JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (John 1:19-27) How does John the Baptist show humility? How can a person see himself as the fulfillment of a passage from Isaiah and still be humble about it? How does John see himself in relation to the coming Messiah? How can a person be such a strong revivalist preacher and still remain humble? Can humility and powerful, confident speech co-exist?

• 4 weeks later...

How does John the Baptist show humility? How can a person see himself as the fulfillment of a passage from Isaiah and still be humble about it? How does John see himself in relation to the coming Messiah? How can a person be such a strong revivalist preacher and still remain humble? Can humility and powerful, confident speech co-exist?          

• John the Baptist showed humility because he does not take credit for himself in baptizing the people.  He tells the people that there will be someone greater than he that will come after him whom he is not even worthy to tie his shoes.  John was humble just to be the voice of one calling to prepare the way.  When we truly understand who Christ is, our pride and self-importance will go away.

Q3. (John 1:19-27) How does John the Baptist show humility? How can a person see himself as the fulfillment of a passage from Isaiah and still be humble about it? How does John see himself in relation to the coming Messiah? How can a person be such a strong revivalist preacher and still remain humble? Can humility and powerful, confident speech co-exist?

He showed his humility by pointing out that there is another one to come. John had begun his ministry before Jesus however he was still able to say that Jesus ranked before him. John the Baptist continued, that he came baptising so that Jesus would be revieled to all of Israel (John 1:30, 31). In addition, John had witnessed the Holy Spirit decending and remaining on Jesus when John baptised him. Because of this John the baptist confessed that Jesus was the Son of God, because God told him that this would be so. John was obviously comfortable with who he was and what God had sent him to do.

Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time (1 Peter 5:6 NRSV).

How does John the Baptist show humility? How can a person see himself as the fulfillment of a passage from Isaiah and still be humble about it? How does John see himself in relation to the coming Messiah? How can a person be such a strong revivalist preacher and still remain humble? Can humility and powerful, confident speech co-exist?          

• John the Baptist showed humility because he does not take credit for himself in baptizing the people.  He tells the people that there will be someone greater than he that will come after him whom he is not even worthy to tie his shoes.  John was humble just to be the voice of one calling to prepare the way.  When we truly understand who Christ is, our pride and self-importance will go away.

I like the comment from Advanced member from Detroit: "When we truly understand who Christ is, our pride and self-importance will go away".

Q3. (John 1:19-27) How does John the Baptist show humility?

John described himself as merely a voice crying aloud in the wilderness repeating Isaiah's prophecy of the coming Messiah. He said he was "not worthy to untie the sandal strings of the One who comes after me."

How can a person see himself as the fulfillment of a passage from Isaiah and still be humble about it?

I'm smiling as I think of a great example of this given by Joseph Prince: "The donkey who carried Jesus in the Triumphal entry into Jerusalem, must remember that the cheers, applause and waving palm branches are for Jesus ALONE....he's just the donkey carrying Messiah!

How does John see himself in relation to the coming Messiah?

John was certain that he was "just the donkey" introducing his Messiah, Jesus!

How can a person be such a strong revivalist preacher and still remain humble?

One must be clear on the Holy Spirit's roll in our world and in each life.....Jesus made it clear that "Apart from Me you can do NOTHING!" As long as the preacher (or whomever is representing our Lord) remembers that he or she is simply the voice or hands or feet, and that the Holy Spirit is the Power and the One Who empowers and anoints the human vessel.

Can humility and powerful, confident speech co-exist?

I believe it's possible ...as long as the confidence is not in oneself...but rather in the Holy Spirit's Presence and anointing on the words spoken.

John showed humility by taking the focus off himself; even thought this was fulfillment of scripture, and instead pointed the people to look to Jesus the Lamb of God. Who was in the personage of god the Son. John saw himself just as a messenger sent to echo the coming of the messiah. I also believe That John knowing this even from the womb that he was going to be voice and Jesus helped him keep things in perspective.

Q3. (John 1:19-27) How does John the Baptist show humility?

By downplaying his role as the herald of Christ. In Matthew we read of John's humility when told that his disciples were going with Jesus and that Jesus was winning more disciples than John was. John was genuinely glad that Jesus was becoming more well known.

Additionally, John lived in the most humble circumstances imaginable. He wore clothing made from camel hair and ate wild locusts. John was a Nazarite, a man dedicated to God since birth.

