JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Value of Miracles

Q4. (John 5:36-37) According to John’s Gospel, what is the value of miracles? What is the weakness of faith that depends solely on miracles? Why do you think that we don’t have more miracles in our day? How much is that dependent upon a congregation’s attitude (and unbelief) towards the importance of modern-day miracles?

• 3 months later...

Q4. (John 5:36-37) According to John’s Gospel, what is the value of miracles?

Jesus said "The works that the Father has appointed for Me to accomplish and finish, are a witness and proof that the Father has sent Me. (That Jesus is God)

John called them "Signs"...pointing to the truth that Jesus is Messiah. God come down to earth.

What is the weakness of faith that depends solely on miracles?

Unbelief in Jesus' Words...the Word of God!

Why do you think that we don’t have more miracles in our day?

Unbelief in Jesus' Words...the Word of God! Teaching inconsistent with the Bible.

How much is that dependent upon a congregation’s attitude (and unbelief) towards the importance of modern-day miracles?

I think it's very important...however miracles occur despite unbelief. I received a miraculous healing in my back...and miracles were not talked about at the church we attended....I was watching a Christian television program and a Word of Knowledge was given that a "woman whose back had been injured in a car accident was being healed right now...it's in the low pelvic region." I had been crying in pain and frustration at just having to lie there. Even after I heard the popping and snapping sounds in my back I didn't believe it could be me, "because God doesn't love me that much".....then I heard "Stand up and do what you couldn't do before...bend over, twist..." Skeptical, I stood up and all the pain was gone. I still didn't believe it could be me...so I did things which I was sure would bring pain....none there! So I called the television program and told them my back had just been healed.

That was 40 years ago, but it's as amazing to me today as it was then...except now I know how much He loves me!

But if miracles are to happen at church, there must be openness to them and a welcome to the Holy Spirit to come and minister!

(John 5:36-37) According to John’s Gospel, what is the value of miracles?

The value of the miracles in the Gospel of John is to glorify God. They served to backup what Jesus has taught and claimed about himself.

Such faith tends to be shallow (Matt 13:5).

The implication of the question is that less miracles happen today compared to other periods of time in the christian world. Perhaps because of unbelief (Matt 15:38). Perhaps today in the western word there is less need for miracles because of the advance of modern medicine.

How much is that dependent upon a congregation’s attitude (and unbelief) towards the importance of modern-day miracles?

Not only the congregation but leaders as well. I have witnessed pastors/ministers who appear to lack humility and make a big show of what they can apparently do, like perform so called miracles. When is a miracle not a miracle? Perhaps I am too skeptical?

Q4. (John 5:36-37) According to John's Gospel, what is the value of miracles? What is the weakness of faith that depends solely on miracles? Why do you think that we don't have more miracles in our day? How much is that dependent upon a congregation's attitude (and unbelief) towards the importance of modern-day miracles?

Miracles are very important in attracting people to Christ.

Faith that depends solely on miracles can easily disappear when the excitement goes away.

We don't have many miracle in our generation because some christians think that miracles have pass away.

Miracles confirmed that Jesus was sent by God. His miracles were a convincing sign, to the ordinary people at least, that Jesus was the Messiah.

A time will come when those who depend on seeing the miraculous will become blase about it and take it for granted. We should never regard the things of the Lord as commonplace. Also, I think we all know people who answer every altar call and come forward to get a "touch from the Lord" every week at Church. They're living from one spiritual high to the next, like junkies.

That could be down to the commonly held belief that miracles were for the early Church and have passed into history and that the only gifts of the Spirit that remain are: Faith Hope and Love.

It's completely dependent on that. If folks lack the faith to believe that miracles can happen, then they won't happen. The more conservative and reformed churches are openly hostile to anyone who exhibits extraordinary Spiritual gifts. That's understandable to an extent. Some full Gospel churches become a circus every week with everyone babbling in tougues simultaneously and no seeming order or control coming from the pastor. I've seen that first-hand. I've also seen churches where there is a set time for a word of prophecy etc that is ordered and under the control of the pastor, as we're told to do things in the Bible. People being people, the reformed and conservative churches over-react to the more unstable type of church services by forbidding it altogether. They're throwing the baby out with the bath water in my opinion.

Q4. (John 5:36-37) 

According to John's Gospel, what is the value of miracles? 

Why do you think that we don't have more miracles in our day? 

