JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 weeks later...

I my congregation there are minor divisions such as you will always have when you are dealing with people. These are external things that show ones imaturity.

In my community we have a multitude of diversity of churches. I have a prison ministry so have had opportunity to meet many Christians and christians? in our area. I have friendship with many from different churches and we have some minor disagreements but have agreed to agree disagreeably. The Lord will sort it all out in heaven. But the Lord also gives us discernment as to which churches to stay away from and there are plenty.

The case of divisions today are pride and context lacking in love.

If we love one another and agree together that we are saved by grace by faith and not of ourselves. It is the gift of God. We agree that Jesus is the only way to heaven and it is a narrow path to follow. All the other stuff in between means absolutely nothing.

What I see is some Christians acting better than others, acting like they don't want a less fortunate person to touch them. The biggest thing is "he said, she". Paul says they quarrel, strife and discord. Paul also says the Corinthian church family need to be united and on one accord. Basically the same thing that was seen in the church at Corinth, a lot disagreeing, Christians not liking each other. We must center everything around Jesus Christ our Lord. He brings unity, not division.

I see mainly disagreements about biblical events such as what happens when you die, the rappture, the belief that you can earn salvation by good deeds, the meaning of scriptures etc.The divisions in corinth were obviously the fact that people were choosing to follow different leaders instead of the one true leader and head of the church, JESUS. Divisions today are caused by in my humble opinion, hardened hearts and inflated egos. People are determined to have things their own way which immediately breaks the first commandment.They create their own gods and therefore the most dangerous thing, " RELIGION" or denominations. The LORD never told us to do this and infact expressly forbids it in the commandments.We must all come together as one church, one gospel, one word, that of our LORD JESUS CHRIST who gave everything for us.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 1:10-12)What kind of divisions do you see in your congregation or in the Christian community in your area? “The pettiness and selfishness of individuals causing disruptions in their own lives and families then spilling over into dissension in their own church and community.”   What is the cause of the divisions in Corinth? “They were not a unified body, with a common purpose but were characterized by quarrels and contentions, rivalries that threatened to tear the church apart.” What is the case of divisions today? “Deep suspicion of one another’s motives still exist however much we want to deny them. But for all intents and purposes the schism today continues to be lack of understanding of WHY God allows such divergent differences in peoples moral inclinations. The debate about LGBT and abortion and other moral topics affect most every family and in turn every church.” How do we obey the command to "agree with one another" (1:10)? “By staying in love with and in touch with Christ so our focus is centered on the Gospel and what Christ has done for us and trust in that Resurrection power that brings new life then it’s God’s responsibility to handle these other things. And handle them God will in this life and in the life to come. In the meantime the scriptures tell us we are to be ‘completely humble and gentle; patiently, bearing with one another in love. Making every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:2-3’.” 

Q4. (1 Corinthians 1:10-12)What kind of divisions do you see in your congregation or in the Christian community in your area?

Primarily, the gifts of the Holy Spirit! People are leaving one church where the Holy Spirit is welcome and going to another where He is not. Also, over the music and worship. ("We like the old hymns, so we're going where we feel comfortable with the old ways, we don't like change")

What is the cause of the divisions in Corinth?

Quarrel's, contention, rivalry, discord, schisms primarily over leadership favorites.

What is the cause of divisions today?

Pride...the desire to "be right"....the belief that there is only one "right way to do things."  (Political strife and political correctness have infiltrated the church and many behave as though at a political rally...."my party against any who disagree with my view point")

How do we obey the command to “agree with one another” (1:10)?

We are to STRIVE FOR LOVE  rather than superiority and to agree to disagree, laying aside personal opinions and preferences. We are called to extend the grace we've received, as Paul did, to those with whom we are at odds.

What kind of divisions do you see in your congregation or in the Christian community in your area?

What is the case of divisions today?

How do we obey the command to "agree with one another"

IN ALL QUESTIONS ABOVE; DIFFERENT DAY---SOS (Same Old Stuff)

What kind of divisions do you see in your congregation or in the Christian community in your area?

- I see - Family Church - The Father's House - Assembly of God - Lutheran (2) - Christian Church (2) - Baptist (4) - Presbyterian is my community with no fellowship between any of them.

- Paul, Appollos, Cephas, and "Christ" were all speakers of the truth to the congregation in Corinth.  So the people felt that the preacher they liked to listen to, was the one to follow, not realizing that they all spoke the same thing.  We are not to follow the different speakers who speak the words, but to follow Jesus Christ in the Bible.

