JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Sexual Temptation

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Colossians 3:5) Why is sexual l u s t so difficult for people, especially males? Though we cannot deny that we are sexual beings, how can we keep sexual desire from controlling us and causing us to sin?

Males seem to be more visually stimulated and pretty girls appear attractive to most males so there is 'natural' drawing power there.....but it is God's plan and desire for us to be united to Him and not have anything else as an idol and that is what would be the case if we allowed these desires to control us and we think and do things contrary to loving God first. By faith and God's Spirit in us, by earnestly seeking God and His Word, we can keep sexual desire controlled and we won't fall, we will be victorious and overcome the evil one.

I think sexual desires are so difficult, for men especially, because it is a natural by-product of the way humans are created. God built in the attraction of men to women and women to men. I understand that men are "wired" differently, and especially as it relates to visual triggers. And the suggestive clothing and immodest behavior of women today must be total agony and an unrelenting battle - even in our churches, I must say. I've often used the reference in our lesson of 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8 to counsel young women of their responsibility to "control their own bodies in a way that is holy and honorable" to avoid causing wrong against our brothers or taking advantage of them (vss.4,6). Men must choose/learn to deal with lustful passions appropriately in submitting them to God, but women are going to be judged for our lack of modesty, destructive influence on others, and impure representation of Christ. (And men have also become much looser with these same issues.)

The only way to control sexual desire that leads to sin is by the merciful help and power of the Spirit. That begins with recognizing that it is unholy treatment of what God created for great good between a man and a woman united in marriage. [That inseparable union is to picture the union of Christ and His Bride - which I think is one reason sexual temptation/sin is such an important tool for satan and is so specifically/harshly condemned by the LORD.] And there are practical steps we must take to choose not to entertain/meditate on "sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness" in our thoughts or indulge by acting on them. You'll never willingly act on something you haven't already accepted in your mind.

In this letter, Paul had already indicated that false teaching and human philosophies were a threat to the believers in Colossae. These Gentile Christians came out of a background of worship of false gods like Zeus, Artemis, Athena, and Demeter. The temples of these gods were prominent centers of false worship that affected work and family - and included a great deal of despicable sexual perversion as part of worship practices that sought to gain favor with the gods. Paul was acknowledging that, "In these you too once walked, when you were living in them."(vs.7). He was telling them they were now dead to these things and exhorting them to put even the thoughts of these things to death in the practical living out of their new lives in Christ.

Q2. (Colossians 3:5) Why is sexual **** so difficult for people, especially males? Though we cannot deny that we are sexual beings, how can we keep sexual desire from controlling us and causing us to sin?

**** is a battle for us all. Christians

Sexual lu*t is difficult because our culture today teaches that sexual activity is okay as long as it is consensual between the parties involved. It is especially difficult for males as they seem to be created with a very strong sex drive for procreation. How to keep this sexual desire from controlling us and causing us to sin is not an easy thing for some people, but with the Lord Jesus help, and discipline of learning to setting one

For males it's more difficult because of biological differences.

Males have another working of hormones and are biologically made to produce as much offspring as possible.

Women can make only one baby every 9 months so we have to be more careful who we have sex with.

We can resist bad thoughts if we really want it.

Most people love sinning to much to even try to resist and then they blame in on something else.

However, we have to take full responsability for our thoughts and deeds.

Q2. (Colossians 3:5) Why is sexual l u s t so difficult for people, especially males? Though we cannot deny that we are sexual beings, how can we keep sexual desire from controlling us and causing us to sin?

Why is sexual l u s t so difficult for people, especially males? The world has twisted God's words and rationalize that sexual desires are normal desires, and as long as sex is between 2 consenting partners there is no harm. Also, on a daily basis, we are being bombarded with messages that fans the flames of sexual **** through what we hear, see, watch and read. Therefore we have to be mindful that what we hear, see, watch and read, helps us set our minds on things above.

Though we cannot deny that we are sexual beings, how can we keep sexual desire from controlling us and causing us to sin? We are to remind ourselves that sex is only permissible within the confines of marriage. We have to put to death unhealthy sexual desires and every habit/act that leads to sinful sexual desires. We must, with the help of the Holy Spirit live a holy life. We must call out to God to help us whenever we face temptation. God is faithful and He will help us.

It is in our nature, and especially in the male nature, to want to produce as many offspring as possible. In order to produce offspring, it is necessary to have sex and from that God given nature springs our sexual desire. The trouble is that this sexual desire, this gift from God, can be perverted and become a form of idolatry ever craving the next sexual high, from wherever it may come. Sex in itself is not wrong, but it is a gift from God to be used, to be enjoyed, but never to be abused. With sex, as with so many other forms of temptation the easiest way of looking at this is to remember that God sees everything and is with us at all times. Am I comfortable with that thought, that reality, in everything I do? Train your mind on that thought, and everything else falls into place.

