope."

- "But you must stay deeply rooted and firm in your faith. You must not give up the hope you received when you heard the good news. It was preached to everyone on earth, and I myself have become a servant of this message." (Colossians 1:23 CEV)

The Good News Bible indicates that they were being "shaken from their hope."

- "You must, of course, continue faithful on a firm and sure foundation, and must not allow yourselves to be shaken from the hope you gained when you heard the gospel. It is of this gospel that I, Paul, became a servant---this gospel which has been preached to everybody in the world." (Colossians 1:23 GNB)

I understand that the Greek word for "moved away from" (KJV) used in this context means to be "stirred to a place elsewhere."

Paul wanted them to know that, if they were seduced into looking for salvation elsewhere, they would not find it. And, in the process, they would lose the only hope they have. Their security lies in Him alone and it is complete without needing anything else.

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"?

The true Christian faith is lived in union with Jesus, by faith in him, walking with him, receiving his encouragement and forgiveness throughout our lives.

What happens if we don't?

We separate ourselves from sweet fellowship with Him.

What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only*)?

Our only hope (our security) is found in union with Christ -- and this is the great and firm hope held out to us in the gospel. Because of Him we can be presented

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"? What happens if we don't? What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only*)?

*Please don't use proof texts from other verses in the New Testament, but interpret Colossians 1:23 in its appropriate context.

Steadfastness in the faith is an essential of true religion: a tree often transplanted cannot thrive. Since the gospel is assuredly the truth of God, it is foolishness in the extreme to be enticed from it by the novel teachings of men.

It is the great duty of Christians, who have sat under the preaching of the gospel, to be well settled in the doctrine of faith, which they have heard and received, and that the best way to be settled, is to be well grounded; if we are not settled in religion, we can never grow in religion; an ungrounded Christian can never be a growing Christian; and if we are not well grounded in the faith,we can never suffer for the faith.

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"?

God

Q4. (Colossians 1:23)

If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"?

What happens if we don't?

What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only*)?

*Please don't use proof texts from other verses in the New Testament, but interpret Colossians 1:23 in its appropriate context.

If we have been truly saved, our lives will show it, and we will want to continue in the faith. Perseverance proves that our faith is genuine. We persevere knowing our reward will be in heaven. We must be careful when our hearts grow cold, and we lose interest in the Bible. For our hope is in the gospel. Everything that God does for us comes either directly or indirectly from the Bible. There is no substitute for the Bible in our personal growth.

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"? What happens if we don't? What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only)? (Please don't use proof texts from other verses in the New Testament, but interpret Colossians 1:23 in its appropriate context.)

It is totally necessary for us to read the word every day, and talk to the Father through Jesus many times a day. If we don't, we'll just fall away. We have to know what the Bible says in order to stand firm, and not be turned away to false doctrines-doctrines of devils.

Just like I said-If we read and know what the word says, and believe that what we read is real, and stand on it-don't be moved away from it-we can be secure in Jesus. Perseverance undeer pressure is the test. No matter what happens-lost job, death of a loved one-these things are difficult. Many difficult things will come. The important thing is to cry out to God when things get bad. Rely on God for comfort and courage-stand firm through Him who died for us. If we rely on Jesus, and stand on the word-there is nothing we can't get through! I hope I didn't leave the bounds of this question-I got excited!

agreed!

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to "continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved"? What happens if we don't? What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only)? (Please don't use proof texts from other verses in the New Testament, but interpret Colossians 1:23 in its appropriate context.)

Satan tempts us to turn away from faith in Jesus. He will try whatever avenue he can get a foot it. His goal is to get us to lose our hope, confidence and trust in the goodness of Jesus. Just like with Eve, he tells us there is something else that God is holding back from us. He tempts us to look in other places for satisfaction through our earthly lusts which he capitalizes on. We must put on the whole armor of God to withstand him, including taking up the shield of faith. If we believe the lies of Satan, we bring misery and harm upon ourselves and others around us. The Holy Spirit calls us to repentence, and we must respond to that. If we don't, we continually harden our hearts.

In Colossians, the context of this Scripture is that the believers were being tempted to turn back to Judaism for their salvation.

Q4 We need to continue in our faith, established and firm, not moved especially in this

challenged world. We face a lot of temptations and persecution. If our faith is

weak, we are easily swayed and fallen. We need to build our faith on a strong

foundation in Christ Jesus so that when trials and tribulations come our way we can

stand firm. It is necessary for us to live in union with Jesus and immersed

ourselves in Him and to receive His purification and forgiveness of our sins.

With Christ we have everything but cut away from Him we are nothing. We are doomed.

We have HOPE. Salvation belongs to our God. Jesus has saved us from our sins by

His death on the cross. It is through Him victory is won for us. Since we have

heard the GOOD NEWS we on our part need to proclaim this message to all mankind and

to serve our Living God.

Q4. (Colossians 1:23) If our salvation depends upon the grace of God, not us, why is it necessary for us to continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved? What happens if we dont? What is the nature of the security we have in Jesus according to this text (and this text only)? (Please dont use proof texts from other verses in the New Testament, but interpret Colossians 1:23 in its appropriate context.)

The way I see this is our life is like a chalk board with our actions and the reasons of our actions written on it. We all have sinned and continue writing our sinful actions on the chalk board. When we turn to Christ, he takes the eraser and removes the history of our sinful actions. He then gives us back the chalk to continue writing. The question is what are we writing. Faith is not an idle word, it is an action word.

The mistake most people make is that knowledge and faith are the same thing. Knowledge in itself is a waste, knowledge of God's word put into action is faith. When the actions of the executives of Enron Corporation were exposed a pastor of a church said, "These people are good Christians, who attend church." The only problem is; they forgot that stealing was wrong. They for got the big little word, "IF" you continue. "IF" you love me you will keep my commands. "IF" you obey all my commands I will keep you. If we, who are forgiven, continue in our sinful nature it is like saying that the faith God took in sending His Son for our sake was wasted..

Paul says to add to our faith, all kinds of action that will keep us on track. When I was a child I liked to sit in my dad's car and pretend like I was driving. I didn't get anywhere but it was fun moving the steering wheel around. Faith which is not in motion is like sitting in a car that is parked.

Darrell

The mistake most people make is that knowledge and faith are the same thing. Knowledge in itself is a waste, knowledge of God's word put into action is faith. When the actions of the executives of Enron Corporation were exposed a pastor of a church said, "These people are good Christians, who attend church." The only problem is; they forgot that stealing was wrong. They for got the big little word, "IF" you continue. "IF" you love me you will keep my commands. "IF" you obey all my commands I will keep you. If we, who are forgiven, continue in our sinful nature it is like saying that the faith God took in sending His Son for our sake was wasted..

Darrell

That's why Paul prays for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom in Col 1:9. Knowledge to know that stealing is wrong, understanding to know what stealing is, and wisdom to daily choose not to steal. Thanks again for your illustrations. RodR