JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Born Anew / Again / from Above

• 1 month later...

To enter the Kingdom one has to be born anew, a new creature in Christ Jesus. Being born anew means we trust not in our own understanding but a true and deep belief in Jesus; its an assurance beyond what we could see and touch. Doubting Thomas believed cause he saw and touched Jesus' wounds we are asked through faith and being born anew to go beyond that need to see and touch and believe once the Spirit has been tested.

Being born anew is a better translation it speaks to you being you but different and in the difference its where our witness for Christ comes its thats transforming aspect that speaks to our being born anew.

Q2. (John 3:3-5) What does “entering the Kingdom” have to do with being “born anew”? Which do you think is the best translation here: “born again,” “born anew,” or “born from above”? Defend your reasoning.

Vine(1) notes that the word born or 'beget' is used by the Apostle John ...“of the gracious act of God in conferring upon those who believe the nature and disposition of 'children' imparting to them spiritual life.”

So entering the Kingdom is when a believer is declared a child of God (John 1:12). Being "born anew" or "from above" is the precise moment when God grants to us eternal life (1 John 5:11,12).

Vine also states that the Greek adverb "anothen" means "again" but may also mean from "above". So the Greek word is ambiguous and may have two meanings.

The Aramaic word however, is not ambiguous according to the notes. Therefore, Nicodemus took what Jesus said as "born again", as Nicodemus questioned how this could happen, as he appeared to think it was some kind of physical act.

Being "born anew" and "born again" are used interchangeably and probably mean the same thing, however "born from above" or "born from God" is another way of translating the text. To back this view, the notes observe that the adverb is used in the context "of above" in other places in the gospel of John (3:31; 19:11, 23). A new birth however, is also a theme in other parts of the new testament (1 Peter 1:23).

To conclude, the question has to be asked, what was the intention of the Apostle John when he used this word? As the notes state perhaps he wanted to convey the double meaning "since the spiritual birth is both 'anew' and 'from above'."

(1) Vines, A Comprehensive Dictionary of the Original Greek Words with their Precise Meanings for English Readers. W. E Vine. (Riverside Press, no date)

Q2. (John 3:3-5) What does “entering the Kingdom” have to do with being “born anew”?

Being born of the Spirit is the "Door" to entering the Kingdom. Jesus is the Door, and being born again by an act of the will in saying "Yes" to His invitation to become legally His, we gain entrance to the Kingdom and a new life in the Spirit!

Which do you think is the best translation here: “born again,” “born anew,” or “born from above”? Defend your reasoning.

I personally like "born again", because it is the concept that Jesus presented to Nicodemus. We were born from our mother's womb the first time, and will die the second death eternally unless we are born again, or born the second time by His Spirit.  For me, born again, speaks more visually of the individual being dead and needing resurrection to a new life.  But all three terms are wonderful..In Him we ARE born again, ARE born anew, and we ARE born from above.....so the term used in sharing with another is whichever is most easily understood by the listener...perhaps all 3 would be appropriate.

Q2. (John 3:3-5) What does "entering the Kingdom" have to do with being "born anew"?

The Kingdom of God is a holy Kingdom, its ruling is that of righteousness, for mankind to enter it, man must be cleansed from all unrighteousness, in other words, to be “born anew” of the Spirit, the man God created to be, right from the beginning, when the LORD God breathed into his nostrils, the breath of life, and man became a living soul, “born from above”.

Q. Which do you think is the best translation here: "born again," "born anew," or "born from above"? Defend your reasoning.

We must be “born again” “anew” from “Above”

To enter the Kingdom means to come to a place where our relationship to God is so strong or close that it takes on something that is entirely new or different from what we were that it can be described as a new birth. And It is spiritual because this new relationship is with God - a spirit.

It is both a birthing again in the sense that it is a re-establishing of our original relationship with God prior to the fall, ie the way it was meant  to be AND it is from above in that the Holy Spirit (from above) is working in our hearts to accomplish this thing. 

What does "entering the kingdom" have to do with being born anew or from above?

We are born spiritually dead so we need to be born anew spiritually to enter the kingdom.

