JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Mary's Nudge

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host’s problem?

To have been invited indicates Mary was either a relative or close friend she cared about. To run out of wine at a wedding was considered a great social gaffe or breach of etiquette, so Mary's intervention was out of love for the host family.

Are her words to Jesus appropriate?

I think so...she only sounds surprised that "They have no more wine!" She knew Jesus was the only One who could remedy this for them.

Would you categorize Jesus’ reply as a rebuke?

At first glance it sounds like a rebuke...but "Dear woman". is tender. It's more of an explanation and confirmation of His mission and the timing. Mary knew from His words and tone and His "Leave it to me", (amp) that He intended to save the family from shame and disgrace. I believe He was excited to do this, and pleased that His mother knew he both would and could perform this miracle.

If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?

It WAS God's timing. It is no mistake that Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine at a wedding where two are joined together in celebration of life. (He is the Person of GRACE).The first plague of Moses was to turn water into blood to bring death to the captors and separation for his people from slavery in Egypt.

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem?

She cared. Whether the people were friends or family , she didn't want them to be embarrassed.

Yes.

Would you categorize Jesus' reply as a rebuke?

No. In our times if you say woman in that way it is usually as a rebuke or harsh. In their culture it was a gentle term, bordering on a loving term. He talked to her with respect.

When Jesus said "My time has not yet come" many people think He is referring to time to do miracles. He was already baptized. He already received the Holy Spirit. His mentioning of time had nothing to do with time for doing miracles.

For the Jews position and being an important person was part of their focus. At weddings each guest got a slot to help with a gift to make the wedding a success, feeding so many people for a week is very expensive, so many family members and friends helped. When Jesus said "My time has not yet come" He said that it was not yet His turn to help at the wedding's provisions. He was one of the lesser important guests, yet He was the most important guest.

He helped because He also came to serve. He helped because this was a Pharisee house (stone jars for ritual was in the house)

He helped because He used the wine to say "I brought a better way"

The stone jars were used to make ritual cleaning or holy water. Jesus later on rebuked the Pharisee because of one of this ritual cleaning- Mark 7.

Jesus. sends the servants who knew how to prepare this water to fill the jars. They assumed He wanted ritual cleaning water, thus they filled the jars to the brim, as described in the method. (Part of the method was to add a bit of wine to the water remaining in the jars to make sure it was unclean, than you went through steps to purify the water - Jesus used this to make pure wine) Jesus used this wedding to tell all. Follow Me, I will teach you how to be really faithful to God. The Pharisee have their ways but it is a hindrance. I will teach you the truth and the way to life

Mary does not push Jesus but ask with assurance that he could help and he would know what to do and more importantly she knew he had a kind heart and so his response to her 'woman my time has not yet come' showed he too understod his mother and her love and compassion for people. So they mutually shared a desire to help. His response of woman was not a rebuke but an endearment, he acknowledge all who she was as 'woman' in his reply to her request. Jesus goes ahead with the miracle out of love and to bring glory to his father. He Jesus was the new wine.

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host’s problem? Are her words to Jesus appropriate? Would you categorize Jesus’ reply as a rebuke? If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?

Perhaps Jesus had intended to do this miracle all along. He must have also known that they had run out of wine at the ceremony. Perhaps Jesus waited for his mother to ask him to do something about it. We see in the Gospels often, before Jesus performed a miracle, he waited for the people to ask him for help first, or he asked them - for example he asked the man by the sheep gate at Jerusalem, "Do you want to be healed?" (John 4:6)

We can only speculate why he responded to her in the way he did, perhaps he wanted to remphasise the purpose for which he came.

Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host’s problem? Are her words to Jesus appropriate?

• This family were friends of Mary.  Running out of wine would be a social embarrassment for the grooms family.  I would say yes.  Mary is a widower and depended on her son for help in difficult situations.  She was doing what she normally do. 

Would you categorize Jesus’ reply as a rebuke? If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?

• Yes, I do think Jesus reply was a rebuke.  He goes on ahead with the miracle because he is being a dutiful son and he is senses the Father has a purpose in it.

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem?

Loved ones, friends, and relatives, are the ones invited to a wedding, the mother of Jesus, Jesus and his disciples are there, for hospitality to them in the east was a sacred and important duty, a wedding feast could last up to a week, therefore, to run out of “wine” would be humiliating to the bride and groom, and a sign of disrespect to those who have come, I do not see Mary as “pushing” her son to solve the problem, what I see is a “woman” who cares and understands the seriousness of the problem, a “woman” who understands the importance of providing a cordial reception to their guests; I see in the heart of this Jewish mother of Jesus, love for others, as she presents this problem and great concern to her son, and she tells him, “They have no wine”.

