JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Offensive Baptism

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Matthew 3:5-10; Luke 7:30) How would Johns baptism have offended a Jews national pride? Who welcomed Johns baptism? Who resisted it? Why?

There were three main Jewish political and religious movements - the Sadducees, Pharisees and Essenes. The Sadducees had a conservative outlook and accepted only the written Law of Moses. Many wealthy Jews were Sadducees or sympathized with them. The Pharisees perhaps meant to obey God, but eventually they became so devoted and extremist in very limited parts of The Law (plus all that they themselves added to it), that they became blind to The Messiah when He was in their very midst. They saw His miracles, they heard His Words, but instead of receiving it with joy, they did all that they could to stop Him - eventually to the point of getting Him killed because He truthfully claimed to be the Son of God. These two groups resisted John's baptism, which was a baptism of repentance of sins, believing themselves to be above such a public display of repentance and cleansing. Those who received John's baptism were truly repentant and accepted John's exhortation to "repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand". John's baptism struck at the heart of Jewish pride and belief. Jews believed in the inherent goodness of the world and its people as creations of God. Jews do not accept the Christian concept of original sin i.e. the belief that all people have inherited Adam and Eve's sin when they disobeyed God's instructions in the Garden of Eden. Jews believe that they are able to sanctify their lives and draw closer to God by performing and fulfilling rituals such as the mitzvot. Jews do not recognize the need for a savior as an intermediary with God.

Some Jews thought because they kept the laws of Moses there was no reason to go down in water. They had kept the law. The Jews who accepted baptism they understood they need more than just attempting to follow the laws of Moses. They realized that no matter how hard they tried. The law only confirmed that they could not keep the law. They need more than does and don

Anyone who attracted attention from the masses on the subject of religion was a potential threat to the Jews. If they found their followers, which was essentially their power base, following another leader, they could lose their power and influence among the people. In the case of John the Baptist, he brought a message that conflicted with the Pharisee's beliefs in the practice of the law ('repent from original sin' and 'the kingdom of heaven (God) is at hand) and attracted many people to be baptised. Therefore, the Jews could not give support to such a practice as baptism & repentance.

Baptism goes along with repentance; It would have been the case that the Jews believed that because Abraham was thier father, and God accorded Abraham with salvation because of his faith, that similarly, the Jews would likewise be awarded salvation because of Abraham. They believed that all they had to do is keep the law, and atone for thier sins by making sacrifice. John is saying that this is not so. (...you brood of vipers, Who warned you to flee and escape from the wrath and indignation." The Amplified says that this indignation comes from God because of thier (Pharisees and Sadducees) disobedience, thinking they are above reproach. This was a total and blatant attack on the Pharisees, and Sadducees understanding of the law. The people who accepted what John was saying and welcomed the Baptism were those who understood they were broken, and were sinners in need of salvation. It was those who were convicted by the Holy Spirit and led to true repentance. The Pharisees and Sadducees are the ones that resisted John's message because they were to proud and self centered to see thier sin.

The Jews knew they were God's people...others had to "wash" themselves to "become" one of God's people...not them, so they believed. For them to be baptized meant they had to admit they had sin. They were filled with arrogance and pride...and John the Baptist recognized it and called it. John was to announce Jesus and Jesus came to bring light in dark places.

Q2. (Matthew 3:5-10; Luke 7:30) How would John's baptism have offended a Jew's national pride?

A great number of Jewish people came from all parts of the country to be baptized, so I do not see where the Jewish nation was offended.

Who welcomed John's baptism?

The kingdom of God was offered to Israel in the person of the Messiah, many of those who welcomed Johns baptism came from all the regions round about Jerusalem, Jordan, and Judaea, they were those who understood sin a violation of the Torah, called for true repentance, with baptism revealing a living metaphor of purification.

Who resisted it and Why?

I am not sure how many of the Pharisees and Sadducees resisted Johns baptism, but the word says many of them came whos fruits did not did not reveal true repentance, seemingly not to understand, it didnt matter if one was a descendant of a holy man like Abraham, each individual is called to repentance.

Q2. (Matthew 3:5-10; Luke 7:30) How would Johns baptism have offended a Jews national pride? Who welcomed Johns baptism? Who resisted it? Why?

The Jews put their pride in the fact that they were decended from Abraham. they felt they were righteous because of this relationship with Abraham. In their minds and hearts they were full of pride . and they felt Abrahams faith benefited them.

But true repentance is in your mind and hearts in other words it is inside their inner man.John was not looking for the

repentant words but the fruit and acts they wrer showing to others and family etc that showed they had changed.

I would be interested in your verses relevant to "and with fire."

