JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Compelled to Preach

• 2 months later...

Paul made it clear that he had a divine directive that he couldn’t ignore or refuse.  That commission came directly from Christ, who said that “[Paul] is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel” (Acts 9:15).  Paul knew he had been changed by Christ and now belonged completely to Him, so this specific commission to preach the gospel became his whole life’s purpose.  And he had no choice but to follow wherever His Master led.  He would not disobey this undeniable Word from heaven.

The call on individual lives is not always going to be identical to that of Paul because life circumstances, needs, and purposes are different for each person.  He already described the responsibility church congregations have to provide for the practical needs of their pastoral leadership.  So there is nothing wrong with full-time Christian workers accepting the support that enables them to fulfill God’s call to preach and teach as their “vocation”.  But Jesus did indicate that those who choose to give of themselves without public display in order to serve Him (which would include accepting salary) will be rewarded by the Father (Matt.6:4,6,18).  That does seem to imply a unique recognition and favor in heaven.  It seems that pastors who are salaried for full-time service bear an additional obligation to guard against a mindset/attitude of “working for the money” instead of for the Master and His message, because then the salary itself will become the reward.  Paul chose “not to make full use of my right in the gospel” and thus preach the gospel free of charge for three reasons: 1) to avoid any perceived ulterior motive that would become an obstacle to the gospel of Christ, 2) to magnify God’s goodness/faithfulness as the only thing worth bragging about, and 3) to be a faithful steward who would be rewarded by the Father.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 9:15-18) Why doesn't Paul have a personal choice about preaching?

I believe Paul had a personal choice to preach or not to preach, except for one thing, there was an obstacle in his way, it was his heart, his heart’s desire was calling him to preach the "Good News" to all who had ears to hear, and the drawing of the Holy Spirit was so strong that his heart understood, "woe, what a miserable man he would be if he did not follow the calling of God."

It is an amazing thing to be touched by the Lord, and to feel the drawing of the Holy Spirit upon one’s life, that is why Paul's choice was to "PREACH THE WORD"

Will volunteer and bi-vocational Christian workers receive a greater reward in heaven than those who are paid here on earth?

No, there will be a reward for all those who are faithful and true to their calling.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 9:15-18) Why doesn’t Paul have a personal choice about preaching?

PAUL WAS ENTRUSTED WITH A SACRED TRUSTEESHIP AND COMMISSION TO PREACH THE GOSPEL. (V17) THE ROAD TO DAMASCUS EXPERIENCE TURNED HIS LIFE UPSIDE DOWN (RIGHT SIDE UP!) AND HE WAS CHANGED FOREVER....FROM ZEAL FOR THE LAW TO DESTROY CHRISTIANITY TO ZEAL FOR THE GOSPEL OF GRACE AND FREEDOM FROM THE LAW TO ALL WHO WOULD LISTEN.

Will volunteer and bi-vocational Christian workers receive a greater reward in heaven than those who are paid here on earth?

EVEN THOUGH PAUL SAID THAT PAY MAY BE A REWARD, I BELIEVE THE REWARDS IN HEAVEN ARE BESTOWED UPON THOSE ACTS WHICH WERE ACCOMPLISHED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT (WITH OUR PERMISSION AND FUNCTIONING) THROUGH THE INDIVIDUAL.

If so, why? If not, why not?

WE ARE COUNSELED THROUGHOUT THE NEW TESTAMENT, ESPECIALLY IN THE BOOK OF ROMANS AND HEBREWS,  TO LEAVE THE WORKS OF THE FLESH AND TO YIELD TO THE HOLY SPIRIT IN ALL THINGS...EVEN TO THE GIVING OF A CUP OF COLD WATER IN JESUS' NAME WHICH WILL RECEIVE A REWARD. THERE IS NO MENTION  OF WHETHER ONE WAS  RECEIVING FINANCIAL SUPPORT OR NOT IN THE MATTER. JESUS EVEN MENTIONED THE "ONE WHO SAID NO, I WILL NOT GO, BUT THEN CHANGES HIS MIND AND GOES, DOES THE FATHER'S WILL....RELUCTANT OBEDIENCE IS STILL OBEDIENCE IF THE FATHER'S WILL IS ACCOMPLISHED.....SALARIED OR NOT.

He knew that was his calling from God--first & foremost.

God rewards us according to His will.  Doing one thing or another doesn't matter.  Just do what the Lord has led you to do and be faithful.

