JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

To get the maximum benefit from this study, be sure to stop at each discussion question, which help you process and understand the most important points. If you’re in a group, discuss these questions among one another. If you’re studying by yourself, it will help you to write out your answer. If you like, then go to the online Forum with the web address that follows each question and post your answer – or at least read others’ answers. This will help you go deeper yourself!

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) “What does “called to be holy” or “called to be saints” mean? What is a saint according to the Bible? Why is it so comfortable for us to say, “I’m no saint”? What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get the maximum benefit from this study, be sure to stop at each discussion question, which help you process and understand the most important points. If you’re in a group, discuss these questions among one another. If you’re studying by yourself, it will help you to write out your answer. If you like, then go to the online Forum with the web address that follows each question and post your answer – or at least read others’ answers. This will help you go deeper yourself!

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) “What does “called to be holy” or “called to be saints” mean? What is a saint according to the Bible? Why is it so comfortable for us to say, “I’m no saint”? What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

A 1.Called to be holy or called to be saints is a call to those who are set aside by God to worship and adore Him. Those who are saved by grace, the shed blood of Jesus on the cross. The reason some do not believe they are saints is because of known sin in their lives. They have to come to realize that saints are not perfect but indeed they are working toward their perfection. A person who has been bought with the precious blood of Jesus is expected to sin, hear the conviction of the Holy Spirit about that sin, repent of it, that is to turn away from it and desire not to do it again. When we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all our unrighteousness. Everytime! WOW! What a God we serve.

When the world hears that we love Jesus they look for flaws in our lives and judge us by what they see. That in it self should help keep us on our toes.

"called to be holy" or "called to saints" means to be called to be separated unto God, to live our lives to the glory of him who has so called us, it means been devoted to him who called us to be holy.GOD

Saints according to the Bible means those set apart unto God and those that believes in the Lord Jesus Christ and also call upo his name both those that died in Christ and those that are still living.

It's comfortable for us to say "l'm not a saint" because we tend to believe that our righteousness is as result of our works instead of that which has been imputed into us by grace through faith in Christ Jesus and this grace this grace works in us making his saints, enpowering us to overcome sinful tendencies that once held us captive before believing in Christ.

The person that been set apart as a personal property of the living God is dedicated to him alone ,his/her life is to be lived to the glory of God its owner . 1cor 6:20

The kind of behavior the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ is to be radically different in their conduct; lifestyle and even in their expectations , the Bible says Romans12:2

"Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world.....

"Called to be holy or called to be saints", mean all those everywhere who call on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ are saints. The Bible says, those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. It's comfortable to say I'm no saint because of our sins. The life style that the person(s) are living and not ready to give up. When you are sanctified, you have to set yourself apart from things of this world. We live in the world but are not of this world because we belong to God and He uses us for His purpose. The world expects for those who are followers of Christ to be perfect in their daily lives. But, the Bible teaches that "all have sin and have fall short of the glory of God". Meaning, as saints we are not perfect. We are saved by God's grace and mercy.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) "What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean? 

Being sanctified in the Jewish Messiah is why we are called, appointed to be holy, to separate ourselves from our former lusts, as (1 Peter 1:15) speaks to us, He who called you is holy; you also are to be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”

What is a saint according to the Bible? 

A saint is one who has been ceremonially consecrated, set apart to God.

Why is it so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint"? 

It could be because of their ignorance to what a saint means here, and instead are looking unto that of man’s perfection, or that of being sinless, however, we must not ever become “COMFORTABLE” with saying, “I am no saint”, for God has set us apart unto holiness, sanctification has made a big difference in our lives and unto our calling – so that we are proud of being called a saint unto God.

What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? 

We are to conduct ourselves in an honorable way, as to please the Father.

What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ? 

I believe the world has no clue to what God expects of His followers and so therefore are quick to judge and put down, they most likely do not understand that God’s calling for the believer is for them to be BLAMELESS, not understanding that blameless does not mean to be “SINLESS” - but are free from causes for reproach and regret (1Thes 5:23) in this sense saints = morally blameless.

1 Corinthians 1:2

Q). What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean?

A). it indicates those who have been removed from the realm of the common, and who are now set aside for God himself.

#

Q). What is a saint according to the Bible?

A). All those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ are saints. 

"Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints" -1 Corinthians 1:2

"To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints:..." -Romans 1:7

#

Q). Why is it so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint"?

A). It is so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint" because we are often unable to actualize this title in our personal obedience and love for God and people. But when we say "I'm no saint" we fail to recall that the title "saint" is given to us by God and is not a reflection of how we actually live. It's impossible to live a "saintly" life by our own volition. The reason we’re so bad is that we’re trying so hard to be good. But with God all things are possible. And He has chosen to call us His saints. Therefore, it is so.

#

Q). What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God?

A). Those who have been set apart as the personal property of the living God (saints) are expected to actualize this title in obedience and love for God and people.

#

Q). What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

A). The world expects those who claim to be followers of Christ to be different / other-worldly in behavior.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) "What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean? It means we are set-apart by God to model our lives after the perfect model of Christ Jesus.What is a saint according to the Bible? God’s claim of us who follow Christ as LORD as God’s own children. Children set apart from the world. Why is it so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint"?Because we think to claim sainthood is prideful as though it were a title we have earned ourselves”. What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? “To live our life secure in what God has declared us to be and motivated to model the examples of Christ in word and deed.” What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?Behavior that is not self-centered; not of a competitive nature but instead is an example of words and actions that contribute to the good of others to the glory of Christ Jesus our LORD.”

What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean?

- As we have been sanctified by Jesus, we then have been declared holy by Him.  Being holy by Jesus, not by our lifestyle, we are saints - which means through Jesus, we are without sin.

- A saint is "a holy one" that is set apart from the world.

- Speaking in the worldly sense, we are sinners, like everyone else.  But speaking in the spiritual sense, we sinners saved by grace, becoming saints.

What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God?

- We no longer belong to ourself.  We belong to God, as Jesus paid for us by His blood.  Therefore we are to live by a higher standard than the world and to accomplish this, we are to let LOVE be our guiding light.

What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

- PERFECT!  Doing nothing wrong - hurting no one - always being polite - letting love be our guide.

When we give our life to jesus, although we may not know it at the time, i feel there is a calling upon us to be saved and therefore sanctified and made holy by God.The Holy Spirit then dwells within us and so our body becomes a Holy temple.It is our responsibility and duty to God to try to the best of our ability to stay righteous and HOLY.The grace of our Lord is such that he knows we will fail from time to time, but loves us no less.

Often when i witness to people i will get the response of "you christians think you are perfect and better than anyone else" .I guess the world expects us to be, but sadly, not a large percentage of people accept that if they accept Jesus, they will be made perfect in the Lords kingdom. God looks on anyone who has accepted Jesus as a saint,but such is the influence of satan that he will make people think they are anything but a saint.But praise the LORD for giving us the gift of the power of his HOLY BLOOD to defeat the enemy.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) “What does “called to be holy” or “called to be saints” mean? What is a saint according to the Bible?

A Saint is one who has been saved by the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ....set apart from the world for His good purposes and use.

Why is it so comfortable for us to say, “I’m no saint”?

Because we who have been saved, know and acknowledge that we are sinners, saved and cleansed by the blood of Jesus alone! We acknowledge that we aren't perfect in behavior and motivation, even though He sees us as perfect in Him.

That we live a surrendered life to Jesus and walk according to the Spirit, joyful in the knowledge that we are His for eternity and are cleansed daily from all sins and unrighteousness, being changed from glory to glory.

The world expects perfection of believers. (As a new believer I had a bumper sticker which said "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven". A Jewish neighbor commented upon reading it: "Oh, I thought Christians are supposed to BE and ACT perfectly." I explained in my own words the verse "He Who began a good work in you will perfect it at that day."

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) “What does “called to be holy” or “called to be saints” mean?   It means as believers we are set apart to be sactified by God.

1.) What is a saint according to the Bible?

All whom are believers in Jesus Christ are made perfect by the blood of Christ not by our deeds but by Christ' sacrifice on the cross, we are children of God..set apart, adopteded by God to be his very own children. We belong to God.

2.)Why is it so comfortable for us to say, “I’m no saint”?

Because we do not feel like a saints. "Saint" conjurs up an image of a 'pefect' person..not a person in the process of being perfected..surely NOT A SINNER!

