JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Gift of God

Note: Believing Christians disagree about some of these issues. Be gentle and loving as you respond to one another.

Q3. (John 4:9-15) What does the “gift of God” and the “living water” (4:9) refer to? What does receiving this gift result in (4:14)? Does this gift differ from or is another way of saying the “baptism with the Spirit” that John the Baptist spoke about in 1:33?

• 2 months later...

Q3. (John 4:9-15) What does the "gift of God" and the "living water" (4:9) refer to? What does receiving this gift result in (4:14)? Does this gift differ from or is another way of saying the "baptism with the Spirit" that John the Baptist spoke about in 1:33?

The gift is the arrival of the Holy Spirit, to bring us into truth on all things in our life, to the extent we are willing and open minded to a better way through Christ and the Spirit of the Triune God. 

It can and will happen to anyone at God's chosen moment, to help us accept the gift and be willing to draw closer to God, to grow to depend more and more and to trust more and more in our all powerful, all knowing eternal, loving God. in this moment it would seem foolish to do it any other way. The world awaits us all after we do this study to distract and pull us away form God. Heaven help us, so we try to remain prayerful and close to Him. We ask God for the will and strength to do His bidding, the next right thing in any moment. He is not asking too much, just trust, trust, trust, in Him and let the "gift lead us."

Note: Believing Christians disagree about some of these issues. Be gentle and loving as you respond to one another.

Q3. (John 4:9-15) What does the “gift of God” and the “living water” (4:9) refer to?

I believe the Gift of God is Salvation through Jesus death and Resurrection, and the living water is the indwelling Holy Spirit of God Who takes up residence in us at the point of Salvation. ("Living" in that He never leaves us nor forsakes us, and flows out of us to others.)

What does receiving this gift result in (4:14)?

A new life in Christ now and continually throughout eternity. (Having passed from death to life)

Does this gift differ from or is another way of saying the “baptism with the Spirit” that John the Baptist spoke about in 1:33?

I can only speak of my own experience. The Holy Spirit came to live in me at Salvation and confirmed to me that I am God's child. Then there was a specific baptism in the Holy Spirit a year or so later when I received a prayer language and the empowering to be His witness without fear or timidity. There have also been a number of "fillings" along the way...  (I heard this explanation one time:" At salvation, the Holy Spirit baptized me into Jesus. The baptism is when Jesus immersed me fully in the Holy Spirit") That matches my own experience. Others may have had a different experience.

What does the “gift of God” and the “living water” (4:9) refer to?

What does receiving this gift result in (4:14)? Does this gift differ from or is another way of saying the “baptism with the Spirit” that John the Baptist spoke about in 1:33?        

• A gift is something that is freely given. "Gift of God" here means eternal life thru Jesus Christ.  The "living water" is the Holy Spirit that dwells within believers.  I think that this gift is another way of saying the "baptism with the Spirit". 

(John 4:9-15) What does the “gift of God” and the “living water” (4:9) refer to?

The gift of God refers to eternal life. The living water in the context of the gospel of John refers to the Holy Spirit, although the reference to water in Ephesians 5:26 refers to the (rhema) word and its clensing effect in one's life. The living water refers to the Holy Spirit and eternal life (John 4:14).

Jesus contrasts that whoever draws of the water from the well will thirst again, and whoever receives the water that he gives will never again thirst. Jesus then says that the water that he gives will become a spring of water "welling up" to the gift of eternal life. His water is eternal and satisfying. The gift is also the Holy Spirit which indwells us at the moment of salvation when Christ is received (John 1:12).

Does this gift differ from or is another way of saying the “baptism with the Spirit” that John the Baptist spoke about in 1:33?

This will always be a topic of contention in the church. At the moment I perceive that I am somewhere in the middle ragarding this topic. I do not prescribe to Penticostalism however I accept that there are scriptures to back up the view that a greater experience of the Holy Spirit happens in people's lives (Acts 19:5,6).

I think the gift of God is the gift of faith in Jesus and the living water is eternal life.  As with the previous lesson, water and the Holy Spirit have a very close relationship, but I am not sure that that is what Jesus is talking about at the moment.  On another occasion Jesus said ‘I am the Bread of Life, he who comes to me shall not hunger, he who believes in me shall not thirst, no one shall come to me unless the Father draws him.’  I think there is a direct link between what he says here about living water and what he later says about the bread of life.

Q3. (John 4:9-15) What does the “gift of God” and the “living water” (4:9) refer to?

The Holy Spirit in the life of the believer. The constantly renewing regeneration of Jesus' life in us by the indweling Holy Spirit.

Eternal life, forgiveness of sins, acceptance into the Kingdom of God, inheritance of all Jesus promised us.

It is kind of the same. Jesus here is referring to the regenerated Christian whose faith and trust is in Him and who is being renewed into the likeness of Christ. The only spiritual thirst we feel is the thirst and hunger to know more of God. John the Baptist spoke of Jesus as the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit. The "Gift of God" is salvation and the "living water" is the Holy Spirit filling us.

