JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

Within a Christian denomination, unity is encouraged by common foundational beliefs and goals as congregations work together in ministry partnership in a way greater than any one congregation could accomplish alone.  The varieties of denominations can foster disunity when any take an attitude of superiority in their own church doctrines over all others.  This can set up the quarreling and rivalries Paul warned against, which diverts focus on the mission of the universal church.  I would guess that, without associative connections, a stand-alone non-denominational church could face the problem of insulating or isolating itself from the rest of the Christian community and perhaps developing an attitude of self-sufficiency.

We can tear down barriers and strive for unity in the Body of Christ as long as we share the core beliefs of the Gospel.  Just like in dealing with people on an individual level, sometimes we simply have to agree to disagree on extraneous interpretations, traditions, and preferences within the universal church.  We should search for the common ground and ways we can work together for the higher good of the Kingdom of God.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 3:4-9) In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity and in what ways do they foster disunity?

In order for any denomination to encourage unity, they must first "Put On" The Mind of Christ in order for the heart of the Spirit to lead, otherwise mans carnal thoughts can easily lead the way to disunity, the same truth holds for the congregation, it is most important that they "PUT ON" The Mind of Christ, so they will be able to separate false teaching from the truth, being more able to exercise the Spirits fruits of love.

How can we tear down the barriers that divide us?

I believe it is most important that we look at ourselves, making sure we are no longer children tossed to and fro, carried about with every wind of doctrine, so that we will speak truth which edifies itself in love, and not with the vanity of the carnal mind.

The mind of Christ teaches us the importance of being renewed in the spirit of our minds, we are to "PUT" on the new man with the goal of edifying, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit's bonding of peace, enabling us to be more aware of those who are causing divisions and stumbling away from the doctrine of Christ.

I believe it is important that we remember, the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and full of mercy and good fruits, and is without hypocrisy, for the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 3:4-9) In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity?

By building a group of churches where they also meet and fellowship once in a week and by proclaiming that salvation is thru Jesus alone.

In what ways do they foster disunity?

I see disunity foster when even christian inside the church are full of pride and they don't know the meaning of the word humility.

Does belonging a “non-denominational” church make any difference regarding unity throughout the body?

I don't think so.

We must always remember that as a believer chosen by God, we only have one spirit, one God, one faith & one salvation.

Denominations encourages unity because it's the "universal" church as a whole, meaning the body or group of all saved people everywhere. It includes all who have been redeemed by Jesus' blood, have been forgiven of their sins, and have been born into His spiritual family. Denominations fosters disunity by saying this denomination is better or this one is not right. Humans tend to pick and poke at any denomination that is different from theirs. It doesn't matter whether your nondenominational at all Christ died for all and He is Lord over all. We can tear down the barriers by realizing there is only one Lord over all, and He is Christ Jesus our Lord.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 3:4-9) 

In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity? 

Does belonging a "non-denominational" church make any difference regarding unity throughout the body? 

I’m not sure how denominations encourage Christian unity but I do know that the cure for division is turning away from self and setting our eyes upon our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. It is only when our attention is focused on our Lord that we will have less time for thinking of our selves or others in the congregation and getting up to mischief. I doubt whether a ‘non-denominational’ church will experience any greater unity. As Paul states (v3) jealousy and arguing are a sign of immature Christians and as they try to get their own worldly ways in the church there are divisions created. It is this selfishness that is at the heart of sinful behaviour and occurs were ever people congregate – a church or a sport club or whatever. Of course this selfishness is a characteristic behaviour of a child where their only concern is its own comfort and attention. So one of the ways to tear down barriers that divide us is to create mature Christians who are focussed on our Lord. This needs to be done with proper teaching of the Word – not a watered down version of the Word. We have to be more tolerant of our brothers and sisters in Christ who each do things a bit differently than the way we might do it. 

Denominations encourage Christian unity by being like minded in doctrine, meeting together to worship, serve and function as a family together. The Body of Christ.

Denominations can foster disunity when they view themselves in pride as having an exclusive truth or truths over other denominations. They want to split hairs over things that don't really matter and ignore the BASIC truths that hold ALL of us together as Christians. We are not a bunch of churches, we are THE Church!

I don't think non denominational churches make much difference in unity. I see them becoming just another denomination that think being non denominational is better than being of a denomination! Either non denominational churches have to state some doctrines to live by (and thereby become something of a denomination) or they have to have no set belief guidelines and become a free for all for everyone toting tolerance which would be of no truth at all.

