JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Repentance and Christ's Reign

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. Why is repentance so central to the Kingdom of God? Why is baptism important to converts to the King? Can Christ reign in an unrepentant heart?

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=996

John and Jesus called all who would enter the Kingdom to repent. Sin is unacceptable to God, yet many are totally unaware that they are sinning. Little sins or big sins make no difference. We are all sinners and need to repent.

Baptism is important as through it we accept Christ into our lives and repent of our sin that previously prevented us from accepting Him. We are changed through Baptism and the Holy Spirit in us convicts us of what is sin.

Unrepentance means wilfull disobedience to Christ

Jesus commanded "that we must repent in order to get into heaven." "Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God". We are to die by our repentance and then be raised up to new life by the Holy Spirit... we can not be born again unless we repent. Also, we serve a Holy God and we are to strive to be Holy on a daily basis with a renewal by the washing of the Word and prayer. Psalm 119:11 I treasure Your Word in my heart so I might not sin against You... The Holy Spirit also through the Word helps root out any hidden sin in our lives.

Repentance is at the heart of our seriousness about Christ. Our first step is to acknowledge that we are sinners - it is a state of the human heart, God will hold us accountable but has provided a glorious Way of salvation and fellowship. Once we have fully accepted Christ as the Messiah, saviour, Son of God, we beging a journey, which should be walked in close fellowship with Jesus. Each time we fall by committing sin, we harm the fellowship we have with Jesus and we grieve the Holy Spirit. It takes ongoing humility to face up to and admit our sinful deeeds, thoughts, attitudes and accept again His forgiveness. There is no fooling the Lord: we have to come with the heart that is fully committed to turning from that/those sinsful acts and turn TO The Lord Jesus, Merciful Saviour and Judge.

Repentance is central to the Kingdom of God because it is our recognition that we cannot of our own selves come to God. God hates Sin, God turns His back on Sin...we are sinful human beings, we are separated from God because of it. Knowing that, when we repent, we are telling ourselves and God that we know we have been separated from Him, we know that we are sinful, we know that we need Him in order to regain that which was lost. Repentance tells God that we want to turn away from sin, and cling to Him, and His promise. We aknowlege that only He can redeem us. Baptism is important because it is a public symbol of our death to sin, and our ressurection to life. Just as Jesus died for our sins, and was ressurected, so we die to them and become reborn. It also signifies that we die to our old self and are Baptised, by and because of Jesus into the Holy Spirit, thus beginning the process of Sanctification. Christ cannot reign in an unrepentant heart. That is not to say that He CAN'T, but that He WON'T! Firstly, an unrepentant heart is sinful...it's owner hasn't yet come to the place where they understand they cannot do it themselves, and must rely on God to do it for them...what ever it may include. The un-repentant heart also, has no room for Yeshua in it. He could erradicate the stain of sin with a blink of an eye or a flick of His finger, but because He made us to worship Him and Glorify His name, He will not force us into that worship. It must be something we come to on our own. The beginning of that process is recognizing that there is a problem, that we are powerless to do anything about it, and that we need Him to take it all away. In that process comes the realization of how much we have sinned, this spurs us, then to recognize how far away from God we are, and because we have an innate desire to fulfill God's will, we become sorrowful that we are separated. We repent because of this, and are restored. Then, and only then will Yeshua enter in. A repentant heart is prepared for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Q4. Why is repentance so central to the Kingdom of God? Why is baptism important to converts to the King? Can Christ reign in an unrepentant heart?

Repentence , is the central point to the Kingdom of God because God asks us to repent and admit we are sinners and to

accept salvation we need to admit that we are sinners and change another term for repentance change for the good.

baptism is importand for the convert because once they have repented they need cleansing and Water baptism is a

symbol to them of what the Holy spirit does to their spirit man inside their soul.

No Christ is light and unrepentance is darkness and light and darkness can never exist together peacefully.

God , Holyspirit kow of darkness in a soul they have cleansed they can make that person miserable and sad and

not peacefull till they repent , change and cleanse the darkness out.

If I do not repent, I do not honor, respect or appreciate the sacrifice Jesus has paid and given for me; and I do not care about the desire He has for my life in this world. Baptism is a gift and saves me by the resurrection of Jesus Christ. I Peter 3:21 (NIV)

Why is repentance so central to the Kingdom of God?

