JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Instructions for Employers

• 1 month later...

People who are responsible for overseeing other people are accountable to "love others as you love yourself" (Matt.22:39). An employer is to treat employees rightly and pay them fairly, in the same way they want to be dealt with (Matt.7:12). The rise of corporate oversight of business in our culture today has stripped away much of the personal concern that used to exist for employees, turning them into faceless names for the most part.

I don't know an answer to changing that, but if each boss in the tier treated the employees they directly supervise according to Paul's challenge, the workplace would be transformed. In the practical sense, employee loyalty and job satisfaction would strengthen. The workplace would be an environment where people care about each other as much as the job they are there to do. And I think overall productivity would grow. In a more spiritual sense, it would be a place where God's principles are reflected and honored. He is the One who gives the work and the blessing - and will judge how they are appropriated.

Q4. (Colossians 3:25-4:1) What instructions does Paul give masters -- or employers, in our culture? What would happen in the workplace if employers sought to live by this rule?

Paul tells employers that they also have a responsibility to their employees. They are to treat their employees as they would have God treat themselves. If employers lived by this rule they would consider the needs of their employees and treat them in the same way they would want to be treated. They would treat them fairly and honestly. They would see that their employees were adequately compensated for their work and not "taken advantage of." If all employers lived by this rule there would be fewer labor problems.

Q4. (Colossians 3:25-4:1) What instructions does Paul give masters -- or employers, in our culture? What would happen in the workplace if employers sought to live by this rule?

Paul is instructing masters and employers that they should pay fair wages and treat their employees justly. And leaders should take care of their volunteers and not abuse them.

Am very sure that if employers could have lived by this rule most of the strikes and demonstrations that happen could no longer be there .

Paul warns that masters and employers should be careful how they treat their employees because the same way that they treat their employees is how God will treat them. You will reap what you sow. God is the master and he will pay us according to our works. Employers business i believe will thrive even the more if employees were treated with respect, and not just as a commodity. I know first hand to work in a place where favoritism is high. I get very discouraged. But i know that God sits high and looks low and He knows my situation concerning my job. please pray for me concerning this.

Paul warns that masters and employers should be careful how they treat their employees because the same way that they treat their employees is how God will treat them. You will reap what you sow. God is the master and he will pay us according to our works. Employers business i believe will thrive even the more if employees were treated with respect, and not just as a commodity. I know first hand to work in a place where favoritism is high. I get very discouraged. But i know that God sits high and looks low and He knows my situation concerning my job. please pray for me concerning this.

I will pray for you and your boss. It's amazing how God touches the heart of a boss who is earnestly prayed for.smile.gif

Q4. (Colossians 3:25-4:1)

What instructions does Paul give masters - or employers, in our culture?

What would happen in the workplace if employers sought to live by this rule?

Paul is addressing the unjust employer; those who take advantage of their employees. They should remember that we are all equal before God. Paul warns them that they will have to give an account to the Lord. An employer who has grown rich through unfair labour practices are unacceptable to God. In an ideal Christian workplace the employer would pay a proper wage not withholding payment. Besides paying a fair wage employees will be treated with respect. We will have a fully functional workplace with everyone doing their best for the Lord.

The instructions Paul gives to employers is a reminder of their responsibility to their employees - basically that they should have a greater concern for their employees that their bottom line. . . They should treat their employees with dignity and respect - pay them an honest wage and benefits. . .

If these things were to be done the atmosphere at the work place would change drastically - employees attitudes would be such that the quality of the product would be such that it would result in that company being successful. . .

B)

God wants employers to know that they are to treat people, not the way that they were treated, but the way that they wanted to be treated when they were employees.God wants employers to know that how they treat their employees is how they will be treated, and how their business will prosper. Employers should treat their employees with respect because employees are people and one day that employer will have a child working, how would they want that child to be treated.

Q4. (Colossians 3:25-4:1) What instructions does Paul give masters – or employers, in our culture?

Masters, on your part deal with your slaves/employees justly and fairly, knowing that also you have a Master in Heaven.

What would happen in the workplace if employers sought to live by this rule?

The employer and the business would be blessed because of their obedience, in many ways including increased income because output would increase. Blessing always follows obedience.

The employees would be blessed by working in a safe environment with fair wages where they know the employer is looking out for their best interests which leads to a good and grateful attitude.

The atmosphere in that place of business would be peaceful rather than the grumbling and complaining which prevails when employees believe they are being cheated which results in withholding production and output as employees try to "get justice for themselves" through rebellion, "stealing" time through too long breaks and lunches, leaving early, coming in late, surfing the net and just plain dawdling rather than working.

I believe that Unions are the result of disobedience to God's law. They are man's attempt to enforce what God commanded, and was not put into practice. Now we and other countries are reaping the results of greed, mismanagement, corruption, overreaching what is fair and just, and which is in large part responsible for much of the bankruptcy in states such as California, New Jersey, New York, and countries such as Greece.

Paul intructs Masters/ Employers to provide for their slaves/ employees needs and to be fair, just and rght in doing so.

If this teaching is practiced by all employers, the work place will be wonderful place to be and there won't be any need for unions.

Q4. (Colossians 3:25-4:1) What instructions does Paul give masters