I believe any of the terms, born again, born anew or born from above apply.  Our new birth comes from above and it is the second birth.

God bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

What does “entering the Kingdom” have to do with being “born anew”? Which do you think is the best translation here: “born again,” “born anew,” or “born from above”? Defend your reasoning.

• Jesus intends this to be understood as not a repetition of a previous birth, but clearly a "new" kind of birth brought about by the Spirit.  I like born again.  They all have the same meaning but coming up as a child, I mostly heard minister's say you must be born again.

Q2. (John 3:3-5) What does “entering the Kingdom” have to do with being “born anew”?

Jesus declared Himself to be the Way, the Truth, and the Life and that no one can come to the Father (the King of the Kingdom) except through (faith in) Him.

He also described Himself as the Gate and the Door to the Kingdom. We enter the Kingdom of God by believing in Jesus' name . . . and all that His name represents . . . and by our acknowledgement of His death on our behalf. When we do that, we are born anew, or again, as children of God. This is a Spiritual birth. The Holy Spirit enters us and begins to change or sanctify us and makes us righteous in God's sight. Without the Holy Spirit in us we're not born anew. That's why this phrase has multiple meanings. Jesus often spoke like this, not only in His parables but in many conversations as well.

Which do you think is the best translation here: “born again,” “born anew,” or “born from above”? Defend your reasoning.

They're all valid.

"Born anew" signifies that we are renewed as new creations, as Paul describes the Christian experience.

"Born from above" siginfies that it's God's doing and not something we can accomplish ourselves . . so that makes it equally valid.

I reckon Jesus used the term "born again" to make Nicodemus think. And it worked because Nicodemus didn't understand at first what Jesus meant. Jesus had to clarify his meaning. As I wrote in an earlier answer to yesterday's question, It's a pity we don't have a written record of the entire conversation that night.

Jesus began somewhat ambiguouosly then clarified His statement. He did this purposely to make Nicodemus ponder in his mind the importance of what he'd just been told. Jesus had given Nicodemus the answer to how to gain eternal life! He knew what Nicodemus really wanted to ask Him so He cut straight to the chase without any small talk. Nicodemus was approaching Jesus in a reverent way using Rabbinical protocol and Jesus answered his question before he'd gotten around to asking it. When you think about it, this was something of a prophetic insight miracle in itself . . knowing what someone was going to ask before he asks it.

Q2. (John 3:3-5) 

What does "entering the Kingdom" have to do with being "born anew"? 

Which do you think is the best translation here: "born again," "born anew," or "born from above"? 

Defend your reasoning.

Without being ‘born anew’ one cannot enter the Kingdom. This ‘anew’, as does ‘again’ and ‘from above’, means becoming a new creature in Christ. We read in 2 Cor 5:17, ‘Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!’ So it is a complete spiritual rebirth and cannot mean, for instance, the education or purification of the natural man. The ‘again’ does not signify a repeat of the old birth. To me to be born ‘again/anew/from above’ all mean the same. So, ‘born again’, ‘born anew’, and ‘born from above’ all speak about undergoing a radical change that is a new birth. A new birth which can only come from the grace and power of God. 

Q2. (John 3:3-5) What does "entering the Kingdom" have to do with being "born anew"? Which do you think is the best translation here: "born again," "born anew," or "born from above"? Defend your reasoning.

Man is a descendant of Adam, born after the fall. He can not enter the Kingdom of God and cannot please God nor inherit eternal life until he believes that Jesus is born of God and then accepts Jesus as his personal Saviour. That is what is meant by being born anew. 

To me, "Born again", "born anew" and "born from above" to me mean the same thing in principle, that is, being spiritually changed or renewed by God. 

Q2. (John 3:3-5) What does "entering the Kingdom" have to do with being "born anew"? Which do you think is the best translation here: "born again," "born anew," or "born from above"? Defend your reasoning.

Man is a decen

Q2. (John 3:3-5) What does “entering the Kingdom” have to do with being “born anew”? Which do you think is the best translation here: “born again,” “born anew,” or “born from above”? Defend your reasoning.

