JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

In this passage, Paul guided us away from close association with “anyone who bears the name of brother” who is engaged in open unrepentant immorality and sin.  Such a person is a corruptive influence in the Body that cannot be tolerated and is to be purged from the fellowship.  It is also dangerous to maintain a close personal relationship with this person except to foster an influence of love and concern for restoration.  Who you spend time with affects who you are and what you do.

However, Paul made it clear in vs.10 that he is not talking about unbelievers who haven’t come to faith in Christ.  They aren't held accountable to the spiritual and moral standards of the Body of Christ because they don’t belong to that Body.  They remain in darkness without spiritual light to guide them, The only issue for unbelievers is repentance of sin with faith in Christ as Savior.  Any relationship there has to be careful and ever-guarded against any compromise with their worldly view and practices.  It should be humbly and prayerfully approached as an opportunity to be an influence and living demonstration of the Gospel.  But while we want to create an open door of friendship, I don’t think this means it would be wise or advisable to spend extraordinary amounts of leisure time together.

According to this passage, with which sinners should we be willing to associate? THOSE WILLING TO LISTEN TO TEACHINGS AND REPENT.

Why make a distinction between unbelievers and believers? OBEDIENCE AND A SINCERE EFFORT TO DO THE RIGHT THING.

What are the dangers of associating with unbelievers?  ASSOCIATION BRINGS ABOUT ASSIMILATION.

What are the dangers of associating with unrepentant believers? ONE OF YOU WILL CHANGE; IT WON'T BE THE UNREPENTANT BELIEVER.

We should be associated with those believers walking in the faith, not just talking about being followers of Christ but walking in the faith as believers and doers of the Holy Bible. In order to that you are walking as believers in Christ, you definitely must distinguish between believers and unbelievers. Believers are not only going to talk the talk, they are going to walk the walk. Unbelievers only talk it but don't walk it. One of the dangers in associating with unbelievers and unrepentant sinners is that are endangering your own salvation by associating yourself with them.

We should associate with, live our lives & worship with believers.

Unbelievers have not accepted Christ.  Their lives in sin prove that.  Unrepentant believers are also put into that category.  We must not have close association with them.

The dangers to associating with either of them is that you may corrupt yourself or be enticed to sin.

However, you can still pray for them, and share Jesus with them and show them love.

​According to this passage, with which sinners should we be willing to associate?

We need to associate with the unbelievers in the world, that we might be a good witness to them

Why make a distinction between unbelievers and believers?

The believers are Christians.  When Christians commit sins open to the public, it must be dealt with by the church.  While unbelievers, are the people who do not know Jesus as Savior and are the ones we need to convert.  Christians are to judge those within their own congregation, while God judges those in the world.

What are the dangers of associating with unbelievers?

Our faith must be strong enough to resist any false words spoken by the unbeliever.  Being firm in the faith means that we put action to our faith in understanding more and more of what the Bible says and following it in our lifestyle.

What are the dangers of associating with unrepentant believers?

Giving the impression of lowering the moral standard that we live by, by being with and condoning their evil lifestyle.  We must hold them at arm's length until they repent and turn back to Jesus

1 Corinthians 5:9-13

Q). According to this passage, with which sinners should we be willing to associate?

A). We should be willing to associate with sinners of this world.

"I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world..." (1 Corinthians 5:9-10)

#

Q). Why make a distinction between unbelievers and believers?

A). We make a distinction between unbelievers and believers because Paul makes it clear that Christians are not to shun unbelievers (1 Corinthians 5:9-10, 12-13).

#

Q). What are the dangers of associating with unbelievers?

A). The dangers of associating with unbelievers is implied in Jesus' metaphor: "Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." (Matthew 10:16)

#

Q). What are the dangers of associating with unrepentant believers?

A). The willful misconduct of unrepentant believers can have an adverse effect on the church. "Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners." (1 Corinthians  15:33).

Q4. (1 Corinthians 5:9-13) According to this passage, with which sinners should we be willing to associate?