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

Q). In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity?

A). Denominations encourage Christian unity by bringing together people who adhere to a common understanding of Christian doctrine.

#

Q). In what ways do they foster disunity?

A). The denomonations foster disunity by becoming adversaries rather than co-workers.

#

Q). Does belonging to a "non-denominational" church make any difference regarding unity throughout the body?

A). It should not make a difference. However, an adjective used in front of church is an ill-conceived idea (e.g. Lutheran church, Baptist church, Methodist church...etc.). There is only one church. The church is the body of Christ.

#

Q). How can we tear down the barriers that divide us?

A). We can tear down the barriers that divide us by being in agreement on our main job which is to point people toward Christ. A 17th century bishop put it well: "Unity in necessary things; liberty in doubtful things; charity in all things."

Q2. (1 Corinthians 3:4-9) In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity?

Sadly, in my church experience I haven't seen much effort in promoting Christian unity. The church is made up of dysfunctional people, and we all pretty much are, since we have belly buttons, and dysfunction lends itself more to disunity. Pastors may suggest or expound on Christian unity, but after all, they are only one individual in the group.

In Q one, I mentioned that individuals emotional wounds foster the desire or need to be "right" and "superior", and naturally the church or denomination each is in, feels "right"....and in that kind of reasoning.... the present one is the only "right" one. (Pride and inferiority feed disunity)

Does belonging a “non-denominational” church make any difference regarding unity throughout the body?

I've been in both denominational and non-denominational churches...people are people regardless of which church they are in. (I've seen wounded prideful people expound on how much better a non-denominational church is, without all of the denominational rules and regulations. I've seen others in denominational churches hang their pride and separateness  (isolation?) on the longevity of their denomination and it's "rightness" because it's been handed down through centuries.)

Repent or change our minds from our silly "it's all about me and what I want and think" and ask the Holy Spirit to gives us His heart and mind...to be filled with His love and desire for HIS CHURCH! To stop seeing ourselves as "this" or "that" denomination and see ourselves as THE BODY OF CHRIST..HIS BRIDE....SOON TO BE REUNITED AS ONE BODY WITH HIM. Sadly, He is the Person sent to teach, train, comfort, instruct, lead us into ALL TRUTH,  and guide us.....and the churches are more divided about The Holy Spirit than just about anything or anyOne else!

Denominations encourage Christian unity by ecumenical activities-services , prayer groups etc.

Denominations foster disunity by their insistence upon on trivial doctrine. Paul and Apollos probably had differences but both were planting seed and watering so there was no need to fight over the field workers as did the Corinthians.

No, even non-denominational churches are denominational.

By prayer an attitude of humility wherewe as Christians do everything in humility regarding others as better than ourselves.

In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity? FOR THOSE WHO NEED OPTIONS INSTEAD OF OBSTACLES; DENOMINATIONS PROVIDE THAT.

In what ways do they foster disunity?  FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR AN AVENUE OF JUDGMENT; THEY HAVE THAT.

Does belonging a "non-denominational" church make any difference regarding unity throughout the body? ONE BODY, ONE BIBLE, AND ONE GOD, REGARDLESS OF DENOMINATIONS.  

How can we tear down the barriers that divide us?  FOCUS: ONE BODY, ONE BODY, ONE GOD.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 3:4-9) In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity? In what ways do they foster disunity? Does belonging a “non-denominational” church make any difference regarding unity throughout the body? How can we tear down the barriers that divide us?

Churches encourage unity through Christ by teaching, preaching and service. It is important for us to examine each church's doctrine before attending a particular church. We, as Christians have a responsibility to have a Christlike mind and heart, and be able to discern if the teachings of a church are in line with our true Christian beliefs. We must always examine what we are  being taught to us in church, and search out the bible to be sure we are not being taught false doctrine. Our mind and heart must ultimately belong to GOD,not the leaders of our church.

I believe the simple fact of splitting up into denominations  fosters disunity.

Yes, I believe belonging to a non denominational church  does make a difference in tearing down barriers. My church is a non-deniminational church and it is not unusual to see people of many faiths attending.

In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity?

In the end all churches are preaching Christ, all are building the Kingdom of God, we all serve the same God and we are all members of the same Body.

In what ways do they foster disunity? Sometimes jealousy and envy take place, Other times quarrelling control us over small issues. Sometimes there are arguments over "stealing sheep" when actually the whole flock belongs to God.

