JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Goliath's Taunt

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30) Why is David so upset about Goliath’s taunt? David loves God wholeheardedly, and considers Goliaths taunts a direct slur against God, and Gods chosen people

Why is Eliab, David’s brother, so upset with David? A combination of shame and jealousy. Eliab is afraid of the giant. He lacks the great heart the Lord saw in David. He is probably jealous of David as he, Eliab, was passed over in Samuels God directed search for the new king.

What does this teach us about David’s faith? David had been annointed and had the Holy Spirit dwelling in him. His faith was mighty.

What does it teach us about Eliab’s character? God saw right thru Eliabs handsome looks to his faint faith and weak heart.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30)

Why is David so upset about Goliath's taunt? David loved his God. David also loved God's people. He was upset because here is man Goliath who was shouting insults against the people of Israel. It was hurting for him to hear his taunts and he is upset.Goliath thought there was none who was able to fight against him in the army of Israel. David was angered probably for this reason as Goliath thought the Israelites were weak and wouldnt fight against him.

Why is Eliab, David's brother, so upset with David? Eliab thought being the eldest,he was able to fight the Philistines and not David. He looked down upon David as his younger brother moreover only a shepherd boy. He probably also envied the courage and faith David had. In Eliab's eyes he wasnt fit to fight the war or ask such questions or even speak to the other men of the army.

What does this teach us about David's faith? David's faith in God is unshakeable. He does not fear the giant but through his faith he sees how big his God is. Absolute faith in God that He is surely able to help him fight such a huge giant. Faith with no doubts and trust in God not in self.

What does it teach us about Eliab's character? Eliab though the eldest and chosen by his father to be in the army to fight the war,he lacks faith courage and trust as David did. More a man who believes in self and his strength.

David was upset because he knows the God of isreal that Goliath was too small to defied the army of God and that Goliath was a nobody especially being an uncircumcised phillistine.

Eliab was upset because he did not know who David is, he was looking at him like a younger brother not knowing that David carries the spirit of God already. He also knew that David would want to make attempt on Goliath.

That all times we should believe that God is greater than any uncircumcised phillistines or unbelievers

we should learn not to stand on the way of people especially believers

I believe that David was upset about Goliath taunt because know one had enough courage or faith to stand up up to Goliath. I believe God had taught David about courage and faith while he was attending the sheep and fighting off animals to keep the sheep safe. God prepared David to be brave and most of all to have faith. David had unwavering faith. I believe his brother was a man of little faith. David being the youngest and the one that was strongest in faith and bravery didn't sit well with his brother. I believe that his brother had attributes on the outside but on the inside he was jealous and had no courage. He didn't have a heart after God.

Why is David so upset about Goliath’s taunt?

He is upset because Goliath is taunting, intimidating the Israelites and defying the Almighty God.

Why is Eliab, David’s brother, so upset with David?

Eliab is upset because by David asking questions and wanting to know what was going on indicates that he is not afraid of Goliath and shows him and the other men up.

What does this teach us about David’s faith?

David faith was strong. He knew that he would not be alone when he faced Goliath.

What does it teach us about Eliab’s character?

Eliab showed a little jealousy and was lacking in his faith.

1. Because his taunting is insulting to God army and his people. His taunting shows thst Goliath has no fear of what God can do and the capabilities of His powers.

2. Because he was convinced his shepherd brother had the courage to stand up to Goliath, while his warrier brother did nothing at all to defend his God and his people.

3. David was not afraid of this big man-Goliath because of his strong faith in God.

He trusts in God with all his heart to take care of him. His faith in God helped him prevail.

4. This teaches us that Eliab was jealous of his younger brothers' courage and bravery; which he himself lacked.

David proves that he is a leader and accepts challenges without fear for he knows that the power of God lives in him.

David realize that Goliath's is not only rediculing the children of God but he also feel that Goliath is trying to redicule God because the Phillistine's know the God of Isreal.

Eliab feels threatened himself by Goliath taunts and now his little brother is the only one among these military men who has the strength to stand up for Judah.

Size and strength should not cause fear in a person as long as you know who God is in your life. Regardless of what may come up against you just continue to trust in the Lord and know that if He has brought you through one situation He is faithful to bring you through another as long as you keep Him before all things.

Why is David so upset about Goliath's taunt? In David's eyes, even though Goliath may be a 9-foot giant, he was worthless (uncircumcised). He was angry that such an unworthy person was defying God by oppressing his people.

Why is Eliab, David's brother, so upset with David? Eliab was embarrassed that David, being young and untested in battle, was talking big and challenging a giant who had already put so much fear in the Israelites. He had no confidence in David and I think as the elder brother, he was ashamed that his youngest brother would be the cause of the Israelites defeat.

What does this teach us about David's faith? David did not see Goliath as a giant. Rather, he saw Goliath as a unworthy and filthy lowlife. David knew that he was not fighting Goliath on his own strength. His fath was on Yahweh who had trained David's arm to war. He knew that because he put his trust in Yahweh, he simply cannot fail.

