JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 months later...

1Corinthians 12:11 identifies 5 lessons about the role of the Spirit in spiritual gifts.

1. The Holy Spirit of God is the only source of all spiritual gifts and the power to activate/employ them.  We’re created with the personalities and raw natural talents that complement the spiritual gifts God intends for each of us, but there is nothing of ourselves that can generate, manifest, or utilize those gifts for spiritual purposes.

2. All spiritual gifts are distributed by the Spirit.  He allocates them according to His intentions for each individual and the needs of the Body of Christ.

3. All are chosen for and allotted to believers by the Spirit.  He determines what is assigned to whom, and when.  Spiritual gifts and their combinations may vary during our lifetimes.

4. Every individual believer receives a minimum of one gifting from the Spirit.  No one is left out!

5. Every gifting is given by the Spirit according to the Father’s will and plan for the life and purpose of each believer.  Gifts of the Spirit aren’t given to enhance human will, plans, purposes, or desires.

What are several lessons that we learn from verse 11? What is the role of the Holy Spirit in spiritual gifts?

1. The Spirit has gifts specially suited to the way He has "wired" you. They are tailored to you. That doesn't mean you are now fully ready to minister them with power, but as you yield yourself to God you will be.
  2. The Holy Spirit distributes the gifts according to his own will and plan. You don't get to decide your destiny. God does. The verb is boulomai, "to plan on a course of action, intend, plan, will." 
  3. The "4 Spiritual Laws" is true; God does have "a wonderful plan for your life" -- and it includes spiritual gifts. Without learning to use well the spiritual gifts God has for you, your life and future will be stunted, unfulfilled.

1.The Holy Spirit empowers the gifts

It is the Holy Spirit that gives the gifts of the Spirit. We have no say in the matter. We may pray for gifts. We may also pray for discernment to find if we have a gift or maybe more. And if we find a gift than we must apply it diligently and carefully within the guidelines that Paul lays out for the misuse4 of a gift does more harm that the good that it does.

These don't operate according to our energy or power, but God's. Sometimes gifted people can begin to take gifts for granted, and get a feeling of entitlement. But God empowers the gifts; humans only employ them by faith

2.  The Holy Spirit distributes the gifts

God's purpose with the gifts is to have a healthy, balanced, powerful Church that is a place of healing and equipping to do Christ's work. It is not for a few people to build up their pride and reputation. It is all  the gifts of the church that gives the church power. This requires a wide variety of gifts, not just a couple of popular, crowd-awing gifts.  All of our gifts are important.

3. The Holy Spirit gives at least one gift to every person.

We all have a gift we need only search for it , pray to discern it and not be afraid of the gift when we find it.

4.The Holy Spirit distributes the gifts individually.

The Spirit has gifts specially suited to the way  we are made.  They  are tailored to us. That doesn't mean we are immediately ready ready to administer them with power, but as we yield self to God we will be better able to control and use the gifts.

5.  The Holy Spirit distributes the gifts according to his own will and plan

We don't get to decide our own destiny. God does.  God does have "a wonderful plan for our life" -- and it includes spiritual gifts. It is important for both us and the church that we learn to use well the spiritual gifts God has given us to build up our own spiritual character and to help the church grow and develop into the institution that God intends both us and the church to be. We must think of the gifts as being given to us individually but the gifts are given for the benefit of the church.

What are several lessons we learn from verse 11?

1.  The Holy Spirit gives the power of the gift to the individual.

2.  The Holy Spirit distributes the gifts according to His will for the work of ministry.

3.  Each person in the congregation receives a Spiritual Gift.

4.   The Holy Spirit  gives each Gift as tailored for each individual ability.

5.  The Holy Spirit gives the Spiritual Gift and it, the Gift is not purchased by the individual.

What is the role of the Holy Spirit in Spiritual Gifts?

There would be no gifts, if the Holy Spirit was not giving them out.  Each Gift is worked by the Holy Spirit in the individuals life. 

The Holy Spirit gives these gifts to whoever He wants.