How can a person see himself as the fulfillment of a passage from Isaiah and still be humble about it?

I think John never lost sight of his mission, which was to point people to Jesus and not to agrandize himself. I believe the Holy Spirit so filled John with purpose that he could do nothing BUT fulfill his mission. John's mission was so vital to the whole advent that there was no room for personal pride over his part in it.

John sees himself as insignificant compared to Jesus. In John's view Jesus was so much worthier of praise and honor than he was that he didn't consider himself worthy enough to intie Jesus' sandals.

How can a person be such a strong revivalist preacher and still remain humble? Can humility and powerful, confident speech co-exist?

The key to being a powerful confident revivalist preacher and still remain humble is to never lose sight of the awesome privelege God has given you to do the job. Someone asked Billy Graham once how many people he hoped would become his followers. His reply was: "None. I don't want people to follow me; I want them to follow Jesus".

Rather than thinking; "I had a great day today, there was a huge respose to my preaching" it would be best to think: "God used my preaching very productively today and thanks to His power and His will, many came to Christ. I thank God for that awesome privelege."

Q3. (John 1:19-27) 

How does John the Baptist show humility? 

How can a person see himself as the fulfilment of a passage from Isaiah and still be humble about it? 

John shows humility by not focusing on himself but rather on our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. I think John had every reason to boast and brag about having been singled out by the Lord. To think that his life and ministry were prophesied in Isaiah 40; that his birth was due to the direct and miraculous power of God (Luke 1:13); that he was filled with the Holy Spirit even in his mother's womb (Luke 1:15); that he was sent from God (John 1:6), and that Jesus Himself spoke of him as ‘there is none greater among men than John the Baptist’ (Matthew 11:11). He must have realised the importance of his mission, and he knew that he had to follow God’s will. All of this contributed to him being both humble and confident in announcing the coming Messiah. 

John the Baptist was interested in his mission from God.  He was not out to appear great and I believed he shunned the spotlight.  He knew he was to point the way to One greater that he and he was faithful in all God asked.

We do get all puffed up sometimes but John the Baptist was well grounded and knew he was there at the Lords behest and not of his own doing.  He only wanted to be who God wanted him to be.  He was God's man of the hour and he knew who was coming and who he was in relation to Him.  When you know God the approval of men doesn't mean much.

Can humility and powerful confident speech coexist?  Of course they can in someone who is well grounded in Christ.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

We need to pray for each other!  We need too!

John didn’t set his attention on himself, but on the One he knew he represented - One who was divine and superior in every way.  That is the key to keeping anyone from becoming proud of self.  He was humbled by the very mission of fulfilling the prophecy of Isaiah and understood his role was actually very simple.  He was to bear witness about the Light who shines in the darkness.  John knew the call was God-ordained and it was of great importance, but he also knew that it was only for the purpose of magnifying the Christ.

Yes, humility and powerful confident speech can certainly co-exist.  But that balance requires the same kind of consistent focus on God and humble acceptance of our proper place and role that John had.  It’s never about us; it’s always about Jesus.

John indeed demonstrated his humility by stating he was a servant of the coming Christ by comparing himself to a lowly slave as to the duties of a slave he considered himself unworthy to do.

We too are called to be a servant of the King. It gives true meaning to the phrase: "I'm truly humbled to serve." He chose John and us  and enables us to serve. There is no room for pride -only praise and thanksgiving. 

One, I think, cannot really be a strong preacher without a strong sense of God's working in our lives. And it is His work and grace. All we can do is receive it.

A  strong preacher has been given a gift. There can be a humble confidence in the giver of the gift.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

In humility John, compared himself to a voice rather than a person, thus focusing the attention exclusively upon Christ. Each time John had opportunity to focus on himself in these encounters, he instead shifted the focus onto the Messiah. John went so far as to state that he, unlike a slave that was required to remove his master's shoes, was not even worthy of performing this action in relationship to Messiah. A person can be strong and remain humble if you keep your focus on the Lord. Yes, humility and powerful confident speech co-exist.

John shows humility by proclaiming he is not worthy to untie the sandals of the one coming after him. He lives in the desert, dresses in camel hair clothes and eats honey and locust. He preaches that he is to make straight the path for the coming messiah.

John sees himself as the fulfillment of a passage from Isaiah. he knew he was not the Elijah, not a prophet or the messiah. He knew he was to prepare the way og the one coming after him. He knew of the prophecy  give to his father Zachariah.