1 Corinthians 9:15-18
Q). Why doesn't Paul have a personal choice about preaching?
A). Paul preaches because he has to, as matter of simple obedience. "For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!" (1 Corinthians9:16)
#
Q). Will volunteer and bi-vocational Christian workers receive a greater reward in heaven than those who are paid here on earth? If so, why? If not, why not?
A). To follow Paul's logic, to receive support for his labors from the church, he would have already received his reward. But to work "voluntarily," he will receive a special reward from his heavenly Father. "For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me." (1 Corinthians 9:17)

Why doesn't Paul have a personal choice about preaching? IT IS HIS ASSIGNMENT AND HE IS COMPELLED TO DO IT.

IT IS IMPLIED YES, I SAY NO.

If so, why?  THEY DID WHAT WAS REQUIRED.

If not, why not?  SAME ANSWER.

Corinthians 9:15-18) Why doesn’t Paul have a personal choice about preaching? Will volunteer and bi-vocational Christian workers receive a greater reward in heaven than those who are paid here on earth? If so, why? If not, why not?

Paul does not have a personal choice because Jesus the Lord appeared to him in a vision on the Damascus road calling him to preach the gospel to all people. Paul is also a person with conviction in what ever he does. Before his experience on the Damascus road he was driven to persecute Christians but upon his conversion all his energy was transferred to preaching. Like Luther he was convicted of the gospel message and was forced by this conviction to preach. Paul is entrusted by Christ with the responsibility of preaching the gospel to all people. He regards preaching as an opportunity for service (Barclay, corinthians , 91).

As well Paul sees preaching as a duty. To Paul preaching was important to him as breathing. He had been chosen and he had no choice. The responsibility fell on his shoulders. Paul would say "What can I do but tell the people about the good news of Christ. "

Will not both go to Heaven? Are there two classes of Heaven bound folk? Matthew 25.14 to 3o suggesrs that all who are heaven bound will be put in charge of many things.

Paul made it clear that he had a divine directive that he couldn’t ignore or refuse.  That commission came directly from Christ, who said that “[Paul] is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel” (Acts 9:15).  Paul knew he had been changed by Christ and now belonged completely to Him, so this specific commission to preach the gospel became his whole life’s purpose.  And he had no choice but to follow wherever His Master led.  He would not disobey this undeniable Word from heaven.

The call on individual lives is not always going to be identical to that of Paul because life circumstances, needs, and purposes are different for each person.  He already described the responsibility church congregations have to provide for the practical needs of their pastoral leadership.  So there is nothing wrong with full-time Christian workers accepting the support that enables them to fulfill God’s call to preach and teach as their “vocation”.  But Jesus did indicate that those who choose to give of themselves without public display in order to serve Him (which would include accepting salary) will be rewarded by the Father (Matt.6:4,6,18).  That does seem to imply a unique recognition and favor in heaven.  It seems that pastors who are salaried for full-time service bear an additional obligation to guard against a mindset/attitude of “working for the money” instead of for the Master and His message, because then the salary itself will become the reward.  Paul chose “not to make full use of my right in the gospel” and thus preach the gospel free of charge for three reasons: 1) to avoid any perceived ulterior motive that would become an obstacl

e to the gospel of Christ, 2) to magnify God’s goodness/faithfulness as the only thing worth bragging about, and 3) to be a faithful steward who would be rewarded by the Father.

But God sees in each heart and knows our motives and knows the readon we serve. 8s it love or fear?

Q3. (1 Corinthians 9:15-18) 

Why doesn't Paul have a personal choice about preaching? 

If so, why? If not, why not?

Paul refuses to use his right to be supported financially because he does not want anything to hinder him reaching the lost; such as placing a financial burden on his listeners. At the same time he also does not want to lose his reward, in heaven, for preaching the gospel without charge. Yes, there rewards will be greater in heaven because they display a self-sacrificing love for the Lord and others. Being not motivated by money they must truly have the interests of the Lord at heart. However, to receive greater rewards in heaven, the work done here on earth must be done for our Heavenly Father’s approval and not for the people’s. They must guard against the temptation to brag about these deeds, and their work must not be done with the intent of being seen by others. If done for these purposes they will not be rewarded for their hypocrisy. As Jesus told us, their motive should only be for the glory of the Father. 

Paul does not have a personal choice about preaching the Gospel because he has a call on his life. Called directly by God to preach the Gospel, Paul is obedient to God with a fire in his heart and this became his passion. 