Q3. (John 4:9-15) What does the "gift of God" and the "living water" (4:9) refer to?

The “gift” of God refers to God’s "One and only Son", it is through the Messiah that “living water” will flow; bringing forth spiritual life that refreshes the soul.

Q. What does receiving this gift result in (4:14)?

The results of this gift is that of “Salvation” “Eternal Life” – The Samaritans acknowledged the Scriptures as inspired by God, Jesus was speaking to the Samaritan woman on her level of understanding when he asked her for a drink of water - God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he is my salvation. Therefore with joy shall you “DRAW WATER” out of the wells of salvation? (Isa 12:2-3)

Jesus came right out and told her, “You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is of the Jews. (John 4:22) ----- Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall “NEVER THIRST”. (John 6:35)

Q3. (John 4:9-15) 

What does the "gift of God" and the "living water" (4:9) refer to? 

Does this gift differ from or is another way of saying the "baptism with the Spirit" that John the Baptist spoke about in 1:33?

The ‘Gift of God’ refers to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ Himself. It is a gift given to those who put their trust in Jesus, so that they will not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16). The ‘Living Water’ refers to salvation in all its fullness, including forgiveness of sin and the ability and desire to live an obedient life that glorifies God. All who believe on Him will have their own needs supplied and will receive rivers of spiritual blessing that will flow out from them to others (John 7:38). This gift results in eternal life. It is another way of saying that the Holy Spirit will come down from heaven and dwell in the body of every believer, and each believer becomes a member of the Body of Christ. 

What does the gift of God and the living water refer to?  What does the gift result in?

The gift is Jesus and His redemption of our souls by the way of the cross.  The living water is the Holy Spirit who indwells the believer from the moment of acceptance of Jesus' atoning death on the cross for our sins.  I believe we are baptized in the Holy Spirit at that moment.

Does this gift differ from or is another way of saying the baptism of the Holy Spirit that John spoke about in 1:33.

I believed I received the Holy Spirit in full at the moment of becoming 'born again'.  I believe the gift of tongues is a gift of God and the same with the gift of prophecy and other gifts and maybe the Holy Spirit works according to those gifts in a way that is different from each other gift.  In other words  all are from God  and the Holy Spirit works in all according to His gift for us.  

God bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q3. (John 4:9-15) What does the “gift of God” and the “living water” (4:9) refer to? What does receiving this gift result in (4:14)? Does this gift differ from or is another way of saying the “baptism with the Spirit” that John the Baptist spoke about in 1:33?

The gift of God and the living water refer to the fact God gives all who believe in Christ and surrender to him the gift of the Holy Spirit. Through this Spirit Christ lives in us and strengthens us to live a life worthy for Him.

Receiving this gift results in our living a holy life worthy of the glory of Christ.

John baptized only with water for the repentance of sins, he said Christ would baptize us with the Spirit. After Christ death and resurrection those who believed in Him and repented of their sins where filled with the Holy Spirit.     

(John 4:9-15) What does the “gift of God” and the “living water” (4:9) refer to? What does receiving this gift result in (4:14)? Does this gift differ from or is another way of saying the “baptism with the Spirit” that John the Baptist spoke about in 1:33? 

The gift of God and living water refers to the gift of the Holy Spirit - We will never thirst in the sense that we will always be in touch with God through the Spirit, in the flow of God's eternal supply. We will have eternal life because the Holy Spirit who "seals" us, preserves us until the coming of Christ. And that eternal life begins when we receive the Holy Spirit -- everything becomes new. I believe that baptism with the Holy Spirit is similar and yet it is more than just receiving the gifts. Being filled the Spirit also gives us the power to live a victorious life that Jesus died to give us. Hallelujah! Praise God.

In (4:9) the "Gift of God" refers to the "baptism with the Spirit" which John the Baptist spoke of concerning Christ.  Once filled with the Spirit of God there is a continual filling as you nurture the gift with a fervant and deep spiritual relationship with God.

• 2 weeks later...

In one sense the gift of God refers to Jesus Christ. When we receive him and believe on him we are or have the right to become children of God. (John 1:12). This is like an inheritance - a special place of belonging to God - a new life (like once we were not a people and now we are a people).  The NIV study Bible states that the Greek word for gift is used only here in this Gospel and emphasizes God's grace through Christ as a freely given gift. I suppose Eph. 2: 8-9 uses the word gift  the same way when Paul says it is grace that saves us through faith and this is not from our selves it is the gift of God - not by works so that no one can boast. The NIV study Bible goes on and states that the reference to living water is used here to refer to eternal life though in John 7: 38-39 the term plainly refers to the Holy Spirit. I personally like this explanation, being a bit of a "lumper" as opposed to a "divider". Regardless, I believe John 4: 14 states plainly that the water wells up to give eternal life. But I also believe it is the work of the Holy Spirit that works in our heart to accomplish this.   

The gift of God and living waters is when we become believers and live for God. We leave our sinful ways and become a follower of Jesus Christ who went to the cross to make this possible. I think the woman at the well felt a different stirring in her while talking to Jesus.When we really get in touch with Jesus Christ The Holy Spirit fills us up.

