JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 months later...

I absolutely agree that Paul valued speaking in tongues.  Without that spiritual gift, he could never have proclaimed God’s Word and shared the Gospel with all the varied language groups he encountered in his missionary travels.  But I just don’t see anywhere in Scripture that explains it as a gift for personal use or edification.  I understand 1Cor.14:2 as a caution that God is the only one who will be able to understand any foreign tongue spoken through the Spirit’s gifting to a group of people who don’t understand that language and therefore cannot gain any benefit. Vs.4 is a caution to a person who does that in public, as Paul identifies it as a prideful display of self-indulgence.  Vs.17 continues the caution that others are to be built up whenever the gift of tongues is exercised. 

Anything led/empowered by the Spirit is spiritual.  I have not “spoken in tongues”, but I know and can sense the difference in offering prayer, praise, and thanks out of my own flesh and offering them in the spirit.  I believe that a person can simultaneously pray, praise, and thank in one’s own language AND be in the spirit.  I don't see where any foreign language is required or encouraged in order to be spiritual.

1Cor.14:14 cautions that praying in a foreign language without interpretation is unproductive to your own understanding, as you have no discernment of what you are saying.  Vs.15-17 directs us to engage our capabilities of reason and intellect as we sing praise and give thanks to God in the Spirit.  What this says to me is that when we communicate with the Father and express our hearts to Him, it is not fruitful in our lives if we have no understanding of what we say.  We aren't ever instructed to separate body, soul, and spirit in some way as we worship.  And when we speak to others, it should be in terms that they can understand.  Speaking in a foreign tongue is not some requirement for this or evidence of the Spirit’s presence.  All spiritual gifts were/are given for the common good of the Body (12:7), for the purpose of building up the Church (14:12), for equipping believers in ministry as we’re unified and matured together(Eph.4:12-13), for enlarging our love (Eph.4:16), and as a sign (Gk. meaning = distinguishing mark, confirmation, authentication of the Lord and His purposes) for unbelievers (1Cor.14:22).  Scripture identifies spiritual gifts – including tongues – in the context of the Body, not individuals.

As to 14:21, I believe Paul included this reminder of Jewish history from Isaiah 28:11 as an illustration of his current point that God can/does use foreign languages to communicate His Word.  God accomplished something specific in Israel this way, and while for a different reason, He still had/has important purposes to accomplish through the Church.

The Corinthians were ignoring God’s purposes for spiritual gifts and were picking out the flashiest and most impressive one for their own immature purposes (1Cor.3:1).

Q2. (1 Corinthians 14:5-25) Paul does value speaking in tongues. What does its value seem to be according to verses 2, 4, 17, and (perhaps) Romans 8:26-27? 

According to these verses tongues is used to fortify the speaker and gives the speaker a spiritual gift that lasts for days, sometimes years. Paul is concerned about the use of tongues in  church for if it is not interpreted it is of little use to others except as an example of virtuous love for God and the return of that love. If one speaks  tongues in public two things happen 1) others wonder why this one has the gift and not them and 2) there can develop a jealousy between members over the value of the gift. Paul seems to think that tongues should be used in private prayer.

How are the Corinthians abusing speaking in tongues? 

It seems as if the Corinthians in the ecstasy of their experience of the Holy Spirit and of their fellowship are speaking out of order in the worship service. This is highly frowned upon by Paul as we will see in later verses. This confusion leads to babble and onlookers and unbelievers are given a platform to criticize and berate the church. But Paul is somewhat contrary here as he also says that prophecy is for unbelievers and prophecy is for believers. 

Paul does value speaking in tongues.  What does its value seem to be according to verses 2, 4, 17, and (perhaps) Romans 8:26-27?

verse 2 - The one speaking in tongues is speaking to God.

verse 4 - The one speaking in tongues is speaking to himself.

verse 17 - He might be giving thanks to God. 

Many are being selfish in speaking in tongues by edifying themselves and making the unbeliever think that all Christians are crazy.  The Corinthian Christians wanted to boost their own faith and were not so much concerned with the lost.

In tongues, the person is speaking to God;  God understands but those around us do not.

Everyone speaking at the same time and without interpreters.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 14:5-25) Paul does value speaking in tongues. What does its value seem to be according to verses 2, 4, 17, and (perhaps) Romans 8:26-27?

Tongues or a prayer language is the Holy Spirit within a believer speaking "secrets" to God..(Deep calling to Deep). We're praying His heart, His mind, His purposes, without "tainting" with our own agenda, prejudices, manipulation, desire to control outcomes, etc. v2.) We edify and improve ourselves when we pray in tongues. v4 ) It's a prayer of perfect freedom, knowing that the Holy Spirit is flowing in perfect unity with the Father and the Son, but using my tongue, and my Spirit as the conduit. When I've run out of "English" words of praise, the prayer language has no limit of praise "words"...or unknown melodies in which to sing and worship Him. I think that's why it builds one up....there is no striving in it, only surrender to His perfect will and words. I always feel refreshed and renewed when I use my prayer language. At times as I pray, deep sobs come forth or tears of joy...and I have no idea what they are about, but know that His heart is involved and moved by what is being prayed.

