JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Inquiry and Prayer

• 2 months later...

Q2. (John 5:6) Why do you think Jesus asked the invalid if he wanted to get well?

I think Jesus wanted to hear the man verbalize what he really wanted.....to be healed or to lie there for another 38 years.This implies that the man hadn't really sought after healing....in 38 years surely whomever brought him to the pool and laid out his mat for him and probably provided lunch and water for the long day there, would have stuck around to help him get into the pool had he been asked.

A woman with severe arthritis came forward for prayer at our church. She was a visitor, so her name and situation were not known. As she approached, the Holy Spirit revealed that she had painful arthritis from unforgiveness. "Tell her I will heal her if she will forgive her father". That was communicated when she asked for prayer. She said "NO! I will never forgive him, turned on her heel and left. One would think she really wanted to be healed to have come to church and to ask for prayer. The Lord wanted to heal her emotionally and spiritually so that He could heal her physically. She wanted only physical healing and to hold onto the emotional wounds.

Perhaps the man at the pool, whom Jesus told to stop sinning, had a similar situation.

Why is it important for us not to make assumptions, but to seek discernment about people’s needs before we pray for them?

The Holy Spirit always knows our needs...so checking with Him for discernment is always wise.

Q2. (John 5:6) Why do you think Jesus asked the invalid if he wanted to get well? Why is it important for us not to make assumptions, but to seek discernment about people’s needs before we pray for them?

Jesus asked the invalid if he wanted to get well because He will never trod on our freewill.  It is important for us not to make assumptions, bit to seek discernment about people's needs before we pray for them because we must be in God's will; and it is His will that we must honor others freedom to make their own choices.

(John 5:6) Why do you think Jesus asked the invalid if he wanted to get well? Why is it important for us not to make assumptions, but to seek discernment about people’s needs before we pray for them?

The book of James says "You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions." (James 4:2b-3). In the writers opinion, there is a bit of that in all of us, we do not have because we do not ask, because our passions are else where. Psalm 37:4 says, "Take delight in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart." So this will happen if we are devoted to Him.

It is our responsibility not to assume when we are helping others, otherwise we are imposing what we think they want, It is arrogant when we make assumptions about what other people want. Yes it is about being discerning (asking God) and asking the person and actively listening and clarifying what they desire from God.

Q2. (John 5:6) Why do you think Jesus asked the invalid if he wanted to get well?

God’s ways are not our ways, therefore I do not know the answer, but a possibility could have been, when Jesus saw amongst the multitude of feeble people there waiting and ready for the waters to be troubled, (ready get set go) that there was a man who was infirmed for a long, long time, stood out from the crowed, he was there sitting on his mat waiting, but why was he not ready, why was there no one there to help him race to the pool, I have only to guess, could it have been desperation on his face, could it have been that God the Son saw this man’s heart, I do not know the reason, but I do know the results when the man answered his question, “Would you like to be made whole” – He was made whole.

There are many today who just want to be entertained, many like to cause discord, and many love to be judge over others, as I look around today I see a very sick Society and death is at their door, for the mat Society is sitting on is that of sin, God has the same question for all of mankind, “Would you like to be made whole”

Time is running out for mankind to answer.

Why do you think Jesus asked the invalid if he wanted to get well?

1.  The man had been coming to the pool for 38yrs and really hadn't tried to do something for himself. Jesus wanted to hear a desire to be healed and see whether the invalid had the faith that Jesus could him.

Why is it important for us not to make assumptions, but to seek discernment about people’s needs before we pray for them?

2.  We never know what's on a person mind.  We may determine by looking at the outward appearance of a person that they need clothes when they really want a job so they can buy their own clothes.  Our Pastor has taught us always to ask what a person's desire is and you pray that prayer.