Everyone has a spiritual gift in the congregation.

It is not a means for pride--for selfishly building up of yourself.  We need to be fully yielded to God. 

Gifts are tailor-made for each individual and empowered by the Holy Spirit.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 12:11) What are several lessons that we learn from verse 11?

The lesson in this verse is that the Holy spirit apportions the gifts to each of us individually exactly as He chooses! (Amplified)He created us, knows which gifts will be best suited for us and as a result, which gifts will bring honor and glory to Jesus as they are exhibited through each believer's particular personality. All gifts are equal in value...one gift is not of "higher or greater" value than another...we are not to compare, as James and John did as to "who is greater". We are told that to compare ourselves with one another is "foolishness". (II Cor 10:12)

I learned this lesson early on, when I admired the hours intercessors spent in prayer, and the amazing and visible things which servers accomplished through their gifts, while it seemed that all I ever did was encourage someone or share Christ with another, and because that was effortless for me, it seemed to not be a "gift" at all...the Lord spoke these words to me...they leapt right off the page of the Bible, that I was being foolish to compare my gift with others. (someone told me at another time that all they ever did "was mundane serving" and wish they could share Christ as effortlessly as I did. So apparently we all may be prone to thinking that our gift has less value than another's.)

What is the role of the Holy Spirit in spiritual gifts?

He "inspires and brings them to pass" (amplified). They are accomplished through His leading, power, wisdom, timing, love...and directed toward the one who is in need of a particular gift at a particular time. We are just the conduit...and must not take His glory through pridefulness....nor quench the Holy Spirit through refusing to be used to administer His gifts.

1 Corinthians 12:11

Q). What are several lessons that we learn from verse 11?

A). The Holy Spirit distributes the gifts to each one individually. The Holy Spirit distributes the gifts according to his own will and plan. I don't get to decide my destiny. God does. I can minister the gifts with power as I yield myself to God.

#

Q). What is the role of the Holy Spirit in spiritual gifts?

A). The Holy Spirit empowers the gifts. Humans only employ them by faith.

"...Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the Lord of hosts." (Zechariah 4:6)

Q4. (1 Corinthians 12:11) 

What are several lessons that we learn from verse 11? 

All spiritual gifts are produced and controlled by the Holy Spirit. We learn that each believer receives at least one gift, tailor-made, as He wills. There is a wide spread of gifts so that each congregation will be a balanced and powerful church. We should remember that His choice of gifts is always perfect, so there should be no discontent on our part because of any gift we did not receive. We read in 1 Peter 4:10, “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.” We should also note that these spiritual gifts are not to be used for selfish gain but for His glory and for the good of others. 

Chapter 11 teaches us that:

The Holy Spirit empowers all gifts.

The Holy Spirit distributes all gifts.

The Holy Spirit gives at least one gift to every person.

The Holy Spirit gives gifts according to His purposes and plans.

Our gifts are not to be used for pride, entitlement or for power. God empowers them, we employ them by faith.

Gifts are distributed for the purpose of a healthy balanced church that is equipped to do God's work. This shows through in a wide variety of gifts not just in popular crowd awing gifts.

Every Christian is given a gift to be a vital part of the church.

We don't decide our destiny. God does. We learn to use the gifts He gives us in humbleness so that His will is accomplished.

The role the Holy Spirit has is to empower our gifts. It is only His power that brings fruit to our gifts. In and of ourselves we can do nothing.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 12:11) What are several lessons that we learn from verse 11, and what is the role of the Holy Spirit in spiritual gifts? 

The Holy Spirit distributes gifts as he so desires and in his timing,  it is important  we never take for granted His gifts or allow "Self Boasting" to take hold, it is important that our hearts remember, the purpose of the body of Christ and the gifts of the Holy Spirit are to serve the Head, Christ, as we remember, the gifts and graces given to the body have been freely given of God to us, through the Holy Spirit, the most important lesson for me is --  that I yield myself to the Spirit.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 12:11) What are several lessons that we learn from verse 11? What is the role of the Holy Spirit in spiritual gifts?