What does it teach us about Eliab's character? Eliab was more interested in appearances and saving face. His youngest brother was just a shepherd boy and had no business in this war against Goliath. When David spoke out of faith, Eliab who did not have any faith, accused of being conceited. Eliab was actually the one who was conceited.

I really like EY Jackson's answer! Being the youngest of 5, I can really relate to it! David is not about to back down from a fight.

Why is David so upset about Goliath’s taunt? What does this teach us about David’s faith? David's faith makes him fearless in the face of danger and his experience in fighting bears and lions to rescue lambs has reinforced his faith. To him size does not matter. He sees a threat and he knows that God is up to the task. David did not have time to think about the ramifications of attacking a bear or lion. Seconds wasted would mean the death of the lamb. So David was in a hurry to do away with Goliath and could not understand why everyone was just cowering around waiting for someone else to do it.

Why is Eliab, David’s brother, so upset with David? Big brother's ego was hurt!

What does it teach us about Eliab’s character? EIlab's self worth was based on his position and his faith in God in this endevour was lacking.

Here was Goliath, cursing the Israelites and their God. David was looking at the situation as -- why hasn't Goliath been killed yet. He is not greater than God. David is saying, "I could do it".

Eliab is upset because here is David, a younger brother, not even in the army, spreading words that hurt. David was just being himself and Eliab did not like it.

David's faith in God began as he faced the lion and killed it. He believed that God was greater and more powerful than any person.

Eliab was only looking at what physically could be done to Goliath. He was weak in trust of God.

Quote from: 'Travis63'

What does it teach us about Eliab's character?

"I truly cannot say, I believe that anything said would not be a composite depiction. Character - The combination of qualities or features that distinguishes one person, group, or thing from another. A distinguishing feature or attribute, as of an individual, group, or category. A description of a person's attributes, traits, or abilities.

Yes Eliab was in the moment, he was angry, I would rather say his actions were a facet of his character. Perhaps I could say that sometimes I may react as Eliab does. My hopes are that when these acts are exposed that I follow the Lord's counsel I cannot answer the question subjectively, not enough observation for me."

---------------------

Good observation. We tend to judge character without enough evidence. Only God can judge the heart. Thanks for stating this perspective.

David is upset because Goliath is disrespecting God. David has faith in God’s ability to overcome Goliath. Eliab is upset because of sibling rivalry and jealousy. He is reacting to human emotions rather than his faith. As Christians, we hope that we will stand strong for God in the face of adversity. However, we don’t really know until we are tested. I pray that I will be like David.

David was upset and angry about Goliath's taunt, because, Goliath kept insulting the people and he was making fun of the army of the living God. Eliab was upset with David because he thought David was being nosy, etc. He even asked him what he was doing there. He thought David only came to watch the fighting. David was obedient to a calling from Saul. He came at his beckoning and offered to go and fight Goliath, as she felt that Goliath was only trying to turn the people into cowards. David told Saul that as he watches his sheep, when a wild animal tries to attack them, he kills them, thus he felt he must kill Goliath. Eliab was a haughty man.

1.HERE IS THIS GIANT OF A MAN STANDING IN FRONT OF AN ARMY AND NO ONE WILL STEP UP BUT DAVID.

IT APPEARS GOLIATH IS GLOATING ABOUT WHAT HE CAN TO TO ALL OF THEM STARTING WITH DAVID. GOLIATH HAS NO IDEA GOD IS STANDING RIGHT BESIDE DAVID AND IT ALSO APPEARS THE WHOLE ARMY DONT' KNOW EITHER . GOD WILL NOT SEND US INTO A SITUATION WE CANT' HANDLE ON OUR OWN. HE WILL BE RIGHT THERE.

2. I THINK THE BROTHER IS AFRAID AND JEALOUS AND FURIOUS THAT HE COULD NOT DO WHAT DAVID DID. WHERE WAS HIS FAITH? DID HE NOT KNOW THAT GOD WOULD HAVE BEEN THERE FOR HIM AND ALSO THE ARMY.WHEN WE FACE A SITUATION WE ALWAYS ASK GOD TO GO IN FRONT.

3.DAVID KNEW HE WAS NOT BY HIMSELF WHEN HE SPOKE UP. HIS FAITH WAS SO LARGE HE KNEW THE BATTLE WAS ALREADY WON.KEEP THE FAITH NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCE ARE.

4..HAS NO FAITH AND AND DIDNT'DEFEND HIS BROTHER.

I think that David is so upset with Goliath’s taunt because it is insulting God’s people and David knows that nobody can defeat his God.

David’s brother Eliab was so upset with David because David wasn’t afraid of the giant and Eliab was and he thought that his younger brother should keep his mouth shut.

This teaches me that David’s faith is great because nobody can intimidate him or God. I just wish my faith was that strong.

