JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Hanging Out with Jesus

Q1. (John 3:22) What is the importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples? What is his strategy? How does Jesus make disciples today? Where is our time with the Discipler? How important is your time as a discipler, “hanging out” with people God puts on your heart to disciple?

• 1 month later...

Q1. (John 3:22) What is the importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples?

In parenting I've heard that most of what children learn is "caught" rather than "taught". Jesus spending time with the disciples was just that...giving them life lessons through intimate relationship where they not only heard His teaching, but "caught" His teaching through observing Him in every possible situation and circumstance and through living and absorbing His love. 

What is his strategy?

Relationship building. "On the job" training. Interaction with opportunities to ask questions and have conversation. Giving them responsibility in practicing what they were learning. Living with them as friends and family. Sharing all that He was given with them. Experiencing Him as God-man as they witnessed His miracles. Witnessing Him as fully man-God as they ate together, laughed together, walked dusty roads together, experienced not having food with them and eating the wheat stalks on the roadside....which was demonstration that He is the Person of Grace who fulfilled the Law, and was not slavish to keeping the man made law the priests imposed on the people, which accused them of "working on the Sabbath", because they picked the grain. He was their mentor as well as their master.

How does Jesus make disciples today?

We (believers) have been given that privilege and responsibility.

Where is our time with the Discipler?

Time spent alone with Him...experiencing His love, comfort, training, correction when needed, meditating on His Word, in prayer...spending more time listening than talking. Inviting Him into our daily routines and activities...stopping to enjoy His creation and telling Him how beautiful it is and He is...enjoying Him. . Time worshipping Him alone as well as corporately with others of His children. Thankfulness for the gifts as well as for the trials.( "Be Thankful and tell Him so". Ps 100.)

How important is your time as a discipler, “hanging out” with people God puts on your heart to disciple?

It is key to building the Kingdom. I've only had the privilege once of a full on discipler role with a written study, one on one with a baby Christian who came to the church seeking, and the pastor "gave her to me" to disciple. It was amazing, as we met each week with a study for that purpose. (I wish I'd known about Pastor Wilson's study for discipling, but that was years ago before computers) Now it's more happenstance, often by phone....praying with a new believer, or just hanging out and having a day at the beach, but discipling goes on unconsciously. I'm discipled also by hanging out with Christian friends!

Our son has come home for a season to "re-boot" after failures, and I'm finding that the purpose is discipleship as well as to comfort and just loving on him.....in a fun and relaxed way. He's mentioned being given grace (whereas when he was growing up we tended to be legalistic due to poor teaching at church). A second chance at parenting and a fresh start for him!   As we go to pick wild blackberries, or to the store, or just talking, our conversation drifts to the Lord and His goodness and love...sometimes about specifics in the Bible. It's a joy to hear his questions, and know that now he really wants the answers. He's always observing, and is making changes in the way he acts and speaks...he's more helpful, more thoughtful. I think it's much like the way Jesus discipled His own while on the earth....just living the life daily,  in the Spirit...Who is really the One discipling.

Q1. (John 3:22) What is the importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples?

Jesus was aware that time was precious and made the most of his short life while in the world with his disciples. He did not want the fact that he was the Christ, and things he did, to be broadcast to all, lest he be flooded with people. That would make his ministry difficult (Matthew 16:20).

:

What is his strategy?

Jesus made the most of every situation, in order to relate to specific people: Lazerus and his sisters- Mary and Martha (John 11), Nicodemus (John 3), the woman at the well (John 4:7), the official (John 4:49), Zacchaeus (Luke 9:5)- to name a few; and of course, each of his disciples. His ministry was relational.

He makes disciples today by influencing people through the Holy Spirit, and by using His people to influence others also. He even reaches people through his creation-(Romans 1:20)

Where is our time with the Discipler? How important is your time as a discipler, "hanging out" with people God puts on your heart to disciple?