The Corinthians were still a "fleshy", immature group of believers with a lot of "stuff" which needed to be "crucified". (Like me and many of us) They were not using the gift of tongues and interpretation to benefit the group assembled, but rather were using their prayer language (not the same gift, nor the same intent as the gift of tongues and interpretation) which benefitted no one, as those present could not understand what was being said....it just sounded like foolish babbling and caused confusion, and worse than that, exclusion rather than inclusion of those present. 

To their credit Paul said they were eager to possess spiritual gifts and manifestations of the Holy spirit, but to concentrate on striving to excel and to abound in them in ways that would build up and edify the church.

I heard this recently and loved the explanation: "Paul calls us Kings and Priests, of whom Jesus is King of kings and High Priest forever. The gifts of the Holy Spirit are the Power of Kingship, used in love (the Priesthood or the love and heart of God for people.) which together bear fruit in changed lives of the recipients of those gifts."  

I believe Satan has done a stellar job in stripping the church of both the power and the love, in causing fear and or ignorance of the gifts, and as a result over 80% of America's 314,000 Christian churches are either plateaued (which is slow death) or are dying outright in diminished numbers and influence. (recent statistic on the state of the Church in America) The revival promised in scripture is for the Church....to be empowered once again to influence the unbelievers for Christ....the Great harvest. To care more for the souls of those going to hell around us, than for our apathetic disregard (lost love) or our cherished denominational traditions which shun the gifts which God has given to equip us and to empower us and to manifest His Presence.

1 Corinthians 14:5-25

Paul does value speaking in tongues. What does its value seem to be according to verses Q). 2, 4, 17, and (perhaps) Romans 8:26-27?

A). The scriptures seem to indicate that the value of speaking in tongues is usually for prayer, praise, intercession and as a Language of Thanksgiving

#

Q). How are the Corinthians abusing speaking in tongues?

A). The Corinthians were abusing the gift by taking pleasure and pride for speaking in tongues publicly.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 14:5-25) 

Paul does value speaking in tongues. 

What does its value seem to be according to verses 2, 4, 17, and (perhaps) Romans 8:26-27? 

Verse 2: Without interpretation, God understands what is being said, but the congregation will not.

Verse 4: If used without love it is used only for self-edification.

Verse 17: If everyone is speaking gibberish it does not benefit anyone or the local church. 

Romans 8:26-27: I am not sure Paul is referring to the gift of tongues.

Their services must have been chaotic, everyone selfishly trying to get attention and speaking gibberish with no concern for the edification of the church. 

Q2. (1 Corinthians 14:5-25) Paul does value speaking in tongues. What does its value seem to be according to verses 2, 4 and (perhaps) Romans 8:26-27? 

Paul values speaking in tongues because it is one of the diverse gifts given for man to “PROFIT” there by – (1 Corinthians 12:10)  To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues. 

In order for tongues when spoken in the congregation to "EDIFY" the church, it must be followed with the gift of interpretation, so that all would come to understand the mysteries of God, building up the body so that there should be no schism in the body, but that we care one for another, the revealing of "LOVE" through the Spirit is the best teacher we have, therefore, let us all desire spiritual gifts. 

The value of speaking in tongues according to these verses are:

1 Corinthians 14: 2 The person speaking in tongues does not speak to men, but speaks to God. (How wonderful!)

1 Corinthians 14: 4  He who speaks in tongues edifies himself.

1 Corinthians 14:17 He is giving thanks. (but is he edifying others)?

Romans 8:26,27  Praying in the Spirit with the Spirit Himself interceding for us with groans that words cannot express.

The gift of tongues is more of a personal gift in my opinion. It is for prayer and praise and for when we need to express more to God than our earthly words can say, especially in times of intercession. I do though, also think it can be used in the church orally, but only with interpretation so others can hear and understand the message.

I do embrace the words of Paul in in vs. 22-25. If everyone in the church is getting up and uttering things in tongues, but no one can understand....what good is that? If everyone speaks a word from God to encourage (edify) or convict (exhort) in their own language, then everyone can hear and choose to act accordingly.

The Corinthians had placed too high of a value on speaking in tongues (probably because it was high profile and drew attention to themselves and their supposed spirituality) and were out of balance not choosing to ask for the gift that could benefit all and could express God's will or direction for the church.

What does its value seem to be according to verses 2, 4, 17, and (perhaps) Romans 8:26-27?  Unless it is interpreted; it is a form of personal prayer.

How are the Corinthians abusing speaking in tongues?  Speaking without interpretation thereby sending the wrong signal to "seekers."

Q2. (1 Corinthians 14:5-25) Paul does value speaking in tongues. What does its value seem to be according to verses 2, 4, 17, and (perhaps) Romans 8:26-27? How are the Corinthians abusing speaking in tongues?

The value of speaking in tongues generally benefits only the one speaking in tongues. Biblical benefits of speaking in tongues is praise and worship to God, the only benefits for others is if there is a person who can interpret the tongue speaking person.