3.)What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God?

Obey God, seek His direction in all that we do,as we are being perfected.

To emualte Christ, to obey God in all that we do.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) “What does “called to be holy” or “called to be saints” mean?   It means as believers we are set apart to be sactified by God.

1.) What is a saint according to the Bible?

All whom are believers in Jesus Christ are made perfect by the blood of Christ not by our deeds but by Christ' sacrifice on the cross, we are children of God..set apart, adopteded by God to be his very own children. We belong to God.

2.)Why is it so comfortable for us to say, “I’m no saint”?

Because we do not feel like a saints. "Saint" conjurs up an image of a 'pefect' person..not a person in the process of being perfected..surely NOT A SINNER!

3.)What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God?

Obey God, seek His direction in all that we do,as we are being perfected.

To emualte Christ, to obey God in all that we do.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) “What does “called to be holy” or “called to be saints” mean?

As we have been reedemed from the power of sin, we are to consecrate ourselves, not to be shaped by desire or the **** of our hearts but to keep the decrees of God and follow and obey them.

A saint is a believer who is in Christ Jesus and whom Christ Jesus dwells wether in heaven or on earth.

Why is it so comfortable for us to say, “I’m no saint”?

Because we dont know who we are in Christ

To trust in the Lord with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding, in all my ways to acknowledge Him. Prov 3: 5-6 and psalm 127: 1

The world expect perfection from us.

"What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean?

1.  It means you have been set apart for God.

2.  According to the bible a saint is all those everywhere who call on the name Jesus Christ.

3.  Because we look at the word saint as being someone that does good. Because we sin or mess up, we feel that we are not a saint.

4.  We are to be believers and followers of God.  We are to be an example of Christ, striving to live a life of perfection.

Question 1 (1 Corinthians 1:2) "What does" called to be holy" or " called to be saints" mean?

Reading many different views on this subject, I have to say that if you are called to be holy or a saint, means a great deal to me. I know where I came from and if I claim to be holy or a saint, I want look, act, or participate in the worldly sins that I was called out of. God has to have people that are different.

The basic idea of the term "saint" implies "holiness" moral purity, spiritual wholeness, separation from sin and dedication to God. Saints will live a whose life is continually being directed by God and continually being sanctified.

Why is it so comfortable for us to say "I am no saint" ?

If most people feel as I do, we feel so unworthy of this term, because it has a tone and meaning that seems unreachable, for such a sinner was I. Praise God, I feel the power of the Holy Ghost as I type this, because I am a saint.

We are to be a witness to others that you can live a holy, set apart life for Jesus Christ. He paid the price at Calvary and bought men, with the ultimate price of death and I must have the same feeling, if need be to give my life for Jesus Christ and do nothing to make my Savior displeased with me.

What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ.

I can answer that with one word. "CHRISTLIKE."

Praise God, and before I close this out I must tell Jesus, that I love Him. Brother Mike

"What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean? What is a saint according to the Bible? Why is it so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint"? What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

IT CAN'T GET ANY CLEARER THAN THIS: 

You might ask: How can I be a saint? I sin. I mess up. I'm no saint. Paul begs to differ. You are a saint, not because of your own personal perfection, but because God himself has set you apart to belong to him. "Saint" isn't a reflection on your state of perfection, but your state of ownership. You belong to God and he declares you "set apart" and "holy." He has called you to this role. The only question now is whether your calling will motivate you to actualize this title in your personal obedience and love for him. Like it or not, you're a saint!

What the world expects in the area of behaviour is perfection and in some cases judgment; we know better,

- I want to be separate from the world it it is that makes me glad, sad, or mad, because I tend to respond to situations as the world does.

- Someone granted a separate and exalted status by Christ and continually grown to a higher standard of behavior by the Holy Spirit and the church family.

- I find myself excusing myself from being holy because of particular weaknesses, when I need to accept the promises of success in following my calling.

- Someone said, "I don't mind being a servent--only being treated as a servant. Christ expects me to serve even when no one but him exalts me for it.