Paul exhorts us, "make(ing) the most of time as the days are evil" (Ephesians 5:16). I don't have much time, as I work quite a few hours each week to make a crust, however Iv'e come to the conclusion that whatever I am doing or wherever I am, God can use me to influence people for Him (1Corinthians 10:31). I am not perfect and make lots of mistakes (1 John 1:8, 9). I also go to church whenever I can (Hebrews 10:25).

The importance of spending time with the Master is of great importance in order for a disciple to learn, it is important that His students understand what it really means to be a disciple of the Messiah, the path the disciples were about to walk was not going to be an easy wide road, it would be a road that would become more narrow as they walked, and if not prepared to be a disciple, they will eventually not want to walk the walk, therefore, Jesus was preparing them, teaching them how important a life of obedience is, in other words, to practice what they believe, for the Scriptures teach us, “many will become weak and will fall away”.

Q. What is his strategy?

His strategy is that the disciples will be “WELL” prepared so they will be able and ready to stand strong when adversities do come their way, it is time well spent when the disciple soaks in this knowledge and come to the reality of what is meant by to “believe” - To be a believer, a disciple of Christ does not mean that of “head knowledge”, to “believe” is the willing act of stripping away of sin of “self rule” that covered the heart, circumcising it, leaving it vulnerable to the things of God as we offer ourselves up to God to teach us the things we must know to be a true disciple of the Messiah

Q1. (John 3:22) What is the importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples? What is his strategy?

Jesus was modelling behavior and attitudes to others the whole time He was with His disciples. Prior to His coming all they had was the Law of Moses, which was pretty sterile.

He doesn't; that's our job. He lives and works through human agents.

At Church and in private Bible study.

How important is your time as a discipler, “hanging out” with people God puts on your heart to disciple?

I think it's very important. Too many people "recruit" others to Christ and then leave them to their own devices almost the same week. No wonder so many fall away.

What was the importance of Jesus spending time with His disciples?  To be a good disciple requires time by the teacher, to be immersed in His daily life and thought process to learn how the master thinks and what he does.  To get to know him in all ways.  Those who want to spend time with Jesus find that Jesus wants to spend time with them.

His strategy was to make strong, godly disciples who could spread the good news and disciple others.  As Jesus desired to have his disciples with Him so do His disciplers need to spend time with those they desire to disciple to bear good fruit for God's kingdom.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

What is the importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples? What is his strategy?

1.  To learn how he dealt with people.   How he engaged needy people, how he prayed for them, how he touched them and how He healed them.  His strategy was for them to see his love in action so they would know how to show love and treat the people.

2.  Jesus makes disciples today through us. 

Where is our time with the Discipler? How important is your time as a discipler, “hanging out” with people God puts on your heart to disciple?    

3.  We must set aside quiet time to be with Jesus.  My time with the Discipler is when I study his word, pray and just be still to listen to what he has to say.  It is very important to hang out with people God put on our heart to disciple because that is what he did and it is a way to bring them to Christ.    

Hello,

I think the most important thing that Jesus made was use him as an example.
I believe Jesus talked with his disciples in many circunstancias, but his greatest teaching was his example. Sometimes We don't need to talk a lot, just being a good example it's enough...

We need good examples for these actual days.

Q1. (John 3:22) 

What is the importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples? 

What is his strategy? 

How important is your time as a discipler, "hanging out" with people God puts on your heart to disciple?

What a wonderful opportunity the disciples had of getting to know our Saviour intimately. There was so much to learn and observe, so Jesus needed time to teach and show His disciples about His ministry, and to give them certain responsibilities. Some commentators say this period in Judea, could have been several months long. We are fortunate in having His Word and the Holy Spirit to help us. Once we have been born again we cannot continue to sin as a habit or a pattern of life. The power of the new spiritual life within us keeps us from yielding to a life of sin. We start to view all things with the Lord Jesus in mind. This love of Jesus only comes about through applied Bible truth. It is the time we spend with Him that we also learn the Word of God, God’s thoughts, and hear God’s Words. Just like those early disciples, the closer our relationship with Jesus, the more we mature spiritually. We read in Colossians 3:15-17, “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

Q1. (John 3:22) What is the importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples? What is his strategy? How does Jesus make disciples today? Where is our time with the Discipler? How important is your time as a discipler, “hanging out” with people God puts on your heart to disciple?

The importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples was to coach them for their ministries. To have them witness his miracles and learn from his teachings.

The strategy for this time was to instruct them in doing things for people, teaching them to be ready at all times to share the word of God with all people.

To be a disciple for Christ today we must love and follow him and share his word with others.

Our time with the descipler is spent reading Gods word and through prayer that he may fill us with his spirit and enabling us to witness for him. It is very important  that we spend time in praying to the Lord, this is where we get to spend premium with him and allow him to speck to us.

As a disciple it is important that we spend time and hang out with people so we can share the word of God with them and train them to be disciples. It is important that help build the faith of those who have come to know the Lord.  

It was very important for Jesus to spend time with his disciples.  They were complete novices and were still expecting him to be a Messiah in a very material sense.  By spending time with them he was demonstrating not only his teachings but also his love.  His strategy was one of love and togetherness, in other words ‘agape’.  We are taught by Jesus’s teachings to love and serve each other.  We make disciples when we demonstrate this teaching ourselves.  Our time with the Discipler is in prayer and meditation as well as in reading the Gospels.  I was taught Christian Meditation, which is a very good way in which to come close to Jesus as well as to unwind. 

On first reading this question I thought it was irrelevant to me as I am not a church leader, but thinking about it I realise that this is not the case.  In fact my time as a discipler is central to my life as I work full time as a volunteer in an orphanage.  The children come to me for education but also for individual togetherness and motherly love.  I also teach them from the Bible.  It is a very fulfilling life and I wouldn’t change it for the world.

(John 3:22) What is the importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples? What is his strategy? How does Jesus make disciples today? Where is our time with the Discipler? How important is your time as a discipler, “hanging out” with people God puts on your heart to disciple? 

It was important for Jesus to spend time with his disciples so that they may observe His love for us and His ministry on earth. Jesus' strategy is - Follow me, Observe me, Learn my way, Assist me and then Go out and do as I do. Now that Jesus is at the right hand of the Father, our time with Him is during our quiet time and when we are reading God's word. It is important for the Discipler to spend time with the Disciple so that they can build a relationship and each may know the other's heart. It is critical for the Disciple to not only hear from the Discipler but also to see the Discipler in action. 

• 2 weeks later...

The importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples was deliberate.  Jesus wanted to pour into His disciples allthat He could, of Himself, sio that they could carry on the work of spreading the Gospel to the ends of the earth.  Jesus' strategy in doing this was to have them in His presence as often as possible.  He taught of the Kingdom of God again and again, teaching them all that they should teach others concerning the Kingdom of God. Today, Jesus uses other disciples to partner with Him in disciple-making.  We spend time with the Discipler in our time of prayer, fellowship, reading of the Word of God and in worship.  Time with the Discipler is most important and time with those we disciple is very important to be able to share with them as God Himself would have us.

It was so important to teach his disciples all He could. He knew they were going to carrying on when He left this earth. His strategy was to fill them with so much knowledge that they could go out and make disciples and teach and preach his word.

Just as He did in John's day. He gives us his word to read and study. He calls preachers to preach. He tells us in his word to feed my people. We do this by telling others about what Jesus did for me He will do for you

Our time with the Discipler is when we go to worship at church when we do our bible study,when we pray. The greatest thing is our time with the Discipler can be anytime  thanks to our Lord and Saviour giving his Son so we can turn to the Almighty at anytime.

It is very important to me to help ones that are in need. You may be with people that don't know Jesus as their Saviour this is the time to share Jesus Christ as He would do for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (John 3:22) What is the importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples? What is his strategy? How does Jesus make disciples today? Where is our time with the Discipler? How important is your time as a discipler, "hanging out" with people God puts on your heart to disciple?

