JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don’t like you, or of your actual enemies? What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him? What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers?

• 3 weeks later...

I thank God for my enemies each time I am reminded I have them. I do not dwell on the negatives. I just pray for them.

Thanking God for those who hated Paul showed a loving maturity in him.

He thanked God always for His grace which was given to the corinthian believers.

God told Paul His grace was sufficient for him. Paul learned that it was not his external circumstances that caused him to feel bad but it was the violation of his inner principles that caused him to feel bad. So it is with all of  us. To grasp in a greater way the grace of God we must die to our own inner principles and replacethem with God's principles. This is what Paul learned to do.

Honestly speaking, not enough. That's what I'm working. And since I have been working on thanking God for blessing my enemies or those I don't like, I feel a lot more relieved. I have turned it all over to God. Paul thank God for His grace and free merited favor for them because they were pagans before they came to know Christ. Paul specifically thanked God for the Corinthians gifts of utterance and knowledge.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don't like you, or of your actual enemies? “Wow!” Certainly a probing and humbling question because I never thought about doing that. I can only say “thank you Lord and brother Wilson for revealing my need to thank God for the blessing of my enemies.” What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him? “ Oh yes it reveals Paul’s contributive self-less character.” What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers? “Amazingly Paul is thankful for the folks qualities that are an annoyance to him. But then he praises their spiritual growth in Christ riches in everyway.”

I tend to ask GOD to show people in some way the hardness of their heart and the size of their ego.I try to remain humble and when something like the fact that i should be thanking GOD and asking him to bless people who have done me wrong is pointed out to me, i hang my head and realise there is always room for more humbleness.The fact that paul is doing so shows he is as close to being CHRIST as is possible without actually being him.To think he is thanking GOD for the things that the corinthians are doing which are hurting or annoying him, is incredibly humbling.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don’t like you, or of your actual enemies?

I've only learned to do this in the past few years! I read Ann Voskamp's book "A dare to live fully, right where you are....1,000 gifts". She calls that Eucharisteo...thanking God for the hard things, and looking for the gift in it. It's amazing how when I thank him for the blessing in advance,  I SEE the blessing, and the offense or slight or wound doesn't "stick". That's a gift in itself!

What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him?

Paul was spiritually mature in Christ! He remembered too, how he had been at murderous odds with believers, as well as having them imprisoned, so he had great understanding and compassion for those now at odds with him.

What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers?

Because of their flaws he thanked God for the Grace given them, and that they were enriched in Him in every way.

How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don't like you, or of your actual enemies? NEVER

What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him? HE IS WHERE I AM ASPIRING TO BE.

What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers? Paul thanks God for all their "speaking," logos, "word, utterance." Here it probably refers to every kind of "spiritual utterance" that are mentioned among the gifts of the Spirit in chapters 12 to 14 -- tongues, prophecy, a word of wisdom, a word of knowledge, etc.9 The church had been abusing speaking in tongues (chapter 14).

Here is where I invoke Romans 8:26--In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through.

I never thought about blessing my enemies and I need to think on that.  I pray for those I have argued with so I need to look at that area again I don't think Paul dwells on the differences as much as what they have in common

They have been enriched fully in Christ Jesus  ...with so much......"all kinds of speech and with all knowledge" This confirms to the apostle that he has been doing the right thing even if some people disagree with he, himself  He no longer wants to throw them into prison as once he would have!  That is the transforming power of Jesus through the Holy Spirit

How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don’t like you, or of your actual enemies?

1.  I must admit not often. 

What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him?

2.  He recognizes that God has saved them as well as saving him.  His character displayed the maturity in his own life.  He was not always were he is now.   

3.  Paul thanks God for the Grace that he extended to the Corinthians that has manifested in their speaking and knowledge. 

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don’t like you, or of your actual enemies? What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him? What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers?

I do not thank God at all for his blessings on those who do not like me. This is something that I have not even contemplated before and will take some praying for my forgiveness and understanding of these who are not my favourites.

Paul must have been closely atoned to Christ and lived very deeply in Christ in order to be so loving and understanding of his enemies and to ask blessing for them. On the other hand consider Jonah who criticized God for not punishing the people of Nineveh. Paul was what we in this day and age call a saint, yet we are all considered saints by the Lord. Such love is given to us by the grace of our Lord.

Paul thanked God for the Corinthians utterances and their knowledge. It seems as if the Corinthians have been highly blesses,' enriched in everything' - their speaking, such as tongues, prophecy, interpretation, a word of wisdom, a word of knowledge. These are all indicators of the Holy Spirit's presence in the Corinthian church but it seems as if abused these gifts of the Spirit and their knowledge gave them a sense of pride rather than a sense of awe and humility. More about this later in 1 Corinthians.

Winstony

How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don't like you, or of your actual enemies? NEVER

What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him? HE IS WHERE I AM ASPIRING TO BE.

I like this very much but I cannot say that I was or am anywhere near where Paul is on this.

What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers? Paul thanks God for all their "speaking," logos, "word, utterance." Here it probably refers to every kind of "spiritual utterance" that are mentioned among the gifts of the Spirit in chapters 12 to 14 -- tongues, prophecy, a word of wisdom, a word of knowledge, etc.9 The church had been abusing speaking in tongues (chapter 14).

