JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Thorny riches, worries, and pleasures

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest, from my point of view, in the culture that I live, that "Pleasures" may be the most dangerous. In North America we have created a culture that believes being comfortable all the time is our right. We resist discomfort and feel quite offended if we are made to feel uncomfortable. Discomfort distracts us because we become so self centered in our search for comfort. We don't want to hear words that make us uncomfortable, we don't want to sit on furniture that is uncomfortable, all of which makes us reluctant to really sacrifice. The Christian life is a life marked by sacrifice.

Q2. (Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:14) Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures?

If for any reason we should allow any one of them to take first place in our lives, whether we seek after the riches of this world, tricked into thinking they will bring real joy, or we allow the worries of this world to distract us from trusting in God, or if we have a heart that seeks after the pleasures, the **** of this world instead of Gods righteousness, than they would all be most dangerous.

Why do you think so?

God speaks clearly, Do not love the things of this world for if we do, our lives would be barren, revealing not Gods fruits of righteousness, but in truth, reveals who or what reigns in our hearts.

Q2. (Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:14) Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures?

I think it's a close call between riches and pleasures, but I've heard it said that riches are more of a trial than poverty. With poverty and worries/cares, there is the recognition that one needs Jesus! With Riches usually comes power as well, and both may corrupt. With riches, there is the sense that nothing is needed, and that one is the master of his/her own ship, in control.

Why do you think so?

The rich young ruler sadly couldn't bear to part with his worldly goods. My family wasn't wealthy, but we owned a beautiful California home, our own business, 2 cars, lovely furniture, were able to educate our children in Christian schools, and to tithe 20% of our income but when the recession of 1990 hit, we ended up through a slow process, with $10.00, an old car and homeless. It was gut wrenching to see it all go. When all was said and done, it was a beautiful thing to be totally dependent upon God (We would have said prior to that, that we were totally dependent upon Him...but we discovered we were depending upon our business and our income) So having gone through that loss, I would say that riches are the most dangerous...they can be deceptive and a substitute "god".

Q2. (Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:14) Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures? Why do you think so?

For me the three are same because they all take away spiritual nutrition from us and make our lives dry and unfruitful.

Worry comes from Satan. It is lack of faith. We have to remember what Jesus said,

Q2. (Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:14) Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures? Why do you think so?

In my opinion, riches is the most dangerous. Riches, money, material wealth - if not managed in an appropriate manner based on biblical principles, can quickly lead one away from the Lord Jesus. This is because in the physical world, money can really "make the world go round". With money, one can alleviate worries (albeit for a season) and buy pleasures. With money, one can be led to believe that they can do anything, leading many to believe that there is no need for God in their lives. As a result, arrogance and pride can quickly take hold and cause this person to believe that they are invincible! This thorn can quickly choke the life out of a person and in the end, their life could the what Solomon experienced and wrote about - meaningless!

Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures?

I understand the question, however I cannot really place rating on these as to which is the most dangerous. Each one can become idols where by an individual will place them before God. Each are equally dangerous, I know you asked which one is most dangerous, but as I think of each one from what I have seen in life and or read each venture has done great damage to individual and the perception of Christianity. The Scriptures speak on each of these a great deal, I cannot honestly say, SORRY!

Why do you think so?

God speaks clearly, compassionately and boldly in more places than Exodus 20 not to place anything before Him. God likewise speaks and has demonstrated His provisional reign, He wants trust from the being after creation He called very good. Lastly but not least in concerns, He has spoken against the misuse and or abuse of His available resources / things which He has made.

None of His created beings are to love nor **** for the things of this world. Unfortunately do to evil influences, affluences and through learned things not of God a lot of people choices are to glorify themselves.

Which of the thorns that Jesus mentions do you think is the most dangerous: Riches, worries/cares, or pleasures? Why do you think so?

The thorn of pleasure....if we want to make ourself happy first, to be content in our glory....to want...want...want...then we leave no place for our Savior. i think that the deire to be happy, filled up with pleasures cuts off the road to Christ....we make excuses and forget what he paid for our eternal joy....His redemptive blood on the cross.

worries and cares seems more dangerous to me. Being overwhelmed by situations and circumstances distract us and cause us to look to ourselves rather than looking to the Father and trusting Him.