Q3. Are her words to Jesus appropriate?

Yes, I believe Mary, a godly “Woman” is acting appropriately, hospitality played an important part to those in the east and to those who love God, and Mary was faithful to her God, the God of Israel.

God’s Word teaches us the importance of hospitality, being hospitable to others is a big part of loving others, God tells us being hospitable is an important trait we should desire to have, especially for those who minister to others, teachers, preachers, you and me, be hospitable to one another. (Romans 12:7-13) 

Q4. Would you categorize Jesus' reply as a rebuke?

What I see is not rebuke, what is see is “love” ---- It appears the time has come for God’s Son to start the process of putting a distance between him and Mary, for there are many changes to come, and for Mary to adjust to

What was spoken here between mother and son is something we will not fully understand, but I believe it must have been a special moment, a time Mary must have known would one day come, for she knew even before he was born, that he was meant for greatness, and the amazing moment when the Holy Ghost came upon her, when she understood, the baby she would have would be a holy child, that he would be called the Son of God, she knew the mystery, she knew she would bring forth the promised Messiah; however, no one told her how to stop being his mother, to stop seeing him as her child, and instead, to start seeing him as the “Son of God”- the promised Messiah, I believe Jesus understood the situation, and he was at that time, in his wisdom was helping her in the transition that was soon to come, helping her to understand more fully what He meant when he spoke to her these words, “My Hour as not begun, why ask me now”.

Q5. If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?

After Jesus heard his mothers response to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you” - it was evident that she received his communication in the right spirit, I believe in my heart that Mary must have known at that moment, when she spoke those words, that she would have to be ready for what he might do, I believe she understood, her “hour” has come, for her to let go at seeing him as her child, transitioning to seeing him as her “Lord”.

The problem was still there, and Jesus was not about to ignore the seriousness of the situation, because of “love” he went ahead with the miracle, for we know the love of the Messiah, for we know, he is able to do exceeding abundantly “above” all that we ask or think of Him.

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host’s problem?

I think Pastor Ralph nailed it in his commentary. Mary knew Jesus could do anything. She knew He could produce wine from thin air if He wanted to. She was probably either a close friend or relative of the bridegroom and wanted her Son to help him out.

Well, I don't think her words are inappropriate, put it that way. It's no different, really, to a doctor being at a social gathering and someone passes out or whatever. The doctor's mother would surely urge him to attend the sick person. If Mary knew the groom, Jesus probably did too.

Would you categorize Jesus’ reply as a rebuke? If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?

If it was a rebuke, it was a very gentle one. Jesus gently reminded his mother that He had to do things in a timely way and to draw undue attention to Himself at this early stage of His ministry would be premature. Jumping ahead to the next lesson, Jesus performed the miracle His mother requested in a low key way that not even the bridegroom knew what had happened. Any dutiful son knows he has to keep his mother happy.

Q2. (John 2:3-5) 

Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem? 

Mary may have been involved in the wedding in some way, and running out of wine would be an embarrassment and a serious social blunder. She knew who Jesus was and I find nothing wrong with the way she spoke to Him. It is only right that she turns to Jesus for help. Then we see that her request is followed by total obedience when she told the servants to do whatever Jesus tells them to do (v.5). I don’t think Jesus’ reply is a rebuke of any kind. Initially it might seem like it, but He answers her with a title of respect and it is used with great fondness and tenderness. He was kindly letting her know that he was not subject to instructions from His mother, but acted only in obedience to the will of His Father in heaven. Mary most probably wanted to see her son glorified, but Jesus had to remind her that the time for this had not yet come. 

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host’s problem? Are her words to Jesus appropriate? Would you categorize Jesus’ reply as a rebuke? If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?

Running out of wine at the wedding of Cana, Mary request Jesus to solve the problem of no ore wine for the guest. She knows Jesus is the Son of God and she knows what ever he ask his heavenly Father he will perform it.

Mary's words to her son Jesus are appropriate, she also knows his time to minister is close at hand and her request would be simple enough.

Jesus reply to his mother is a concern of what does it matter to him if they run out of wine. He may have been a guest and not part of the immediate family.

Jesus conforms to his mother's request concerning the lack of wine. In Jewish law it would be unlawful not to obey your parents, even though Jesus was probably about 30 years of age, he obeys his mother's request.    