The unsaved folks in the world around us are never going to come to know the love of Jesus if we avoid contact with them. We are "letters" to them "written  by the Spirit of the living God on hearts of flesh rather than on tablets of stone"  II Cor 3:3.... we are His hands and feet and voice and heart in the world, without which they will likely not be saved. "How can they hear if we are not sent?"

As new believers my husband and I backed off from our unsaved neighbors, not understanding this passage, and that we are salt and light in the world. My husband grew up in a cult which taught them to avoid anyone who wasn't a "member in good standing" in their religion, so this seemed right to us. This was a grave mistake, in that we were no longer in a place to influence their lives or to present Christ to them.

The unbeliever has no "light" or means to live a pure life, and therefor is a fertile field for "harvest" unto Christ.

The unrepentant believer has the Holy Spirit within, and is living in outright rebellion and refusal to yield to the Holy Spirit's urging to live in purity, preferring instead to flaunt flagrant immorality.

If not stable in faith, spending too much time with unbelievers, opens one up to the influence of "their father the devil, who is the father of lies." We are in a spiritual battle, and if not well grounded, attacks, even subtle ones, can wear us down or cause us to be discouraged. Also, a weak believer may "go along to get along" and fall into behaviors and places best to avoid, rather than being "light" in their darkness. In all matters, following the leading of the Holy Spirit helps to avoid these pitfalls.

In the same way as "going along to get along" with unbelievers, the same is true of hanging out with unrepentant believers...one may fall into behaviors and places which lead to corruption. Also by hanging out with a rebellious believer, we appear to be approving of their lifestyle and choices while negating our responsibility to "pass censure" on them. Their "leaven" may "ferment" our faith.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 5:9-13) According to this passage, with which sinners should we be willing to associate?

With unbelievers

The unbelievers they dont have the life of God within them, the prince of this world has blinded their eyes, we need to win them to Christ. The believers they. Have the life of God within them they know the truth, they are disobedient.

1john 4: 5 says: These men belong to this world, so, quite naturally they are concerned about worldly affairs and the world pays attention to them

Rember the antichrists they went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us they would have remained with us.

Which sinners should we be willing to associate with?

Those that are unbelievers. Jesus came to save the sick and the lost and that should be our purpose also.

We make a distinction between believers and unbelievers because believers have professed to be followers of Christ and believers in His Word and saved by grace. This should result in a changed life with service to Him. If a believer gets caught up in an unrepentant sin, he is held accountable according to what he knows and professes to follow. An unbeliever is not saved, has not embraced truth nor professed a belief system. They are living in darkness and need Christians to interact with so they can be brought into the light and be saved. How will they know if no one interacts with them to tell them?

The dangers of associating with unbelievers is being caught off guard to the ways satan will use them and their lifestyles to deceive us as Christians. He (satan) is very cunning and he will offer temptations when we interact with unbelievers, he will test our belief system through them and he will try to catch us in careless living in the moment when we interact with an unbeliever. We need to be guarded, wise, well grounded and prayed up!

The dangers of associating with unrepentant believers is entering into compromise with them. It is true that a person becomes like those people they interact with the most. If we don't hold believers accountable to unrepentant sin and make that the crux of our association with them, then we have put a stamp of approval on compromising Christian standards. THEIR compromise may not be the one we are tempted to enter into, but the sin of compromise will get us in our own area if we turn a blind eye to it. I see so many church cliques fall into this area. Instead of being a faithful friend and pointing to truth, so many just become "loyal" to people and help them remain in sin. The kiss of a friend really can be worse than a slap by an enemy! A TRUE friend helps another friend grow in truth and Godly living!

Paul writes that the Corinthians are not to associate with sexually immoral persons who belong to the church- not even to eat with them. (5:9-11)

A distinction between believers and non believers because Paul writes "For what have I to do with judging those outside?" (5:12)Both we and the Corinthians are to do the same.

When associating with unbelievers that are immoral their immorality may rub of unto others like a bad apple in a barrel. 

Immoral believers may be worse than non believers in that they would probably believe and try to convince you that their approach to life and religion is just fine. And you should join their life style.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 5:9-13) 

According to this passage, with which sinners should we be willing to associate? 

We should not be willing to associate with unrepentant sinners who call themselves believers. They obviously do not practice their faith and can be considered as hypocrites who give Christianity a bad name. One has to question if they were ever born-again. We have to be very careful when associating with them that we do not give them the impression that we might be condoning their sin. Of course, we are to love them but not their deeds. If given the opportunity we should, in love, try to help them change their ways. We cannot dissociate ourselves from the world and unbelievers, but they do give us the chance to witness to them and explain the gospel. We must be careful about passing judgment on unbelievers in the world as they will be brought into judgment by the Lord Himself. But when it comes to judging believers in our church, we have a duty to exercise godly discipline. 

Q4. (1 Corinthians 5:9-13) According to this passage, with which sinners should we be willing to associate? Why make a distinction between unbelievers and believers? What are the dangers of associating with unbelievers? What are the dangers of associating with unrepentant believers?

Accordng to the passage in 1 Corthin. 5:9-13, we should not be allowed to associate with any sinners in the congregation.

To make a distinction between believers and non believers will help us to correct and strengthen those of the church, non believers must be witnessed to with much love and care, for we were once a non believer in the world.

Associating with non believers in our social life, could help bring them to Christ by our witness and life style. Explaining to them the sacrifice and redemptive work of our Lord.

Associating with unrepentant believers could lead us to allowing sin to creep into our lives, plus to believers, could symbolize that we are condoning and sharing in their sinful life.   

Any and all in the work-a-day world, but in our private lives we need to keep our distance from unbelievers and back-slidden Christians. I have a real problem with that.

If we shun unbelievers we'll never reach them for Jesus. But we're told in this passage that we shouldn't "hang out" with unrepentant Crhistian sinners.

We could become too involved in what they do and start doing it ourselves. Like I said, I have a huge problem with that. The many para-church organizations such as Christian Boardriders and the God Squad MC are a real light in the black when it comes to reaching the lost in those respective cultures. BUt I can see the merits of close fellowship with your own band of believers in private.

The danger of associating with unrepentant believers is that according to this lesson we could become corrupted along with them.

Here is where I have the biggest problem. My marriage broke up in 2007. My old drummer, who was also my former training partner when I did Powerlifting is now an internet cable technician. I asked him to come and cable my new address for the internet and he did. But he nearly flipped the van on the first corner trying to get away from me once he'd done the job. We hadn't seen each other in a while and as is often the case with close friends, whenever we got together it used to seem like it'd just been a few weeks when it had actually been a year or more. With my being so flat out gigging and touring and him being busy at work and at his church, we hadn't even spoken for quite a while. I told him I'd like to re-establish closer contact now that I was on my own and he flat out didn't want to know. Told me in those exact words, too. He shunned his best mate.

I've seen this happen heaps of times. "Jim's getting divorced, My marriage isn't the best either. I'd better not hang out with him in case I catch divorce too."

When folks go through a marriage separation they need support and understanding, not the contempt and suspicion of Christian friends. We're not interested in racing off your missus! When a marriage breaks up very often lies are told by either or both parties about the other party. In my case my ex told anyone who'd listen that I was extremely violent. Someone had told her to do that in case our asset split went to the Family Court. In Australia the Family Court is all about the wife. ALL husbands are regarded as violent sex offenders unless we can prove otherwise. As it happened we didn't need to go to court and she eventually stopped making that stuff up and telling everyone, but the damage to my reputation has already been done and I have NO friends from before 2007.

My girlfriend sometimes asks me about my ex and I try not to slam her the way she slammed me. I prefer not to speak that much about her.

According to this passage, with which sinners should we be willing to associate?

Paul instructs us to associate with the unsaved in as much in the way of witnessing.

We aren't called to be judges of the unbelievers but by example show how an unbeliever can be transformed by the teachings of Christ and ultimately, salvation.

Believers who are our brother and sisters who have chosen to be followers of Christ are deserving of love together with discipline to be shown gently  their moral error

to encourage them to return to the community and fellowship of the church.

To be led into their ways, to lower our Christian standard in order to befriend them, to spend so much time in their company as to disregard the fellowship of Christians.

To be drawn into their error of custom or belief thereby corrupting ones relationship with God/ Christ.

According to Paul, Christians should not have a problem associating with non-believers.  The world is the world and the world does want it does.  As Christians we deal with the world daily.  We cannot disassociate with the world because this is where we are at.  However, being Kingdom citizens we are not of this world.  So we share the gospel in word and deed as we deal and associate with the world.  We treat all others rightly, justly, and fairly. 

However, Paul directs the church to disassociate with believers who arrogantly sin with no repentance. To associate with them would suggest that we condone their behavior.  Christians need to be one in ethics and morality.  Christians who display the fruits of the flesh are horrible witnesses for Jesus and totally discredit Christianity.  We need to separate from those who claim Christ but openly sin without shame.  Sin particularly defined by sexual immortality, displaying greed, gossiping, slandering, cheating, etc.  In other words producing the fruits of flesh vice the fruits of the spirit.

Associating with non-believers doesn't mean hanging out with them.  We need be discerning with whom we intimately associate with.  People have a tendency to like those they associate with.  This includes both non-believers as well as carnal Christians.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 5:9-13) According to this passage, with which sinners should we be willing to associate? Why make a distinction between unbelievers and believers? What are the dangers of associating with unbelievers? What are the dangers of associating with unrepentant believers?

We should not associate with unbelievers and unrepentant Christian.

The danger of associating with unbelievers is that they may lure the weaker Christian to sin and backslide.

The dangers of associating with unrepentant believers are that they may believe that their sinning attitude is acceptable and thus continue to sin; others may also be influenced into sinning like the unrepentant sinner

According this passage the sinners that we should be willing to associate with are those that are in the world, not those that are in the church. The reason for the distinction is that we are trying to bring the unbeliever to the saving grace of Jesus Christ. The believers have already had at one time been taught about this saving grace and have decided that they didn’t need it.

The danger with associating with unbelievers is that we all seem to fall to the lowest denominator and associating with non-believers they just might bring us down to their level. Just look at what has happened in the United States.

• 2 months later...

1.  Unbelievers who live in sexual sin, greedy cheats, thieves and idol worshippers.

2.  To see that there is not much difference between the two. Christians believe in Jesus and non-believers do not.

What are the dangers of associating with unbelievers? What are the dangers of associating with unrepentant believers?

3.  You can be influenced by them.  You can be corrupted. 

Paul states that we should not associate with unrepentant sinners for fear by that association to give a message of acceptance of the sin/life style...a distinction between a believer and non-believer relates to whether or not the person has repented of sin and has Jesus as their Savior...we should minister to unrepentant sinners by assisting in their restoration, by not fellowshipping with them but sharing the gospel, the good news, on how a person can be transformed when they repent.  That is our role as believers regarding unrepentant worldly sinners/non-believers.

• 5 months later...

According to this passage, we should be willing to associate with those who would be willing to respond to the message of the gospel.  The  distinction between unbelievers and believers because the unbeliever needs to hear the gospel message and know of God's love and that he is welcomed to the body.  The dangers of associating with unbelievers when you are not giving them the message of the gospel which the Holy Spirit will use to convict of sin.  The dangers of associating with unrepentant believers and not telling them of their sinning is to enable them in their sin and you will be held responsible for not telling them that they have sinned and need to repent.

• 5 months later...

We should be willing to associate with non-believers who are open to the word of God, and also those that are trying to repent and do better. Non-believers cannot be held up to the higher standards of Christians. By associating with non-believers, we are in danger of following their ways of life. Unrepentant believers can cause us to look acceptingly on the ways of a sinful life.

• 6 years later...

1 Corinthians 5:9-13) According to this passage, with which sinners should we be willing to associate? Why make a distinction between unbelievers and believers? What are the dangers of associating with unbelievers? What are the dangers of associating with unrepentant believers?

As Christ moved about with the "sick of this world, who needed a physician", so should we together with Him. Call them to repentance. Minister to them and not disassociate ourselves from them. 

The believers who have turned their back on what is right, we should be careful of lest we are taken to approve of their sin. We should love them but hate the sin. If we have fellowship with them it is easy to be drawn into their lifestyle. Also the unbelievers easily notice who we are seen to associate with and draw their own conclusion about this.

In both cases, believers and unbelievers, watch! Be on your guard, lest you fall. 

• 1 year later...

This cuts to the bone. 

I've been a Christian for many years but associate almost exclusively with non-Christians. This isn't by choice but by circumstance -- the people God puts in my path are atheists. This includes family: my father and children. As my father dies (I am caring for him now) he openly mocks Christians and God, yet I continue to serve him. My oldest son, amazingly, turned his life to Christ a few weeks ago. I can see God working in him already, shifting his goals and morals, thus sanctifying him. He's the only Christian in my life.

All believers are called to minister to those around them. I do not believe that people cross our paths via happenstance -- if anyone comes into my little sphere of acquaintances, I regard this as God's appointment. This includes secular people, obviously. 

I feel called to minister to a certain subset of people to whom I hope to have access, again, after my father dies. All are secular. Although sexual sins, drinking, drugs, greed, idolatry, swindling ... are common among them, I have learned to step back and away without rejecting them. Amazingly, they were protective of me, shielding me from their own worst behavior, language and tendencies. Perhaps they intuited that I loved them, genuinely and purely. I miss the presence of secular people in my life right now. Deeply. 

Paul's notion that we shouldn't eat with seculars, in my opinion, not only opposes Jesus' teaching but contradicts his own behavior. More importantly, it opposes Jesus' behavior. Though Jesus had a circle of "Christian" friends, He was never their peer but their teacher. No one with whom Jesus associated was a believer, though many were Jews. Only after the Spirit came at Pentecost did the apostles instantly transition to true faith. Before that, they were swimming in conflicting cultural and religious ideas and values. 

The fact is that Paul, like Jesus, associated with seculars. He was constantly offending and angering people, making converts and arguing with the politically and socially powerful of his time. I have no doubt that Paul ate with seculars, too. 

Peter's dream of unclean animals comes to mind, here -- Acts 10. God showed Peter, in a dream, that he was supposed to eat with non-Jewish people. The point of that dream isn't the abrogation of Jewish dietary laws, but to command Peter to stretch beyond the behavioural walls that kept Jews associating with only Jews. Peter, like Paul, was commanded to eat with Gentiles ... the "seculars" of his time.

--

Pastor Ralph asked, "Why make a decision between believers and unbelievers?"

This is the ultimate binary, isn't it? Either one is saved or not saved, Christian or secular. There's no grey-scale in salvation. Though sanctification, after salvation, is ALL grey-toned,  salvation is predicated on the black-and-white idea that a person is either a believer or an unbeliever. We are to witness to unbelievers.

Christians who never leave the womb of the church thus associate exclusively with other Christians, find it difficult to witness because they never meet seculars and have no idea how to relate to them. They're afraid of the world. They've retreated to safety. They may be afraid of their own untested sinful tendencies. Is there a risk involved in associating with seculars? Yes, of course. But that risk lessens with time and experience. One doesn't become "immune" to temptation but it simply ceases to be interesting. There's no draw. No temptation, after awhile.

We all have weaknesses and must avoid situations in which those weaknesses could be manifested, but really, shunning secular people because we could potentially fall into temptation seems the opposite of what Christ has called us to do. Of course, we'll be tempted. So, do we run away or buck it up with the Spirit's assistance? Do we face down Satan or run back to our cloistered churches?

We're told we won't be tempted beyond what we can handle. We either believe this or not. In my wee experience, Christians become toughened by temptation, suffering and adversity. Suffering is a huge part of growth. So are mistakes. We grow only in the heat of His crucible and His hottest crucibles involve secular people. 

Sorry about this long-winded response. Comes from the heart ...