How much is that dependent upon a congregation's attitude (and unbelief) towards the importance of modern-day miracles?

Jesus’ actions were fulfilments of OT prophecies about the Messiah. The Jews of His day, therefore, should have recognized these miraculous signs of healing the blind, feeding the poor, and restoring the lame, amongst others. However, many people were dazzled and intrigued because of His signs and wonders but they did not acknowledge or realize who He was. This shows the weakness of faith that depends solely on miracles, because these miracles should have clearly pointed to the Messiah. All that Jesus was and said and did, pointed to the intimate relationship He shared with the Father, and that He was revealing the glory of the Father. He showed great compassion for the physical afflictions of the people, but His main task was to save souls. I truly believe God performs numerous miracles on a daily basis, even today – all glorifying The Father. I only have to think of how He upholds the universes by His Word as we read in Heb 1:3: “The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.” And the fact that by Him all things hold together as told in Col 1:17: “He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.” This all confirms what a truly great God we serve! 

According to John’s Gospel, what is the value of miracles?

1.  The value of miracles is attracting people to Christ.

2.  There is no maturity in faith. 

Why do you think that we don’t have more miracles in our day? How much is that dependent upon a congregation’s attitude (and unbelief) towards the importance of modern-day miracles?          

3.  We have more access to the Word of God than we did in the past. Some conclude that miracles and other supernatural gifts have passed away.

Q4. (John 5:36-37) According to John’s Gospel, what is the value of miracles? What is the weakness of faith that depends solely on miracles? Why do you think that we don’t have more miracles in our day? How much is that dependent upon a congregation’s attitude (and unbelief) towards the importance of modern-day miracles?

According to John's gospel Jesus miracles had caused many to believe in who He was while others wanted miracles for their own person gain. Miracles may help today to bring believers to Christ but others still refuse to believe these things as illusionist tricks, these folks have very hard hearts and refuse to believe they are acts directly from God.

Even so today there are denominations who believe that miracles were only for the early church, with this type of believe God can not do His work showing people that He still works to even this day and age. Some denominations have miracles happen in their church services all the time. It seems that the body of Christ is indeed split over what God does or doesn't do. We are all brother and sisters of Christ and we should put aside the differences and worship Him in our love and faith. Perhaps this in itself would be a miracle to show the world.         

Why do you think we don't have more miracles in our day?  How much is that dependent upon a congregation's attitude and unbelief towards the importance of modern day miracles.

Maybe we find iPod's, smart phones, hearing each others voices, making plans for our next entertainment with friends, our next drinking bash (I don't drink or take part and my friends don't either however I know people who do) ,the local gossip about someone in the church etc. more exciting than the word of God and miracles.

Very important.  If we are really sincere in our faith we will love God more, spend more time with Him and pray more often and humbly ask Him for help.  I find the Christianity where I am to be lukewarm at best in most people and I find myself on that path to often.  All the distractions, I find I want to be fully committed to God but I want it to just happen.  The work is hard and it takes effort.  And I am tired like the disciples who couldn't stay awake for one hour.  Who lacked the urgency of the hour. And the hour right now is urgent.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

We need to pray for each other!

The value of miracles is as a starting point in the road to faith.  The weakness of relying solely on miracles is that faith cannot grow and develop fully.  We do have miracles, but they are not necessarily of the type that creates a public sensation.  Many people, including myself, have experienced miracles in our own lives.  We have to be open to them, rather than dismissing them as ‘unexplained science’ for example.  Miracles are heavily dependent on people’s attitudes and belief (or lack of).

Q. Why Q4. (John 5:36-37) According to John's Gospel, what is the value of miracles?

The miracles in the day of Jesus were for a sign from God - this is the promised Messiah; the value of miracles lies in the people’s response to the sign. 

Q. What do you think is the weakness of faith that depends solely on miracles?

If one relies “solely” on seeing a miracle in order to believe, it is no longer faith.

Q. Why do you think we don't have more miracles in our day?

I see miracles of God all around me; I have seen God do things in my own life that fall in the category of being a “miracle”.

Q. How much is that dependent upon a congregation's attitude (and unbelief) towards the importance of modern-day miracles?

