JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Love and Wrath

• 1 month later...

Q5. (John 3:36) Is it possible to believe in God’s love and God’s wrath at the same time?

Yes, because God is love, and He is also just. His wrath however was poured out upon Jesus on the cross so that I will never experience it. When Jesus cried "It Is Finished"...he declared that sin had been punished and the penalty had been meted out on  the innocent, perfect Lamb Of God.

God's wrath will only be poured out upon nations and individuals who mistreat Israel, and who reject His gift of pardon and forgiveness purchased for them on the cross.

How does God’s justice allow salvation, when what we deserve is punishment for our sin and unbelief?

Justice requires that sin be punished. His love opens the door to sinners who've received Jesus' Divine tradeoff. He took all of my sin past, present and future, punished by the Father's wrath upon Himself and in exchange gave me His holiness, wrapping me in His glorious robe of Righteousness forever. He took upon Himself what I deserve to give me what I don't deserve and could never earn....His Grace!

(Hint: the “substitutionary atonement.”)

Is it possible to believe in God’s love and God’s wrath at the same time?

At the time of the 'fall' mankind was seperated from God. It was then that sin came into the world (Genesis 3:24, Romans 5:12)

But God doesn't want anyone to perish (John 3:16).

The consequence of sin is clearly spelt out in the bible (Romans 6:23), so if anyone does not choose Christ they will suffer the consequences (John 3:18).

How does God’s justice allow salvation, when what we deserve is punishment for our sin and unbelief? (Hint: the “substitutionary atonement.”)

Jesus Christ God's son took the punishment for our sin. God gave his Son so that we could be set free from the penalty of sin

Romans 5:8 But God proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us.

2 Peter 3:9. The Lord is not slow about his promise, as some think of slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish, but all to come to repentance.

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him." (3:36)

Is it possible to believe in God's love and God's wrath at the same time?  How does God's justice allow salvation, when what we deserve is punishment for our sin and unbelief.

Yes.  God provided the perfect way to solve the differences between the two by sending His Son Jesus our Lord and Savior to suffer for the crimes of humanity (high crimes and misdemeanors) and redeem us from the kingdom of darkness and brings into the Kingdom of His Son (Col 1:13).  Those who accept His gift of love (the substitutionary atonement on the cross) will be spared God's wrath.  Those who reject the gift or price His Son paid  will suffer God's wrath for all eternity.

Thank you Jesus from the bottom of my heart.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26 

Q5. (John 3:36) 

Is it possible to believe in God's love and God's wrath at the same time? 

How does God's justice allow salvation, when what we deserve is punishment for our sin and unbelief? 

(Hint: the "substitutionary atonement.")

I know from Rom 3:23, that we have all sinned and from Rom 6:23, that therefore, we all deserve only death. Yet out of His love, grace, and mercy, He has saved us by sending His Son to die for all the sins of those who believe in Jesus – for sins, past, present and future. We can be grateful that our God hates sin. If not, He would not be worthy of our worship. In the same way, He would not be worthy of our worship if He did not carry out punishment so that ultimately justice will prevail. As a result of God’s righteousness, it is necessary that He treat people according to what they deserve. Although our sin only deserves immediate punishment, He is patient in not punishing us at once, but rather He gives us a chance to repent and turn to Jesus. We note that both patience and wrath are mentioned in Psalm 103:8-9 -  ‘The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will he harbour his anger for ever’. Therefore as a Christian we should feel no fear of God’s wrath, but rather rejoice in the fact that we are sinners saved by grace. To think, My Lord and Saviour Jesus died in my place, for my sins. He paid the penalty of death for my sins!!! Thank You Lord Jesus!! 

Is it possible to believe in God’s love and God’s wrath at the same time? How does God’s justice allow salvation, when what we deserve is punishment for our sin and unbelief? (Hint: the “substitutionary atonement.”)    

• Yes!  God loves us and don't want us to perish. That is why he is making it known that he who believes in him will have eternal life and he that doesn't wrath will remain on him.  We have a choice to make.  His Grace an Mercy gives us every opportunity to turn to him. 

Q5. (John 3:36) Is it possible to believe in God’s love and God’s wrath at the same time? How does God’s justice allow salvation, when what we deserve is punishment for our sin and unbelief? (Hint: the “substitutionary atonement.”)

I think it is impossible to truly believe in God's love and not worry about His wrath. Some believe that a God of love would not destroy man or send him to eternal damnation. There are many preachers who will not discuss sin in our lives, only that God wants us to be happy and pour out His promises upon us. They teach that he wants us successful with no trails or tribulations. Nowhere in the bible does the Lord say we will not suffer, because the world hated Him first and they will hate us also.

Gods punishment for sin is His wrath, sin separates us from the Lord, and He will not tolerate sin because He is a Holy God. Gods' only Son Jesus Christ, became man, bore our sin's, suffered was crucified died and was buried and rose from the dead on the third day. He was the substitution atonement for our sin's. All who believe in Christ and what He has done for us will be spared Gods wrath.        