I think this was a very good question for Jesus to ask the invalid.  Interestedly enough there are many with illnesses of some form who have become very attached to the illness.  I believe Jesus wanted the man to really think about whether he wanted to be healed after 38 years.  I work as a Prison Chaplain.  I see men who get parole after 20, 30 , 40 years of prison time.  Sometimes (many times) they are right back in the prison---can you imagine how strange it is to go back into a society that has moved way beyone what the inmate knew when he was on the outside. (including women, I just word at a men's prison).  No choices have to be made in prison - it is all rule driven.  Now the released inmate must make all his decision so he can live.  Fortunately more programs are in place and being developed to assist with this transition time.

Discernment is always necessary, praying for God's guidance on how to help someone.  We may think we know but many times we don't really.

God bless!

Jesus was probing into this man's life and character. He usually goes deeper than mere appearances. This is an unusual story in that the former invalid didn't praise God, or Jesus for that matter, for his healing but just went his way, seemingly ungrateful. Contrast him with the cripple that Peter and John healed in the Temple in Acts:3. He wouldn't let them go, he was over the moon with gratitude!

Sometimes a physical symptom is a sign of a spiritual need. I know this because I went for healing to the Healing Rooms and they cast out demons from me! And I was healed from some, but not all, of my problems. Sometimes we're just given grace to bear up under them.

Q2. (John 5:6) 

Why is it important for us not to make assumptions, but to seek discernment about people's needs before we pray for them?

This does seem a strange question, but it teaches us not to assume things. This man, after being here for 38 years, might not have wanted to be healed. Perhaps he enjoyed all the attention, or maybe he even made a decent living from the donations he received. We don’t know. There might have been other factors at play. However, this man has reminded me that we do seem to take our health for granted. Our Heavenly Father shows undiscriminating love to all people blessing us in abundance, yet we don’t always give Him the credit or thanks. We, as His children, are to reflect His character and show love for both believers and unbelievers. 

Sometimes we don't even know what we want. It is like the reason we need to pray. God doesn't need to hear our prayers. We need to hear our prayers! When God asks us questions, it certainly isn't because He doesn't know the answer. Just as it is often beneficial to talk with a wise and trusted friend before an important decision, we need to talk to the Lord and listen to what He says. Sometimes He will open a new way of thinking with a question. Sometimes He will reveal a need or a desire in us that we weren't conscious of. Sometimes He will show us where we are in error, in sin, because we see His goodness, His will. Sometimes if we are confronted with that hard question, it will show us if the desires of our hearts are what we should be asking for or not. Without the mind of God, we cannot ask as we should. We must seek that in order to offer effective prayers or advice for others. If He doesn't choose to reveal His mind to us, we can be sure He will never lead us wrongly. He knows the desires of our hearts and if we truly desire His will in all things, He will honor that and use us as He can, as He will.

Why do you think Jesus asked the invalid if he wanted to get well?  Why is it important for us to not make assumptions but to seek discernment about people's needs before we pray for them.

I am not sure why Jesus asked except that if the person isn't willing I don't know that Christ would make him well. Also many times we don't think out what we want until we are asked and we form the thoughts or ideas in our minds.  Another thought was that at this point the man was going there everyday by routine so to speak.  This was his life.  Did he want it to change at this point?  Yes he probably did however did he realize that there would be difficulties to the life after the change of being made well.  Was he sort of 'institutionalized' now and would he be able to adjust.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q2. (John 5:6) Why do you think Jesus asked the invalid if he wanted to get well? Why is it important for us not to make assumptions, but to seek discernment about people’s needs before we pray for them?

Jesus probably ask the invalid if he wanted to be healed because He wanted to know if the invalid had enough faith to be healed and give glory to God the Father.

It seems he only wanted to get into the pool that was stirred by the angel, thus not giving god the recognition for sending the angel to stir it.

Some people may appear to want a healing done to their body, but are they willing to give God the glory. The invalid in this story never mentioned anything about who Jesus was or thanking Him. Some people may appear to want prayers for one thing or a healing, but are we sure their faith is strong enough or are they willing to go to the Lord for it.    