The Corinthians, who excelled in the gift of tongues were somewhat over zealous with the gift, no one in the church congregation were being edified.     

Q2. (1 Corinthians 14:5-25) Paul does value speaking in tongues. What does its value seem to be according to verses 2, 4, 17, and (perhaps) Romans 8:26-27? How are the Corinthians abusing speaking in tongues?

Tongues are good but the speaker speaks to God and in mysteries and other people do not understand him. Consequently he builds himself only.

The Corinthians abuse tongues by being proud about their ability to speak and secondly by speaking without any interpretation of what they speak. 

Paul does value speaking in tongues. What does its value seem to be according to verses 2, 4, 17, and perhaps Romans 8:26 - 27.?

Verse 2, Anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God.   Personal prayer, praise and uplifting.

verse 4, He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself.                                           On a one to one communication.

Verse 17. He may be giving thanks.                                                                    His offering of thanks is only from self.

Romans 8:26-27, The Spirit, because of our weakness, intercedes for us,( but are we aware of what the Spirit has spoken on our behalf?) Still on a one to one basis.

They were engaged in an ego trip trying to outshine all in the gathering for their own gratification.

1 Corinthians 14:5-25:  In this passage Paul says that tongues is good for personal edification, prayer, and praise.  Additionally, it serves as a sign for unbelievers.  Whereas prophecy is for unbelievers.

The Corinthians abused the gifts of tongues in that they speaking in tongues as a way to measure spiritual maturity and considered it as superior to any other gift of the Spirit.  Speaking in tongues caused confusion in their church and appeared to be chaotic.  It wasn't done systematically and in a way that would edify and strengthen the entire congregation.  Often it was used to draw attention to themselves to promote their spiritual superiority over others.  I believe this happens a lot in many of our churches today.  Humbly walking with God is a difficult thing for many Christians to do.  Again, most want to rule the world, few humbly follow and serve God.  Too many looking for photo ops and few quietly going about serving God.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1 Corinthians 14:5-25) Paul does value speaking in tongues. What does its value seem to be according to verses 2, 4, 17, and (perhaps) Romans 8:26-27? How are the Corinthians abusing speaking in tongues?  http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/1374-q2-value-and-abuse/

Although Christians do not always know God’s will in prayer, the Spirit intercedes for them and answers for them because the Spirit always prays within God’s will.  That is to say, we are not left to our own resources to cope with problems. 

Even when we do not know what to pray, the Holy Spirit prays on our behalf, and God answers.  With God helping us pray, we do not need to be afraid to come before Him, because we can ask the Holy Spirit to intercede for us, in accordance to God’s will in trust that He will always do what is best.

• 1 month later...

Paul does value speaking in tongues. What does its value seem to be according to verses 2, 4, 17, and (perhaps) Romans 8:26-27?

1.  Speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit that is more for personal up-building than congregational up-building, unless you have an interpreter. 

2.  The Corinthians were using speaking in tongues as a sign of spiritual superiority.

• 7 years later...

Q2. (1 Corinthians 14:5-25)

What does its value seem to be according to verses 2, 4, 17, and (perhaps) Romans 8:26-27?

Speaking in an unknown tongue does not necessarily edify the congregation present, but it is as if things are spoken to God (hidden secrets). Maybe deep hurts or truths, not exposed to man but which the Spirit understands. The person speaking in the tongue is edified. Singing praise or thanks can also be done in tongues, without necessarily it being interpreted.

From my own experience I can testify that it is as if something is released from you and you feel lighter afterwards. That is almost spelled out in Romans 8:26 &27.

The Corinthians from the sound of what is said, seem to be using the speaking in tongues, without interpretation, in their gatherings and whether someone is preaching at the time or not. It is not used wisely and for edifying of the assembly.

• 1 year later...

When I bow my head and silently pray in church, I am not edifying or building up the believers next to me, but am communing with God Himself, one-on-one. The fact that others may also be praying to God at the same time matters not to me -- my prayers are for and to Him. If I spoke in tongues in church, which I do not, I would think there could be a silent version of such speech. That, too, would be between me and God. When Quakers have long periods of silence during their services, those silences include the thoughts and prayers of believers toward God and do not involve in any manner, the thoughts and prayers of others.

Most of the Christian life is NOT communal. Salvation is between me and God. When I choose to submit to Him in faith, no one else needs be involved. Sanctification is also between me and God. 

Worship must be categorically different, then. It is only communal. It seems that Paul is saying that anything we do alone, in privacy, is not something we should do in church, that church should be reserved for the sorts of things that all participate in. Thus, tongues with interpretation or prophetic utterances are appropriate because the entire group participates and understands what God is saying.

Paul, interestingly, goes outside of the church to justify the idea that the only things that should go on in church are for people in the church. He says that the things we do should be understood by outsiders to the faith -- thus, eliminating tongues but not prophecy. I would think that secularists who hear prophecy would think "we are out of our minds" as the NIV sorta puts it, so I'm not sure why prophecy is public and good for unbelievers to hear while tongues are either private or interpreted and bad for unbelievers to hear.

I'm confused, as usual.