JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 months later...

Q1. (1 Corinthians 14:1-4) What is the value of prophecy over tongues, according to verse 4? 

The value of a spiritual gift is the degree to which it builds up the church. Speaking in tongues is rather a selfish exercise, IT is directed to God,. Speaking in tongues can be a type of prayer. Later in  (14:15-16)  Paul links tongues with praise. Here Paul says that a person is "speaking mysteries (mystērion), "secret truths" to God. (notes)  The tongues speaker builds up himself, while prophecy builds up the church.

What does prophecy typically do to benefit the church, according to verse 3?

Paul gives three roles  strengthening, encouragement, and comfort should characterize the tone of prophecy in our churches. In the notes these are described as follows: 

• "Strengthening" (NIV), "upbuilding" (NRSV), "edification" (KJV) is the noun form (oikodomē) of the verb we discussed above (oikodomeō). It refers here to spiritual strengthening and building up
  • "Encouragement" (NIV, NRSV), "exhortation" (KJV) is paraklēsis, "act of emboldening another in belief or course of action, encouragement, exhortation." It isn't necessarily harsh, but it is motivating.
  • "Comfort" (NIV, KJV), "consolation" (NRSV) is paramythia, "that which serves as encouragement to one who is depressed or in grief, encouragement, comfort, consolation.           These three edify the church.

The Greek meaning of this word “prophesy” in vs.1-4 is “I foretell, prophesy; I set forth matter of divine teaching by special faculty” [strong’s], or "speak forth" in divinely-empowered forthtelling or foretelling [HELPS Word Studies].  The concept here to me is one who is speaking divine truth in the power of the Spirit.  This wouldn’t just mean foretelling some future event, but giving forth some spiritual truth with divine insight about where it leads in the future.  This spiritual gift is of great importance to God’s people.  Verses 3-4 make it clear that the Church, as the Body of Christ, is built up and strengthened, encouraged and empowered, consoled and heartened by the exercise of this gift by those who possess and use it rightly. 

The gift of tongues is not designed or meant for this type of ministry to the Body.  Rather than advancing the Word of God and building the Kingdom of God, the Corinthian church was evidently using that gift for personal reasons to look spiritual in a prideful impressive display.  Even if this was some meaningful exercise to the individual, it was of no benefit in building up the Body. (And this type of public expression is outside the parameters Paul described as the purposes for spiritual gifts.)

Q1. (1 Corinthians 14:1-4) What is the value of prophecy over tongues, according to verse 4? 

1. Speaking in tongues is directed to God, while prophecy is directed toward men and women.
  2. Speaking in tongues can be a type of prayer. Later in this chapter Paul links it with praise (14:15-16). Here Paul says that a person is "speaking mysteries (mystērion, "secret truths" to God."
  3. The purpose of congregational prophecy is three-fold -- strengthening, encouragement, and comfort.
  4. The tongues speaker builds up himself, while prophecy builds up the church.  (notes)

Prophecy in the church is viewed differently than  in ancient Israel. Prophecy is a speaking the words of the Lord as the speaker is inspired by God to strengthen , encourage and comfort the church. When one prophecies these are the things which we should attempt, in God's name to fulfill.

• "Strengthening" (NIV), "upbuilding" (NRSV), "edification" (KJV) is the noun form (oikodomē) of the verb we discussed above (oikodomeō). It refers here to spiritual strengthening and building up.
  • "Encouragement" (NIV, NRSV), "exhortation" (KJV) is paraklēsis, "act of emboldening another in belief or course of action, encouragement, exhortation."It isn't necessarily harsh, but it is motivating.
  • "Comfort" (NIV, KJV), "consolation" (NRSV) is paramythia, "that which serves as encouragement to one who is depressed or in grief, encouragement, comfort, consolation." (n0tes)

I am not of the Charismatic movement, so my answers will reflect what I have been taught and researched.

What is the value of prophecy over tongues, according to verse 4?

Speaking in "tongues" only helps the one speaking.  Prophecy is spoken to build up the church.