Here is where I invoke Romans 8:26--In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through.[/size]

[/quote

Excellent. This is something that we all need to quote as we pray. Praying for our enemies is likely only one area that we need to rely on Christ as we pray.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don't like you, or of your actual enemies? My prayer is that of Paul’s, that the grace that comes from OUR God through the Messiah, Jesus, would continue to be the divine influence on their hearts, for it is not about Paul, it is not about me, it is all about Him that God’s grace would be reflected in their lives, the reason being, we are all called unto holiness, we are all called to be saints, so that God’s peace (eirene) a joining together of quietness and rest would bind all believers together.

What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him? They were in my opinion not at odds with Paul,  Paul realized their attitudes and behavior were not reflective of God’s” GRACE” upon their lives, Paul understood  they were confused about doctrine and the serious consequences it was bringing to the body of believers that must be addressed.

What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers? Paul was thankful for the grace of God that was given to those who truly believe and were called unto holiness in Corinth.

Q2. I don't put it in that light. I don't look at people as enemies, but as people on a journey of their own; maybe I see them as gifted in areas I am not, and struggling in areas I don't. I thank God for the relationship he/she has with me and how our interaction gives us each a different aspect of revelation in our lives in the light of God's truth.

As for Paul, he certainly confirms his humbleness and holiness as a saint to thank God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him. He sees the improvements and the fruit of the spirit in the Corinthians, which is a confirmation of his mandate from God to guide them and correct them further.

Paul is so thankful to have witnessed God's grace coming upon the Corinthians, which again fullfilled him with the knowledge that he is following God's calling in spreading the Gospel among the chosen people. The given gifts are the tools for them to carry on the work of God in the years to come.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don’t like you, or of your actual enemies?

I dont remember thanking God for those who dont like me, thanks a lot Pastor i have never thought of this.

Paul he was a leader indeed

Because they belong to Christ Jesus, in Him they have been enriched in every way, in all their speaking and in all knowledge.

1 Corinthians 1:4-7

Q). How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don't like you, or of your actual enemies?

A). It is very rare that I'm thankful for those who don't like me and even more rare that I'm able to see them as being blessings of God.

#

Q). What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him?

A). Paul's character shows that he has a firm grasp of the idea that it's not about him but about serving God and other people.  He is devoted to doing the work of faith which God has called him to do. 

#

Q). What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers?

A). Paul focuses on two terms -- utterance and knowledge -- that are tokens of their spirituality that the Corinthians are perhaps too self-confident in. (1 Corinthians 1:5)

Paul was using the "sandwich-technique" when he wrote this letter. Paul had planted this church in Corinth and had spent a year and a half nurturing it. He then received information that some of the members were moving away from basic church principles. This letter is typical of Paul's letters. He opens with an introduction of himself. Before he begins to reprimand the church....he gives praise to its members. We all have to remember there was a time when we were "infants" in the church. In "youth" comes learning....in "age" comes understanding.

Q.2 Thanksgiving

How often do you thank god for the blessings of your enemies?  Probably not enough.  But when I do in every way I can think of:  saying a prayer, doing good for someone, switching to a good attitude and remembering Jesus Christ.  I may start a gratitude journal to remind myself to stay positive.

What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him?  The passage says that Paul is very different from other people because he specifically belongs to God.  It is a quality that makes him distinct from others.  Paul actually writes this down.  It says to do good to people who would not return good.  You shouldn't think that because you do good you should get something back for it.  You can love your enemies and they might still be your enemies again tomorrow.

What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers?  Paul preaches that Christ would do things for the Corinthians because of their belief in Him, specifically the gift of Salvation.

Question 2

(1 Corinthians 1:4-7)

How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don't like you, or of your actual enemies? This is a question that many of us do not like, but when you see what God has brought me from, I have to cry out. "Save their souls Lord" let Your image be seen in me. I have to make it to heaven, no matter the cost. If I can't love the one who hate me, I will not be apart of the Bride of Jesus Christ.

What does it say about Paul that he thanks Godd for the gifts of those who are at odds with him? He praises them that they have the gifts of the spirit, that is saying even though Paul was very upset with the sins, he also praised them for he good things they had, but when you use them in the flesh it is an stench to God.

What specificlly does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers? He thank God that they had the knowledge of what he had taught them, even though they were getting more confident in the flesh and forgetting about the spiritual side of the gifts. Sometimes we have to come down to reality, and God hs ways of doing that. Thank God. Brother Mike

I just came out of a period where I learned to bless and pray for my enemies and recently have been growing even more to thank God for the opportunities to grow in even having enemies! It's really hard to look at having enemies as a blessing, but I have come to see various things in a different light. First, when we are met with on going obstacles (and it seems our enemies are persistent!) I have learned to not agonize so much over everything that is happening or what people are saying or what they are trying to bully through. I look at the situation as an opportunity to grow in faith and to trust in God. It is an opportunity to stop controlling situations by fighting back or arguing or getting even or even trying to draw my own little army around me. I can now let go, give the burden to God, let Him judge the situation and be patient while He works in it. When I can do that, I am freed to give grace and to be kind even when others have not been kind to me. I've grown to try to see that everyone is growing in different areas and at different rates, so I try not to over think the situation anymore. I listen to God more now than obsessing over the attacks or problems. He directs me in my next steps and I'm confident He knows everyone's heart in it all. Your "enemy" can look less like an enemy and more like a person in need of God (just like I am) when I look at it in that way. I've found God has asked me sometimes to stay in relationships that are turbulent (and He gives me peace in them) or He will release me from them in His time and I can go knowing I did my best to follow Christ. I just came out of a situation in that way and this lesson was another encouragement to continue in all I've learned. It is a more excellent way!