Does belonging a "non-denominational" church make any difference regarding unity throughout the body?

I don't think so, it is just another name. It is what is being preached, proclaimed and done that matters.

I found that setting up projects that involve a number of churches work well. Also having a Pastors morning once a month where different churches leaders meet builds unity. The last point that helped a lot was to have Bible studies with a number of different pastors from different churches meet at "neutral ground" build unity. This does take a strong leader and mature pastors to succeed, and the rewards are tremendous

Q2. (1 Corinthians 3:4-9) In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity? In what ways do they foster disunity? Does belonging a “non-denominational” church make any difference regarding unity throughout the body? How can we tear down the barriers that divide us?

Denominations encourage encourage Christian unity by their faith, love and hope in Christ. Encouraging evangelism, classes in the faith and encouragement to attend Sunday services.

The foster disunity by insisting that their way is the true church for one, another preaches that their method of baptism is the only true baptism and one must be re-baptized into their denomination.

Belonging to a non denominational church makes no difference in the body of Christ. Usually most believers that attend there because they like the preacher or they don't agree or contend with tenants of most main stream congregations.

It will be difficult to tear down these barriers because there are so many various forms of worship. If we could just come together and worship God and adore Him in one accord, it would be an accomplishment.          

I have been a member of a non-denominational church for 25 years. I have many dear brothers and sisters who belong to all kinds of denominations. We never quarrel over silly junk.

When I meet a new brother in a store or on the street I never ask him where he goes to church to determine my relationship with him. We are brothers in Christ and reconize that.

I just don't have time to get caught up in the silliness of stuff that means absolutely nothing. If there were going to be denominations in heaven God would have taught us about that.

I heard a story about a visiting evangelist whom as the people were leaving the church, an elderly lady told him that her denomination would be going first in the rapture to whom he agreed. You are right, ma'am he said, The Bible teachs that. It says; "The dead in Christ will rise first". I doubt he was ever invited back.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 3:4-9) In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity? “In denominations unity is encouraged by appealing to people that are of a like-mind about their theology and cultural traditions to work together for common aims.” In what ways do they foster disunity? “They foster disunity when they treat members with different theological or cultural traditions with indifference.” Does belonging to a "non-denominational" church make any difference regarding unity throughout the body? “It shouldn’t. However people, even in non-denoms. should be aware of cultural biases before committing so they know what to expect from the group.” How can we tear down the barriers that divide us? Prayer for discernment and by encouraging people to pray for one another especially asking for the Mind of Christ, for the Spirit, so everyone glorifies Christ as Lord in thought, word and deed.”

Denominations provide a place where people who are like-minded as to how to worship and what they believe to be important theologically, to serve Jesus together.

They foster disunity when there is so much division that the glue of the Spirit doesn't work anymore.

Nondenominational churches are also operating by like-minded persons who agree how to worship and their theological beliefs. They do not cause disunity.

Disunity reigns when the Holy Spirit doesn't.  We can think of ourselves as the Universal Church--which we are--and appreciate differences we all have. They will know us by our love.....

Very often we see dnominations of similar beliefs working together in youth rally projects and things like that. I used to be the lead guitarist in a Christian band back in 1992/93 and we had a Bretheren, an Anglican, two Baptists, two Presbyterians, and a Uniting Church member, in our band. As such we used to get work at ALL the above denominations' youth rallies and we'd see the same faces show up at a few of them.

There aren't really much doctrinal differences between Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, Uniting Church, Church of Christ, Open Bretheren, Salvation Army, and Congregational denominations. There would be nothing really stopping someone from one of them from worshipping at any of them. There'd be no glaring doctrinal issues.

Same goes for the Anglicans, Catholics, etc. I went to a high Anglican funeral recently and thought I was in a Catholic church!

Then there are the Christadephians, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc, who all believe similar things.

We also have a plethora of full Gospel denominations, Assembly of God, Christian Outreach Center, Christian Life Center, Church of God of Prophecy, etc, who are all basically the same.

There seems to be groups of denominations that only differ slightly from each other, but who differ markedly from the other groups of denominations.

By basing their denominations on small points of Scripture that in the larger scheme of things don't matter.

To be honest, most “non-denominational” churches are based in the main on the previous affiliation of the pastors. Dig around a bit and you might (make that probably WILL) find that the pastor had problems with his denomination and broke away, forming his own non-denominational church that is in fact a non-afilliated stand-alone church no different to where he used to minister.