The lessons we learn from verse 11 is that we believers all receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit. These gifts can very from individual to individual, each person receiving that gift best suits the person and the Spirit.

The role of the Spiritual gifts granted to us should be used to build up the Church. The Holy Spirit has a plan for each of us that will edify the church to bring it into unity as the body of our Lord Jesus Christ.  

Q4. (1 Corinthians 12:11) What are several lessons that we learn from verse 11? What is the role of the Holy Spirit in spiritual gifts?

All the different gifts are from one spirit, the Holy Spirit;

the same Holy Spirit gives each person a type of gift which could be different from the one he gives the other person and also, it means that each Christian has at least one gift; He - the Holy spirit determines when to give and what type of gift to give. 

What are the several lessons that we learn from verse 11? What is the role of the Holy Spirit in spiritual gifts?

That the Holy Spirit empowers,shares out gifts, at least one gift to all, and those gifts are given to further God's will.

The development of that gift is governed by the level of submission to the Holy Spiirit

• 1 month later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/1367-q4-lessons-on-gifts/

First, the role of the Holy Spirit with respect to spiritual gifts is that He empowers, distributes and gives these gifts to individuals at a minimum of one per person but at times a person may be the recipient of more than one.  But each person is anointed with at least one.

The lessons as related in our notes on spiritual gifts (the bold highlights are mine) are:

1. The Holy Spirit empowers/produces the spiritual gifts in people but they can only become effective if the people employ them through their faith.
  2. The Holy Spirit distributes the gifts and this is done so that there some type of balance over Christendom.
  3. The Holy Spirit gives at least one gift to every person.
  4. The Holy Spirit distributes the gifts individually; however, the recipient must yield themselves to God to be equipped to minister to others with the gift(s).
  5. The Holy Spirit distributes the gifts according to His own will and plan.

• 1 month later...

What are several lessons that we learn from verse 11? What is the role of the Holy Spirit in spiritual gifts?          

• We learn that the Holy Spirit give us gifts and power
  • The Holy Spirit decides which gift we should have 
  • The Holy Spirit gives each of us at least one gift
  • The gifts are given individually
  • Gifts are given by Holy Spirit according to his own will and plan

• 11 months later...

The Holy Spirit gives power to the gifts, distributes the gifts, and gives the gifts according to his will and the will of the Father. We are not able to control the gifts that we are given. That decision is God's alone. We need to use the gifts we are given to their and our fullest potential. Every person has a spiritual gift.

• 6 years later...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 12:11)

What are several lessons that we learn from verse 11? 

We find that in the distributing and the operating of the gifts it is all from God. Every gift is spiritual and directed for "service".  The spiritual gifts are all directed to the common good of the community.

{The supreme example is the self-sacrificing Lord.}  

The Holy Spirit empowers the gifts

The Holy Spirit distributes the gifts

The Holy Spirit gives at least one to every person

The Holy Spirit distributes the gifts individually

The Holy Spirit distributes the gifts according to His will and purpose

• 1 year later...

Here, Paul clearly denies that our natural gifts and abilities are connected to divine or spiritual gifts. Gifts are clearly given by God. They exist parallel to, but are not in conjunction with, our natural gifts. 

Again, gifts are given. We don't earn them. We aren't born with them. They're simply given.

There's a little cottage industry of Christian counselors who have devised tests to determine spiritual gifts as if we can figure out God's gifts on the basis of our natural giftedness. But we're not supposed to look at ourselves and say, "Hey ... this is easy for me, comes naturally and enjoyable so it must be my spiritual gift...."

When gifts come, they come. We don't have to figure them out. When we need to exercise a particular gift, it will be there. We don't have to sleuth out our gifts as if God sneakily hid them from us -- nor are gifts latent in us waiting to be "discovered." The same God that gives gifts will make it clear how to use them and when.

Our role is negligible. The Spirit does everything in His time and way.