JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. People's Plans for Jesus

Q5. (John 6:14) How does the people’s desire to make him king relate to the third temptation Jesus met in the wilderness (Luke 4:9)? What would have happened to God’s plan of redemption if Jesus hadn’t retreated to the hills on this occasion? Why must we resist giving in to people’s plans for our lives?

• 3 months later...

Q5. (John 6:14) How does the people’s desire to make him king relate to the third temptation Jesus met in the wilderness (Luke 4:9)?

The people wanted "permanent government welfare" without having to work, so wanted to make Jesus King.

In Luke 4:6, Satan tempts Jesus with power over all the kingdoms (without completing His mission to die on the cross), thwarting the plan of redemption.

What would have happened to God’s plan of redemption if Jesus hadn’t retreated to the hills on this occasion?

They would have taken Him by force to try to fulfill their foolish and selfish plan. It was a real temptation as well, so retreating to the hills to pray was wisdom in defeating Satan. Jesus was tempted in every way in which we are, but sinned not. He enables us to respond in kind and to resist temptation through prayer for His strength, and way of escape in our temptations...not that we always ask or prevail.

Why must we carefully consider people’s plans for our lives?

Only God knows what His plans are for our lives. Other people's well meaning ideas and plans for us are what will make them happy, or what they think will make us happy. To yield to their plans will thwart what God intends for us to accomplish in life, for His glory and for our good.

It reminds me of when Jesus spoke of the cross and Peter objected. Jesus dealt with the temptation by rebuking Satan who spoke through Peter.

Q5. (John 6:14) How does the people’s desire to make him king relate to the third temptation Jesus met in the wilderness (Luke 4:9)? What would have happened to God’s plan of redemption if Jesus hadn’t retreated to the hills on this occasion? Why must we carefully consider people’s plans for our lives?

The people wanted a ruler who would remove them from under the tyranical rule of the king.  Jesus did not come to be an earthly ruler and retreated when they wanted to take Him by force to make Him king.  Jesus knew the purpose of His time on earth, the Father's will, was to redeem man back to God and He allowed nothing to deter Him from this assignment. When people's plans for our lives does not match God's plans, we must do as Jesus did and remove ourselves from under their control.

Q5. (John 6:14) How does the people’s desire to make him king relate to the third temptation Jesus met in the wilderness (Luke 4:9)? What would have happened to God’s plan of redemption if Jesus hadn’t retreated to the hills on this occasion? Why must we carefully consider people’s plans for our lives?

This may have been a temptation but Jesus was not tempted, just as he was not tempted in the wilderness (Luke 4:12). Jesus knew what his job was in the world (John 3:16,17) and he did not let himself become distracted by anyone (John 2:24-25). Of course, God's plan of redemption would not have happened if he let the people take him to make him their king.

If I was honest, I have probably made a lot of mistakes in life and I will continue to make mistakes because I am rotten to the core because I am a sinner (1 John 1:9). We kid ourselves if we think we are better than any body else (1 John 1:10).

When I read the people plan to think they can take a "prophet" by force to be king I am amazed and it seems not much has changed through the centuries.  We still think we have power and one person does something good and we immediately start thinking of that person as someone who can solve our problems.  Where does God enter in in all this?  Sadly the One who can solve or take care of us is no where considered.  If the people succeeded in their plans the person (in this case they wanted God Himself, doesn't that just frost the cake) would be under their control and just another person.  He would have no power of his own if they could force him (in this case Him).  

Jesus came to do the will of God.  Period.  He knew it and never deviated from it because He was pure spotless Lamb of God.  What would have happened to God's plan of redemption if Jesus had listened to the people?  He couldn't listen to the people.  He was and is God.  He is so one with God that it was an impossibility for Him to rule over them in the way they wanted.  He would rule over them but as God, Savior, Redeemer.  Not just a present fix but a permanent King who would live forever and reign and rule over those who would accept Him as who He is.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q5. (John 6:14) How does the people’s desire to make him king relate to the third temptation Jesus met in the wilderness (Luke 4:9)?

