JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

Paul made it clear here that there is only one God, who is Yahweh.  But there is a realm of evil spirits, Lucifer and the angels who were cast out of heaven because of their evil rebellion against Yahweh.   These are demons who follow satan’s leading and are engaged in his mission to steal, kill, and destroy through lies, deceptions, and ruin.  Participation in false idols and false religious practices is an identification and connection with their ungodly dominion.  Any person who compromises with demons and things that are identified with them (like people who worship them or sacrifices made to the idols that represent them) has opened a door of association with ungodliness that is offensive to God, cannot be in unity with the holiness of God, breaks fellowship with Him, and stifles the voice of the grieving Spirit.  You cannot unite wickedness and moral perfection (holiness), or mix light and darkness.  It’s one or the other – but not both.

A believer who toys with such compromise, refuses self-assessment, and ignores discernment is in grave frightful danger of almost certainly falling prey to spiritual impurity and being taken captive by perversion of truth.  In stepping out of God's will, the bare minimum will be broken fellowship with God.  And that person becomes a testimony of double-mindedness and compromise that can lead others astray into doubt, confusion, and possible devastation, whether that be nonbelievers or young weaker believers. God will not sit by silently to allow one of His children to remain in such a state and exert such negative influence, which almost certainly means this person has essentially issued an invitation for His chastisement.  (1Cor. 11:31-32) What a fearful place to be.

• 2 weeks later...

The beings behind idols are not real gods, according to 1 Corinthians 8:4.  What kind of beings does this passage say they are?

They are demons, trying to turn a person away from the true God.

What then is the spiritual danger to us of participating in idol worship (or the occult, for that matter)?

A person cannot serve two masters.  If we are of Jesus Christ, we cannot worship demons.  If we worship demons, then we cannot worship God.

1 Corinthians 10:19-21
Q). The beings behind idols are not real gods, according to 1 Corinthians 8:4. What kind of beings does this passage say they are?
A). "...we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one." (1 Corinthians 8:4)
#
Q). What then is the spiritual danger to us of participating in idol worship (or the occult, for that matter)?
A). "But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils. 21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils." (1 Corinthians 10:20-21)

Q5. (1 Corinthians 10:19-21) The beings behind idols are not real gods, according to 1 Corinthians 8:4. What kind of beings does this passage say they are?

Paul says they are demons...evil spiritual powers, diabolical spirits.

What then is the spiritual danger to us of participating in idol worship (or the occult, for that matter)?

Participating in their food and drinking from their cup is tantamount to fellowshipping with demons and partnering with those who hate God and are opposed to Him and to those who belong to Him. This disloyalty is an affront to God, and encouragement to the demons, who must see this as the participant opening up to their realm and influence...a victory for them and an insult to God. We are told to flee from danger of any kind of captivity or bondage from occultism or new age practices.

Q5. (1 Corinthians 10:19-21) 

The beings behind idols are not real gods, according to 1 Corinthians 8:4. 

What kind of beings does this passage say they are? 

The idol itself has no power but there is a link between idol worship and demons. The demons use the idols to control the heart and minds of those who worship them. We know from 2 Corinthians 5:17 that “if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” This does unfortunately not mean that old habits, and evil thoughts have disappeared. However, believers are indwelt by the Holy Spirit as we have read earlier in 1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19, and the Holy Spirit will not allow a demon to possess the same person He is indwelling. So, true believers cannot be demon possessed, but there is a possibility of being oppressed or influenced by a demon. So we would not want to endanger our spiritual walk by contaminating it by drinking the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons – in no way can we partake of the Lord’s Table and also of the table of demons. We cannot have it both ways! It would be a show of disloyalty to our Lord and Saviour Jesus. The same as admitting our loyalty to Jesus and then at the same time have fellowship with those who sacrifice to idols. 

According to 1 Corinthians 8:4 An idol is nothing at all in the world and there is no God but one. He continues to say though, that there are indeed many gods and many lords, referring to those gods and lords in satan's realm.

The spiritual danger to us in taking part in any kind of idol worship or participating in any occult practices is spiritual compromise. We can open a door to darkness and deception when we cross those lines. We can become contaminated and slip into darkness and oppression. We, who are God's children live in His light. We should have absolutely no part in darkness. Why would we WANT to? Satan is very real and he is waiting to get his foot in any door. We do very well to shut our door tight and not even peek out when he comes knocking! I took part in some dark stuff as a young adult and I can testify to the fact that it can lead to demonic oppression. Even seemingly harmless things like horoscopes and fortune telling can all be tied to demonic activity. I did denounce all those things from my former life and the freedom was amazing! I'm very careful to stay in God's good and wholesome light now. SO much better!!!

Q5. (1 Corinthians 10:19-21) The beings behind idols are not real gods, according to 1 Corinthians 8:4. What kind of beings does this passage say they are?

They are demons, whose goal is for us to disobey God, they influence people to do evil in the sight of the LORD, and they are rebellious demons who serve the Adversary, Satan.

God's laws "WARN" us to abstain from things polluted by idols, the reason being - it violates our union, our “PARTNERSHIP” with the Messiah, the danger lies not in the "idol" itself - the danger lies in the demonic force unknown behind the idol, who desire to have our worship. We must choose today whom we will serve.

Q5. (1 Corinthians 10:19-21) The beings behind idols are not real gods, according to 1 Corinthians 8:4. What kind of beings does this passage say they are? What then is the spiritual danger to us of participating in idol worship (or the occult, for that matter)?

In 1 Corinthians 10:19-21 the beings behind the idols are unholy demonic forces. By participating in these rituals we become spiritually contaminated, spiritually compromised. We are not to take part in these spiritual things, instead we are to renounce such activities in the name of Jesus, stay away from them, occult's, boards etc.