I feel all these THORNS EQUALLY distract us form our Spiritual growth. All are things of this EARTHLY world, worry, pleasure and riches. I can only speak personally for myself, the thorn that is most dangerous for me is the thorn of WORRY. Worry separates us from Christ, worry suggest to me, that I have not fully trusted Jesus, OR, am not fully trusting Jesus when I CHOOSE to engage in worry of any kind. We live in a stressful world. NO EXCUSE! Jesus says come to him and to trust him for our every need. I personally pray to Jesus and ask him daily to take worry from my heart to let me fully fall back and trust Jesus in everything!! It is different for each of us, we All have our thorns. The question is what do we do to weed them from our lives. So, in conclusion, the three thorns mentioned here, riches, pleasure, worry are equally destructive to our spiritual growth.

This is a difficult question. I believe I would have to answer that worries/cares would be the most dangerous thorn. With riches, you can have the idea that God has blessed you with abundance to give and help others. With pleasures, there is more transparency between moral and immoral behavior; a little harder to convince yourself that certain 'pleasure webs' people get tangled in would be pleasing to God. Worries seem like the 'subtlest' of thorns, but the sin is prefound. Without faith, it is impossible to please God.

I think that riches is the most dangerous of all these. Why? Because of the three it is the most acceptable wrong of all. We live in a country of abundance in the U.S.A. and most would not give from their abundance. What a contrast from that of the widow who gave from her necessity.

Proof. Last year I read an article in the news paper where the WSU staff was given a choice to either take what resulted in a small pay cut or to lay off forty of their co-workers. How do you think the vote turned out? Now keep in mind we live in a country where 80% claim to be Christian. Where 80% love God with all their mind, body, and spirit. Where 80% love their neighbor as themselves and would do as much as they could for them. Well there is forty people wondering who their neighbors are.

I guess we all know the story of the Good Samaritan but forget how it ends. It ends with Jesus saying, "Go and do likewise."

I find it odd that there is so many people rallying around the likes of Glenn Beck. Here is a guy that has found the best way to get rich is to judge everybody else. He not only judges but falsely accuses only for his own gain and so called Christians rally around him. Proof: Interview with Phorbes Magazine, "With a deadpan, Beck insists that he is not political: "I could give a flying crap about the political process." Making money, on the other hand, is to be taken very seriously, and controversy is its own coinage. "We're an entertainment company," Beck says.

Jesus doesn't say judge others if it will profit you but he does say, "What will it profit me if I inherit all the world and lose my soul?"

The American Dream is to inherit the world, it is so acceptable that it is sermonized in many churches, especially on T.V. I guess that is why Jesus says, "You cannot serve two masters."

Darrell

Q2 The order of the most dangerous thorn which Jesus mentioned depends on the

individual whose life is affected. How one sees the situation and analyze it.

Each one of us have a bit of every thorn in us. We must learn to master over it

and not be slave to it. We take it as our trials and pray for God's strength and

graces to overcome them rather than to be controlled by them.

Every human being has problems (thorns) in our lives. It is a matter of how we

handle them, who we can depend on for help, ourselves or God to come and free us

from these bondages. As long as we are in this world, we cannot run away from

all these temptations. As Jesus told us to be in the world but not of the world.

I think each of them can be equally dangerous.Each of us from time to time may wrestle with a particular one of these which can draw us away from the Lord. All of them take the focus off Christ unto self. Worry denies that God can take care of us and cause us to rely on our own inadequate resources to solve our problems. Riches can make a person feel so independent and self sufficient that they don't need God.Pleasures make a person just want to satisfy his/her own desires.

Anything that takes your eyes off the Lord is dangerous. So it can be all equally. Just my opinion.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

They can be equally dangerous as each can lead to the same choking off of our relationship with God.

In my opinion, I can not pick one over the other as the most dangerous, because I feel that they are all dangerous thorns, as you can not have one with out the others. If I was to pick one it would be Riches, as this leads to worries/cares and pleasures, so one without the others is impossible.