Repentance so central to the Kingdom of God because the person who comes says by repenting, "I have forsaken all, left is behind to follow Christ. Now I am submitting to the ownership and control of God and Him alone."

Why is baptism important to converts to the King?

Baptism is important to the King because it is God's desire for all who will accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior to be immersed in baptism.

Can Christ reign in an unrepentant heart?

Christ cannot reign in an unrepentant heart. Unrepentance leaves one in a state of darkness, still under the power and reign of Christ's enemy, the devil.

Q4. Why is repentance so central to the Kingdom of God?

(Isa 40:1-2) Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God. Speak kindly to Jerusalem, and cry to her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received from the LORD'S hand double for all her sins.

Isa 40:3 The voice of him that cries in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

Prepare means, “clear away the obstacles” sin is the obstacle in our way and “repentance” is how we “prepare the way of the Lord” allowing God’s glory to be revealed in us, His kingdom come.

Baptism is a testimony of a repentant heart and that of obedience to God, important indeed.

Sin is what reigns in a unrepentant heart, as Jesus, the greatest Rabbi of Israel teaches us, except our righteousness exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, we will not enter into the kingdom of heaven; It is a repentant heart that opens itself to the Messiah, welcoming Him to reign, filling us with the Holy Spirit, giving to us power to live holy lives, power to be that faithful bride.

ANSWER;

Repentance is the beginning of self Denial.It is the beginning of Acceptance of what Jesus has done in the cross,and denial of selfworthiness .It is an acceptance,of something that is better than what you think before.

Just Like the Pharisees,our life befor we are born again is full of SELF JUSTIFICATION.We justify our actions,and thoughts,and belief as superior than others,and we justify our Sins as lesser than others.

I short,we are trying to earn our goodness by comparing our selves among others(2 Corinthians 10:12-For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise).

So we must repent,and change this kind of attitude and way of thinking,and reject this kind of thought.We must come in complete surrender to the one who can Save,the one who humbly submit Himself as a living sacrifice(Hebrews 7:27- Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.).

Baptism is another stage in our Life,that follows repentance.Baptism is the immersion of Old Self,into the WORD of GOD,into the SPIRIT,emerging a NEW Man with a NEW NATURE.It is a sign of putting to death your OLD carnal Nature and Living victorious into your NEW NATURE,governed by THe SPIRIT of GOD.

Only through Confession,that we cant save ourselves will Christ dwells in us.God does not will that all shall perish,but will come into repentance(2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance)

Prayer

Repentance is so central to the Kingdom of God because the Kingdom of Heaven will not be fully realized until all evil in the world is judged and removed. Christ came to earth first as a suffering servant; he will come again as king and judge to rule victoriously over all the earth.

Baptism is important because it is a step of obedience

Why is repentance so central to the Kingdom of God?Although the book of Matthew was not written to us, it was written for us. As it applied to the people of the 1st Century it does to us as well. Repentance is needed, it is necessary, and individual cannot walk (live) as they desire to live according to their understanding alone. People should not live with / by a misunderstanding of the Scriptures as did the spiritual leaders of Jesus' day. Just as they needed to change and have the proper guidance, people of this day need to change and walk with proper guidance. Just as the people of the 1st Century needed to turn away from self-centeredness; "self" control and turning our life over to Christ's direction and control, as do we. We need to live a repentant life so that we may live by His empowering grace where by the beattitudes are possible even though paradoxical. In my opinion repentance so central to the Kingdom of God for it allows God to use us, it allows us to adhere to the Holy Spirit's leading.

it is important to the King when it is genuine, whereby it will be a testimony of a repentant heart and that of obedience to God. Through repentance and baptism we become available, by being available we can be used. The Light reflected from us can be seen whereby we can glorify the Father.