By focusing on our similarities rather than our differences. I mess with the heads of the Jehovahs Witnesses when they come around ready to argue, by focusing on the similarities. They want to beat to death the differences that make their religion the only true faith and are ill-prepared to talk about the things we all have in common, like Jesus Christ and Him crucified!

Denominations do find Christian unity when they set their eyes upon the world as a single concern. When their are prayer gathering to focus on a part of the world that is in turmoil, or pray for Israel, or for a catastrophic event that took place on another continent, there is great unity to join hands and support to others. When the eyes are set on grander values, I am sure it make God rejoice for Christians.

Disunity comes when the focus gets narrow. God is concerned with the world and everyone who will surrender to His will, not our agenda. The name of the church does not matter, it is the content that makes the difference. Either way, the jealousy and quarreling come from the same source of pride in individuals, not the label of the church.  The barriers among us are men-made; only God can change the situation by working with individuals who are willing to obey Him.

In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity? In what ways do they foster disunity?

1.  You have many different individuals with a variety of gifts and abilities that come together as one.  Disunity comes about when we start thinking that the work we do or our Man of God for the Lord is better or more important than the other Christian's work.  This will cause division among the church.

2.  No, you will still have those that will desire glory for what they do.

3.  Recognizing that we all are servants of the Lord and it is He that has given us the gifts and abilities to do the work to build His Kingdom and not we ourselves.         

By and large I do not believe most denominations encourage Christian unity.  They are stuck on their brand of Christianity and its founder.  Just like what Paul was writing to the Church in Corinth about.  Most non-denominational churches are the same in that they are stuck on their church.  Their church is the focus not Christianity at large -- not the larger body of believers.  Churches get stuck on their preachers and pastors and cannot see beyond them.  Many churches and denominations think they are the only way, have the real answers, and are the only true Christians.  With this environment no wonder there is no world-wide Christian unity.  People seem to want to follow people and organizations.

The only answer for Christian unity is stop being mere man as Paul said to the Corinthians.  Christians need to truly know and live the word of God in order to set themselves free from tradition and bias.  The Promise Keepers organization over the years has done a great job in getting Christian men to see that true Christians do exist in other churches and denominations other than their own.

Christians need to know that all true Christians wherever they are at are those have follow Jesus Christ and have accepted him as their personal Lord and Savior.

I didn’t know that denominations encouraged Christian unity. I thought that denominations usually came about because if disunity in the church. Once in a while you will hear one denomination uplift another, but that isn’t very often.

Being a non-denominational church doesn’t make any difference regarding unity throughout the body. Usually that means that they don’t have a chain of command. Tearing down those barriers is going to be difficult. When there was only one denomination they men at the head became to powerful and abused the power that they had.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Corinthians 3:4-9) In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity? In what ways do they foster disunity? Does belonging a "non-denominational" church make any difference regarding unity throughout the body? How can we tear down the barriers that divide us?

Denominations encourage Christian unity because despite their diversity, they preach one Christ and one Lord

The way denominations foster disunity is by doctrinal differences where each denomination believes that only her doctrines are correct and even attack other denominations for having wrong doctrines.

Not really. Belonging to a "non- denominational" church may or may not make any difference. What makes the difference is the attitude of members within the church towards one another. If the Holy Spirit and love are the driving forces of each member, there will be unity because there will be no preferences to certain people, no quarrels, no jealousy e.t.c then only will there be unity.

The barriers that divide the body of Christ are listed above. Unity will be found when the body of Christ allows the Holy Spirit to guide every member in our daily lives and by teaching only the truth as led by the Holy Spirit of Christ.

• 1 month later...

There are all kinds of attempts for Christian unity among denominations from seminars to retreats to weekend gatherings.  I am specifically referring to thos who remain true and loyal to the "matchless Word of God", wherein there is One true God, Son and Holy Spirit.  Those efforts are Biblically correct and empahsize unity appropriately. 

Although there are legitimate reasons for denominations, that is one of the main reasons for disunity because there is quarreling and fighting to try to prove whose is the right theological way.  The only thing that matters is our relationship with the risen LORD, not to which particular denomination we may belong.

Although each Christian non-denomination or denomination can lead towards unity if they have the following in common: a personal forgiven relationship with the LORD Jesus Christ and working in sync with Him towards the unity of us all...