The devil tempted Jesus with the offer of dominion over the world if He would bow down and worship him (the devil that is). In this scenario, the people would have made Jesus king by force, or tried to, and that would have amounted to the same result. Jesus had come into the world not to become its king on this occasion, but to establish the beginning of the Kingdom of God. When He comes again, THEN he'll come as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

What would have happened to God’s plan of redemption if Jesus hadn’t retreated to the hills on this occasion?

It simply wouldn't have happened. Jesus had to die . . after being despised and rejected by men. He definitely hadn't come to set up a worldy kingdom at this time.

We note how Jesus was careful to make sure that all the prophetic words written about him in Scripture came to pass. He had to get out of Dodge, so to speak, otherwise the whole plan God had set in motion would have been ruined.

Why must we carefully consider people’s plans for our lives?

Anyone who's lived a bit knows that most people want to simply use and abuse you. We're fortunate indeed if we have two or three real true friends in our entire lifetime. It's really hurtful when a false friend shows his true colors . . and it happens all too frequently. Myself . . Whenever someone tells me I'm his good right arm, I run like hell these days. If anyone is always telling you what a good freind he/she is, they're really not. If people stop contacting you once they've got what they need from you, they were never your friend. I must have moved furniture for people, some friends and some just because I saw it as Christian service to help someone who couldn't afford a professional removalist, at least 20 times over the years when I was a truck driver. I used to laugh at the time and say: I bet that when I have to move I'll have to do it all myself or call in a removalist.  Sure enough . .

Perhaps the peoples desire to make Jesus king over Israel would be a temptation to raise Jesus to a false power or a false kingship at that time. This of course was not Jesus mission on earth but instead to fulfill the will of the Father. This temptation was similar to the one Satan had tempted Jesus with in the desert, where he told Jesus to jump off the pinnacle of the temple and the angels would rescue him or to fall down on his knees and worship Satan and he would give Jesus the kingdoms of the world.

God's whole plan of salvation would have been in jeopardy if the people would have made Jesus king. He would undoubtedly have been arrested for in-sighting a riot against Rome and perhaps killed for the wrong purpose.

People sometimes may want to use Christians and their beliefs for their own ends and purpose's that are not intended for God's will. They may want to use Christian beliefs as being prejudice against present day society. Satan will always use believers and non believers to over throw the Church of Christ and bring people into the world of immorality.              

Q5. (John 6:14) 

How does the people's desire to make him king relate to the third temptation Jesus met in the wilderness (Luke 4:9)? 

What would have happened to God's plan of redemption if Jesus hadn't retreated to the hills on this occasion? 

Why must we carefully consider people's plans for our lives?

They realized this was a genuine miracle and saw Jesus as the Messiah, but for the wrong reasons. From the OT teachings, they knew that a prophet was coming into the world, and after seeing this miracle performed they were willing to acknowledge that Jesus was that Prophet. They were expecting an earthly monarch and looked to Him to deliver them from the control of the Roman Empire. However, they looked upon Him for the wrong reasons which was not in the plan of salvation God had in mind. Their faith was not genuine as they had no interest in accepting Him as their Saviour. We can see from John 6:15 that Jesus knew what the people were up to. They were about to come and take him by force in order that they might make Him king, and then they would abuse His power for their own gain. First would be throwing off the yoke of the Romans and then free food and a life of luxury. However, He simply dismissed the vast throng, and ordered His disciples to go into a boat in order to row back to the other side of the Sea of Galilee. We thank our Heavenly Father for sacrificing His Son so that we can spend eternity with Him.

Q5. (John 6:14) How does the people's desire to make him king relate to the third temptation Jesus met in the wilderness (Luke 4:9)? What would have happened to God's plan of redemption if Jesus hadn't retreated to the hills on this occasion? Why must we carefully consider people's plans for our lives?