Volunteer and bi-vocational workers will have a greater reward in heaven. They will have preached the Gospel giving totally of themselves with no compensation in this life. They preach the Gospel for one reason and one reason only....so many can come to know salvation through Jesus Christ. They have no thoughts of money or personal gain in this life, they merely answer their call and give of their lives. This reminds me of missionary's of old who really did have a call to go to preach Jesus Christ to the ends of the earth. They packed up with few personal possessions and they went to live among the people they desired to reach. Many times they lived in poverty in a foreign land adopting differing life styles all purely for the Gospel of Christ.

When Paul saw Jesus on the road to Damascus, Jesus told him that He was sending him out to preach the gospel.  And then Paul here, says that he is compelled to preach - that he would die if he could not preach.

No, I don't think they will.

If not, why not?

We each are called to different paths of ministry.  Some cannot minister good while working on the side, so they need to be paid to preach and teach.  Those who have the means behind them to not work in a secular job, should do so.  God's reward to us, is in according to what He asks us to do. 

Paul boast about preaching free of charge because he didn't want the Corinthians say he was preaching for material gain and not Christ our Lord. His main focus was on leading people to Christ. If believe those preaching the gospel free of charge will receive their reward in heaven because they are focusing on Christ alone not money or material gains. Obedience to Paul was more important than money.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 9:15-18) Why doesn’t Paul have a personal choice about preaching? Will volunteer and bi-vocational Christian workers receive a greater reward in heaven than those who are paid here on earth? If so, why? If not, why not?

Paul does not have a personal choice about preaching because he is being obedient to his calling to preach the gospel. The Lord has appointed him to preach the good news of the gospel to the Gentiles, his reward will be Heaven.

The volunteer Christian works will be rewarded in Heaven rather than being paid for their work here on earth. Those who are paid are receiving their reward for their work now. 

Paul didn’t have a personal choice about preaching because God had called on him to preach to the Gentiles. I don’t know if volunteers or bi-vocational Christian workers will receive a greater reward in heaven than those who are paid here in earth. The ones that are paid here on earth work very hard for the money that they get. It seems to me that they volunteer a lot of their time to the ministering of the congregation.

Paul was appointed a servant with instructions to preach, Paul was compelled to preach. verse 16

Will volunteer and bi-vocational Christian workers receive a greater reward in heaven than those who are paid here on Earth? If so why? If not, why not?

Those who have given of their time and resources without remuneration will receive a greater reward. Would not the worker be paid twice if this were not so?

1 Corinthians 9:15-18:  According to this passage of scripture Paul doesn't have a choice in regard to preaching the gospel.  God compels him to preach.  Life for him would be terrible if he wasn't preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I believe reward comes with obedience to a calling.  Whether a person is a salaried minister, pastor, etc. or volunteer it doesn't matter.  Answering the call does matter.  God calls men and women into different roles in the gospel ministry.   Some full time vocationally, bi-vocationally, volunteer, etc.  Reward is based on how ministry is carried out not whether or not it was a person's vocation.  A worker is worthy of his wage here on earth.  One has to pay bills, eat, raise a family, etc.  So how does one define reward?  That is up to God in relationship to each person.  I think Christians should concern themselves with carrying out the mission, being joyful, and being a blessing and not being always being consumed with what they are going to get.  I personally get tired of the "getism."

Eternal life with God is a pretty grand, uncomprehensible gift in and of itself.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 9:15-18) Why doesn’t Paul have a personal choice about preaching?

I think we need to realize that Paul was a very special case. God had him earmarked to not only convert the gentiles, but to write most of the New Testament as well. Paul indeed didn't have a choice when it came to preaching. In the same way as Moses had an extraordinary task laid before him, so did Paul.

Will volunteer and bi-vocational Christian workers receive a greater reward in heaven than those who are paid here on earth? If so, why? If not, why not?

Everyone will be rewarded according to what he/she has done with the gifts God gave them. Some will receive great rewards while others will just make it in, with their clothes smelling of fire and smoke!

Q3. (1 Corinthians 9:15-18) Why doesn't Paul have a personal choice about preaching? Will volunteer and bi-vocational Christian workers receive a greater reward in heaven than those who are paid here on earth? If so, why? If not, why not?

Paul had no choice about preaching because he deemed it right and necessary to fulfil the obligation place upon him when he was commissioned by the Lord to preach on his way to Damascus.