His keep his humility because he was filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, which gave him power similar to Elijah.

Humility and powerful speech can co-exist provided one lives and follows the Lord God and he is filled with the Holy Spirit to give him the power of speech.  

John shows humility by saying he is not worthy to untie the thongs of the sandals of the one who comes after him.  We are all servants of the God himself as was John.  Jesus made himself a servant to the people.  Humility and serving another is all part of the great love of our religion.  We are equal in His sight. John sees himself only as one who came before Him to tell of His coming.  As a minister I ask before I approach the altar each Sunday for His help, His words, and anything that comes from my mouth be pleasing to Him.  Anything I do is for him no credit is due me.  All is His. As long as we know everything we do is for the glory of the Father and to help another human we are on the right track.

John showed humility by stating clearly to the messengers from Jewish authorities that he was not any of the three – the Christ, Elijah or the Prophet expected then. He further told them that the one to come was so great that he could not untie the thong of his sandals.

John’s humility stemmed from the fact that he knew he was merely a messenger sent by God and he could not therefore exalt himself.

One can be powerful and gentle/ humble when lead by the Spirit of God who is gentle but powerful.

(John 1:19-27) How does John the Baptist show humility? How can a person see himself as the fulfillment of a passage from Isaiah and still be humble about it? How does John see himself in relation to the coming Messiah? How can a person be such a strong revivalist preacher and still remain humble? Can humility and powerful, confident speech co-exist?

"He (John the Baptist) did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, 'I am not the Christ.' " (John 1:20)

"... He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie."(John 1:27). This person is of such high rank that John feels unworthy to untie his sandal thongs. 

I would suppose that John's obedience to God's calling on his live enabled him to be a powerful revivalist and yet remain humble. Often, we mistake humility for weakness and meekness. In John's case, we know that this is not true. He stood up to the Pharisees and Sadducees' questions and he even chided them "But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, “Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?" " (Matt 3:7)

I love this definition of meekness- being weak by your choice. I think that was John the Baptist. He obviously came from a decent family- his father was given the privilege of going into temple to pray at assigned time but John lived very simple life. He did not have fancy clothes and ate bugs, literally. John understood his role in life so much better than most of us... we do not live for our own selfish satisfactions. We are given life so that we may glorify and worship God.

Hello,

I see John as an example for these days. I miss a good example like him.
John did not want to appear. In fact, in our days most people want to appear more than Jesus. Jesus is the light.  

How does John the Baptist show humility?  How can a person see himself as the fulfillment of a passage from Isaiah and still be humble about it?  How does John see himself in relation to the coming Messiah?  How can a person be such a strong revivalist preacher and still remain humble?  Can humility and powerful, confident speech co-exist?

John the Baptist recognized his own unworthiness in relation to Christ and God and that is the only way to remain humble.  Humility and powerful, confident speech can co-exist as long as there is dependence on God and as long as all glory is given to God.

John took himself out of the way. He was doing what Jesus wanted him to do. It is not what we do it is if we are doing for the Lord. we are to expect no glory for doing the work of the Lord.When we truly understand who Christ is our self-importance and pride melts away.

John sees himself as a lowly servant not even fit to unlatch our Saviour sandals.

A person has to remember who called them to preach Gods word. You don't wake up one day and say I am a preacher. You are called by our Lord Jesus Christ.  

It can co-exist if we always remember who put us in the place to preach and teach his Word. All the glory has to be given to the Lord we do nothing on our own. we have to decreased and the Lord has to increase

PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME

John is wearing an animal skin "robe" and eats locusts and honey.

How can a person see himself as a fulfillment of a passage from Isaiah and still be humble about it?

I do not know if John knew of the connection to the Isaiah prophecy.  John was not a man that had the full Law and only knew what God had laid on his heart.  He trusted God and leaned on Him.

John sees himself as a preparer for the coming Messiah.  He knows that the Messiah will come to him and he will announce it to the crowd.  John said the he, himself must decrease in influence and the Messiah must increase in influence.

John know what he had to do and that was to prepare the way for the Messiah.  And he knew that he would have opposition from the religious, ruling Jews and he did not care.  He did his job!

YES!  When the right person is doing it.  John was one such person that had the power of God behind him and still did not seek any earthy power.

• 2 weeks later...