- Pride, wanting my way, I am always right - are a few of the mind sets of the division makers today.  They will say, "I don't think you are right, therefore i am going to start a new church with my own teaching."   Opinions have become the bedrock of divisions.

How do we obey the command to "agree with one another"?

- Simple = draw close to Jesus and absorb His love and then love one another.  We do not have to have our own way all the time.  But we do need to follow the command to love everyone! 

The divisions I see in my church would be about forms of worship and a gap in how rich and poor relate to each other. That being said, I also want to say I am in the best church I have ever been in and though these divisions cause hurt, I do for the most part see a humble people trying to work through and follow Jesus. It takes time for all of us to grow.

The divisions at Corinth were quarrels, contention, rivalry and strife. They also were divided on what leaders to follow instead of being united in following Jesus.

What are the cause of divisions today? Same things! Quarrels over so many little things, jealousies, striving in human will, worldly "opinions" in the church and picking and choosing leadership based on status, money, looks or dynamics. In a nut shell....not seeking God or keeping our eyes on Jesus and HIS will or following HIS teachings!

We obey the command to "agree with one another" by standing on the fundamentals of our faith, agreeing to disagree on the small stuff and by being humble and gentle, bearing with each other in love. We keep unity through the Spirit because we are one body with one Spirit. We CAN see those we disagree with or who have hurt us with the eyes of love. Though we may not be called to stay in abusive situations, we can forgive, stop striving and look to Jesus for growth and healing in everyone. Forgiveness. It's a powerful tool to move forward, dropping the offence and in true peace finding the common bond of faith in Christ with a brother or sister in Christ.

Q4 - 1 Corinthians

While the congregation is believers, there personal doctrine is different. Reason being, the majority of members have come out of a recovery program that at one time found acceptance in each persons belief. Believe in a higher power of ones own choosing to be clear. Today, the leaders are still struggling to re-establish the firm foundation. With many different belief's and opinions, we are working towards unity...or at least trying. 

Division found in Corinth is caused due to many leaders, with different ways of presenting Jesus Christ. This has sparked a debate about how they should follow as far as teaching goes. "I enjoy listening to this one, or I like how that one looks," so this brings division. They have become clouded about following the true message being shared.

Radical thinking and internal mixing. The basic teaching of Jesus has become diluted, for the benefit of personal gain. 

How do we obey the command to Agree with one another?

Basic, teaching of salvation, and the true meaning of why Jesus Christ came. Start from the beginning, directly form the Bible. I remain as open as possible to the Holy Spirit and look to the Bible for answers to those difficult questions. I believe that when something is not feeling right, that something needs to be questioned. I will always bring my questions to the leader and resolve it in prayer and meditation. Trust in God always. 

Q4. (1 Corinthians 1:10-12)

How do we obey the command to "agree with one another" (1:10)?

Over the years I have seen fighting, gossiping, criticism, hatred, and bitterness displayed in churches. Others again had elite cliques in the congregation. I would say the same problems we have today in our churches must have occurred in Corinth. Remembering that the church then, comprised of brothers and sisters new to Christianity; a lot of divisions must have been caused also by pure ignorance. Our own self-interest, and selfishness is the root cause of most of the problems in any church - wanting to have our own way. In Corinth they also had the problem of personality cults emerging as well as baptism becoming an issue. They were exalting the names of mere men and this could only lead to divisions. It is only when we exalt the name of the Lord Jesus that there will be unity in the church.   

Q4. (1 Corinthians 1:10-12) What is the cause of the divisions in Corinth? (1 Cor. 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.)?  

They appear to be speaking in the "FLESH" instead of the "SPIRIT", that of the "SAME THING", the word meaning of (same thing) is ow-tos' baffling wind.

Paul came to them with a greeting of Grace and peace from God the Father and the Lord Jesus , GRACE means the divine influence on the heart and its inflection in the life, PEACE means eirēnē  i-rah'-nay, one, peace, quietness, rest, something that was missing in the church AND it was causing division, a partition wall instead of Unity. 

Q5. How do we obey the command to "agree with one another?" 

I believe it is normal and even a good thing at times to have a voice of opinion, even that of a difference, as long as we allow the Spirit to guide us in our speech and that we have an open mind to hear what is being said, not allowing a spirit of division to take control.  

I believe there may be times when one cannot come together on important issues of doctrine that it would be better to separate from them, and NOT cause disunity, discourse among the believers.

I often need to be reminded of (Psalms 133:1-3)  

V1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! 