Hi Pastor Ralph What did you say to the member of your congregation who said that he couldn't see anything in the Bible against sex before marriage? I guess I am asking where does it say that 2 people who love and are committed to each other, are not married to anyone else and who aren't intending to indulge in some sexual perversion (and I have no doubt that the couple you descibed in your congregation fell into this category) should not have sex notwithstanding that they aren't married? I know that this is a strong church teaching, but where does it come from? Which part of scripture can I point to when asked?

Q2. (Colossians 3:5) Why is sexual **** so difficult for people, especially males? Though we cannot deny that we are sexual beings, how can we keep sexual desire from controlling us and causing us to sin?

For males it's more difficult because of biological differences.

By knowing the truth from God word. First of all we must set our mind on thing above... Those who live according to flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For this reason the mind is set on the flesh is hostile to God;it does not submit to God's law- indeed it cannot and those who are in the flesh cannot please God...(Romans 8:5-8) other than that, our old selves need to death... Put to death therefore whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, ****, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these the wrath of God is coming. You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger,rage, malice, slander and filthy language from your lips (col 3:5-8). Beside we need to pray and ask God to help us... we must always remember God is Holy...

I think sexual **** is difficult to people for many different reasons. First, we all have a God given sexual drive that is very strong by God's design. Men for the most part are visual beings and are tempted outside of marriage to **** after what they "see". If women do not feel loved and cared for, they act out "perceived" love in sexual misbehavior to satisfy an emotion. Many sexual addictions grow out of other areas. Sexual abuse in formative years contributes to confusion about love and sex. Unhealthy decisions to view *********** "just once" can set anyone on a journey battling **** and sexual sin for years. Going to see sexually charged movies, though rated acceptable by society or listening to sexually explicit music can all affect our willingness to give in to temptation when confronted with the real opportunity. Our society bombards us with everything sexual in magazines, on TV and anywhere advertisement is seen!

So...in the midst of all these circumstances....how can we keep sexual desire from controlling us? From one who suffered from sexual molestation as a young teen from persons in authority, I took a plunge down into the darkness of immorality and all the "stuff" that came with it. I first had to learn who I was in Christ. That He loved me and never left me through those times and that He had plans for me to take me from that way of life and give me wholeness and a new life. I took His hand and began my journey, first overcoming bitterness and forgiving those who abused me. As the heaviness and darkness fell away, I began to see who God had created me to be and that I was worth more than what I had experienced and had begun to treat myself like. He loved me so much...through so much....I fell in love with Him....and I've never been the same! The journey was long and hard.....but believing in His love gave me the courage to get back up after every slip and fall. I was consumed with knowing Him more and more and the Bible became my constant companion. It became life to me. I learned ways to overcome from the Word and through Bible studies that I'm never without. One was on "Pulling the window shade of your mind" when faced with temptations or images. I literally learned to bring one down on my thoughts when anything tried to enter in. I prayed and prayed and prayed for help and cried and cried and cried when I failed. In it, God was faithful....but I had to choose....to believe....to follow....and to live.....accepting His goodness and promises to me.

God created the sexual drive because it fuels his command to be fruitful and multiply. To keep sexual drive from causing us to sin is to obey God

I think that today cars, appearance, clothes are all about making one look sexy. I think that that the subliminal messages touch men more. The are triggerred constantly. I think by seeking the deeper level before God the sexual desire can be controlled.

Some were brought up in a culture that promoted "free love". Anything was the excepted norm. When we take Jesus as our Lord and Savior, the lusts that we thought were good we now see as wrong. Anything that separates us from God is an idol, and is very dangerous! We must recognize these desires for what they are, and change our way of thinking. Surround ourselves with thoughts and images that will promote good feelings and thoughts.

Why is sexual l u s t so difficult for people, especially males?

We have the sin nature in us, and it seems from the time we are born we want to gratify ourselves, whether it is by a cookie, a hidden thouhgt. I don't know if sexual sin and **** is more difficult for men because they are more visual creatures than females, but women have the same base thoughts, and must fight them also.

Though we cannot deny that we are sexual beings, how can we keep sexual desire from controlling us and causing us to sin?

We need to remember daily , hourly, whatever it takes that we are indeed new in Christ Jesus and He is the one who can help us overcome this nature. It is a walk, to learn and gorw with Him.

First of all the desire for sex is strong and innate - secondly, the world we live in tries to rationize it as being the natural thing to do - third, casual sex is socially acceptable to those outside of a true relationship with God - and finally, it was a part of our old nature and if it is not mortified once we become believers, it has the ability to influence us. . .

By renewing our minds so that our lives are lived in agreement with the will and purpose of God and according to His Word. . .