It is of my belief that he will not. God is not a dictator, nor is He codependent. He will not force His reign on any being nor does He need us to feel validated. The rocks will cry out if we don't. Unrepentance equates to willful disobedience to Christ

Repentance means a turning from and turning to something. If we never see sin as God sees sin, we can never truly be saved. We need to turn from our sin and turn to Jesus for He is the only hope of eternal life. Baptism shows our death and burial to sin and raising to a new life in Christ. Christ cannot reign in an unrepentant heart becasue God cannot not live in a heart that has not truly repented. God cannot dwell in a person who has not truly been converted. We cannot have two masters we need to decide who we are going to serve the flesh or the Spirit, will we serve with all our heart, mind and soul or we live a halfhearted life, God wants all or nothing. He is a jealous God and He will not settle for anything less than complete surrender to His will and way in our life. Daily we need to surrender to the Holy Spirit and daily read His word and pray, seeking His will and way in our life. I love Him more and more each day because I see the sin in my life and I long to me more like Him everyday, so others can see Christ in me the hope of glory. Thank you Lord for saving my soul, thank you Lord for making me whole, thank you Lord for giving to me thy great salvation so rich and free. He expects praise each day, life can be fuller if we fully surrender to the Lord each day.

Repentance is our way of recognizing that we need a Savior. We, by nature, only desire selfishness. We are led away so quickly on paths that destroy; relationships, others, even ourselves. When we arrive at a place where we can recognize that we are created to desire God's will for our lives, then we can see how God's ways lead to true peace and love. Without repentance, there is no hope in ever truly recognizing your true purpose in life; you will always turn to your own way. The way to God is through Jesus Christ. He commanded us to be baptized as a testimony of our belief in Him. It is an act of faith.

Why is repentance so central to the Kingdom of God?

If we do not repent, turn away from the sin in ourlives, how can we be serious about serving the Savior?

When we have repented and started our walk with Jesus, we want to follow in baptism....it is not a saving act but one of obedience.

I do not think so....we have to want Him, to turn away from our old ways and follow Him.

God is Holy and will not accept sin. "Unless a man is born again, he can not enter the Kingdom of God." If you do not repent, you will not see Heaven. Baptism is the way to show that you have repented. If you have not repented Jesus can not reign in you. In order for Jesus to be a part of you, you must Love Jesus and want to obey, so you must repent. If you Love Jesus, you will want to follow Him. Jesus loves us so much that He gave His life that we might spend eternal life with Him. Thank you Jesus! :rolleyes:

As all of us have been given a free will to choose (or not choose) to follow the Lord Jesus Christ, I suppose repentance signifies our choice to follow the Lord. As God is holy and righteous and is absolutely pure, we must repent of our sins before we can come before God. Repentance also signifies our acknowledgement that all of us were born sinners. Baptism's importantance can be seen from two aspects. Water baptism is the baptism of repentance. The immersion in water is symbolic of our death to sins and our cleansing of our sins. It is also the outward show of our commitment to and our believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. Baptism of the Holy Spirit is essentially the condition of our heart where we invite the Holy Spirit to dwell in us. This is to give us heavenly power to overcome our flesh and the enemy. Without repentance, it really means that we are still living in sin and are not willing to give up the sin. As the Lord Jesus Christ is absolutely pure, he is unable to reign in our lives. Sin is the divide which separates us from God. It would be hypocritical for us to praise God and yet continue to enjoy our sins.

Warm greetings everyone, wishing you a beautiful day. Shalom,

Q4. 1. Why is repentance so central to the Kingdom of God?

Repentance is so central to the kingdom of God, because by repenting you say you are willing to open your heart and trust in a new reality that's in God, but in order to receive the new reality that's in God through Jesus Christ, you have to be willing to give up your old realtiy of being. This can very frustrating to do for some people, because we have been told so many lies from the day we were born, for some people it's hard to believe and trust in the Kingdom of God. We must have the willingness to trust in God's possibilities and if we don't change from the old and become like little children, we won't be able to enter the Kingdom of God or even see the Kingdom. We must be born again through God's Holy Spirit.

Imagine, that you have been living for years in a dark prison, a life of bondage, with disease, suffering, pain, chaos, living like a tree without water, all dried up, without hope or any chance of seeing any life ever, you are stuck in a dark pit. Then one day someone comes along, and opens the door and shines a light down the hole and says, "make your paths straight, someone is coming to free you out of this pit, prepare for Him, He's coming to give you life, an abundant life full of hope, a new life greater than you could ever imagine, an amazing Kingdom, get ready to leave this pit." Then the person who was stuck in the pit, starts to question, "what life or Kingdom is he talking about, this is my life here in the pit, the stench is fine, my pain and suffering and deterioating bones are fine, what life could he possibly be talking about?" The person has to decide, am I willing to trust this man, stay in the pit of this dark life or be willing to turn towards the light and be delivered into God's Kingdom, but there's a catch, you can't take your old way of being with you, you have to surrender everything to God. We can't serve 2 masters, God and mammon. God has given us freewill, God will not force anyone out of the pit, it's by the person's choice to come, see and hear. Repentance is the willingness of the first step towards God's Kingdom.