I think the point of ‘the wrath of God’ is the rejection of His Son and His message of love for us.  What does rejection feel like?  When we are rejected we are angry and badly hurt, especially when we love that person very much.  I have had that experience with my own children, and it was extremely traumatic, although by the grace of God I have now reached a point where I have forgiven them.  God created us with tender love, each one of us individually, and we sin against Him.  We humans have had chance after chance offered to us by a Father who loves us and forgives us so much.  He must be so frustrated with us all. 

There are those who have sinned seriously but repent and struggle hard against their previous sinful lives.  As described in the parable of the Prodigal Son, God welcomes repentant sinners home with delight.  Sincere repentance is the key to salvation.  He is a loving God who really wants the best for His children. 

There are others who turn a consistently deaf ear to their consciences and to God’s call.  There must come a point where He must judge and reject.  This is a terrible thought when we ourselves love those people and pray that they will have a ‘Damascus moment’.

God sacrificed His own Son for the sins of the world. What more powerful love can there be?  If we do not have faith in Christ in spite of all His huge love for us, we are as bad as those that crucified Him.  Most Christians, including me, come from gentile ancestry and would never have heard the Good News if He had not taken that action.  There is a danger with the substitutionary atonement theology that it can be taken to mean that we are all redeemed already.  I do not believe that there is any room for complacency.  As Jesus said, the way to Eternal Life is narrow, but the way to hell is broad.

Q5. (John 3:36) Is it possible to believe in God's love and God's wrath at the same time?

Without God’s “wrath” his “judgment” there would be no need for his “love” his “mercy” – This is an important part of knowing God and what happened in the garden of Eden, the workings of the Cross, the giving of the Holy Spirit, God’s word that enlightens us on how to please and to love the Father is by keeping his commandments; A people who have been touched by God are those who display ”fruits of the Spirit” “obedience”, “good works” a people who have been reconciled to God through His Son are called to be a “holy people” – (not a perfect people, and for that I am most thankful)

Q. How does God's justice allow salvation, when what we deserve is punishment for our sin and unbelief?

The world is subject to condemnation and in the end will have its sinfulness condemned, Jesus did not come the first time to condemn the world, he came to bring salvation, to bring the world into covenant with his Father, something the world did not deserve, a world that once felt the judgment of God when he sent the flood; Those who have heard and refuse to put their trust in God’s Son, are really turning their back on God and are already judged, the awesome love of God was revealed when the Father allowed his Son to come and to offer up to the world that of “Eternal Life” in place of God’s wrath.

Q5. (John 3:36) Is it possible to believe in God's love and God's wrath at the same time? How does God's justice allow salvation, when what we deserve is punishment for our sin and unbelief? (Hint: the "substitutionary atonement.")

Yes,

God has shown his wrath even to Jesus on the cross when Jesus had a moment when he felt forsaken to pay for us. We know that if we really believe and really repent we believe, we get His love and eternal salvation, from Jesus' atonement.  It is that simply if we really repent and believe, He saves us and puts us on a new path to a better life through pray and service to others.

(John 3:36) Is it possible to believe in God’s love and God’s wrath at the same time? How does God’s justice allow salvation, when what we deserve is punishment for our sin and unbelief? (Hint: the “substitutionary atonement.”)

Yes it is possible to believe both in God's love and wrath. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

But there is also that aspect that God hates sin and will pour out his wrath on sinners and unbelievers. Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for

God's wrath remains on him." (John 3:36)

Jesus died on the cross to take away our sins. Christ died as a substitute for our sins and made atonement for us, so that we may live. Hallelujah!

• 2 weeks later...

Q5. (John 3:36) Is it possible to believe in God’s love and God’s wrath at the same time? How does God’s justice allow salvation, when what we deserve is punishment for our sin and unbelief? (Hint: the “substitutionary atonement.”)

Oh yes, it is possible to believe in God’s love and God’s wrath at the same time.  The New Testament speaks over and over of the wrath of God which will be experienced by those who disobey Him and those who chose not to accept Jesus as His son,  One of these verses is , "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness." (Romans 1:18).  Our salvation is secured when we accept jesus as the Son of God and obey his commandments. The death of Jesus has atoned for our sin.  The wrath of God, eternal punishment, is a person's destiny without Jesus' life.

Q5. (John 3:36) Is it possible to believe in God's love and God's wrath at the same time? How does God's justice allow salvation, when what we deserve is punishment for our sin and unbelief? (Hint: the "substitutionary atonement.")

This is not a complicated thing to say YES. The real answer is Jesus' sacrifice of his life for each of us, the atonement. We just need to believe and we are saved John 3:16!

I'm hopeless and full of sin, but trying to apply John 15, Jesus said "...remain in me... I wll remain in you.... your joy will be complete..."

This is our hope on earth in this life, to surrender and let Him use us at any moment.

Yes it is possible to believe Gods love and wrath at the same. We have a loving God that sent his son to the cross so we would not endure His wrath. Jesus said that those who believe in him have everlasting life 

To avoid Gods wrath we decide to whom we live for. when we give our life to Christ we have decided to follow Jesus. God wants us to choose him and life. The wrath of God is Gods final judgement and rejection

of the sinner. I am so happy I follow Jesus the world behind me the cross before me

Indecision is a fatal decision.