Jesus spent time the disciples so that they will hear, see and do the things he tells them. To learn by example.

It is essential for a discipler to have ample time with the disciple for proper training. 

The importance of the disciples spending time with Jesus is that they were able to become more acquainted with Him. They would know His every move and how to handle certain situations. The way that Jesus makes disciples today is that we are sent out to do that. So in order to be a good disciple we have spent time in the bible to learn about Jesus.

It is very important to spend time with those who have been put in your path and just hang-out with them.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (John 3:22)

What is the importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples?

It is very important to be with someone and get to know each other better and intimately.

What is his strategy?

He personally went to them, he personally called them, he humbled/leveled himself to them and showed them how he engage with the needy people.

He calls them and let them follow him. He let them listen and teach them in his preaching. He let them watch and observed, how to pray. He taught them to be a minister and let them know his love in action. He want us to use his ways in all kinds of situations were facing.

Out time with the Discipler is all the time. We are to exercise all we’ve learned to Him and also make disciples under his name.

How important is your time as a discipler, "hanging out" with people God puts on your heart to disciple?

My time is God’s time, whatever I do and all the things I do is to glorify God. So I’m hanging out with someone to make them the follower of Christ. Only God can put it into my heart according to his own will and purpose.

• 3 weeks later...

The importance of Jesus spending time with His disciples is to get to know them intimately.

His strategy was to have them follow Him and watch Him.

Jesus makes disciples today by having believers in Him share their faith with others.

Our time with the Discipler is when we take to to read the bible and pray.

My time as a discipler is important to me. The past 10+ years the Lord has led me into children's ministry.

I work as a leader in Awana at my church as well as help teach children's church about once every 4 to 6 weeks.

• 2 months later...

Jesus knew that the only way the disciples could grasp what He was teaching was to with Him and to learn from Him. Jesus needed to give good examples for them. Today, we spend time with Jesus through the bible. We need to not only read the words but to meditate on them and make them a part of us. In this way, we too are learning from Jesus directly. I find that God will put people in my path to help me spread His word. I find that people will automatically start to talk to me about concerns that they may have. I am able to share God's hope and faith and love in their lives. I might just be the one to show them that they are not alone and that someone does care for them. I just might be able to put a smile on their face. I always try to let my actions speak louder than my words.

• 1 month later...

This was the way Jesus was teaching them to be disciples and so they could continue to spread His word and they could make disciples.

Through the Holy Spirit, reading the Bible and in prayer. 

More people come to God through friends, neighbors etc.. So it's very important to be with people so they can observe you & see how you live your life and it gives you opportunity to spiritual discussions & not be push it on them.  

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (John 3:22) What is the importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples? What is his strategy? How does Jesus make disciples today? Where is our time with the Discipler? How important is your time as a discipler, "hanging out" with people God puts on your heart to disciple?

1) It was important that He spent time with His disciples because He knew full-well that their task was to living holy lives themselves and to bring even more disciples to Him after He was gone.  He knew that He had to spend as much time as He could teaching them and preparing them so that they would know beyond a shadow of a doubt how to use the skills and gifts that God had provided them.  2) His strategy was to devote time to train and empower His disciples to do the things that He needed them to do after He was gone.  He understood that the success of His ministry would not only be measured by the things that He did and said while He was with them but by what they would ultimately achieve after He was gone.  He did this by keeping them close.  He wanted them to have an intimate relationship with him so they would have a clearer vision of the tasks that lay ahead.  3) How does He make disciples today?  Well He told us in His own words in John 8:31 (NKJV): “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.”  His words are still with us today and they’re still just as valid today they were two-thousand years ago.  4) Our time with Him is through our study, our prayers and in our service to others by using our own unique God-given gifts.  4) Our words and deeds should always positively reflect what Jesus can do in our lives. Spending time with the people that He puts in our lives should always be used showing and teaching them His way.  We need to set the example for others; our actions and our words should always positively reflect what Jesus has done in our lives.  We should ALWAYS be willing to pray for them, with them and ultimately to teach them to pray themselves.  When God puts people in our lives, He does so for a reason and our ultimate goal should be to make believers of them; believers whose lives reflect commitment to and love for the Lord.