Prophecy is to strengthen - encourage - comfort the people of the church.

1 Corinthians 14:1-4

Q). What is the value of prophecy over tongues, according to verse 4?

A). Speaking in tongues is directed to God, while prophecy is directed toward men and women. The tongues speaker builds up himself, while prophecy builds up the church. 

#

Q). What does prophecy typically do to benefit the church, according to verse 3?

A). The purpose of congregational prophecy is three-fold -- strengthening, encouragement, and comfort.

The person is speaking to the people, rather than speaking to God in tongues.

It encourages and edifies.

We can't be edified or encouraged if we don't understand what is being said.

Note. Good Christians disagree about some of these matters. Please be loving, even if you disagree with someone.

V4: He who prophesies (interprets the divine will and purpose in inspired preaching and teaching) edifies and improves the church and promotes growth (in Christian wisdom, piety, holiness and happiness.) Amplified.

Prophecy is God speaking to men for their up building and constructive spiritual progress and encouragement and consolation.

Paul in V1 asks us to eagerly pursue and seek to acquire the Love of God and to earnestly desire and cultivate the spiritual endowments or gifts, especially that you may prophesy. All of the gifts are a vehicle which the Lord uses to teach, and encourage and edify the Body of Christ, including the gift of tongues and interpretation (used in the church service) Tongues is the one gift which builds up and edifies the individual believer. I regret the years I "shunned" and avoided this gift out of ignorance and fear. Then one day it dawned on me that my attitude did not reflect my belief that God is a good God and a God of Love and grace, and if He has gifts for me they will reflect Who He is...holiness, grace, truth and love and there is nothing to fear. When I asked in faith, I received and how I thank Him for all of His gifts..the ones I have and the ones others have which have blessed me as well.

The value of prophecy over tongues in verse 4 is that the body of believers be "EDIFIED, unless according to verse 5 - tongues be interpreted, thereby its purpose would also be to edify the body of believers.

The purpose of prophecy is that "EDIFICATION" would be seen in the church, instructing them with that which would build them up morally and spiritually, and that of "EXHORTATION", a unique gift often seen in teaching and counseling, so that the body would be working as one, that of "CONFORTING" one another, giving to those who are weak, strength and hope that builds one up in the Lord.

The purpose of "PROPHECY" to me is that the spirit of "LOVE" would be seen in the body, a body of believers working together, building each other up in the “FAITH”

I would not want to live one moment without the Spirit working in my life.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 14:1-4) 

The value of the gift of prophecy is that it is intended for the edification of the whole church and not so much for individual believers. One has to be careful of any alleged prophecy which is nothing more than a way of manipulating or influencing others. This is why this gift must be encouraged to be used in the local church where other believers are gathered. Besides up-building, this spiritual gift also has the function of encouragement. The Holy Spirit inspires believers to speak words which give strength to the life of the local church. The gift of prophecy can also help console and comfort believers in the local church, giving them the peace of God, away from the hectic bustle of daily life. 

The value of prophecy over tongues is that the gift of prophecy edifies and/or instructs the whole church while the gift of tongues is a person speaking to God. No one understands the message given in tongues (unless an interpreter is there as should be)  but the person is usually uttering mysteries with his spirit.

Prophecy in the church is for the edification, exhortation and the comfort of the church. Edification to encourage the church, exhortation for spiritual guidance in the truth and to stay on the right track with truth in love and love in truth and for the comfort of the church for those who are hurting, under severe trials and persecution. The whole church should be benefiting from the gift of prophecy. First, the church as a whole with exhortations from scripture for assurance of a correct vision and assurance to faithfully and biblically, living out that vision in balance as well as encouragement to continue in the faith with scriptural promises and reminders as to God's good character as well as comfort to the body as it suffers for Christ or where there is individual suffering offering the hope given to us from our mighty sovereign God.

Note. Good Christians disagree about some of these matters. Please be loving, even if you disagree with someone.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 14:1-4) What is the value of prophecy over tongues, according to verse 4? What does prophecy typically do to benefit the church, according to verse 3?