I personally do not believe miracles happen “only” because of mans faith, it happens because it is the “will of God” – God’s ways are not our ways

The miracles are a testimony and evidence that Jesus is who He claimes to be; that He is Son of God.  God's confirmation is the working of miracles through Jesus.  The weakness of faith that depends solely on miracles is that full faith and trust in Jesus and His Word are not considered sufficient.  The is also the reason that we don't have more miracles today,  we fail to fully trust in the Word of God.  So, when there is a miracle questions arises that doubt that it is indeed a miracle from God as He uses a human to bring forth the manifestation.

(John 5:36-37) According to John’s Gospel, what is the value of miracles? What is the weakness of faith that depends solely on miracles? Why do you think that we don’t have more miracles in our day? How much is that dependent upon a congregation’s attitude (and unbelief) towards the importance of modern-day miracles? 

The value of miracles is that they serve as a testimony for God and Jesus - "The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me.... even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles." (John 10:25, 38)

Faith does not, and should not depend solely on miracles. Faith must be based on our relationship with God and Jesus. The danger of depending on miracles is that our faith will then rise and fall with the occurrence or absence of miracles and this should not be the case.

Miracles are very dependent on the faith and belief of the congregation. If there is unbelief, miracles will seldom happen.

• 4 weeks later...

According to John’s Gospel miracles are a testimony that we have the one and only God. If all we believe in is miracles then we are missing the bigger picture. We need to accept Jesus as our savior and study the things that He did. Maybe the reason that we don’t have more miracles in our day is because we don’t believe in them.

• 5 weeks later...

Q4. (John 5:36-37)

According to John’s Gospel, what is the value of miracles?

The value of the miracle is believing in Jesus that he is in the Father, and the Father is in him (14:11).

The weakness of faith that depends solely on miracles is by not solely believing in Jesus that he is doing the Fathers will.

I do not think that we don't have miracles in our day. Seeing and knowing people that was accepted by Jesus, believed in Jesus, and confessed Jesus as their saviour, is a miracle in our day.

Believing in Jesus is having faith with him and his miracles.

• 2 weeks later...

Accord to John's Gospel the value of miracles is, to confirm that Jesus is the Son of God.

The weakness of faith that depends solely on miracles is, miraculous signs themselves aren't enough to produce a mature faith in Jesus.

I believe we don't have more miracles in our day because of unbelief. Many churches believe miracles are no longer necessary because we now have the bible. Others believe that miracles and other supernatural gifts have passed away and aren't relevant to the modern age.

• 3 months later...

Miracles are a sign that God is still alive and among us. They help people see and feel him deep inside of their souls. It awakens them to the belief that God exists and they convert to him. When a person needs to have miracles to believe they have a faith that is not true. They can not see past the present moment. I believe that miracles are still happening today but people are closed off to them. They look for other explanations. I do not believe that people really talk about their personal experiences with miracles unless they are asked. I find that people do not really share things in their lives. A lot of people seem to be introverts at times especially when sharing personal information.

• 1 month later...

According to John's Gospel, what is the value of miracles?  Miracles were used to bear witness that Jesus was who He said He was and that God had sent him to complete his work.

What is the weakness of faith that depends solely on miracles?  Why do you think that we don't have more miracles in our day?  The miracles performed by Jesus and his first-century disciples were done to establish the credibility of Christ Jesus and the credibility of his disciples after him.  Today, we have the Gospels to validate His credibility and the validity of His message.  That message of course is that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Savior of the world!  If anyone needs proof beyond the written Word of God, then I believe that their claims of faith are misguided! 

How much is that dependent upon a congregation's attitude (and unbelief) towards the importance of modern-day miracles?   It has been clearly established in Scripture that those early miracles were used only to corroborate the testimony of Christ, and those he sent out into the world to spread the good news after He was gone.  Recording those events in the New Testament was intended to permanently corroborate that testimony so, just like speaking in tongues, miracles are no longer.  Today we have the written word of God so constantly having to prove and re-prove the validity of His ministry is not required.  A congregation that needs more than the testimony of Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit to the gospel writers, are not (in my opinion) mature Christians and their faith in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is weak.

• 1 month later...

Miracles are a sign given by God to authenticate the ministry of the missionary

Faith comes by hearing in hearing from the word of God...  Faith built on miracles can become pure subjective froth...  but can lead to a deep and real faith.