Demons.

Who are we connecting ourselves with?  Taking part in either case implies complete participation.

To use other occultic practices or unholy actions, opens the door for Satan to come in.  Who are we connected to & participating with?

Behind the idols are demons, according to Paul.

The spiritual danger is that we can unwittingly be drawn away from the Lord. In the case of the CorinthIans the idols were wooden, even these could cause the danger of being drawn in to the temptations presented by idol worship.

Today the danger is different but it is even more real and dangerous. Our idols today are the ' things' of the world. Moden culture presents a style of life where 'me' is all important the 'me' has become our idol. We are addicted to fun. we are not interested in service or suffering-we must have fun. We worship fun and in the process we neglect his call. The result is massive losses in church attendance and massive lowering of ethical standards. North America and Europe may need may neef to look to the southern hemisphere for revival of our faith.

The beings behind idols are demonic spirits that are trying to mentally and physically turn you against the one true God. You will become spiritually contaminated if you involved yourself with such worship. Just the smallest part of participation is a danger to your Christianity.

The beings behind idols are not real gods, according to 1 Corinthians 8:4. What kind of beings does this passage say they are?

Demonic spirits.

What then is the spiritual danger to us of participating in idol worship ( or the occult, for that matter )?

" You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons" verse 21

The danger is that we would become spiritually weak succumbing to the wiles of satan and his forces.

In this passage, I Cor. 10:19-22, Paul is saying that the food offered to these idols are not real gods but demons.  So while self-professing Christians are eating meat offered as sacrifices to idols may not brother them they are still participating in offerings made to demons.  So they are participating with demons.  That is sin and an affront to God.

Idol worship is demon worship and alienates a person from God.

• 3 weeks later...

Q5. (1 Corinthians 10:19-21) The beings behind idols are not real gods, according to 1 Corinthians 8:4. What kind of beings does this passage say they are? What then is the spiritual danger to us of participating in idol worship (or the occult, for that matter)?

Paul says idols are not real gods but that they have demonic attachment or influenc. Thus participating in demonic rituals makes such participants contaminated by demonic power and thus makes them unfit to also participate in the Holy communion of the Lord.

• 1 month later...

Not only are these idols but Paul calls them rightfully "demons" and the activity "participating with demons".

True koinonia cannot be fully experienced with "not-of-God" idols or demons for that is  not God-sanctioned or with God Himself. The spiritual danger of practicing in this manner are things such as "spiritually contaminated, spiritually compromised, pagan practices and just plain idol worship".  This idol-type worship or practice will reduce the exercise to  "not-of-God" and therefore would certainly enlargen the separation between the individual and Almighty God..

I agree with Dr. Wilson to "renounce all such activity in the name of Jesus."

• 1 month later...

The beings behind idols are not real gods, according to 1 Corinthians 8:4. What kind of beings does this passage say they are?

1.  Demons

2.  You will be spiritually contaminated, spiritually compromised.

• 10 months later...

This passage seems to suggest that idols represent demonic entities. It also suggests that if we participate in anything like this we are prone to have spiritual contamination within ourselves.

• 6 years later...

Q5. (1 Corinthians 10:19-21)

The beings behind idols are not real gods, according to 1 Corinthians 8:4.

What kind of beings does this passage say they are?

Idols are man-made items that have no power, but but but, there are demons behind idols. The spiritual danger of us participating in idol worship or the occult, is that we are actually showing that we are one with them. We are united with them. We are agreeing with them.

• 1 year later...

The topic of idols is very important to me because I exist on the edge of secularism and Christianity: I am a thoroughly committed Christian surrounded by secularists.

Paul's insistence that idols have no power is correct but only superficially. Idols, more so than other objects, can be conduits for evil. Let me explain. I used to have a large collection of ancient Hindu statues as well as some larger Inuit (Alaskan Indian) statues. As art, I appreciated these objects. Loved them, even. But ... as I grew closer to the Lord, those objects began to bother me. I can't explain it, but slowly got rid of them. As I did, I felt lighter. Just a couple weeks ago, I found a couple metal sculptures in the garage which were to my spiritual eyes ... obscene. I'm going to get rid of them, too.

Now, intellectually I know that a piece of art is "neutral", but my soul ... my spirit ... sometimes says otherwise. Some art is not necessarily idol worship but it can pull down the spirit.

Modern art seems disordered, perhaps the product of mental illness or borderline evil/demonic thinking. Ditto with architecture, which I also love. If you look at "art brut" or brutalist concrete forms in worship settings, it just "feels" like something is missing or oppressive ... it's cold and just wrong. Here's a URL that may explain what I mean: https://www.archdaily.com/952055/europes-brutalist-churches-and-chapels-by-stefano-perego.  Do you find these buildings spiritually uplifting? Would you want to worship there? They seem, to me, to be a product of late-stage Protestantism, that is, a form of liberal Protestantism that's sliding out of faith, not into it. (Never hire a non-believing architect to design your church.)

One more thing. Art installations in public places often spread a strange perversion. Most ephemeral, participatory art, and art that is on a stage with an actor literally turns my stomach. I no longer have anything to do with the art world.

(I still love concrete, glass, steel and wood-less homes.)

Strangely, I feel the same about music. I used to listen to rock music when driving but no longer do this. I find it causes my mind to travel down paths of memory or sad thoughts. It sucks up time that could be spent in prayer. So now, I live in total silence. No Christian music. No classical music. No sound at all. Just silence. Like a monk.

I am pulling away from so many of the things of the world that used to give me pleasure. Though my life is empty now, it's being re-filled with thoughts of God and prayers to Him. I pray to be satisfied with a scraped raw life, a monastic-like life of study and prayer. I feel I need more.

Sorry for writing so much!