I think Paul shows He was a very balanced Christian as well as a very wise one. He sought the good in people and was quick to edify them in that, but did not neglect His responsibility to remind them of truth and how they were supposed to be living. Truth with love is a wonderful balance to achieve. Paul's main purpose was to grow people in their faith and in Christ. This was a flock that had embraced Christ, but who were struggling with sin. He wanted to return them to their first love and does it with grace but not neglecting truth. He was much more harsh with Jewish leaders who had not embraced Christ or the truth.

Paul thanks God that the Corinthians have been enriched in every way because his testimony about Christ has been shown in them. They have been enriched in all their speaking and all their knowledge, which includes, tongues, prophecy, words of wisdom and words of knowledge.

I have often ask God to help me forgive my enemies, not to have, or to dwell on any animosity towards them.  But, to show them forgivness, to feel and know forgivness in your heart for your enimies is a wonderful, godsent gift. I know I have felt it. However, I have not 'thanked' God for them, and never thought of it in such a way. This study is certainly giving me a different perspective. I do often Thank God for my infirmities and my struggles,but never thought of thanking Him for my enimies.

He is faithful, loving, and understanding, forgiving and teaching, in all things he emulates the character of Christ, even to those to whom he is at odds with. The Corinthians are his brothers and sisters IN Christ. He is compelled by the Spirit to love them and to show the same grace God showed to him through Jesus Christ. He is setting a good example of a 'mature' Christian brother. The Corinthians  have been saved by grace, just as Paul was saved by grace, with grace he must love them back, no matter how 'off course' they seem to be.  He must gently draw them back and guide them with the understanding given to him ( and to them) through the grace of Christ Jesus. He must guide them into being perfected by the Holy Spirit, to yield completely to the Spirit, not give into pride. Not to be "puffed up" in their knowledge of the word, but in all things show complete humility..

He thanks Him first for their kinship.They are brother's and sisters in Christ. He thanks God for their salvation.They have been saved by the sheer grace, the gift of salvation, just as Paul himself has been saved. Christ lives through, and IN him, and them

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) 

How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don't like you, or of your actual enemies? 

I’m sorry to say I have never thanked God for the blessings of those who don’t like me. I have never even given it a thought. But I must add that I fortunately have no enemies or at least any enemies I know of. By always thanking God for the members of the church that have caused him untold grief with their divisions and immorality displays a loving Paul whose heart is filled with gratitude because God chose to call His people out of the immoral and idolatrous environment of Corinth. For Paul, the prospect of reforming a group like these Corinthians was slight indeed. It is for this reason that Paul is so grateful for the work God has done.

Q2 - 1 Corinthians 1:4-7

a) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don't like you, or of your actual enemies?

Paul sets in play how we should be thankful for everyone, even those who may bring out less favorable qualities in self. Bringing those to prayer and presenting them to God, not only allows us to love them but helps us to understand our personal struggles, and opens that door for God to work with us to change and teach us a way of life more pleasing to God. 

B) What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him?

Paul lives life guided by God, with no personal judgement on his behalf. He is accepting that God's grace is for everyone,

c) What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthians believers?

Paul's thanksgiving is how God has enriched their lives in every way. In their speaking and knowledge in their testimony. How God has granted them spiritual gifts and their eagerness for Christs return. 

How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don’t like you, or of your actual enemies?

This question fits in with the question on sanctification. We are sanctified (character is changed) by hard times. God uses hard times to build our character. Often these people who give us a hard time are the people who are being used to build our character. Once you realize that these people who make our lives difficult are actually building our character, and they are sent by God, it becomes easy to thank God for them. The problem comes in when we focus on ourselves we become offended again and forget that these people are sent for our good.

Since Paul always sought the will of God he saw the benefit of these people, thus he thanked God for them.

How often do I pray for those that don't like me or my enemies, I must admit not very often. I have now discovered this is one of my weak spots.

Even those who are at odds with Paul, he still thanks God for their gifts, because they are called out to be His saints.

Paul thanks God for the Corinthians because they had grown spiritually, specifically their utterances and knowledge. Which was evident that God had confirmed Paul's preaching by the many gifts they displayed. 

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don’t like you, or of your actual enemies?  Honestly – Never.  My walk is still so very new. I will admit there are times that I see them as a tool to help me on my walk.

What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him?   It is humbling to see how God has touched Paul.  That he can be thankful for the grace God has given to some one other than himself.

Paul thanks God for their speaking and knowledge