I see more similarity in the second temptation in Luke 4: 6-7 (rather than in Luke 4:9) where Satan wanted the Heavenly King of kings to worship him so that he would make him to be the king of the earthly kingdoms of the world. Here too, the Jews wanted to make Him by force to be their king who would deliver them from the rule of the Romans. 

He came to this world for the salvation of all mankind and not just to be a Jewish king. This singular goal would have been thwarted by the myopic plans of the Jews. 

We have to carefully consider people's plans for our lives to ensure that they are in line with the divine plan of the Lord for us.

Q5. (John 6:14) How does the people's desire to make him king relate to the third temptation Jesus met in the wilderness (Luke 4:9)?

Satan is the opponent of both God and man, this is an example of why we must not take for granted the existence of a supernatural realm of good, obedient angels who serve God, and evil, rebellious ones (demons) who serve the Adversary, for we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, this is why we are called to put on God’s armor, for the worldly methods are not sensitive to God’s methods which are: “TRUTH”, salvation, THE WORD OF GOD” given by the SPIRIT, and “PRAYERS”, as we saw Satan working through these people to do what he could not do, as the people were ready to take him by “FORCE” to be king, for the flesh wanted freedom from Roman rule and peace for Israel, the philosophy of this world does not understand, all things are going to be done in God’s timing, and as Christ said, “My kingship does not derive its authority from this world’s order of things”.

Q. What would have happened to God's plan of redemption if Jesus hadn't retreated to the hills on this occasion?

Satan’s desire is that he be worshipped as god and to stop the redemptive plan of God Almighty who calls himself the “God of Israel”, if these people had succeeded, they would have nullified God’s way of making Yeshua, (Jesus) the Messiah, the Suffering Servant dying for the sins of humanity, being resurrected, ascending to God’s right hand and returning in future glory to assume the throne, all is to be done in God’s perfect timing.

Q. Why must we carefully consider people's plans for our lives?

It is important that we make sure the plans of the people fall in with the plans God Almighty has for our lives, it is especially important for us today, for these days are “testing days” and Satan is doing all he can to put a stop to the will of God in our lives, Satan knows his time is short, this is why it is important that we who believe in God’s Son, that we put on the full armor of God, thereby we will be wise to the wiles of Satan and to the philosophy of this world which is trampling on God’s holy laws, those who are following Satan are those who want to rearrange His order of things by calling that which is black - white; the philosophy of this world is out to deceive and to destroy the things of God, may our prayer be that we stand strong as a people of faith, for God’s Son is coming for a “faithful bride”.

(John 6:14) How does the people’s desire to make him king relate to the third temptation Jesus met in the wilderness (Luke 4:9)? What would have happened to God’s plan of redemption if Jesus hadn’t retreated to the hills on this occasion? Why must we carefully consider people’s plans for our lives? 

If the people had, by force, made Jesus King, it would have put an end to His mission to bring salvation to the people. The Romans would have retaliated swiftly and surely.

Jesus retreated to the hills to pray to God the Father. By seeking refuge in God and communicating with God, God's plan of redemption may have taken a different direction. However, the result would have been the same as God's plans are not thwarted. 

We must always carefully consider other people's plans for our lives because it may not be what we want or it may not be God's will for our lives. Their plans could be based on selfish and carnal desires which are not in line with God's plans for us.

The people’s desire to make him king would have completely negated everything that Jesus came to do here.  The devil attempted to tempt Jesus in exactly the same way.  The devil almost always uses things of this world as his temptations to us.  The people’s desire may not have come directly from the devil, but it was a worldly desire, not a spiritual one.  I doubt if they could have forced the Son of God to do their will, but Jesus avoided the situation anyway.  Unlike Jesus, we are often put under pressure to do things that suit others but are not in either our own interests or in keeping with our spiritual values.  We have to be very careful to take the narrow spiritual path, not the broad worldly one that leads to damnation.