(John 5:6) Why do you think Jesus asked the invalid if he wanted to get well? Why is it important for us not to make assumptions, but to seek discernment about people’s needs before we pray for them? 

We need to "Ask" because until the person voices their need/s, we are not able to pray effectively for them. For example, we can assume that a person wants to be healed but is it really their true desire? They may have a victim mentality and are quite happy to remain sick so that they can throw a pity party and blame the whole world for their condition. 

In the case of the invalid, he did not respond to Jesus' question. Instead, he explained why he could not get into the pool when it was stirred. 

Q2. (John 5:6) Why do you think Jesus asked the invalid if he wanted to get well? Why is it important for us not to make assumptions, but to seek discernment about people's needs before we pray for them?

I have wondered why but from Dr. Ralph's notes, I now see that Jesus wanted to ***** the man's desire and faith to be healed.

We may assume that we know the need of a person but discover that their desire is different from what we assume. We should therefore always ask them to tell us what they want. 

I am not sure why Jesus asked the invalid this question, unless it was to set an example to us.  Unlike us, Jesus would have known the answer without being told.  We can make big mistakes by making assumptions or judgements about people.  People are individuals and should be treated individually, not as ‘the Sick’ or ‘the Poor’.

We see here a man incapacited and without hope.

He has explained his helplessness as that which was holding him back from receiving his healing; and the number of years reveal the hopelessness of his situation.

After 38years without power and resources to overcome his condition, he must have lost hope of ever getting healed.

Jesus asked him if he wanted to get well to awaken that hope (the desire to be healed), because God never forces His will on us. It is when that hope is awakened, He orders him to get up and walk.

We see here a man incapacited and without hope.

He has explained his helplessness as that which was holding him back from receiving his healing; and the number of years reveal the hopelessness of his situation.

After 38years without power and resources to overcome his condition, he must have lost hope of ever getting healed.

Jesus asked him if he wanted to get well to awaken that hope (the desire to be healed), because God never forces His will on us. It is when that hope is awakened, He orders him to get up and walk.

• 2 weeks later...

We have to ask for our Savior help. The only thing we need to do is call upon the Lord Jesus Christ.

When I pray with someone I ask them if they know Jesus as their Savior if the answer is yes then I pray for the Lord to have His will .

I think that Jesus asked the invalid if he wanted to get well because He didn’t know if he was making his living by being sick. If Jesus would have healed him then he might have lost his lively hood. That is why it is important for to ask the person what they want and not just assume that they want what you might think they want.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (John 5:6)

He wanted to assess desire and faith. Also the Lord wants the man to do his responsibility by using his mouth to answer his question. It must come to heart when we answer or ask our God.(Mat_15:18  But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart)

Making assumption is like guessing and we are not sure about the real needs of the people. Many people they just need attention but their pride are still there thats why they only want empathy and not sympathy or patronizing them. That is why it is important to ask them of what they want the Lord to do for them.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Jesus asked the invalid if he wanted to get well because, He wanted to make sure that the invalid really wanted to be healed.

It is important not to make assumptions, but to seek discernment about people's needs when we pray for them because we need to pray for them according to God's will.

He had no hope of ever being healed and no desire to help himself. The man’s situation looked hopeless.

In life we should know that there is hope in God. It is important not to make assumptions, but to seek discernment and pray for fellow brother who are in need.

• 2 months later...

Jesus wanted to see if the man really wanted to be healed. if he was ready to take the next steps in his life to live as a true follower of God. Not everyone is ready to take that step. Some people want to remain as they are and they just want to remain as they are and they just want to be able to live off the pity and on the edges of society. They are comfortable being miserable. Some people need us to pray for a spiritual healing before we can even attempt to pray for a physical healing. They need to be made right with their inner self. Their physical ailments can be caused by depression, or even self loathing.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (John 5:6) Why do you think Jesus asked the invalid if he wanted to get well? Why is it important for us not to make assumptions, but to seek discernment about people's needs before we pray for them?