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem? Are her words to Jesus appropriate? Would you categorize Jesus' reply as a rebuke? If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?

Mary pushes Jesus to solve the problem because she knows he can resolve it.

I think her words to Jesus are appropriate

In my culture, Jesus reply can be categorised as a rebuke but Jesus he knows his spiritual position as a  heavenly child and not a mere mortal so his ministry is his priority and the timing must be right.

He went ahead with the miracle because he knew that it will contribute to his ministry

I think even though there is no mention in any of the Gospels, during the previous 30 years Mary must have witnessed Jesus’s miraculous powers otherwise she would not have appealed to him in this way.  She knows that he can help.  Her words are appropriate to any person of faith who puts their trust in Jesus.  However I don’t think she knows the enormity of his mission or that he is about to start the most important phase of his time on earth.  I don’t think his response is a rebuke.  I think he must have seen a purpose in the miracle or he would not have done it.  In Christian terms, I believe this passage shows us that even Jesus suffered the conflict between family and religious mission.

She cares for the family's reputation and is in need so of course, she turns to her eldest son. She is a widow at this point plus she must know Jesus is special after being with Him for 30 years. Of course, it was appropriate- it shows that we should go to Jesus for help in everyday life, not just in physical crises. He did not rebuke her, but I think He was just attending a celebration and He wanted the festivities to be properly placed on the new couple rather than on His powers to perform miracles.

Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding hosts problems.

I believe she saw the problem and knew Jesus could fix it.

Are her  words to Jesus appropriate?

I think so.  She saw the problem and went to her Son and asked.  She also saw the plight of the hosts and the embarrassment they would suffer.

Would you categorize Jesus reply as a rebuke.

Not knowing customs at that time I cannot say  for certain.  However I think it was a proper way to speak in public which would seem very different to us.  I have looked in different commentaries and found different opinions.  Recently my son-in-law addressed me as ma'am in front of someone and at first I wasn't sure how to take it and then decided it was his military training how to address women and considered very polite in front of others.  We need to be careful not to read something into things if we do not know.  One said it was a rebuke and if it was then  I am wondering if it was  appropriate for her to ask the question in the first place.  She was presuming upon Jesus to do a miracle and she was aware of Who He was.

If so why does Jesus go ahead and do the miracle anyway.  Again I don't know why.  I just know He did it.  

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem? As others mentioned, running out of wine is a social blunder/misstep. However, I believe and a problem calls for a miracle as is often the case in our lives.  And Mary knew that her son can fix the problem. Pointing it out was essential to the ministry.

Are her words to Jesus appropriate? She asked once. Then twice. Important business she is about.  Jesus took notice.

Would you categorize Jesus' reply as a rebuke? Then Jesus highlighted the situation with a slight rebuke bringing the situation to the attention to those around Him. 

If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?  Again, the rebuke brought the situation to the top of the agenda. Time for a miracle. Yes!

(John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host’s problem? Are her words to Jesus appropriate? Would you categorize Jesus’ reply as a rebuke? If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle? 

There are several possible reasons why Mary pushes Jesus to solve the "wine" problem. One could be that she was close to the groom and knew what an insult it would be to the groom and his family if there was not enough wine for the festivities. Another could be that she knows Jesus' capabilities and may be seen Him performing miracles. The bible does not specifically state the reasons.

Mary's words to Jesus leaves no doubt that she expects Him to do something about the shortage of wine. I would suppose that it is appropriate if a mother expects her son to obey and do her bidding.

In a way, yes, Jesus' reply could be seen as a rebuke. However, as an obedient son and out of respect for His mother, Jesus goes ahead with the miracle.

• 3 weeks later...

Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host’s problem to avoid embarassment to the groom and his family.  Mary's words to Jesus was quite appropriate because she knew that the problem would be resolved.  Jesus' reply to Mary is not considered a rebuke but rather He said it as a caution so that she would not make subsequent requests and expect Him to respond again and again.  Jesus perform the miracle because He too wanted to avoid his host's embarassment.

I think Mary was so used to asking Jesus for help that she thought no different of asking him to fix the wine problem. Her husband Joseph was dead and I think she ask for His help in difficult times.

I think her asking Jesus to help with the wine was appropriate because she thought He could fix it.As always in thing she had ask before. She knew by asking He would do the right thing.

I don't think it was a rebuke I think it was just what He said it wasn't his time.