• 4 weeks later...

The people were wanting Jesus to be king over them and that is what the Devil wanted Jesus to also be. But in both cases He did not relent. God’s plan we for Jesus to save the world not to conquer it. So if the people would have been successful in getting Jesus to be their king then He would have had to conquer the world. We must also follow God’s plan for our lives and not let somebody else dictate to us what they think we should be doing.

• 4 weeks later...

Q5. (John 6:14)

How does the people’s desire to make him king relate to the third temptation Jesus met in the wilderness (Luke 4:9)?

People only want to use Jesus for their own agenda.

God's plan of redemption will be put to a halt. We have learned that Jesus only do the will of the Father, that is why he went to the hill to pray, to talk to the Father.

Why must we resist giving in to people’s plans for our lives?

God's plan, purpose, promises, and providences in our life is greater compare to people's.

• 3 weeks later...

The crowd recognized the power of Jesus but misunderstood the nature of His mission and signs

Most Jews thought that Joshua was this prophet predicted by Moses (Deuteronomy 18:15). Peter was saying that the prophet was Jesus Christ. Peter wanted to show them that their long-awaited Messiah had come! He and all the apostles were calling the Jewish nation to realize what they had done to their Messiah, to repent, and to believe. From this point on in Acts, we see many Jews rejecting the Good News. So the message went also to the Gentiles, many of whom were open to receive Jesus.

God said your ways are not his and our ways are not Gods. We need to be careful with people and how we conduct ourselves.

• 3 months later...

The devil had told Jesus that he would make Jesus ruler of the world if Jesus would bow down to him. This went against the will and plan of the Father. We would not have been saved. There would have been a war and there would have been just as much sin if not more to keep us separated from God. We need to follow our own plans and dreams. We need to be able to listen to God and to follow the path that he puts us on not the path that others think we have to follow for their own goals and ideas. We can not let other people live their lives through us.

• 1 month later...

Q5. (John 6:14) How does the people’s desire to make him king relate to the third temptation Jesus met in the wilderness (Luke 4:9)?  What would have happened to God’s plan of redemption if Jesus hadn’t retreated to the hills on this occasion?  Why must we resist giving in to people’s plans for our lives?

1. Other than rejecting the possible temptation to sit on an earthly throne and resisting the temptation to test His Heavenly Father by throwing himself from the temple, I really don’t see too much correlation between the two events.  On one hand, Satan wanted Him to put Christ (and God) to the test (i.e. “if you are the Son of God”) and on the other, the Israelites wanted a king who would physically sit on David’s throne, a king who would expel the Romans from their land and they wanted Jesus to fill that role.
  2. Had he not gone into the hills, God’s plan for salvation would have been destroyed.
  3. God’s plan for our lives is the only thing that matters, “other people’s” plans for our lives are totally irrelevant at best!  Here are Paul’s words:  “Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:1-2)

• 2 months later...

How does the people’s desire to make him king relate to the third temptation Jesus met in the wilderness (Luke 4:9)?

Jesus was tempted by an offer of earthly power and influence over people. This happened to Jesus both in the desert (Luke 4:9) as well as on this occasion after feeding the 5000 men. Both temptations came from Satan (in the desert more directly, but in this occasion the devil was working through the crowd). Jesus could easily have taken this offer and become an earthly king, but it would only have been temporary and would not have amounted to anything because God the Father would not have been in it. 

Just as Saul's kingship ended in disaster because he would not listen to God, so Jesus kingship (if he had followed through on the temptation and actually accepted the crowds offer) would have been a disaster too (only this disaster would have been of much more monumental impact). The whole plan for man's salvation would have been diverted and ended. I'm glad Jesus did not give-in to this short-sighted desire from the crowd. 

Why must we resist giving in to people’s plans for our lives? 