- Frankly, the often expect hypocrisy because that's what they've seen. But they also often expect consistency, because they secretly wish it were possible for them too.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) "What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean? What is a saint according to the Bible? Why is it so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint"? What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

Called to be holy or to be a saint as used by Paul indicates a being set apart and dedicated to God.  This is the traditional way the Bible uses the terms.  In the Old Testament God called all the people of Israel to be holy [hagiai], separated or sanctified to the service of God.  The Lord spoke to Moses saying, “Speak to all the congregation of the people of Israel and say to them: you shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy”. (Lev. 19:1-2) The church of the years began to use the term saint to indicate those who accomplished great things for the church; it became to be thought that these were more set apart than the rest.  However, in the sight of God this seems not to be the case.  Jesus taught the first shall be last and the last shall be first.  Also the son of man came not to be served but to serve.  This it would seem that as Paul wrote, “There is neither Jew nor gentile, neither slave or free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ”.  So a distinction is not to be made as different classes of citizenship in Christ for we are all one.

If we are set apart as personal property of the living God than  we are God’s slaves, just as we are slaves of Christ. (Ephesians 6:6) Thus being slaves we are bound to him, our lives are not our own but Christ’s.

The world expects Christ’s followers to be ‘holier than thou’ but they do not understand that we are not good as the world’s definition of holy but we are holy as ‘set apart for service for God’.  It is in service for God that we are different.  We love God and our neighbor as our self.   
And loving neighbor is defined by the parable of the Good Samaritan and by the parable of the Sheep and the Goats where the master says, “In as much as you do it unto one of the least of these my children you do it unto me.” (Matt. 25:40)

To be called to be a saint means you were chosen by God to be set apart for His Kingdom.

It goes with a lot of responsibility. I have to accept that I am an ambassador for Christ and act accordingly. This is where many go wrong. A lot of people say " I am only human, thus i cannot control myself.

To be sanctified means i must humble myself and allow the Holy Spirit to change my character into somebody worthy of Christ.

This doesn't mean temptation will not come. It means God is giving us the power to overcome sin by giving us the Holy Spirit as a teacher and a guide.

Whether I am obedient to God's call and instructions is my choice. Whether i use this awesome power God gave me is up to me, but if I do not use it I must realize there are consequences.

In Rev Jesus said he will spit us out because we are not cold or warm.

We must devout ourselves fully to God

And to do this written must be focussed on His Kingdom and on eternity.

As long as we focus on God we will seek His will, as soon as we focus on our surrounding we will become focused on ourselves and then it is very difficult to be a saint because my focus is not where my power comes from

"Called to be a saint" means we are called to be set apart from what is common. We no longer follow the edicts of this world, but we follow what is good and holy according to God and what Jesus taught.

To be a saint means that God Himself has set us apart, through the righteousness of Christ. It isn't a state of perfection in ourselves, but a state of being in Him. It is a calling and a free gift given to us on the merit of what Jesus did FOR us! Our identity is now in Christ! We are children of God! <3

It can become comfortable for us to say "I'm no saint" when we deny our real identity and when we don't have a true understanding of our salvation. It really is a sense of false humility if we say that because when we do, we place all our hope of righteousness in our own perfection or good works. All of us will fall short of that, even those we, with rare occasion will honor with the words "He's a saint" because of a life well lived. "Our" performance doesn't have anything to do with "being" a saint! We are deemed saints by the blood of Christ through His righteousness and nothing more! Others use "I'm no saint" as an excuse for their willful sins. Again, they fail to see their righteousness in Christ as the power of God in their lives to overcome sin!

To be set apart as the personal property of God should inspire us to live Holy lives because we ARE holy! We are motivated to live in obedience to Him because we love Him! The Holy Spirit lives in us and He is our helper in all things! We are sanctified and are being sanctified every day! Our lives should reflect this turning from sin and all that holds us back from our higher calling. We are son's and daughters of GOD! It astounds me every time I ponder it! Shouldn't we live as such? I say YES!

The world is watching to see if we really do believe what we profess. If we profess to follow Jesus, yet live apart from what He taught, we will be hypocrites in their eyes and there usually isn't any grace given by those who don't experience grace or understand mercy, so it is very important to weigh our beliefs and how well we live them out on the worlds stage! If someone professes to me that they believe something or desire to live a certain way and then I see them live the total opposite, I really question if they believe what they say. They don't seem to "really" follow.  As a Christian, I give grace to others in this, carefully observing if this really is a total lie in another's life or if it is a temporary trap of sin in a life. The world sees us the same way, minus the grace, so we should carefully live our lives guided by the Holy Spirit and in His power so we can be considered as having integrity in what we profess to believe in the world's eyes.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) "What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean? What is a saint according to the Bible? Why is it so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint"? What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

Q1. To be called "holy" or "saints" means to be set apart from the common crowd. It means that you report to God for every action, word, and thought. Your strength is the access to prayer by which you live your every-day life.