V2 It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;

V3 as the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the Lord commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.

God sees our efforts to unite as a precious ointment, a sweet perfume, that of good and pleasant thing, we would be wise to put to PRACTICE the act of unity in all parts of our lives, for it stems from that of LOVE, it is not puffed up, for it is lowly and meek, there is no small part of its excellence = === "This is something I have to remind myself of and OFTEN".

1 Corinthians 1:10-12

Q). What kind of divisions do you see in your congregation or in the Christian community in your area?

A). I see the kind of divisions that are spawned by self-righteousness,  pride, self-seeking motives, greed, etc. These divisions lead to resentments, backbiting, dissentions and outright conflict.

#

Q). What is the cause of the divisions in Corinth?

A). The cause of the divisions in Corinth was "quarrels" (NIV, NRSV) or "contentions" (KJV), Greek eris, "engagement in rivalry, especially with reference to positions taken in a matter, strife, discord, contention."

#

Q). What is the case of divisions today?

A). The case of divisions today is the same as it was in the days of the Corinthian church. The divisions arise when we place self-will (our personal desires and ideas) above God's will.

#

Q). How do we obey the command to "agree with one another" (1:10)?

A). We must agree to disagree on the minor points, but unite around Jesus Christ our common Lord. As Paul exhorted the Ephesian believers (Ephesians 4:2-6)

Q4. (1 Corinthians 1:10-12)What kind of divisions do you see in your congregation or in the Christian community in your area?   It is troubling to see the Church has not progressed much… we too suffer from a lack of unity through pride, jealousy, ego, a lack of willingness to submit to the Churches authority and inability to humble oneself

A lack of unity.  Pride.  Jealousy.  Envy.

Divisions in any group/organization are still created by the lack of unity, which is generally be fueled by pride – jealousy – envy.

By learning to humble oneself – learn to see another as you see yourself. . . their wants, their needs, their ideas, their thoughts mean as much to them as yours do to you.  No one part is better/more than another.  It is the many parts that make up the whole. We need to learn that it is okay to disagree.  "Unity in necessary things; liberty in doubtful things; charity in all things."

Q4. 

What kind of divisions do you see in your congregation or the Christian community in your area?  Equal rights for gays and lesbians and church leadership.

What is the cause of the divisions in Corinth?  Quarreling, group disorder and leadership.  Who is their leader or who do they follow, Apollos or Paul or Jesus Christ.

What is the cause of divisions today?  Pride, beliefs, rule-making, traditions and distrust. 

How do we obey the command to "agree with one another".  If we are right with ourselves we can be right with others.  We must fail in our love for each other and in changing for the church.  We must show in our unity the hope for fellowship.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 1:10-12) What kind of divisions do you see in your congregation or in the Christian community in your area?

A. I have not seen any apparent divisions in our church. If they are there they are not prominent. I have seen many divisions in the Christian community; some topics that cause division are homosexuality, abortion, the position of women in the church, the Rapture, salvation (once saved always saved or not), miracles, healing, intercession, how to dress, money, divorce and remarriage, music, tribulation, cleaning the church, and more. Anything that any two people could disagree on can cause division. I think we still have some of the same things going on in our churches as the Corinthians did. I have heard so many different churches claim to be the only True church. What do we say today? I am a Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Nazarene, Word of Faith, Charismatic, Lutheran, Pentecostal, non denomination, etc. Seems to me that is what the Corinthians were doing when they were saying I follow Paul, Apollos, Cephas, or Christ.

What is the cause of divisions of the divisions in Corinth?

A. Quarrels, contention, rivalry, strife, discord

A. Biblical Ignorance, pride, selfishness, being self centered, legalism, distrust, gossip, traditionalism, manipulation, heresy and a lack of true Christ like love.

How do we obey the command to "agree with one another" (1:10)?

A. We must put our focus on a close personal relationship with Christ and understanding the word of God. When we get close enough to Christ to truly see what he did for us, the sacrifices he made because he loved us, to feel that love, perhaps we will be able to truly love each other as we are commanded. 

Q4. (1 Corinthians 1:10-12)What kind of divisions do you see in your congregation or in the Christian community in your area? What is the cause of the divisions in Corinth? What is the case of divisions today? How do we obey the command to "agree with one another" (1:10)?

