JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

The Corinthian church had grown with people from varied cultural and religious backgrounds.  Many had come out of pagan beliefs that involved debased and immoral sexual practices as part of their “worship” of the gods they formerly looked to for protection and blessing.  These practices were also rampant and prominent in the culture around them.  It was somewhat considered the “norm”.  And acceptance of these practices had crept into the congregation, probably over time little by little.  The church was not influencing culture; culture was influencing the church.  Sounds very familiar.

Paul already clearly defined that this congregation and its leadership were compromising godly wisdom and truth.  They were ignoring application of it in the way they behaved.  Instead of longing for spiritual wisdom, they were proud of human wisdom to the point of arrogance.  They were living without an awareness of the rich blessings of Christ that they possessed.  They were disregarding that all who are part of the Church are God’s holy temple and were openly harboring sin within that temple.  They were not standing firmly on knowing nothing except the crucified Jesus Christ.

When you step away from the wisdom of truth or fail to embrace it, you can only walk in darkness.  It’s just impossible to fully discern lies without knowing what is true.  When you live in the natural instead of the spiritual, you are blinded and dulled to truth because the standard of holiness is impossible for the natural mind to grasp/accept.  So they became defensive of their lifestyles and insistent that no one had the right to judge their worldly value system.  Also sounds very familiar in our culture today, where we have some churches who openly endorse things that God has said are unholy, where culture demands that we be tolerant of all beliefs and “lifestyle” choices, where we are bombarded with “relative truth” that sways and contorts with circumstance, where people who believe and rightly apply God’s Word are castigated and ridiculed as intolerant and narrow-minded.   The Corinthian tolerance of immorality (and ours today) reveals a value system based on depraved human worldly wisdom that isn’t wise at all.  It’s a rejection of divine wisdom from God. 

Tolerance is not the virtue we think it is when it becomes compromise with truth.

Why do you think the Corinthians were so proud of their tolerance of immorality? THEY HAD NOT BEEN HELD ACCOUNTABLE; IN THE FACE OF PLEASURE ACCOUNTABILITY MUST PREVAIL.

What does this say about their value system..THEY HAD NO VALUE SYSTEM; NO RULES, NO RULES TO BREAK.

These questions are update for our churches today. Men and women have taken to viewing **** and allowing their imaginations to rule over their flesh. Perhaps a slap on the wrist and a little understanding goes a long way for those who do the same things under-cover. This may be the reason for the boasting. Stern but loving correction is the order of the day. The process of correction has already been defined. The church must follow thru with it.

This church had a value system that was not being applied. When correction and failure to apply God's value system is not in order, one has to wonder if the church is just a religious organization and the people have not the Spirit of Christ (Romans 8:9).

The Corinthians were probably proud and tolerating the sexual immortality because they either didn't have governing church laws to go by, or they just didn't care what the members did as long as they attended service and give their tithes and offerings. What this says about their value system is they didn't go by God's laws in the Holy Bible.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 5:1-2a) Why do you think the Corinthians were so proud of their tolerance of immorality?

They were new Christians caught up in the outward expression of gifts, perhaps seeing the outpouring as a sign of maturity and the thinking that therefore they "had arrived". They lacked the moral power and excellence of soul which Paul spoke to them about and were "all talk" and a collective facade of the Gospel message. Immorality was the norm for them, and they had not yet seen that Jesus wants to transform and regenerate us...to deliver us from the very things which they embraced.

What does this say about their value system?

They were an extremely promiscuous society, and had much to learn about the faith. They clearly did not understand what Righteousness was in application to everyday living. They were a people of "flesh"....gluttons, prone to sexual perversion, etc, and were not clear about what God's Word teaches about modesty, sexual purity, and holiness. (That they had been called out and set apart for His use and service)

1 Corinthians 5:1-2a

Q). Why do you think the Corinthians were so proud of their tolerance of immorality?

A). I believe the Corinthians were so proud of their tolerance of immorality because they  trusted in their own ways above God's way.

I remember watching a tv talk show many years ago where a couple of prostitutes were the guests. I thought it was sadly humorous when one of the prostitutes said "I just want to make people happy!". Prideful disregard for divine order always blinds worldly people to the truth. But it's even worse when a member of the house of faith lives with disregard to God's saving grace. 

#

Q). What does this say about their value system?

A). The Corinthian church members were pridefully tolerant of willful sin. Their reaction should have been mourning that such a sin would occur openly among God's household!

"It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles..." (1 Corinthians 5:1)

Q1. (1 Corinthians 5:1-2a) Why do you think the Corinthians were so proud of their tolerance of immorality? What does this say about their value system?