If it is easy to say "I'm no saint", it allows us to take off the responsibility of our actions towards others and ourselves.  After all, it make us simply "human", and "to err is human", which give us freedom from accountability.

To be set apart as a personal property of the living God gives us an ultimate satisfaction and total peace in every thing we do or experience in life. Nothing that comes to us will bring us down, because we know in our spirit that God is watching over us and that all things, good or bad, are used as a godly purpose for our life.

Those who choose to follow Christ allows themselves to be transparent with no hidden agenda or lies, to be witnesses of God's favour in our lives, also of His personal touch at refining and purifying our character through Him to the better service of His will.

Q1. 

Called to be, would imply a request to perform a duty, called upon for a specific task. Holiness would mean living a Christlike life.

Saints are believers in Jesus Christ. They are loyal followers of Christ. Such people are set aside for God, and Gods purpose.

Why is it so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint.?

A saint is a picture of perfection. One who lives a complete life of Christ. We are not made for perfection, while in our earthly form, so this prevents our complete perfection. Understanding this allows us to understand that we make errors, and we find comfort in knowing that we can repent and work towards that level of perfectionism. 

We belong to God. We need to obey Him as he guides us towards the purpose he alone has set for us. We are in training, so we need to listen and learn. Remain teachable and continue to know that our purpose in life is for God's glory, not ours. We need to live a life that glorifies God, willing to be more Christlike, and living a Christ-life existence. 

As followers of Christ, we are representatives of who Christ is. We are expected to life a live according to what God wants. We live a life based on the teaching within the bible. We do not life according to the worlds standers and worship only God. While the world is at watch, we testify to our beliefs. and live accordingly. God is love, so we to must love; God is the only and final judge, so we must not be judging but pray for each other. 

Q1.  Holiness

What does called to be holy or called to be saints mean?  We are called to be saints and to grow in holiness through Jesus Christ, who leads us on our own path to sainthood.  This path seems to leave humanity to reach a level of self-immersion in the divine.  The Lord asks us to lead a life worthy of the calling you receive.  It requires that we remain open to the action of the spirit.  We must also lead others to make a comittment to Christ whether they become teachers, prophets, evangelists or saints.

What is a saint according to the Bible?  Saint Paul addresses his writing to the saints of Corinth.  A saint is someone who follows Jesus Christ and lives according to his teachings.  A saint is a very virtuous person who has already encountered the Kingdom of Heaven. A saint means holy. 

The phrase 'I'm no saint' like hate the sin, love the sinner is easier to say than "please forgive me" or "please pray for me".  We often rely on our religion or our ancestry to try to achieve sainthood yet don't put our complete trust in Jesus Christ to help us.  What would Jesus Christ say to us?  He might tell us we are not the worst sinners.  Our private thoughts humble us to remember we need Jesus Christ.  When sin creeps back into our life that we don't want to deal with we need to confess and pray for strength to change.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) 

What kind of behaviour does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

Called to be “holy” or to be “saints” points to God’s initiative in the call of Christians. God calls each individual by name and if we hear and respond we become members of the elect of God; that is we become saints to enjoy the fellowship of His Son, Jesus. We have been set apart by God, reserved for Jesus Christ. We are called saints not because of what we do, but because of our position in Christ. We are called saints as we are brought into His Kingdom and our sins are removed by the work Jesus did on the Cross. Because of our daily struggle with sin it is difficult for us to think of ourselves as saints but rather as sinners saved by grace. We are expected to obey God’s commands and grow to become more and more like our Saviour Jesus Christ. The world is very critical of our behaviour and look upon us as hypocrites if we err ever so slightly. They expect us to act as saints in a righteous manner all of the time, not realising that we are still sinners working hard to conform. They will however see an improvement as we display the fruit of the Spirit more and more each day.