The gift of God is nothing we do it is asking Jesus to come into our lives and we become a child of God and have eternal life.  This world is not all there is we have life with Jesus forever and forever. PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME

This gift is being born again and filled with the Holy Spirit.

Q3. (John 4:9-15) What does the "gift of God" and the "living water" (4:9) refer to? What does receiving this gift result in (4:14)? Does this gift differ from or is another way of saying the "baptism with the Spirit" that John the Baptist spoke about in 1:33?

The "gift" of God means the Holy Spirit of God.

Receiving Him leads to having life eternal.

To me the two are one and the same thing.

The "gift" of God means the Holy Spirit of God.

Receiving Him leads to having life eternal.

To me the two are one and the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the “gift of God” and the “living water” is referring to the Spirit. So receiving the gift results in us cleaning up our lives and living go God. I don’t think that the gift is any different than the “baptism with the Spirit”. I think they are talking about the same thing.

• 5 weeks later...

Q3. (John 4:9-15)

What does the “gift of God” and the “living water” (4:9) refer to?

The gift of God refers to having the knowledge and understanding of knowing Jesus and learning that she is a sinner and that believing to Jesus as the Saviour, as the living water.

Will never thirst no more, salvation, having eternal life.

The gift is the Holy Spirit, the eternal life.

• 1 month later...

1 This woman (1) was a Samaritan, a member of the hated mixed race, (2) was known to be living in sin, and (3) was in a public place. No respectable Jewish man would talk to a woman under such circumstances. But Jesus did. The Good News is for every person, no matter what his or her race, social position, or past sins. We must be prepared to share this Good News at any time and in any place. Jesus crossed all barriers to share the Good News, and we who follow him must do no less.

2 Many spiritual functions parallel physical functions. As our bodies hunger and thirst, so do our souls. But our souls need spiritual food and water. The woman confused the two kinds of water, perhaps because no one had ever talked with her about her spiritual hunger and thirst before. We would not think of depriving our bodies of food and water when they hunger or thirst. Why then should we deprive our souls? The living Word, Jesus Christ, and the written Word, the Bible, can satisfy our hungry and thirsty souls

3 At Jesus’ baptism, John the Baptist had declared Jesus to be the Messiah. At that time God had given John a sign to show him that Jesus truly had been sent from God (1:33). John and Jesus were related, so John probably knew who he was. But it wasn’t until Jesus’ baptism that John understood that Jesus was the Messiah. Jesus’ baptism is described in Matthew 3:13-17; Mark 1:9-11; and Luke 3:21, 22.

The "gift of God" is eternal life through Jesus Christ. "Living water" refers to the Holy Spirit.

Receiving this gift results in never having to be spiritually thirsty again.

This gift is another way of saying the "baptism of the Spirit" that John the Baptist spoke of in John 1:33.

• 2 months later...

The Gift of God and the Living Water refers to the grace that is given to us when we turn our lives to believing in God and Jesus. We are able to feel the grace pulsating through our souls. It helps us to grow and have the courage to follow in the footsteps of Jesus. It is different than the baptism with the Spirit. This is the growth of the connection between us and the Spirit.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q3. (John 4:9-15)  What does the "gift of God" and the "living water" (4:9) refer to?  What does receiving this gift result in (4:14)?  Does this gift differ from or is another way of saying the "baptism with the Spirit" that John the Baptist spoke about in 1:33?

1) The ‘Gift of God’ and the ‘living water’ are references to the Holy Spirit.  2) Everlasting life.  3) Yes, when he said "living water," he was speaking of the Holy Spirit, John spoke of baptism in the Holy Spirit and the “living water” that quenches our spiritual thirst is the Holy Spirit.

• 6 months later...

The gift of God is Jesus Himself, given to the world for salvation and redemption to God (John 3:16). Here, I think Jesus was revealing the ultimate gift for humanity in that salvation. The Living Water is the gift of His Spirit that Jesus gives to live within us as a fountain of everlasting life. This gift of salvation and the Spirit results in the inheritance of eternal life.

This gift is the same anointing of the Spirit that was given to Jesus as He began public ministry and the baptism of the Spirit that Jesus promised to all who believe on Him (John 1:33). We never need to request the gift of the living water of God (baptism with the Spirit) because the Father automatically gives that gift when we respond to “the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation” with faith and are “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit” (Ephesians 1:13; 2Corinthians 1:22). I don't see anything in Scripture that leads me to believe God withholds or reserves any measure of the gift of the Spirit when He gives it at the moment of faith in Christ. However, I do think there may be a type of experience where the already indwelling Living Water of the Spirit erupts like a geyser in a forceful torrential flow that overtakes a life in a greater way. We ebb and flow with the fullness of the Spirit throughout our lives because we are not the perfect vessels that Jesus was and our sin crowds out too much “space” too much of the time. We do need to ask to be filled in greater measure with the Spirit's presence and control as we mature in our faith and die to self (decrease) so that He might grow fuller (increase) in us (John 3:30).