Question 5.1

Paul in this chapter begins to deal with specific problems of the Corinthian Church.  Here in chapter 5 he begins with a case of sexual immorality which “is not even found among the Gentiles” (5.1, KJV)   It is an interesting aside that Paul is here considering the non-Jewish Corinthian Church to be members of the covenant of God rather than Gentiles.  They then should consider the acts by their members of having sexual relations with his father’s wife as being horribly immoral as would a Jew of Israel.  Instead they are proud of their tolerance of the deed!
Paul gives no hint of the reason for the tolerance but it may be from the fact that the Corinthians feel that as Christians they do not have to answer to any moral law, they need only to answer to themselves.  Because Paul stresses no need for circumcision or food laws than the Corinthian Church felt anything is ok.  But Paul tells them different and scolds them for their tolerance and tells them of the prohibition in Lev. 18:8, 20:11.  Paul scolds the community as a whole for their complicity in the matter. (Hayes, 81)
Alternately the Corinthians may be boasting in their spirituality and their wisdom all the time tolerating the moral misconduct of a member.  This attitude is similar to the attitude of ten found in todays churches, where moral behavior is not disciplined by the church.  A far cry from a century ago.

This implies that the Corinthians valued their wisdom and their spirituality more than their morality.

They had mistaken tolerance for good morals.  Societies think they are growing--keeping up with things--being current and applicable when in truth they are falling deeper and deeper into sin--to the point that what is wrong becomes right and vice versa.

They had a poor value system.  As is still common in some countries today, woman do not have value.

My pastor in So. California years ago, spoke on I &11 Corinthians.  He called it 1 &11 Californians!!

Q1. (1 Corinthians 5:1-2a) 

Why do you think the Corinthian were so proud of their tolerance of immorality? 

They could have been so proud of not disciplining the offenders because of their own complacent and self-confident attitude. Seeing no need to react to any immorality they would excuse it or even rationalise it. Or they could have been careful not to offend anyone and thereby not lose any church members. Very much like our churches today. Their value system was definitely at fault. I think Paul was more shocked by their tolerance than about the sin itself. They had not yet realised that it’s all about the moral purity of the church and the lives of its members being an example for all to see. Satan often uses sex as a tactic in tempting believers. Unfortunately it is a trap many fall into. They also had not yet learned that flagrant sin in the church must be dealt with. Jesus had given detailed instructions in Matthew 18:15-17 on the procedure to follow. “If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.' If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.” 

Q1. (1 Corinthians 5:1-2a) Why do you think the Corinthians were so proud of their tolerance of immorality?

Sin makes a man proud, it makes him ignorance, it makes him feel as if what he has done is not wrong and to continues doing wrong

The is no discipline among them

I think Paul was more shocked by their tolerance than about the sin itself.

Yes, I also think this is true.  It's a terrible thing when we get to the point that sin doesn't shock us enough any more to the point that we cannot tolerate it.  Last week I attended our local high school's annual spring theater production.  The play was done very well and the students did an outstanding job as actors.  BUT it was so uncomfortable and disconcerting to watch as these teens played the parts of courtesans and eunuchs in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" with its "adult" humor and sexual innuendos.  It made me cringe as those young ladies tried to be seductive in their roles as high class prostitutes and young men relished their provocative jokes and sight gags.  I don't know how anyone else reacted, but to me it was certainly indicative of this cultural tolerance of things that God does not tolerate and it was a sad thing to observe.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 5:1-2a) Why do you think the Corinthians were so proud of their tolerance of immorality? What does this say about their value system?  

Man is a prideful being.

The Corinthians were full of pride,unwilling to admit they were doing anything immoral, they were in denial of their sin. Excusing it. The humility they were taught by Paul's first  visit soon wore off when they did not have him around to nurture their faith. They were babies in Christ and needed a mentor until their faith matured.They did not continue to grow in Christ, their sins continued and even worsened, stunned their growth and their path to perfection, righteousness and sanctification. Their value system was based on earthly values and not Heavenly, Godly values.

Why do you think the Corinthians were so proud of their tolerance of immorality?

Having recently become Christians out of a culture of loose morals, the church in Corinth could not hold fast to the Word of God in having a high moral standing.  They became tolerant of the sexual sins around them so they would not offend the new convert.  They did not fully understand that to be a follower of Jesus, one must seek to not "love" the world, but LOVE Jesus and His Word.

They resisted changing it from their previous life.  And that system was at "rock' bottom.  "If it feels good, do it."  "I am not hurting anyone."  They value scale was on how pleasurable it was, not on the value that God placed there.

Why do you think the Corinthians were so proud of their tolerance of immorality?