Q1. (John 3:22) What is the importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples? What is his strategy? How does Jesus make disciples today? Where is our time with the Discipler? How important is your time as a discipler, "hanging out" with people God puts on your heart to disciple?

The importance is to teach then His way. It takes listening to the teachings the Hoover and over so it Will plant in their entire body,mine, and spirit.I hang out with Jesus in His Words by reading, studying and pray for His Spirit for understanding.

1. (John 3:22) What is the importance of Jesus spending time with his disciples? What is his strategy? How does Jesus make disciples today? Where is our time with the Discipler? How important is your time as a discipler, "hanging out" with people God puts on your heart to disciple?

Jesus was teaching them over and over so His Words will stick in t heir heart and mind. Repeating the Kingdom of Heaven is like this,my Father doesn't want to loose one sheep. Etc. Hanging out with Jesus Christ help them to learn the truth in God's Word. I talk with people I run into everyday.

• 5 months later...

Jesus followed the pattern of all rabbis of that day. Students left their homes and families to live and travel with their teacher for several years. They wanted to know all the rabbi knew about God and how to interpret and obey the Torah. They studied his character and interaction with people as much as they did his knowledge of the Scriptures. They memorized his words and imitated his lifestyle. The goal was to follow in his steps and become as much like their rabbi as possible in learning to walk with God. Of course, this particular group of disciples studied with THE Rabbi.

One interesting thing about Jesus and His disciples is that they were not like the usual group a rabbi would mentor. Most students requested the opportunity to study with a particular teacher, and the rabbi would choose disciples who excelled with extended education and knowledge of the Scriptures, with passion and drive, with a willingness to sacrifice self. But these disciples didn't seek Jesus, He sought them from small villages and rural unimpressive places. He chose ordinary "uneducated" people other rabbis would never even consider and began with “raw material”. I love this because it describes me! Jesus doesn't choose us on the basis of how great we are, but on the basis of how great He is.

The only way to know the rabbi's heart and learn what the rabbi knows is to spend time with him, lots of time. Even though the disciples lived and traveled with Jesus, they still needed frequent opportunities to spend private time with Him away from the distractions and crowds of people. In those times, they built strong bonds of love and friendship, becoming a family with common goals higher than those as individuals, learning to share everything and depend on each other. And they needed time away from the stress and demands of ministry, which were far greater for this group of men because of who their rabbi was. Everywhere they went people thronged to see and hear Jesus, so they needed time away from the constant pressure. And they got to know Jesus in an intimate way. In Him, the disciples saw first-hand what the Word of God looks like as it is lived out in practical life.

Today, Jesus makes disciples through the ministry of His Holy Spirit. This is our primary Comforter, Guide,Helper, and Teacher who uses the Word of Scripture to encourage, correct, inspire, and lead us in becoming more and more like Christ Himself. We have to stay in the Word and maintain open communication, humbling ourselves in seeking to know The Rabbi and His example of walking with God.

And then, we are called as partners in helping each other mature as disciples. There have been two people in my life who made such impact in my Christian walk and growth because they invested time in mentoring me, not in a structured way but in the day-to-day, “hanging out” with each other doing things that provided opportunity for long talks, encouragement, correction, and wise advice. God calls us to community, never to isolation. As more mature Christians, we have a responsibility to come along side of the “babies” and invest in their walk with God.

• 1 year later...

Jesus wants to spend time with the disciples in order to facilitate their training and education. Jesus wanted his disciples to walk with Him, watch Him, learn from Him, be His apprentices. But most importantly, listen to Him and talk With Him. Jesus makes disciples today by the same method. To become a disciple one must spend time with Jesus.  This means quiet time, prayer, study time, and active time. This time must become a big part of our daily life. The time spent as a discipler is very important just as it was for Jesus and the apostles.