2.Why is baptism important to converts to the King? When we decide to be baptize, it's a decision we make to trust in God's son, showing the dedication and seriousness of being adopted into God's family, becoming the body of Christ, as Jesus is the Head and we are His body, and having a sincere desire to become cleansed through the blood of Jesus. It's an outward symbol of our faith to Jesus and a testimony to those around us.

3.Can Christ reign in an unrepentant heart? In order for Christ to reign through us, one must believe and have faith in Jesus, deny themselves, take up their cross/staff and follow Him. An unrepentant heart is unwilling to turn from their old way of thinking and being and so therefore won't be able to see the Kingdom. The Kingdom of God is about the authority we have been given in Christ. We reign with Christ through God's power and authority and without a changed heart, it's not possible. An unrepentant heart will not believe or have faith, because they refused to hear the message and be changed, so how can they work with Christ, when they never knew Him or given Him a chance to heal them. A repentant heart knows they need a saviour, they know they can not free themselves and are willing to learn of Jesus, turn from sin and believe His Words. When we first come to Jesus, we are like little babies, it's like we are being taught all over again, but this time it's with God's Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth, sent by Christ Jesus. As we continue to believe and receive Christ words into our hearts as the Holy Spirit reveals it to us, and accept His words, abiding in Him and He in us, we eventually become mature christians, overcomers, all by the power of God. Praise the Lord, hallelujah!

God's blessings be with you, love, Lory

Repentance is so important because all have sinned according to the bible and every one should first repent of the life of rebellion against God before to be able to enter a relationship with a Holy God.The Lord Jesus will enter and reign in the hearts and lives of those who humbly acknowledge their sins by repentance and obey Him.

Baptism is like a wedding ceremony. When I got married to Marie I made a public vow to love, honor, and Cherish her. We all know what happens if wedding ceremony takes place without being fully committed to one another. Baptism of the Holy Spirit brings forth that full commitment to God..

Darrell

Q4. Why is repentance so central to the Kingdom of God? Without repentance we cannot be a part of the Kingdom of God. Without it, God can never work in us through His Spirit.

Why is baptism important to converts to the King? Baptism, if we are talking about water baptism rather than baptism in the Holy Spirit, is important for many reasons and is symbolic in many ways. In this context, it is important as a symbol and public statement of our death to sin and to our old selves and a rising again in the righteousness of Christ. Baptism in the Holy Spirit is also important, but in more than a symbolic way. It is what empowers us to work for God's Kingdom.

Can Christ reign in an unrepentant heart? No.

I agree with what's been said, but I also think repentance helps ourselves. It frees us of the guilt and shame, allows us to feel as if we have cleared the slate so we can begin our new life and way of living. You can't begin a new way lugging the prior baggage around; it will pop it's ugly head up and create doubts, fears, insecurity. Repenting is a way of admitting our errors and allows us to humble ourselves before the Lord so we can ask for His forgiveness and guidance. He then can enter and help us through the Holy Spirit. Repenting knocks down that wall that keeps us separated and keeps us in sin.

I think baptism of the converts to the King showed their denying of the prior master. We cannot serve 2 masters. It shows where their loyalty is.

Christ won't reign in an unrepentant heart, but the good Shepherd will not stop knocking on that door hoping the lost will return to Him.

Repentance is turning away from - after admitting our sin and asking for forgiveness. To admit our sin is the first step to salvation and salvation is the only way to heaven. Baptism shows the world you have believed in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus and accepted this as payment for your sin. Baptism does not save - it is an outward show of what you have believed. Christ cannot reign in an unrepentant heart. His mercies are made new each day for those of us who are His and we need to repent daily for our sins.

Because evil can have no relationship with holy. I must recognize my sin and accept His forgivness. Sin can not come into the presence of God.

Baptism is and outward acknowledgment of and inward change, cleansed and made new. I have died on immersion and raised up in Christ, He reigns in me now. Not to mention the Word tells us to do it.

No because a unrepentant heart sees no need for a Savior.