Jesus meant that to enter into the Kingdom of God we must be born from above, the rebirth by the Holy Spirit. Jesus said unless we have the faith like little children, we can not enter the Kingdom of God. By believing in Christ and what he has done for us and we turn our life over to him we can be guided by the Holy Spirit, thus we know we are children of God.

I think being born anew would be the best translation, we have come to the point of accepting Christ as our savior and our old spirit which was worldly is now renewed by the new spirit of Christ.      

My personal understanding of being ‘born anew’ or ‘born again’ is an awakening of mature and powerful faith. 

I was brought up in a Catholic church-going family, attended Sunday School and received all the sacraments according to my age.  I did have faith, but it was a childish, ‘taught’ faith, not based on personal experience.  This must be a common experience for most children brought up in Christian families.  It cannot be called ‘born again’.  It is a weak, untested faith.  I don’t think if children die they are ‘going to hell’ but I think they will go to Heaven through their innocence.

As an adult I have had difficult times and as a direct result, religious experiences which changed my life radically.  I was born anew into a new and very focussed religious vocation.  I am still a Catholic, but a very different one to the one I was before my experiences.  From my reading of the Gospels, it is necessary to have a strong faith to enter the Kingdom of God.  This takes a mature rather than a blind faith.  There are many paths to faith but it is often a remarkable spiritual experience, a rebirth. 

I don’t have a real preference for the terminology. I think all three are fine. I worry about tinkering too much with translations and adding our own interpretations, as these can start to contain our own blinkered views, rather than the original..

(John 3:3-5) What does “entering the Kingdom” have to do with being “born anew”? Which do you think is the best translation here: “born again,” “born anew,” or “born from above”? Defend your reasoning. 

To recap Jesus' teaching on the Kingdom of God:

1. The Kingdom is spiritually discerned, that is, you can't see it or grasp it spiritually unless you are "born

from above," unless God enables you to see it.
2. The Kingdom is spiritually entered, that is, you can't enter into the Kingdom, which is a synonym for inheriting eternal life, unless you are changed spiritually.

Unless we are changed spiritually, we are neither able to discern the Kingdom of God nor are we able to enter the Kingdom.

To be changed spiritually, we need to be born again. How? We need to be born of water and of the Spirit. Born of water signified John the Baptist's water baptism - the cleansing, repentance and forgiveness of sins. Born of the Spirit means being imbued with the power of the Holy Spirit which gives and activates the Spiritual gifts in us. 

Therefore, in my opinion, "born again"/"born anew"/"born from above" all point to the same thing - being changed spiritually through the baptism of water and the Holy Spirit. It is only after these acts that we are changed spiritually and thereafter able to discern the Kingdom of God.

I prefer "born anew"...  Accepting the gift of salvation should change who we are- our actions, our attitudes, our beliefs, our lifestyles.  We should see its impact in our everyday lives and actions.  If someone is not changed by salvation, I am not certain someone is really saved.  It changes us... we are no longer just earthly minded.

The kingdom of God is a spiritual kingdom,  it is hidden from unbelievers and is only entered into by those who believe in Jesus Christ, Son of God. Our Sovereign God has given the qualification for entering the kingdom of God and being “born again” is a part of the process that qualifies one for entering the kingdom of God.  Being “born again,” “born anew,” both come from a spiritual birth; from above.

I think it has everything to do with it  born anew bornabove is the same. The difference is what Bible you are reading. You have to be born again to enter the Kingdom of God no matter how you phrase it. It is for ones already given their life to Christ. when you give your life to Christ you have entered into Kingdom as believers.

• 3 weeks later...

You have to be born anew in order to enter the kingdom. The kingdom is spiritual and we have to be born of the spirit. I think that “born anew” is the best translation. Because we have to be born of the spirit to enter the kingdom and in order to do that we have to be born anew.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (John 3:3-5) What does "entering the Kingdom" have to do with being "born anew"? Which do you think is the best translation here: "born again," "born anew," or "born from above"? Defend your reasoning.