John the Baptist showed humility when he pointed the people to the Messiah and professed that the Messiah is mightier than he adding that he was unworthy to loose the thongs of His sandals; an act that was relegated to slaves.  A person can see himself as the fufillment of a prophetic passage and remain humble when he gives himself to completing the mission he has been given to do and do so to the best of his abiity.  John saw himself as the forerunner, a preparer for the Ministry of Jesus.  A person who is a strong revivalist can remain humble when he knows his callin and remain faithful to carrying it out.  Yes, Humility and powerful, confident speech can co-exist when one fully trust and rely on God for empowerment.

John the Baptist showed humility by the way that he answered the Pharisees questions. He told them that he would even be worthy of untying the sandal of the one to come.

I think the reason that John knew that he was fulfilling a passage from Isaiah and still be humble is because he knew it wasn’t all about him but it was about the one to come. John saw himself as just a servant to the one that was to come.

The way that a person can be such a strong revivalist preacher and still remain humble is to know you are not talking about what you can do but what the person that you are teaching about can do.

I think that humility and powerful, confident speech can co-exist. Just look at one of the modern day preaches like Billy Graham. He knows that it isn’t about him but it is about the one we are going to be meeting if we repent.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (John 1:19-27)

Verse 27. Whose shoe's latchet. Matthew 3:11. The latchet of sandals was the string or thong by which they were fastened to the feet. To unloose them was the office of a servant, and John means, therefore, that he was unworthy to perform the lowest office for the Messiah. This was remarkable humility. John was well known; he was highly honoured; thousands came to hear him. Jesus was at that time unknown; but John says that he was unworthy to perform the humblest office for Jesus. So we all should be willing to lay all that we have at the feet of Christ, and feel that we are unworthy to be his lowest servants.

Verse 21. Art thou Elias? This is the Greek way of writing Elijah. The Jews expected that Elijah would appear before the Messiah came. Matthew 11:14. They supposed that it would be the real Elijah returned from heaven. In this sense John denied that he was Elijah; but he did not deny that he was the Elias or Elijah which the prophet intended (Matthew 3:3), for he immediately proceeds to state (John 1:23) that he was sent, as it was predicted that Elijah would be, to prepare the way of the Lord; so that, while he corrected their false notions about Elijah, he so clearly stated to them his true character that they might understand that he was really the one predicted as Elijah.

Verse 20. I am not the Christ. This confession proves that John was not an impostor. He had a wide reputation. The nation was expecting that the Messiah was about to come, and multitudes were ready to believe that John was he, Luke 3:15. If John had been an impostor he would have taken advantage of this excited state of public feeling, proclaimed himself to be the Messiah, and formed a large party in his favour. The fact that he did not do it is full proof that he did not intend to impose on men, but came only as the forerunner of Christ.

John's example shows that all Christians, and especially all Christian ministers, however much they may be honoured and blessed, should be willing to lay all their honours at the feet of Jesus; to keep themselves back and to hold up before the world only the Son of God. To do this is one eminent mark of the true spirit of a minister of the gospel.

I think yes. Because your only doing this for Christ and the Holy Spirit that is with you is the power behind it.

• 3 weeks later...

John refuses to speak of himself as someone important, and he always refers to the one who is coming, and that he John  is preparing the way for His arrival by purifying those we see the light and wisdom 

Jesus is the ultimate example of power and humility as one person. He washed the disciples feet, and then He went and died for our sins, though He was the powerful Son of God, He can here to server and save us, and this once recognized enough allows all of us to truly love Him and want to share out heart about what He has done for each of us who are saved by Him. Oh what a joy divine, leaning on His everlasting arms!

John the Baptist said he was not even worthy to be Christ’s slave. But according to Luke 7:28, Jesus said that John was the greatest of all prophets. If such a great person felt inadequate even to be Christ’s slave, how much more should we lay aside our pride to serve Christ!

Although John the Baptist was a well-known preacher who attracted large crowds, he was content for Jesus to take the higher place. This is true humility, the basis for greatness in preaching, teaching, or any other work we do for Christ. When you are content to do what God wants you to do and let Jesus Christ be honored for it, God will do great things through you.

At Jesus’ baptism, John the Baptist had declared Jesus to be the Messiah. At that time God had given John a sign to show him that Jesus truly had been sent from God. John and Jesus were related, so John probably knew who he was. But it wasn’t until Jesus’ baptism that John understood that Jesus was the Messiah.