Why do you think that we don’t have more miracles in our day?  We do have many miracles on our mission fields where Christ is not known.  These add power and authenticate the witness of the missionaries.  Back home there is a church on every block and everybody's got a Bible.  But God still gives special signs and miracles when he decides.  I have written a book called 'Miracles in a Missionary's Life'  listing and detailing many amazing miracles witnessed by myself and others of our team on the mission fields.  God is alive -- he has not changed -- his power is unfathomable.  If God can raise the dead he can do anything .. Amen  

Unbelief is sin in God's eyes and can block his special work on miracles.  But God is sovereign and he can do as he chooses when he chooses and he often surprises us.. Praise His name.

• 4 weeks later...

The miracles were a powerful confirmation that Jesus really was who He said he was - the Son of God. Miracles were so important because remember - Jesus was ministering primarily to the Jew. The ordinary Jew knew only the ways of the old covenant - the tabernacle, the rituals, and the law. Most did not understand the idea of a Messiah coming in the flesh to sacrifice Himself for sin and fulfilling the law. This was a monumental change in the way the Jews were used to living. The Jewish people had walked in the ways of the Old Covenant for centuries. It was all they knew. This Jesus who opened up the fullness of what God was doing was so completely revolutionary and dramatic - most could hardly believe it.  I don't think I would have believed it myself if I were a Jew in that day. Most of us Christians today lose the drama of all this knowing what we know now. But when Jesus first started making these claims, especially to say he's come to forgive sin, to be crucified for sin, and to die for the whole world to bring people back to God - most Jews of that day did not believe Him and said He was a blasphemer - even with the miracles he performed. But God knew this was going to be their reaction - especially from those of the religious elite. So Jesus confirmed His own authenticity by doing earth-shaking miracles. He healed, he changed the molecular structure of water and turned it into wine, he reproduced food to feed thousands, he walked on water, and he brought people back from the dead. Certainly the miracles were acts of mercy to show Gods love, but primarily they were to prove to a very set-in-their-ways people that this guy (Jesus) was for real! THAT was the main reason for miracles. Most of us Christians today take the miracles for granted when we read about them in the gospels. But they served a very much needed role of convincing the Jew that Jesus was the long prophesied Messiah - the very fulfillment of their Law. 

God tells us that in this day - 'faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God' (Rom 10:17). It does not say that faith comes by waiting for miracles. Today we have the word of God which gives us a tremendous advantage over the Jew of Jesus day. We are encouraged to read, study, understand, and rightly divide His Word. As we do - faith grows. I believe God still does miracles today - but the Word should be our primary focus. When God does miracles - it is usually done in an environment where FAITH resides. And faith is always in the spirit and in the truth (the word). If we put our focus only on dramatic miracles - we won't grow in our faith. In fact, we might actually weaken in our faith if we find ourselves discouraged when we don't see miracles!  We must always look to the Word. It's true, God can (and still is) performing miracles today. But they are always done where faith resides. My take is we should never let miracles alone be the basis for our faith. I don't believe God enjoys seeing his people become 'miracle-seekers'. God knows how often people who witnessed Jesus miracles still lived in complete rebellion after the excitement wore-off.. In fact some of the Jews who actually saw Jesus miracles still agreed to crucify Him. 

• 2 months later...

Jesus did miraculous works among the people with a heart of compassion, but those works had an ultimate purpose to “bear witness about Me that the Father has sent me” (John 5:36-37). The works empowered by the Father were His testimony and witness that Jesus was Messiah, the Son of Man sent from heaven. I think it's important to remember that Jesus was sent to the Jews, who expected signs from God to validate His word. The prophecies about the coming Messiah were filled with signs to look for. So the Father's use of signs and wonders to validate the identity and message of Jesus was right in line with that specific method He had always used with the chosen people of Israel. As Son of Man, Jesus responded to the faith of a few Gentiles with miracles, but it seems His ministry of signs and wonders was almost exclusively to the Jews for the purpose of confirming His identity as Messiah.

To miss the purpose for the miracles is to miss gaining any eternal value from them. These signs and wonders were intended to lead people to listen to Jesus' message and believe His words. Faith in the miracles rather than faith in the Miracle-Worker is misplaced, immature, weak, and ineffective. That kind of faith is emotional, which means it isn't enduring. God desires that the wonder of any miracle leads us to faith from the heart, mind, and soul.