This teaches us that Eliab’s faith was not as strong as David’s because Eliab wanted David to keep quit so that maybe the giant wouldn’t see him.

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30) Why is David so upset about Goliath’s taunt? Why is Eliab, David’s brother, so upset with David? What does this teach us about David’s faith? What does it teach us about Eliab’s character?

David loves God with all his heart, and he cannot tolorate the taunts to God's chosen people. He had deep faith, so deep that he believes his faith can conquer anything. YES, even a nine foot giant!

Eliab was jealous of David's faith. He did not have the kind of faith it takes to stand up to a giant! Eliab did not trust in God's power, while David did!

David was so upset about Goliath's taunt because he was scaring the armies of the living God and the Philistine was using this giant to the Israelite's disadvantage. The giant was well over nine feet tall and no one in the Israelite army was barely over five feet.

Eliab got upset with David because David made him realized his own lack of courage.

This teaches us about our faith is that without God we can't do nothing but with ahold all things are possible.

This teaches us about Eliab's character is he did not have a true relationship with God and he was jealous of David's courage.

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30)

Why is David so upset about Goliath's taunt?

I see David with the faith of a child in this instance. Don't know how old he was but he did not question once if God would take care of the situation. In fact, he stands in amazement that the soldiers on his side (including his brothers) have not rushed to defend God from Goliath's taunts. It seems very obvious to us what should have been done here but it wasn't. This is where a strong Godly leader would have perservered. And that is what David became and Saul probably never was one.

Why is Eliab, David's brother, so upset with David?

Because David makes him look small, like he has no faith. The younger brother is teaching the older one. Also David has a history of taunting his conceidedness. It embarrasses Eliab and makes him look bad compared to his brother David.

What does this teach us about David's faith?

He is resting his faith upon the promises of God the Almighty.

What does it teach us about Eliab's character?

He has turned worldly-trusting in his own strength and the strength of those around him.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1160

He was upset by Goliath's remarks that did not have respect for the God of Israel. Eliab was probably jealous of David's courage and wanted him to leave--go back home. David's faith had been tried and proven, so when this attack was made he relied on God as he did previously and knew God + anyone was the victor! Eliab's character was missing something. Obviously, he did not have a good relationship with the God of Israel.

In David's mind, because the Israelites were God's chosen people, to taunt them was equivalent to taunting God. He simply could not imaging anyone thinking that they could challenge God's people. Eliab is an interested case. He, along with the rest of the army, is obviously displaying his lack of faith in his fear. He is also acting as a typical older brother by not taking his "baby brother" seriously and a bit embarrassed by his behavior. David shows strong faith, Eliab does not. God wants us to drop our silly little fears (even if they seem big), trust in him and know that things will work out in the way they are supposed to work out. This is something that I have been known to struggle with, but God has been patiently teaching me.

Why is David so upset about Goliath’s taunt?

David stood up for what was right. He was loyal to his people, his tribe and to God, and this man was taunting all of what was dear to David. It will upset all of us. What is more, David knew the power of God, thus he was not afraid, he was upset that nobody else saw God's potential in this situation and that nobody has quieted the man yet.

Why is Eliab, David’s brother, so upset with David?

He also didn't see the potential of God, and he definately didn't see the potential of David. He wanted to keep his brother from harm, but also keep him away from where he might embarrace the family. He knew about David's anointing, but didn't believe God was with David

What does this teach us about David’s faith?

David's faith was very strong, because he was living with God, he truely believed in God

What does it teach us about Eliab’s character?

He was the proud oldest brother, he relied on his own strength and wisdom, not on God. He wanted to be in control, he reasoned things through instead of just handing everything over to God.

David is upset because Goliath is taunting the Armies of the Living God...HIS God! And so that infuriates David because he shows such Disrespect to God. I think David is thinking, who is this unclean man that lives in sin that Defies my God!

Eliab is upset with David because David is not afraid and he is so David is making him look bad being the "little" brother, when Eliab is suppose to be a strong warrior, but yet in reality he is as scared as the next man standing there. But not David. Plus he may feel a bit of responsibility for David being he is the youngest of the brothers knows that if something happens to him, Jesse, dad, will probably ask HIM why David got hurt and possibly hold him responsible. I think he may be a bit jealous also of David's courage.

I think this teaches us that we should not be envious or jealous or one another, but appreciate each other more, especially when we come to help in time of need even though we were not asked to help.

I think it teaches us to be strong and stand upon the strength that God gives to the weak.

"Though I am weak, YOU are strong!"

David is so upset about Goliath's taunt because he was defying the armies of the living God.

Eliab,David's brother is upset with David because he thought David had just come to watch the battle.

What this teaches us about David's faith is, he knew the Lord would help him if he chose to answer Goliath's challenge.

What this teaches us about Eliab's character is, by attacking David he is trying to cover up his own lack of courage. :mellow: