JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Immorality and Repentance

• 1 month later...

What does the scripture teach here about participating in homosexual acts? "Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." (6:9-11)

What does the scripture teach about heterosexual immorality? adulterers

Why is repentance so important for a believer?  IT RESTARTS THE CLOCK AND HELPS TO COPE AND TO CORRECT.

Throughout the Old and New Testament we see that homosexual acts is a abomination to God and is a serious, serious sin! The Scriptures also teaches us that heterosexual immorality is also a sin. Heterosexual sexual relationships is only meant for married couples. Repentance is very important to believers' if they are looking to entire heaven. Otherwise, instead of going to heaven when your body dies, you will be hell bound and that will be for all eternity.

Acting on sinful ungodly lusts is transgression against God and the intimate relationship He established for marriage between a man and a woman -  whether that be acts between same-sex partners or between opposite-sex partners who are not married to each other.  Words and terms can be redefined by culture and the world’s standards, but God will never redefine His definitions.  I agree with Pastor Ralph’s description of the struggle people have with their own personal characteristics, tendencies and preferences that are of the flesh, whether that be related to sex or anything else.  I think God builds some type of weakness into every one of us that is meant to be something that draws us to recognize Him as the only source of power and strength to overcome it and live in freedom of it.  That should humble all of us to be careful about passing personal judgments.

Years ago, I worked with teenagers in my church and invited a young woman who lived in our area to speak at one of our meetings.  I had heard her in an interview on the Focus on the Family radio program speaking about being delivered from homosexuality.  As she told her story to us that night, she didn’t get graphic but related the key to the victory over her sinful sexual relationships.  It was the consistent non-judgmental LOVE that was shown to her by an older Christian couple who invited her into their lives.  It took time, but that investment in her was a living demonstration of their relationship with Christ and eventually drew her heart to Him as the Love of her life.  We’re called to display His compassion, humility, and love, not to react with harsh criticism, proclamations of judgment, or hateful name-calling.  This doesn't mean we're not to be honest about the sin, but no one is introduced to Christ through callous and unforgiving attacks.

Repentance is so important for believers because rebellion against God grieves the Holy Spirit within us, breaks our fellowship with the Father, and sets us on a path leading to the dead-end of loss and grief and utter misery.  As we choose to remain in bondage to sin, we turn our backs on the clean, sanctified new life of Christ within.  We become a negative influence and hindrance to the Body of Christ.  Refusal to repent puts any such person in the position of being that one who forces the church intervention and possible discipline we've been discussing.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Q). What does the scripture teach here about participating in homosexual acts?

A). Scripture teaches that homosexual acts are sinful and those who engage in them shall not inherit the kingdom of God. Even though it's in the scripture, I haven't been personally ordained to carry the message of homosexual sin to my friends and neighbors who are gay. They hear enough of that from other members of my Christian family. I am, however, commanded to show them love by my actions as well as my words. I believe Christian love is a genuine love for others and it can only flow from a heart that is attuned to God's will.

#

Q). What does the scripture teach about heterosexual immorality?

A). Scripture teaches that those engaged in heterosexual immorality shall not inherit the kingdom of God: "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers...Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

#

Q). Why is repentance so important for a believer?

A). Repentance is important for the believer because it means the believer acknowledges and confesses the sin. Repentenance also means a change of heart and willingness to turn away from the sinful behavior. It produces humility and a right attitude toward God. And it frees the believer from the controlling power of the sin. We can't be under the control of sin and God (two masters). 

What does the scripture teach here about participating in homosexual acts?

They will not inherit the Kingdom of God.  By being a participant, the person removes themselves from salvation.

What does the scripture teach about heterosexual immorality?

Anything that is different from what the scriptures teach is wrong.  All sex outside the marriage of a man and a woman is sin.

Why is repentance so important for a believer?

Sin begins in the mind, so repentance (180 degree change) must begin with the mind (spiritual heart). 

Q2. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10) 

What does the scripture teach about heterosexual immorality? 

I believe that God’s Word is the absolute truth and I know that homosexuality is condemned throughout Scripture; both in the Old Testament and the New Testament. So as I cannot approve of it – it is sinful, and no ways can it be justified as in our so called modern society. I feel sorry for those that practice it, especially those men that are very effeminate. The same applies for any sex outside of marriage. Looks like we are going back to the sinful state that was in Corinth. Since we are new creations (2 Cor 5:17) we should all hate sin. As a believer, we may trip up now and then but the sin should become so offensive to us that I doubt whether we will do it again. There will be true repentance and sorrow for having been unfaithful to our Heavenly Father. 

Participating in homosexual acts according to scripture is sin.

Heterosexual immorality is sin.

Repentance is important as a believer because it shows we are in agreement with what the Bible says about these sins and that we are going to turn away from these practices and live according to what God decrees is right and pure living. Both homosexual/lesbian tendencies and sexual immorality before marriage or after marriage is sin. Anyone who willingly engages in any of these is sinning against God and His standard. We can repent and turn from these sins and live righteous lives if we are willing.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10) What does the scripture teach here about participating in homosexual acts? What does the scripture teach about heterosexual immorality? Why is repentance so important for a believer?

Anticipating in homosexual activity and heterosexual immorality are considered a sinful act in scripture.

The individuals should pray for strength and forgiveness and repent from their sexual preference behavior. As with all sinners who come to Christ for help and forgiveness there should be true repentance. The Lord is just, merciful and full of loving kindness, able to forgive all who come to Him.     

Q2. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10) What does the scripture teach here about participating in homosexual acts? What does the scripture teach about heterosexual immorality? Why is repentance so important for a believer? 

Question 6.2

The scripture here that Paul has written is dealing with here is to chastise the Corinthians for taking each other to court .  Paul in his list of sexual immorality is only using the standard Jewish condemnation of sexual conduct.  The list is actually an illustration of what the Corinthians were prior to their coming into Christ.  But in them because of Christ there has been a life changing event, they were washed, sanctified and justified in the name of Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of God. (VII) In light of this transformation they need to stop acting like idiots by taking their property disputes to court where the powerful have such an advantage over the weak. (Hayes P.97) This is the important aspect of the section , anything else is a secondary issue.  We need than  harken unto Paul and gather together in Christ to ensure that the weak in society are supported and given life in Christ.
Further Aquinas speaks to this topic.  Thomas suggests that sex for humans must meet three essential criteria (1) procreation, bringing the coupe closer together and pleasure.  Unprotected sex between a married couple meets all these requirements.  Homosexual sex does not meet the procreation criteria.  Than neither does martial sex between man and woman when the couple is practicing birth control.  Masturbation is even worse , it only satisfies the pleasure aspect of sexual relations.  So if one has masturbation than that one has sinned twice as badly as a homosexual.  But God still loves the masturbator and he also loves the homosexual and offers his grace of a loving eternal relation with him.   Praise the Lord.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10) What does the scripture teach here about participating in homosexual acts?

The Scripture clearly teaches that it's wrong to engage in homosexual acts.

We are to be faithful to our spouses.

Repentance opens the door to God's forgiveness. Repentance involves acknowledging our sin and being sorry for committing that sin.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10) What does the scripture teach here about participating in homosexual acts?

It is unrighteous, Immoral, and impure...sin, (it is not a normal condition one is born with, or it would not be rebuked as sinfulness)

It is unrighteous, immoral, and impure....sin.

Repentance is "changing ones mind"....so when one chooses Jesus over a former life of any sinfulness we are "washed clean, purified by a complete atonement for sin and made free from the guilt of sin, consecrated, set apart, hallowed, justified (just as if we'd never sinned), in the Name of Jesus and in the Holy Spirit of our God!" v.10

What does the scripture teach about participating in homosexual acts?

"Do you not know"and "Do not be deceived" as Paul said; homosexual offenders will not inherit the kingdom of God.

The same as the homosexual.

It allows the repentant sinner to be once again be in a state of "washed","sanctified", and 'justified'.

It re-establishes a right relationship with God.

Participating in homosexual acts is sinful.  Any type of heterosexual sexuality outside the Biblical teaching is sinful.  Repentance is important in order to maintain a relationship with God and fellowship with the Holy Spirit.  Both being the same.

Participating in homosexual acts by a Christian is a sin, period.

Heterosexual immorality is also a sin punishable by God.

Repentance for any sin is important because unrepentant sinners will not enter the kingdom of God. 

• 1 month later...

The attraction is not the problem but the actual act, according to Paul, "is" sinful as well as heterosexual immorality.  Repentance is crucial for all but especially the believer in order to maintain the correct relationship with the LORD.  We cannot have that close relationship with Him with unrepentant sin in the picture as nothing can be hidden from the LORD and therefore needs to be confessed through repentance and forgiven in the LORD.

1.  The scriptures teach that participating in homosexual acts is sinful and you cannot share in the Kingdom of God.

2.  The scripture teach the same for heterosexual as homosexual, it is sinful.

3.  Repentance is important for a believer because it is the only way to have salvation.  We are turning away from sin and surrendering our lives to God.

• 11 months later...

Scripture seems very clear that any sexual activities outside the marriage of a man and woman is a sin. A person must repent of these sins and ask God for help not to commit them again. It might mean that we have to ask for help when the temptation becomes too much for us. We will need to proactively change our activities and interactions with people so that we do not fall into this sin again.

• 6 years later...

(1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

It is sin. It is corrupting the natural that God made for the created creatures to enjoy, and making something unnatural out of it. Almost saying to God that what He had ordained was not good, the created being knows better, and then homosexual acts are participated in.

It is sin. it is violation of God's will and purpose.

Sin is doing or committing something that is against the will of God.  To restore that fact we need to confess it. Repent from that kind of lifestyle and come back to living as God intended us to live. So we can see from that, that it is very important for a believer to live a life pleasing to God. 

• 1 year later...

The bible clearly teaches that homosexual acts -- and other acts such as anger, stealing, adultery, etc. -- are wrong. 

The bible also teaches, however, that the mental processes that lead to these acts are wrong. Every sinful act was preceded by thinking of that sin. If good and honorable deeds are done, that person must have had good and honorable thoughts. If, however, sinful and dishonorable deeds are done, that person must have had sinful and dishonorable thoughts.

We do not say to a thief that it's okay to think about stealing as long as you don't pilfer. Similarly, we should not excuse homosexual thoughts that are not acted on as "innate" or "natural." Those thoughts alone are sin. THINKING about behaving in a sinful way without actually doing is still sin. 

L.u.s.t., for example, is thinking without acting. It is sin. A big part of the process of sanctification is the purification of thought processes that have never been acted upon but are still latent within us.

For me, it's anger. When I don't behave in an angry manner but am still, within, seething with anger, I have sinned. God looks at my heart as well as my words/deeds. He judges me on the purity of my interior life. There is no mind-body gap, as if my mind can be impure while my deeds pure.  

Right now, I happen to be extremely angry about something that was recently done to me. I know that my response -- anger -- is wrong. I have confessed and have asked forgiveness for my thoughts of retribution, even vengeance. But outwardly, I'm pure. I have done nothing. Said nothing. No one would suspect anger. 

My unexpressed anger is sin. 

Remember Descartes:  "I think therefore I am." Though most of Cartesian philosophy is a bit off, on this point he was right: paraphrased it means We are what we think.

True, we must show love and tenderness toward all Christians all the time.  All of us are all on the road to sanctification, after all. We don't need to cave to the dominant culture's ways of thinking. We are to be salt and light in darkened and tasteless culture. This starts within.

Why is repentance important, Pastor Ralph asks? Because we all have impure thoughts and deeds. Every thought or deed that is impure  must be brought to the foot of the cross, exposed, lamented and then given to Jesus for His forgiveness.