JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Water and Spirit Baptisms

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Water baptism was like an object lesson. It was a tangible example of baptism in His Spirit. When you subject yourself to emersion in water, in a sense, you have subjected yourself to the control that the water has over you. E.g. if you remained under water, it would eventually take your life. In a similar way, when we subject ourselves to the baptism of the Holy Spirit, we are surrendering to His control over our life. As Christians, we know that to surrender to God and to be baptised in His Spirit is the way to go but I think it is always a struggle to give up control of one's life, one's lifestyle, popularity if necessary, source of means... ego. Remember that it is a spiritual battle (Ephes 6:12). Therefore, it is won on our knees.

DO I REALLY LONG TO BE OVERWHELMED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT? Perhaps not all the time. I know in my head that there is no other way yet, somehow, I still tend to compartmentalise my thinking and my life. I need to reach a point of Absolute Surrender. (See book by Andrew Murray entitled Absolute Surrender for a really challenging read on the subject. ISBN 1-86920-112-4)

The point of comparison between John's actions and Yeshua's actions is this, the baptism itself. However, John baptizes with water, but Yeshua baptises with the Holy Spirit. This is the point of difference. Yes, I do wish to be overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit, for it is no longer I who exists but Christ in me. Although still human, still sinful, still making mistakes...I am covered by His blood, and justified by God's Grace, and the process of Sanctification has begun. Yeshua promises in John 14:12-13 (AMP) 12 I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, if anyone steadfastly believes in Me, he will himself be able to do the things that I do; and he will do even greater things than these, because I go to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in My Name [as presenting all that I AM], so that the Father may be glorified and extolled in (through) the Son". This is done through the Holy Spirit. The only thing that would prevent this from happening is un-repented sin. Whether by recognition or not. What encourages the repentance, is the conviction of the Holy Spirit, and because of that, a repentant heart. When one is repentant, they turn away from thier sin, confess it, and turn to God for Him to take it. They admit that sin they are comitting is against God's will, and thus promise to end it, and turn away from it. They cleve to God and there-by they are forgiven and cleansed. This causes the believer to fall in love with God, and want to do His will, part of which is being baptized by water and the Spirit, just as Yeshua says in John 3:3 (AMP) Jesus answered him," I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, that unless a person is born again (anew, from above), he cannot ever see (know, be acquainted with, and experience) the kingdom of God. "

To really desire to be overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit would imply that one is either not yet overwhelmed or, perhaps, that one is fully overwhelmed and desires never to be in any other state. I find that in the busy-ness of life, I am challenged by many other desires, other than being overwhelmed by The Spirit. Is this OK and, if not, how does one change it?

Q3. (Matthew 3:11) What is the point of comparison between John's action and the Messiah's action? What is the point of difference? Do you really long to be overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit? What might prevent this in your life? What might encourage it?

Answer:The point of comparison is the distinction and definition of each one

Q3. (Matthew 3:11) What is the point of comparison between John's action and the Messiah's action? What is the point of difference? Do you really long to be overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit? What might prevent this in your life? What might encourage it?

He point is that Baptism was an outward sign of commitment. To be effective, it had to be accompanied by an inward change of attitude leading to a changed life

The point of comparison is the immersion. The difference is the water and the Holy Spirit. Water can only cleanse the outside (although I don't want to underestimate the significance of water baptism) the Holy spirit is God in us, cleansing the inside, filling us, living our lives for God's glory in us and through us. The Holy Spirit is our connection with God. In Him we live and move and have our being. Without Him we are worse than dead bones. We are terrible sinners with no hope for eternity. The Holy Spirit is so much more than water. Water baptism is a symbol, an outward sign, the Holy Spirit is the ultimate objective, to be filled with Him.

What might encourage it? Loving God with all our heart, mind and strength.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

To really desire to be overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit would imply that one is either not yet overwhelmed or, perhaps, that one is fully overwhelmed and desires never to be in any other state. I find that in the busy-ness of life, I am challenged by many other desires, other than being overwhelmed by The Spirit. Is this OK and, if not, how does one change it?

John's baptism was for those who made a profession of faith in Jesus, it was by water. Jesus' baptism was to send the Holy Spirit to convict us of sin, and to guide us into all truth. The one thing that would hinder this would be willful sinning after receiving Christ as Savior. I long each day to be more like the Savior day by day, minute by minute. I need to daily crucify the flesh and keep my mind focused on Jesus and what He would have me to do in all circumstances of life. Each day reminding myself what I was like before and praising the Lord where He has brought be to. I love the Lord because He has given me a new purpose in life, praising Him and telling others about His wonderful gift of salvation, whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord, shall be saved. Thank you Jesus