The Kingdom is all that God created, it is everything, all matter that man has ever seen touched or used to create other things, it is all God's Kingdom.

The heaven we think of from the Bible is considered to be above; in reality it is everywhere, because God is everywhere and is "in" everything,which is how Jesus changed the weather and walked on water, fed 5,000, etc..

When we are reborn and made new by the energy of God, it is in the now and not from outer space or from some far away place. It is here where we are; He is always here, everywhere, and always will be. People can say it is from above since we know God is higher and more holy that anything we can imagine. And He is also loving, merciful, gentle, patient, easy to love, more and more deeply. Why not tonight, why not forever.

We can guess how Nicodemus felt, but its only a guess. There is not enough detail about what was in his heart and mind; but he did come to bury Jesus in a very respectful way, I believe as much as he could at that moment. 

We also have a choice in embracing this study moment to make it intellectual only, or to use it to meditate deeper in seeking a deeper re-birth right now, with the hope to hold on to it and this new surrender that we all need so desperately. We can't get enough of HIM, but we can try to hold on to more of it. 

Q2. (John 3:3-5)

What does “entering the Kingdom” have to do with being “born anew”?

Those who can enter the Kingdom are those who are born again, spiritually changed.

Which do you think is the best translation here: “born again,” “born anew,” or “born from above”?

Defend your reasoning.

I prepared "born again." It is more confusing but interesting to someone who is already being called by God and receiving his light. Before, you don't know anything about God and his Son Jesus Christ. You don't know that you are a sinner and come short of the glory of God. You don't know that you are a sinner and that the wages of sin is death, and that is spiritual death. So when you die your physical body will be buried six feet under the ground while your spiritual body will go to hell, it will be cast into the lake of fire, eternal damnation. So now spiritually you are dead. But then the mercy and grace of God came to you, he gave you light, he open your understanding that Jesus Christ bore our sin, he died in the cross, he spilled his blood to wash away our sin. and whomsoever believe in him will not perished and will have everlasting life. Now you are "born again." Only God can do that, it "comes from above."

• 2 weeks later...

What does "entering the Kingdom" have to do with being "born anew"?

The Kingdom is spiritual, therefore there must be a transition from the physical to the spiritual.  All things in our life have to be refocused on the spiritual to be a part of the Kingdom.

Which do you think is the best translation here:

born again?  this is a good translation as a different kind of birth must take place.

born anew?  I don't think these words portray what is meant by "entering the Kingdom".

born from above?  This is good.  God must perform the new birth - spiritually.

Defend your reasoning?  God wants us to be free from sin, so our nature must change to be cleansed by the blood of Jesus.

• 2 months later...

We need to be born of the water and Holy Spirit to enter into the kingdom of God. This is a new concept, a new type of birth. I believe that all the translations should be used together. We are given a new chance to be born to God. we are given an opportunity to have a new birth of God. We have received the grace to be adopted children of God.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q2. (John 3:3-5) What does "entering the Kingdom" have to do with being "born anew"?  Which do you think is the best translation here: "born again," "born anew," or "born from above"? Defend your reasoning.

1)  As Jesus explained to Nicodemus, a “spiritual” rebirth through the Holy Spirit is necessary if one hopes to enter the kingdom of God. 

2) As it was explained in the lesson, I believe it could easily assume either meaning.  Nicodemus clearly understood Jesus as relating this “rebirth” to childbirth so to me, the translation “born again” would support that point of view.  In verses 5-7, Jesus also told him that one must be “born of water and the Spirit.  Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.”  Here, in my opinion, Jesus is clearly making reference to a “spiritual birth” and in that context, the definition would be more easily understood to mean “birth from above.”  To me, “born again” and “born anew” are one in the same so now the question is, do I think the best translation would be between one (or both) of those two and “born from above”.  Tough choice, but the “new birth” that Jesus makes reference to is clearly spiritual “rebirth”.  Our death and resurrection into a completely new relationship with God is only possible when we’re baptized into Christ and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  To accomplish this end we must first die (be immersed) and be "reborn" in Christ Jesus so in light of that, to me the best definition would be “reborn”.