B)

Mostly because of the culture we live in, with consenting adults it is a common practice in today's world. Not to mention T.V. magazines, music etc. Remember the old saying if it feels good do it. We all have a natural desires, but all the outside stimulus is not helpful at all. 1st off the love of Christ constrains me!!!!! Keep your mind on things that are pure, and good, like the word of God. Avoid situations that could cause hazardous results. Any relationship worth having is worth waiting for.

It seems to control our thoughts because everything we see or hear can lead to sexual thoughts and desires. It can control our very lives if we don't try and control it. Control of sexual desire for some is though of as easy but to some it is a daily struggle and for some they just don't try. **** for anything can become a controlling thing if we let it.

Q2. (Colossians 3:5)

Why is sexual **** so difficult for people, especially males?

Though we cannot deny that we are sexual beings, how can we keep sexual desire from controlling us and causing us to sin?

Sexual ****, like every sin is basically selfishness, the worship of self instead of the worship of God. We see this often in males who want to stamp their authority on others. Where believers are not yielded to the Holy Spirit, sexual sins often come into their lives and prove their downfall. God made man with the power for reproduction. But the sin comes when those things which God has so graciously bestowed upon us are used for vile, illicit purposes. The only way to control our sexual desires is by realizing we are new creatures. We focus more on heavenly things than on earthly things. With the help of the Holy Spirit we are increasingly being sanctified. Each day we are becoming more and more like Jesus. In this new life we are closely united with Christ and as we read in Col 3:3,

I think sexual **** is difficult to people for many different reasons. First, we all have a God given sexual drive that is very strong by God's design. Men for the most part are visual beings and are tempted outside of marriage to **** after what they "see". If women do not feel loved and cared for, they act out "perceived" love in sexual misbehavior to satisfy an emotion. Many sexual addictions grow out of other areas. Sexual abuse in formative years contributes to confusion about love and sex. Unhealthy decisions to view *********** "just once" can set anyone on a journey battling **** and sexual sin for years. Going to see sexually charged movies, though rated acceptable by society or listening to sexually explicit music can all affect our willingness to give in to temptation when confronted with the real opportunity. Our society bombards us with everything sexual in magazines, on TV and anywhere advertisement is seen!

So...in the midst of all these circumstances....how can we keep sexual desire from controlling us? From one who suffered from sexual molestation as a young teen from persons in authority, I took a plunge down into the darkness of immorality and all the "stuff" that came with it. I first had to learn who I was in Christ. That He loved me and never left me through those times and that He had plans for me to take me from that way of life and give me wholeness and a new life. I took His hand and began my journey, first overcoming bitterness and forgiving those who abused me. As the heaviness and darkness fell away, I began to see who God had created me to be and that I was worth more than what I had experienced and had begun to treat myself like. He loved me so much...through so much....I fell in love with Him....and I've never been the same! The journey was long and hard.....but believing in His love gave me the courage to get back up after every slip and fall. I was consumed with knowing Him more and more and the Bible became my constant companion. It became life to me. I learned ways to overcome from the Word and through Bible studies that I'm never without. One was on "Pulling the window shade of your mind" when faced with temptations or images. I literally learned to bring one down on my thoughts when anything tried to enter in. I prayed and prayed and prayed for help and cried and cried and cried when I failed. In it, God was faithful....but I had to choose....to believe....to follow....and to live.....accepting His goodness and promises to me.

Thank you for sharing such a personal and powerful testimony of the grace of our LORD. So many important thoughts here about who we are in Christ, how to find our true worth, and how to battle temptation. God bless you.

Q2. (Colossians 3:5) Why is sexual sin so difficult for people, especially males? Though we cannot deny that we are sexual beings, how can we keep sexual desire from controlling us and causing us to sin?

Sexual sins are difficult to control because we no longer recognize their danger and deceit. TV shows, movies, and even advertising use sex to sell and we become de-sensitized to its negative effects on our lives. We substitute what is natural and "God designed" with what is unnatural and "satan inspired."

Being disciplined in what we choose to look at can help keep sexual desire from controlling us. Remembering that we have died to sin and filling our thoughts with things above (Phil 4:8) through Bible study and prayer can help keep us from sexual sin.

sexual **** is difficult for people, especially males because everything in the world today is based on sex. commercials advertising products, movies, television and even the way people dress promotes sex at every turn, even magazines that were considered family magazines are filled with sexual innuendo. it is, supposedly more difficult for men as men are supposedly weaker when it comes to those sort of things, **** is not encouraged by love but lack of it. god made us man and woman to populate the world but through the years **** has become an addiction because of the temptation out there. love is what should attract us to others not ****, god meant it to be a good thing but when love becomes **** then the devil has you in his power.

we can keep sexual desire from controlling us and causing us to sin by being more focused on god and what he wants us to be. we can try to stay away from all the bad stuff that is out there tempting and luring us to do and feel the wrong kind of feelings and live as god would want us too, not desiring things or people we have no right to.