I see this very much in the church today. Homosexuality is defended by many churches under the veil of "we must help them" instead of being honest and truthful and say this is wrong and it doesn't matter what the world wants us to do, if I am in Christ I am dead to sin. That also mean I will not tolerate sexual sin in the church, any type of sexual immorality must die when I accept Christ.

Their value system was more about pleasing people and being in line with society than it was to be in line with the Word of God

I think the Corinthians were so proud of their tolerance of immorality for the same reason churches today follow that same path. They didn't want to "offend" anyone. I left a church permanently because of these kind of tolerances and the mind set was that we wouldn't be showing "Christian love" to others if we didn't tolerate their lifestyles. It was often said that we couldn't "judge" them. When leadership objected....prominent groups just ousted leadership. There was no Biblical standard adhered to, no truth just all "love." Needless to say, that church is struggling still, wondering why they aren't being blessed by God! There was a great compromise in what was really truth and speaking that in love. The leadership wasn't saying these people couldn't come to the church, in fact they were welcomed, but when the message of sin came up, those in sin would rally with their friends and persecute the Pastor. They wanted a pick and choose religion, not anything founded on truth! They even demanded leadership roles and when it was explained to them that they couldn't lead in a place that professed certain truths that they didn't believe in nor lived, they were outraged! They couldn't wrap their minds around a church that truly believed in the Word and that they were in essence in rebellion to that. They thought the Church should be an institution that allowed all things and they wanted to lead it down that path! Even some "christian" people were deceived by this and the church eventually went into full out war and needless to say fell apart with all the focus on fighting and "issues." Tolerance is not Biblical. TRUTH with love is.

The value system in tolerance is very weak. There is no foundation. No truth to stand on. It fluctuates with every addition or subtraction of philosophy in life. People in any church that stand for tolerance are not true followers. True followers demonstrate grace, speaking truth in love but we don't compromise truth!

The Corinthians were proud of their tolerance of immorality because this was their norm for the day. They tolerated it because most likely elders were practicing it also. They had lost their love  and purpose for being Christians.

Their valve system was totally corrupt and immoral as the pagans were brought into the church they kept their practices, thus a little leaven (sin) will ruin the lump (church). So the church went by the way of the pagans, they had forgot their valves and standards for being Christians. 

The Corinthians were proud of their love for their fellow man. That included tolerance of any sins they were committing. I suppose that could be understandable. Paul had taught them about the love of God and they, in their mistaken ways, were trying to practice that love. But also the very culture in which they lived was all about sexual freedom and immorality wasn't regarded as immoral in a culture that promoted and encouraged it.

I think this attitude of tolerance and the associated pride that goes with it is reflected in many of our churches today.  The attitude is that Jesus is loving and the church is open to all and look at us we are so loving and tolerant.  We accept you.  I think this is misguided theology and reflects as with the church in Corinth spiritual immaturity and a misunderstanding of what the church stands for and how Christians are to behave.  Additionally, some churches will tolerant anything to keep members in the pews and the treasury full.

It appears that the value system in the church of Corinth was primarily carnal and worldly. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the Corinthians were as proud of their tolerance of immorality as we are today. We don’t want chastise anybody for the way that we are living because we want to be able to accept everybody into the church. That means that their morality has dipped about as low it can go.

The Corinthians were proud of their tolerance of immorality because they have been so enmeshed with  the greatly adulterous  and idolatrous majority pagans who practised all forms of sexual atrocities and were living as they did and the weak leadership did not help matters.

The church had thus lost its sense of chastity and value system was terrible as it was no longer sensitive to sin.

• 1 month later...

1.  They did not see anything wrong with what they were doing.

2.  They had none.   They were more into pleasing the flesh than maintaining standards of morality found in God's word. 

Q1. (1 Corinthians 5.1-2a) Why do you think the Corinthians were so proud of their tolerance of immorality? What does this say about their value system?

In verse 2a, Paul referred to the Corinthians as “arrogant”, which taken in context would seem to lean one in the direction that this population had strayed away from the sexual purity that Paul’s previous message had accented and more widespread was the idea that the people somehow thought they were free from normal sexual constraints.  In using this strong language with the people, Paul was making the strong and poignant point that their actions and behaviors were doubly inappropriate in light of their shocking sins.  The other fact is that the Corinthians were more tolerant of flagrant sin than the pagans among whom they lived. Additionally, the Corinthians had strayed far away from the standards of holiness and acceptable behavior.

• 5 months later...

The Corinthians were proud of their tolerance of immorality in ignorance.  They were growing in faith but there were some of the old customs still being practiced.  This they did until Paul opened their eyes and they learned that what they were allowing is a sin.  I think that once they were instructed they abstained and begin to teach others of the need for sexual purity.