It would be embarrassing to the host of the wedding and to Mary to run out of wine with all the people attending. I think Mary submitted to Jesus and knew He would fix it. Just as in our lives we must submit and 

and continue to trust that He will work in the best way. I think Jesus did  just this in this situation.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Mary already had a sense that Jesus could do what she was asking of Him. For some reason it was important to her that the wedding feast continue and if they ran out of wine they would have to stop the feast.

Her words to Jesus must have been appropriate because He did what she asked him to. I wouldn’t have categorized Jesus’ reply as a rebuke because I had seen this passage many times and not thought about that reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Mary intercedes for the family to prevent them from being shamed by the lack of facilities for the wedding.  Today, anyone knowing someone could assist would be asked to do something to facitate the activity.  As you said, she knew from experience the abilities He had.

Her words are appropriate.  She only asked Him to provide for the needs of those in distress, even though it was not the time for Him to reveal Himself.  He was not rebuking His mother.  He, probably, looked at the request as not fulfilling His "real" purpose.  He loves His mother and completes the request.   

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (John 2:3-5)

Mary became worried or anxious and because of that she tried to control Jesus.

It is not known why Mary told this to Jesus. It would seem that she had a belief that he was able to supply it, though he had as yet worked no miracle.

It is inappropriate. Mary shouldn’t interfere in Jesus’ own way and timing.

Verse 4. Woman. This term, as used here, seems to imply reproof, as if she was interfering in that which did not properly concern her; but it is evident that no such reproof or disrespect was intended by the use of the term woman instead of mother. It is the same term by which he tenderly addressed Mary Magdalene after his resurrection (John 20:15), and his mother when he was on the cross, John 19:26. Comp. also Matthew 15:28, John 4:21, 1 Corinthians 7:16.

What have I to do with thee? Matthew 8:29. This expression is sometimes used to denote indignation or contempt. See Judges 11:12, 2 Samuel 16, 1 Kings 17:18. But it is not probable that it denoted either in this place; if it did, it was a mild reproof of Mary for attempting to control or direct him in his power of working miracles. Most of the ancients supposed this to be the intention of Jesus. The words sound to us harsh, but they might have been spoken in a tender manner, and not have been intended as a reproof.

It is clear that he did not intend to refuse to provide wine, but only to delay it a little; and the design was, therefore, to compose the anxiety of Mary, and to prevent her being solicitous about it. It may, then, be thus expressed:

"My mother, be not anxious. To you and to me this should not be a matter of solicitude. The proper time of my interfering has not yet come. When that is come I will furnish a supply, and in the meantime neither you nor I should be solicitous."

Thus understood, it is so far from being a harsh reproof, that it was a mild exhortation for her to dismiss her fears and to put proper trust in him.

Mine hour,

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem? Are her words to Jesus appropriate? Would you categorize Jesus' reply as a rebuke? If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?

SO well put in this study, she can see it will be embarrassing to the family, and wants Jesus to "save" the situation. Yet Jesus, like seeing Nathaniel under the fig tree knew this was coming from His mother. A good question is why did he reply back "my time has not yet come." when He already knew this was going to happen?

This is another example of how God give us plenty, whether we recognize the blessing or not. God gives us plenty of air to breath every day. There is plenty off food growing thanks to modern farming. Do we hatnk God for this as often as we could/should? We are lucky to have God's grace fo all these things and not have been created to die of hunger in our youth.

We have no real answer why Jesus did this other than to be reminded that much more like this is given to us by God's grace, without any real merit from our works. Thanks you God for all this, thank you Jesus for this beautiful miracle that none can deny is by God's grace alone  

It seems like Mary is related to the host, so she does not want the host embarrassed. 

To her, as a mother, yes.  But to Jesus, He wanted to set His own time to reveal Himself as the Messiah.

Yes, a slight rebuke, but she did not stay close to Jesus to hear it.,

I think that Jesus did not want to embarrass His mother.

Weddings in Jesus’ day were week-long festivals. Banquets would be prepared for many guests, and the week would be spent celebrating the new life of the married couple. Often the whole town was invited, and everybody would come—it was considered an insult to refuse an invitation to a wedding. To accommodate many people, careful planning was needed. To run out of wine was more than embarrassing; it broke the strong unwritten laws of hospitality. Jesus was about to respond to a heartfelt need and did not want to embarrass his mother and was part of his forfulment 

• 2 weeks later...

I think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem because she didn't want the host to be embarrassed by running out of wine in the middle of the festivities.

Mary's words to Jesus were inappropriate. Only the Father could tell Jesus when the right time was for His ministry to begin.

I would consider Jesus reply as a slight rebuke.

Jesus' probably went ahead with the miracle because it was a personal request from His mother.