What I have seen in many of today's congregations is a lack of priority. They seem to be lost and caught up in the MAGNITUDE of the church, more then the MESSAGE of the church. Quantity verses quality. Many  churches in my area ( and I'm guessing it is the same all over) are aspiring to be 'mega churches' or 'people seeking' churches. During the process of drawing more and more people through the door, many of these churches are losing perspective.  From 'hip music' ( which I do like) to concession stands ( which I don't like) that sell videos, books, coffee, food, etc.  to hiring quest speakers ( some of which I do like) it  seems these aspiring 'mega churches' will stop at nothing to get the people in the door.  And, that's great, if it is for the right reason-to lead people to Christ. To teach Bible based lessons, and to be a caring, responsible team of Pastors and Elders who really care about their parishioners , and seek to emulate Christ in all their endeavors!. Not about the amount of money they are bringing in each week. While I am realistic and realize it is important to have the money to run a church. I don't think being the largest, most elaborate church should be the focus. The focus should be on UNITY in Christ. Not on how much money or people your church bring in, or how large your church is.

Jesus expresses this better then I ever could according to Matthew 21:12-13 (New International Version)

12 Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. 13 “It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’[a] but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.

Sometimes,I feel like I'm entering a "den of thieves" instead of a house of prayers.

I have also attended others who have deviated away from teaching directly from the Bible. I believe this is a form of dissension as well. The last church I attended quoted scripture out of context and then proceeded to give a life's lesson on what it means.  I would prefer to go directly to the sovereign, supreme counselor, Jesus and rely on His word, His teachings about life!!! I would prefer my lesson ( my church experience be based on Bible teaching) to be just that, a lesson on the word of God, not a lesson on life as perceived by a mega pastor from a mega church! I couldn't agree with Pastor Ralph any more than I do that today churches have much of the same dissensions as the churches of 2000 years ago! Greed, different 'forms and manners' of teaching, different perspectives and priorities, envy, pride, EGO etc.all stand in the way of the main priority of the Church, to be the teaching Body of Christ, Unified by the love Of  Jesus Christ! The body of Christ.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 1:10-12)What kind of divisions do you see in your congregation or in the Christian community in your area? What is the cause of the divisions in Corinth? What is the case of divisions today? How do we obey the command to “agree with one another” (1:10)?

Divisions we see in our community congregations today are; one congregation will not allow musical instruments in the church; another believes they are the only true church; one believes only their baptism is the right one; and another believes the gifts of the holy spirit where only used during the time of the apostles.

Causes of divisions in Corinth were groups of clicks, others believed in following only the apostle, others wanted only to follow their favorite individual because of their appearance or the way they delivered the gospel.

Divisions today mostly argue about who is the true church and at what time the rapture will occur

Obeying the command " agree with one another", first love one another, we are all brothers in Christ; next be patient and be at peace with everyone.      

Divisions

1) What kind of divisions do you see in your congregation or in the Christian community in your area?

It is a very disturbing subject to even talk about, that something of this nature would be in the house of God. I have prayed very hard concerning this subject. As I study the scriptures we are warned, that this would be very prevelate in the last days. People would be biting and devouring one another, my God, just read the news and perversion is running wild in the very house of God. Most people are coming to church to be entertained, one group wants this type worship, another wants another way to worship. Unless the power of the Holy Ghost has complete control of the Church, there will be nothing more than a social gathering.

2) What is the cause of the divisions in Corinth?  

They are confused about the way a church should operate. They don't even know that it is all about Jesus and not man. When people start worshipping the creature more than the creator, the Church is about to become a flesh oriented place of worship.

What is the case of divisions today.

Pride and a self centered church will produce no more than a church where no one will experience a real encounter with the Lord Jesus Christ. God's IS not the author of confusion.Everyone with a self centered life will keep confusion among the congregation.

4) How do we obey the command to "agree with one another"

The only way to keep unity among the congregation is for the people to have a dedicated prayer life and listen to the man of God that is in charge of the flock. If he or she is a person of God, they will be seeking God for the direction of the Church. Coming together in prayer will keep a unified church.

Praise God. BROTHER Mike

Human nature never changes, really.  We have the same kinds of divisions that the early church struggled with.  In this electronic age, ours are just more public.  We have divisions on church doctrines, divisions on preferences, divisions on cultural influences, divisions on personalities.  The church I grew up in, but no longer attend, was crippled by relying on individual personal preference rather than seeking what God reveals about His desires and plans.  In the self-proclaimed “Bible-teaching church” where I am now, there is much in the way of instruction and ministry, but I have discerned serious error in long-held teachings on a couple of issues that do not line up with what the Word actually says as a whole.  I believe they are important issues, but not critical to the foundations of faith, so I’ve chosen not to be divisive.