Yes, it is possible to believe in God's love and Go's wrath at the same time. God loves us but his wrath is upon any one who does not believe and accepts the Lord Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.

Our sin makes us qualify for punishment. But God's love makes a way of escape through the Lord Jesus Christ's payment for our sin on the cross. Our punishment is thus waived away when we believe in this salvation package and accept the Lord Jesus Christ as our Saviour. He has paid in full with blood, praise the Lord.

It is not impossible to believe in God’s love and God’s wrath at the same time. We are built in the same way. There are things and people that we love and then there are things and people that aren’t pleasant to be around. God’s justice allows for salvation when we believe that Jesus Christ died for our sins. Without that we would be punished because God can’t stand to be around evil.

• 1 month later...

Q5. (John 3:36)

Is it possible to believe in God’s love and God’s wrath at the same time?

Yes it is possible because you must know how God loves you and what would happen to those who don't love by the Lord

How does God’s justice allow salvation, when what we deserve is punishment for our sin and unbelief?(Hint: the “substitutionary atonement.”)

for God so love the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever would believe in him should not perish and have everlasting life.

• 3 weeks later...

It is possible to believe in God's love and God's wrath at the same time because, it is His wrath that causes Him to hate sin, yet it was His love that caused Him to send a Savior that we may be freed from sin's punishment.

God's justice allows salvation when we deserve punishment for our sin and unbelief because Christ took our punishment for us by dying on the cross.

• 3 weeks later...

1 Jesus says that those who believe in him have (not will have) eternal life. To receive eternal life is to join in God’s life, which by nature is eternal. Thus, eternal life begins at the moment of spiritual rebirth.

2 John, the author of this Gospel, has been demonstrating that Jesus is the true Son of God. Jesus sets before us the greatest choice in life. We are responsible to decide today whom we will obey (Joshua 24:15), and God wants us to choose him and life (Deuteronomy 30:15-20). The wrath of God is God’s final judgment and rejection of the sinner. To put off the choice is to choose not to follow Christ. Indecision is a fatal decision.

• 2 months later...

I believe that you cannot have love without wrath. You need to have a set of rules to live by. And you need to lovingly follow them. You need to realize that there are consequenses to all your actions. Jesus died so that we do not have to. However, we were given a list of parameters to live our lives by. If we do not live by these rules, we will forgo our salvation and we will end up in eternal death.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q5. (John 3:36) Is it possible to believe in God's love and God's wrath at the same time? How does God's justice allow salvation, when what we deserve is punishment for our sin and unbelief? (Hint: the "substitutionary atonement.")

We love our children but we can also be angry with them and punish them for their misdeeds.  Because we do doesn’t mean that we love them any less so in that context love and wrath certainly do co-exist.  In the same way, God loves us all but His wrath will deliver punishment on the unrepentant sinner but that doesn’t mean that He loves them any less. As a sign of His great love He’s promised that if we repent, be baptized and accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior that He will forgive our sins.  God gave His only son as a sign of the great love that He has for all of His people.  Christ was the spotless and perfect sacrifice given for sinners and He bore the wrath that we deserve.  God hates sin and those who accept Christ as their Lord and Savior will have those sins washed away but for those who reject Him God’s wrath will be loosed upon them on judgment day.

• 6 months later...

It is completely possible to believe in God's love and God's wrath at the same time. It is because of His love that He has warned of His wrath against all sin and rebellion, and He has taken the only step that could make it possible to redeem and deliver us from that wrath. The Father sent His own Son to rescue us from the day when His full and furious wrath will be poured out on all unrighteousness without reservation.

When Jesus fulfilled all the Law and satisfied every judgment of all violations of that Law in dying on the cross, He became our atonement by standing in our deserved place of judgment as our substitute. In taking our punishment of death and then being raised back to life by the Father because of His perfection of atonement, He became Salvation for the world. Now, every person who believes on who He is, all that He has said, and what He has done for us has been given the sealed promise of eternal life. Jesus Christ is the evidence of God's love, a perfect love that desires all to believe in the Son who has already borne the wrath of God against sin so that the Father can extend the gift of eternal life. Because of His immutable justice, He not only will reward such faith, He will allow the punishment and wrath against those who reject the Son to stand. I'm sure it will be with a grieving heart that the Father will execute His judgments against them.

• 2 years later...

I believe in God’s love and I also believe in his wrath. We have an all loving God but we also have a righteous God and He doesn’t just let anyone into heaven. He only lets those who believe in Jesus others will suffer his wrath. God justifies our salvation because He give his only begotten God for our sins.

• 7 months later...

Q5. (John 3:36) Is it possible to believe in God's love and God's wrath at the same time? How does God's justice allow salvation, when what we deserve is punishment for our sin and unbelief? (Hint: the "substitutionary atonement.")

Yes it is because God is both of God of love and wrath. The very fact God’s Son died for us makes it possible for us to be able to come to Him in faith and pray to Him about our petitions.