Why do you think Jesus asked the invalid if he wanted to get well?  I believe it was probably the utter helplessness of this man that prompted Jesus to choose him out of the large crowd around the pool.  He didn’t heal everyone, instead He turned his complete attention to just that one man.  Jesus already knew what was in the invalid’s heart when he asked the question so I believe He asked because it was important to Him and to the invalid himself that he answer.  Even though he never directly answered yes or no, Jesus must have been satisfied with his response or He would have gone on his way.  The question might sound strange but it’s very telling because we all know that there are people out there who are suffering who really don’t want to be helped.  These people wallow in their own miserable existence.  They make the most of their weaknesses and their helplessness and in a lot of cases, actively seek the attention and pity of others because of their infirmities.  Was this man one of those?  Possibly; but I believe Jesus asked the question not because He wanted, or needed to hear this man’s response because He certainly did not.  I believe he asked because he wanted the man to look at his own pitiful condition and accept personal responsibility for his life.  He asked the question because he wanted this man to know that he had to give up on ‘human’ effort and admit to himself that he really couldn’t do anything on his own.  In a roundabout way, the invalid man’s response was yes, he did want to be healed.  He admitted to himself what Jesus already knew-- that he’d tried everything he could humanly do but he needed help and that he had absolutely no hope of ever doing it on his own.  He wanted and needed Jesus’ help.  Quite obviously Jesus accepted that response because instead of moving on, he told him to “pick up his mat and walk.”

Why is it important for us not to make assumptions, but to seek discernment about people's needs before we pray for them?  When Jesus looks at us, He knows what’s in our hearts and He knows exactly what we need and He willingly shares His love and compassion for those of us who are suffering.  Like the invalid at the pool, Jesus’ love and compassion led him seek him out and to heal both his physical and spiritual infirmities.  We, however are human beings and we don’t possess the ability to look into the hearts of others.  That being the case, I don’t believe we should even try to “seek discernment about people’s needs before we pray for them.”  Everyone is deserving of our love and our prayers no matter what their circumstances might be.  In order to pray for others effectively, we must ask the Lord to make us more sensitive to their problems.  When we pray for others, we always have to keep in mind that it’s not our job to judge whether or not someone “deserves” our prayers, that’s the Lord’s job.  If it’s His will, God will pour His love and compassion into the hearts of those for whom we’re praying.  Everyone, regardless of their station in life or their physical, psychological or spiritual condition is deserving of our encouragement, our help and our prayers.  Rather than seeking to determine someone else’s spiritual needs, as a Christian we should consider it an honor and a privilege to walk with God in helping others through our prayers.  Pray and pray earnestly and always remember to let the Lord determine the concern over the need.  The Lord cares deeply about every one of us; He, and He alone has the solution for all of our troubles.  When we take other people’s needs to God, we are working in tandem with Him and we should view it as an honor and a privilege to be able to share His concern, listen to His instructions and then follow His guidance.

• 1 month later...

You cannot answer this question unless you look at the man's answer in verse 7 as well.  

Jesus says "Do you want to get well?"  The man says "No one will help me.."  All the man cared about was to get to the pool.  

As other answers to this question have pointed out, one must ask the question (why?)  Just to want to do something is not a reason to do it.  A good example is the old adage "keeping up with the Jones".  My personal one is cable TV.  Why anyone would subscribe to something called entertainment when the majority of it is filled with advertisements and the quality of entertainment is very poor.

In verses 10 and 11 the man is questioned about carrying his mat.  His answer was "the man" who healed me told me to pick up my mat.  He still has no idea by what power he was healed.  But, I feel you have to look at the length of time the man was an invalid (38 years).  Probably his lifetime.  Put yourself in that position.  Without knowing God how would you react?

Finally Jesus ask him to sin no more and he does.

Isn't this man a good example of people today.  We do not obey God and isn't that what the Bible is all about ?