Divisions are caused by the pride of introversion, looking inward at self rather than upward and outward at God and His Word.  Whenever we place our own interpretations, self-interests, desires, and plans above His we have stepped out of the unity Christ established for His Body.  That creates quarrels, divisions, plots, feuds, and rivalries.  The Corinthians were enamored with the characteristics and styles of leadership of individuals to the apparent exclusion of a focus on the actual message.  The gospel message of Christ is clear and simple – and must be the primary focus.  Various church creeds and canons are not the important thing, the essential doctrines of Scripture are.  We must learn to recognize when we’re trusting in our intellect, traditions, desires and preferences (Prov.3:5-6), and submit that sin to the one Spirit of God who is at work to maintain oneness.  We will always have diverse opinions on how to live out the Gospel, but we must be unified in the foundational principles of that Gospel.  The essentials are found in Ephesians 4:1-6…operate in humility, gentleness, patience, forbearance, love, and the bond of peace.  We have one Body, one Spirit, one hope, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all.  Christ is undivided, and we must strive to be so as well.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 1:10-12)What kind of divisions do you see in your congregation or in the Christian community in your area? What is the cause of the divisions in Corinth? What is the case of divisions today? How do we obey the command to “agree with one another” (1:10)?

Question 1.4

a) The United Church of Canada is a young church formed in 1925 by the Union of two large denominations, the Methodist church and the Presbyterian Church of Canada.  As well a third smaller church the Congregational Church.  In our local church you can still see the division between the dour, staunch, Presbyterians and the more open and lively Methodists who tend to be more spiritual and outgoing.  Our new minister introduced the passing of the peace.  The Presbyterian influence can be seen in the objection to shaking hands in church let alone a hug for your neighbor.

The division in Corinthians seems to be that different groups in the church supported different missionaries.  Some Paul, some Appollos of Alexandria, others Cephas (Peter) others Christ.  This seems to be causing one of the first schisms in the church.  

There was probably also division caused by their gifts of the spirit and by their knowledge. The former would cause jealous as to who had the best gift and knowledge always causes dissension but not necessarily schism.

c) Agreement is difficult because we do not value others more than self. To the human the value of self seems to reign supreme unless it is controlled by the one being disolved completely 'in Christ'. If one is in Christ then self is unimportant and Christ is all important. But Christ demands that we love our neighbour as our self- to care for them and to love them as self. If we do this than our opinion is not important, the other is important.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 1:10-12)What kind of divisions do you see in your congregation or in the Christian community in your area?

Division where there is no unity in every brethren, misunderstanding, and this I think is because of the reason that they lack spiritual maturity.

The division in the church of Corinth is because people tend to look at the people whom God appointed to lead them. Some of them maybe convinced by their leadership style, by the way they look or might be of favoritism.

I think the case of division today is about pride in the heart of every christian.

The best thing to do to obey that command is to love one another and to be humble.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 1:10-12)What kind of divisions do you see in your congregation or in the Christian community in your area? What is the cause of the divisions in Corinth? What is the cause of divisions today? How do we obey the command to "agree with one another" (1:10)?

I am not sure of any serious division around individuals in my Church but certainly there are division based on differences in opinions on certain issues and policies.

The cause of division in Corinth was primarily based on preference to certain leaders to others. This was probably because certain leaders were more articulate or good in speech, conduct, administration and thus preferred to others.

There are many causes of division today. Some are based on doctrinal differences while some are based on personality differences e.t.c.

To agree with one another does not mean we accept whatever the other person says but that we should be humble even in our disagreement which should be done in love.

1.  In my church congregation I see family members that separate themselves from other members of the church.  When issues come up they side with each other against other members of the church.  We are suppose to be one family when we enter into the sanctuary.

What is the cause of the divisions in Corinth? What is the case of divisions today?

2.  Division in Corinth church was who particular man of God preached the best, looked the best etc.  We have those same situations today.  All of us feel our Pastor preaches, teaches, look the best.

3.  We all have difference of opinion, but we should work together in harmony. 

1.  In my church congregation I see family members that separate themselves from other members of the church.  When issues come up they side with each other against other members of the church.  We are suppose to be one family when we enter into the sanctuary.

What is the cause of the divisions in Corinth? What is the case of divisions today?

2.  Division in Corinth church was who particular man of God preached the best, looked the best etc.  We have those same situations today.  All of us feel our Pastor preaches, teaches, look the best.

3.  We all have difference of opinion, but we should work together in harmony.