The reason I believe this to be true, is because if you base your whole life on how rich you are, or can be, you will then worry/care about someone taking your riches from you. Pleasures are then the result of those riches you feel that you need, because the richer you become the more pleasures you will seek.

Riches will cause you to worry/care, which takes your focus away from God, and pleasures can lead you into all the deadly sins, being ****, greed, selfishness, envy and so on, which takes you so far from God it is hard to get back again.

Pleasures would be my choice of most dangerous thorns in anyone's life just for the fact that it encompasses the other two. If we are seeking our own pleasure and happiness then we would seek for riches as a way to fill ourselves and we would not want any cares or worries. We would do everything possible to mask anything by any means that would seem negative. It would be a complete life of self satisfaction and seeking everything that would be a tool to feed ourselves and our own happiness. All in all, we would do well to stay away from each of them.

I really think it depends on the individual. If pleasure is your ultimate goal, then the pleasures of life can distract you and lead you astray. These days of promiscuous behavior see most people engaging in sex for sex's sake. The ready availability of recreational drugs is also a constant distraction for some. For many others it's the worries and cares of this life. Where are we gonna get the money to pay the bills? Where's my next job gonna be? Or simply . . . I don't have as much as my neighbor/brother/friend/whatever and I need to change that! Many cares and worries are quite legitimate too. There could be sickness or infirmity in the household that occupies our time. There is also genuine poverty and the phenomenon that is all too common these days called "the working poor" where family members have jobs that simply don't pay enough and are always scratching for a buck. Whichever of the above distractions and many more besides that apply to each individual are the most dangerous to that particular individual.

THEY ARE ALL THE MOST DANGEROUS! Cause any one/all of these can have detrimental effects for anyone that pursues them.These here are all for SELF-FULFILLMENT.These take your eyes off Christ and you replace what you need for what you want.And as these become a priority above else in your life you lose focus on the most important thing, Your relationship with Christ and the Father...That is why I think they are all dangerous.

I've been here before, and it has caused me to waver in my faith, it has caused me to become stagnant and stale. It has caused me to re-evaluate my commitment to the Lord. I can only say before this I was just a Christian in name only...I to have questioned the fact if was I really saved? But in actuality I was just taking up space.

So I have rededicated my life to the Lord, NOW! I want to be that fertile soil, now knowing what it's really going to cost me..My desire is to no longer stay a babe in Christ it is to become a mature Believer in Christ.

And for all those who are at this point in their walk don't give up and don't give in believe me the consequences can be quite severe trust me, I know.. it could have been alot worse but thank God for Grace and Mercy...

All of these can keep a person from responding to God's call, but I think riches are the most dangerous, if you have everything, why would you need Jesus. Most people with a lot of money and stuff just feel they have everything and they have no need of Jesus and His gift of eternal life.

They are ALL dangerous. They go hand in hand with eachother. I heard someone a while back make this comment:

"I am so 'worried' that I will not have the money "ie. riches" to pursue my 'pleasures' in life." I tell people like that, "put your trust and faith in Jesus and he will supply all of your needs and even some of your wants. Peoplke in life today, especiallythe "young adults" (18-25) say "by the time I am 30-35 I want such and such. And they waste a lot of energy trying to pursue this 'dream' and they forget to 'stop and smell the roses' the little things in life. So, for all you young adults I have to say "Don't build your riches on this earth! Build your faith and trust in the Lord, and He will supply your needs and maybe even some of your wants."

I feel the most dangerous is worries and cares because I find that alot of people live in

worry and care and don't even know that worry can get sinfull. You may worrie over a matter

for a short time or worry ablut doing well of a test etc but when worrie becomes your every

minute of the day persona. it is sinfull as Jesus says do not worry pray and trust Gomd.

I know a few people in my life that worry about every little event in a day or week.

and it gets them sometimes to the point they cannot think for themselves. On elderly lady

called my friend every day with questions of what will I do about this, or that and it was

not long before worry drove her to sickness and nursing home placement.

She had stopped praying and asking God to give her wisdome of choice and doing what she

knew was ok and then making mistakes once in a while but it is one of life's to

choose our responses to life each day.

We can seek counsel on hard decisions from other christians out pastor etc but not bother

people for every choice we make. God and Holy Spirit are there for wisdome . also.