The advantage of prophecy over the gift of tongues is that using tongues only the individual is edified by the use. Using prophecy, which everyone can understand, strengthens, encourages and comforts individuals and the church. Using tongues, which is usually prayer and praise by the intercession of the Holy Spirit. If tongues is interpreted it can also encourage and comfort the church.     

What is the value of prophecy over tongues, according to verse 4? 3 But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 

What does prophecy typically do to benefit the church, according to verse 3?4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church." 

The value of prophecy over tongues is that prophecy edifies that whole body of believers where tongues only edifies that person speaking in tongues. Speaking prophecy speaks to the body of Christ and builds them up, and encourages them, and consoles them.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 14:1-4) What is the value of prophecy over tongues, according to verse 4? What does prophecy typically do to benefit the church, according to verse 3?

Prophesy strengthens the church while speaking in tongues strengthen the speaker.

Prophesy helps the church when it strengthens, encourages and comfort the members

"Everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort" The church body is enriched and unified.

What does prophecy  typically do to benefit the church, according to verse 3?

Prophecy edifies the church because only the Word of God can make the body strong.

1 Corinthians 14:1-4:  Paul writes in verse 4 of this passage that the person who prophesies edifies or strengthens the entire congregation vice one speaks in tongues and only strengthens or edifies their self.

Paul writes in verse 3 that prophecy strengthens, encourages, and comforts others in the church.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (1 Corinthians 14:1-4) What is the value of prophecy over tongues, according to verse 4? What does prophecy typically do to benefit the church, according to verse 3? http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/1373-q1-prophecy-edifies/

These two verses 3 and 4 states that “He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophecies edifies the church.”  So the one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself because his spirit is praying to God even though he does not understand what is being said.  Paul seems to be stressing prophecy or preaching because it benefits the whole church whereas speaking in tongues primarily benefits the speaker. 

Paul’s stance is an encouragement to be in tune with the Spirit so that messages and actions of comfort, encouragement and edification/strengthening would be heard/seen in the church.

• 1 month later...

• The tongues speaker builds up himself, while prophecy builds up the church.

• Prophecy benefit the church according to verse 3 by helping others thru strengthening, encouragement, and comfort.

• 7 years later...

Q1. (1 Corinthians 14:1-4)

One who speaks in a tongue, builds himself up and one who prophesies builds up the community.

Prophecy tends to : Build up or strengthen; encourage or urge the church on; comfort or uplift the church.

• 1 year later...

I do not think that the gifts of the Spirit are for building up the church … exclusively. Nor do I think that natural gifts are logically connected to spiritual gifts. A gift can build up the body of Christ as well as be a way to praise and glorify God alone or, maybe, in a group of two.

The spiritual gift of prophecy is one of the least debated gifts. It appears to be on everyone’s list  because prophecy is clearly supernatural and well-described in both the OT and NT. By definition, prophecy has to have a recipient. But is there self-prophesying? Also, can prophecy be for one other person, done one-on-one? Perhaps when God reveals what a person will or should do, this is a form of prophecy. It is foretelling, no? Does everything that has to do with the future constitute a form of prophecy?

I have heard people who speak in tongues get a “word from God” for someone else. God uses person A to speak in tongues, interpreted by person B and intended for person C, rather than just go directly to person C with His message. So, in this circumstance, there is no final difference between prophecy and tongues.

Paul wrote: “Pursue love and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophecy.” This seems to be a command. If we’re to pursue and desire this particular gift, it implies that God may be willing to give us this gift, that the bestowal of gifts has something to do with our willingness to exercise them and is not always something that happens to us unexpectedly.

---

I have seen charismatic excess and the body of Christ being mocked by outsiders for having false or misguided gifts. Since prophecy is one of the gifts least understood by outsiders, it seems that events in which a prophecy could be given should be closed to those outside the church -- no prophecy during a "seeker service," for example. But more often I see the opposite: dead and dying churches that never have had the expression of spiritual gifts. 

I'm sorry that this was such a disjointed answer. Just thinking aloud...