John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: (Luk 3:16)

Possibly,

I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? (Luk 12:49)

or (re: racial pride),

And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire. (Mat 3:9-12)

or (refiner's fire),

But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: (Mal 3:2)

That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: (1Pe 1:7)

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God. (Zec 13:9)

It is a blessing to study with believers.

How would John’s baptism have offended a Jew’s national pride? Well to the practicing Jew the baptism of John would have taken alot of humility because as was described: "the antecedent for John's baptism is the first century practice of Jewish proselyte baptism, a ritual bath by which a Gentile convert to Judaism was cleansed from moral and religious impurity". They would have to say in their hearts that what they beleived was wrong and repent from it. They would have been outcasts from their own people.

Who welcomed John’s baptism? It seems the regular everyday Jew who was not learned in the law and religious communities of the day and were seeking God.

Who resisted it? The Pharisees, Sadducee, religoious leaders of the day and the lawgivers. They thought themselves holier than thou and no in need of repentance.

Why? They felt they kept the law and were outwardly righteous and were not right inwardly.

Q2. (Matthew 3:5-10; Luke 7:30) How would John's baptism have offended a Jew's national pride? Who welcomed John's baptism? Who resisted it? Why?

The Baptism of John offended the Jew

Q2. (Matthew 3:5-10; Luke 7:30) How would John's baptism have offended a Jew's national pride? Who welcomed John's baptism? Who resisted it? Why?

According to Mark 1:4, John's baptism was a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. The Pharisees and experts in the Law of Moses knew they were God's people and thought that was enough. Tax collectors, publicans, common people welcomed a way to "make themselves right with God." Pharisees, religious leaders, and experts in the Law rejected John's call to repentance as unnecessary and beneath them. They believed that keeping the commands of the Law was enough.

Answer:Jew national pride are that THEY ARE THE CHOSEN ONE..They came from Abraham..Matthew 3:9- And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to [our] father..

They are the Chosen one,and they are the only righteous one are,way up above those who are not Jews..

The Jew also prided themselves as the one who followed the Mosaic Law to the Letter,including those rituals,festivities,sacrifices,etc

How would John's baptism have offended a Jew's national pride? It is my belief do to the fact that baptism by immersion was associated with people from other nations whom desired to become a proselyte this would have offended a Jew, and most certainly the leadership. In the minds of those who chose not to come unto the baptism of repentance they did not need to. They were blind by a perceived title of entitlement and pride. In their minds why should they confess, what were they to repent of. They followed the Law (in their understanding); they were of Abraham.

confessing their sins (Proverbs 28:12)In Matthew ,3 baptism was used as an outward sign of repentance and forgiveness, identifying with the message John preached. History tells us that the Hebrews were familiar with washing in regards to cleansing (Exodus 30:17-21 repeated washing , wash, Ezekiel 36:25). Spoken word (Talmud) and history tells us they were familiar with baptism of proselytes from heathenism (self immersion). This baptism was not simply following what had been practiced, it placed the hearer Jewish and non-Jew at the same circumstance, challenging them REPENT, start all over.

To ask them to baptize as did the proselyte (gentiles), a stranger who desired to be adopted into the family of Israel was offensive to them in their minds.

Who welcomed John's baptism? Jesus, Scripture tells us that Jesus knew no sin, so why did Jesus ask to be baptized? The words for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness imply that it was necessary for the plan of God.

Truthfully only Christ knows, however we can speculate some good reasons He did: He was advancing God's work - He did not stand as an onlooker as did the Pharisees & Sadducees - He was endorsing the call of John the Baptizer - He by His actions was confessing the sins on behalf of the nation - He was identifying with the penitent people of God - He was giving an example to those afterwards (to include us) - He was obedient to the Father. Lastly there was no particular precept in the Old Testament requiring a Hebrew to be baptized by immersion. Although Jesus was not after the Levitical priesthood, Scripture declares Him as High Priest. As the high priest was initiated into His office by washing and anointing, so must Jesus. Therefore although without sin He was baptized, washed, and anointed by the Holy Ghost. By doing so He fulfilled the righteous ordinance of His initiation into the office of high priest, and thus was prepared (preparing) to make an atonement for the sins of mankind.

Who resisted it? The Pharisees, the Sadducees and those they influenced

Why? I believe the main reason was FLESH, pride. The common teaching of that day said that the Jews participated in the merits of Abraham, which made their prayers acceptable, helped in war, expiated sins, appeased the wrath of God, and assured a share in God's eternal Kingdom. Prophetically the mentioned are true, (Abraham believed God) just as one must believe and have a personal relationship with God, they must also repent of their own sins. Consequently John and Jesus preached the necessity of personal repentance.