Miracles today would have to be held to the same standard. The few public scenarios I have personally witnessed have been more like showy circus acts that didn't place the focus on the glory of Jesus. I do believe that, if He chooses, God can still work through miracles to lead people to listen to Jesus' message and believe His words. But this would now have to be in line with the slightly different purpose of the miracles that the apostles were empowered to perform as recorded in the book of Acts as the brand new Body of Christ exploded in growth. The purpose then was that of proving the apostles to be true as they testified to the resurrection of Christ and transformation of relationship with God. Perhaps we don't see this much in our congregations because we're missing His purpose, or because we are not apostles whose radically new message must be proven authentic. Now it is the Spirit of truth who proves what is true.

I have seen undeniable miraculous interventions in my family, so I know God still works in people's lives this way. But more importantly, we now have the greater miracles of His Word, which is the ultimate and completed revelation of the Son (Hebrews 1:2), and the Spirit of truth, who bears witness about the Son as He now takes all that was given to Jesus to speak and declares that message to us (John 15:26; 16:13-15).

• 2 years later...

The value of miracles in John’s gospel is that it gets the people attention. Once you have their attention then you can teach them about Jesus. The weakness of faith that depends solely on miracles is that they never learn where the miracle come from. I think that we have miracles in our day and some of them we don’t recognize. But we hear of miracles pretty often and they are dismissed as a fluke. I think that many miracles depend on a congregation’s attitude because they will just brush it off as just another day happening.

• 7 months later...

The value of miracles is that it gets people's attention and lets them know who the true miracle is which is Jesus. Once you have their attention you can tell them the Gospel and tell them about Jesus and how He died for them. The weakness of faith based solely in miracles is that they never recognize who the true Miracle Worker is meaning Jesus and give Him the glory for it. We hear miracles often enough and yet they are dismissed. I believe that the congregation may brush it off and not realize it is not just another day for them.

• 5 months later...

The value of miracles according to John's gospel is to prove the existence of God, through Jesus his son, so that people would see and believe .This is the time before the written word, the gospel. Jesus has come to redeem man back to God and it is through him and belief in Him that this will be done.  Yet the people did not want to believe unless they saw miracles..  Jesus is the light of the world. It is belief in Him that men will be saved.  Not through miracles signs and wonders. There are no miracles performed today like Jesus and the Apostles did because we have the written word. Our faith in the written word and in Jesus the Christ is what is required of us to be saved  according to the New Testament.  Modern day miracles occur in the lives of those who have chosen Jesus as our personal savior and those who have confessed Jesus as Lord and savior, have repented of their sins and have been baptized into Christ. When the Lord's Church, those have been saved and added by God, when we ask for anything, he supplies our needs.  That is His promise to His church, His heirs, His sons and daughters who are obeying His commandments and walking in His word and doing His will.  We have the bible as a source of witnesses to what God will do to those who believe and to those who do not.  Jesus has fulfilled the scriptures. Each time Jesus healed, He would tell them to go and sin no more.  He wanted them to repent from sin and receive salvation, that is what he was offering.

He is offering the same today.  Romans 10:9-11. "that  if you confess with your mouth the  Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead. you shall be save.  For with the heart one believes unto righteous and with the mouth confession is made into salvation.... for whosoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."  We have the miracle of GRACE.....because God so loved the world.......

• 2 years later...

The  values of miracles are indirect testimonies.   The value of miracles was to bring revival of faith to the disciples; to point people to Christ sent by God the Father.   Such weakness of centering solely on miracles isn't good because God in is infinite wisdom answers prayers according  to His infinite wisdom.

We live in a very cynical culture in the USA and Europe.   Overseas... there are people that are Hungary for the Gospel.   On a Greek island, people have expectant faith that the sick and demon possessed can be set free.   Years ago,in NYC hotels, well known evangelists would have healing  campaigns.  Kathryn Kuhlmann had very well ordered services; she was very carefull to Christ all the glory.  Another well known Presbyterian pastor from NJ ..PASTOR CHARLES FITZ...was like the St John Chrysostom of divine healing back in early 1990s.  Very sad how so many churches have gone into retreat mode!   Amnesia has gripped the churches.   Lack of faith is the cause for the neglect of launching out into the deep.  With all the gadgets and distractions, divine healing has been put on the back shelf along with the other gifts of the Holy Spirit.  The impotent man at Bethesda was very caught up in what he saw, felt and remembered over 38 years of suffering.   That day divine grace flooded his body.  Each day we need the touch of Christ;  we need new manna from above.