All categories of Christian workers will receive a reward in heaven for their service but volunteers and bi-vocational workers will get a special reward. This is because the volunteers and co-vocational workers sacrificed their full rights for the service of God.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (1Corinthians 9.15-18)  Why doesn’t Paul have a personal choice about preaching? Will volunteer and bi-vocational Christian workers receive a greater reward in heaven than those who are paid her on earth?  If so, why?  If not, why not?  http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/1357-q3-compelled-to-preach/

In today’s language, Paul was “called to preach”; however, what Paul stated is that “I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel.”  In other words, Paul responded to that calling and was compelled to obey the will of God for his life. In fact, the Acts scripture supports his call/command by the LORD Jesus to preach the gospel, and told King Agrippa, “I was not disobedient…” He was entrusted with the responsibility and he must do it.

In 9.17:  Paul stated that paid service to the LORD reaps a reward for that faithful service but that those volunteer will reap an even greater reward because that worker is serving Jesus out of the faith and love in their heart.  The bottom line here is that when God calls, we must respond in obedience, and after praying it through to be sure this is the will of God, do whatever is necessary to bring that call into action for the LORD.  Dr. Wilson stated that “You step out and God will guide, provide, and bless others through your obedience”.

• 4 weeks later...

Why doesn’t Paul have a personal choice about preaching?

1.  He is compelled to preach. 

Will volunteer and bi-vocational Christian workers receive a greater reward in heaven than those who are paid here on earth? If so, why? If not, why not?          

2.  Yes.  Because they served Jesus out of love. 

• 10 months later...

Paul made a personal choice to listen to God on the road to Damascus. He could have ignored his calling, but he did not. He turned his life over to God and followed on the path that God wanted him on.

I have a hard time answering the second part of this question. I really do not want to try to guess what God and Jesus will do when we get to heaven. I feel that volunteer and bi-vocational Christian workers do things for the love of it. However, I can not agree that their hearts are in the right place all the time. And why would God not give paid pastors the same rewards in heaven for the same work done here on earth. I find that I have far more questions that answers.

• 6 years later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 9:15-18)

If so, why?

If not, why not?

Preaching to the 'lost' was Paul's calling. He was entrusted with the responsibility of bringing the Gospel to the Gentiles. It was what he was commissioned to do. It was what God equipped/prepared him for. He chose to obey God. (At the first it was not his choice because he first persecuted the followers of Christ.) 

Wherever we work we are all to live Christ and whatever we do we are to do it as unto the Lord. Yes, with work, generally you do get paid for it.  Just so when a congregation calls a preacher, they generally are responsible for paying him for the work. Therefore both for what is termed secular work as well as in the ministry a reward is received, i.e. a salary. If then a volunteer worker, be it in the secular field (I am referring to the one who is doing it all as unto the Lord) or in full time ministry, without remuneration, a reward is due. This reward I believe is what Jesus spoke about in Mt 6:1-4. You will be rewarded by God.

So be it on earth or in heaven somewhere a reward will be given for the work that is done for the Lord.

He, the Lord God, owes no man anything or is in debt to no man.  He is a more than a just God. 

• 1 year later...

Perhaps I’m wrong about this, but it appears that the connection between labour/calling and money/provision has been broken in the Bible. Our work and our payment for that work are separate categories which do not overlap.

Yes, we are to labour. Obediently. Just obey Him and do what He puts in front of us to do. Blindly obey and work.

Our provision is an entirely different matter for God provides. He knows our needs and provides them. He provides as long as we are obedient, not as payment for labour. God doesn't give us more if we work harder, or less if we work in more humble occupations. We are mere stewards. So whatever God gives us is utterly disconnected from what we do, our labour.

Paul's calling is to preach. That's his labour. He doesn't have a choice as to his calling for God decides each of our destinies. Of course, we can choose to not obey His call, to reject His best plans for our life. The point is we all have a path on which we are supposed to trod and this is our calling and for this we must labour.

If God’s calling on our lives does NOT include being paid for that particular work, then obeying His calling means it is sinful to expect money from others. Many Christians, and some Christian leaders, work without a mission or church board paying them because they trust God to provide. However, if our calling includes being paid for our work, then rejecting the money offered us would be rejecting God’s provision. 

The key is obedience to the calling. Always.

Paul’s calling happened to be unpaid. It could be the case that God expects more spiritually mature people to rely solely on Him. Again, I think of George Mueller's orphanages and how he prayed for God to provide. He never expected money or took a salary, though -- often reluctantly -- he took gifts when offered. 

It's not only (some) leaders who are called to work without pay. Many Christians who do not have leadership roles in the church willingly work in secular occupations without expecting to be paid. They give their labour when God asks them to, expecting God to honour their obedience and supply their needs.