I think it's important to note that Jesus REALLY WAS tempted. Some have stated Jesus could not be tempted, but I believe he really was. Remember, Jesus was both God (the Son of God) and man (the Son of Man), but he purposely laid-aside his divine attributes to become a man and walk among us (see Phil 2:5-8).

So since he walked as a man, he was able to be tempted just like us. But remember - he was tempted AFTER he received the Holy Spirit (which descended upon Him) at the Jordon river. So whenever Jesus was tempted, he was tempted as a man walking with the Holy Spirit in him - just like a christian is today. He avoided sinning by relying on the Holy Spirit and the Word of God - just like we are called to do. His divine nature was never tempted because 'God cannot be tempted', but Jesus set that divine nature aside and emptied himself for our sake. When he walked in his human body, he was FULLY human and was fully capable of being tempted in his human nature. It was his human nature that was tempted. The reason he did not sin was because he consistently, without wavering, relied on the Holy Spirit in him and the Word of God - something we all can do as born-again believers.  Of course, we often blow-it and sin anyway because we choose to rely on the flesh - which must be daily crucified. 

The bottom line - never follow the crowd or any person who tempts you with delights, power, money, good feelings, etc etc. I learned the crowd is usually wrong, and peoples expectations of you are often self-serving and not good for you. Always look to God first, trust in Him, believe what He says about you in His word, and be patient and wait on Him. Learn to live a life of trust. Look increasingly to the invisible world of God that is eternal, and not to the visible world we live in now - which is very temporary and controlled by satan. That is the basis of faith and it is our victory. The Lord will never let us down.

• 2 months later...

Luke 4:6 and Matthew 4:9 record satan's efforts to tempt Jesus into accepting his false gift of power and authority over all the kingdoms of the world and their splendors. But Jesus had already settled that question in overcoming the temptation with His declaration to worship and serve only God, so He wouldn't yield to any demand of the people for Him to seek worldly acclaim, position, and power. They were only looking for Messiah to be a military King who would deliver them from tyrannical oppression. Jesus was ALREADY the true King, but this was not the time for the Son of Man to act on that authority in His humanity . His focus was set on the Father's will, and so He retreated from the disciples and the discerned intent of the crowds for refuge on the mountain to spend time only with the Father. The entire plan of redemption would have been compromised and ruined if Jesus had allowed the people to take Him by force and set Him up as king.

When God has given us direction, we can't allow people and their plans to deter us. We need to take every request and demand to Him for discernment.

• 2 years later...

The way that making Jesus king is like the third temptation is that they wanted to put him up on the pinnacle and have him take care of the cares of the world. It wasn’t God’s plan to have Jesus king of the world at that time so it would have stopped his ministry if he hadn’t retreated to the hills. Usually people don’t have our interest in their heart and only have a selfish heart on what you can do for them.

• 7 months later...

Q5. (John 6:14) How does the people’s desire to make him king relate to the third temptation Jesus met in the wilderness (Luke 4:9)? What would have happened to God’s plan of redemption if Jesus hadn’t retreated to the hills on this occasion? Why must we resist giving in to people’s plans for our lives?

The people's desire to make him king related to His third temptation because Satan had him on the pinnacle and told him jump off if he was the Son of God. Only difference is they wanted Him to take care of the cares of the world. It wasn't in God's plans for Him to do it and be king of the world at that time. It would have stopped his ministry prematurely had he not retreated to the hills. Because people can pull us into different directions than the ones God wants us in.

• 5 months later...

The people did not understand what they were witnessing in Jesus and the miracles he performed.  Jesus did not come to do the will of the world or man. He came to do the will of God, the Father, the maker of heaven and earth. All through His ministry, He repeated that he did not come to do His will , but the will of Him who sent Him. In Luke 4:9  Satan wants Jesus to do  his will but Jesus reminded him that he has no control over him or anything he does.  Jesus came to do the will of God and it is His will that he obeys, not man, not Satan. God's plan of salvation and redemption can not be tampered with because God is in control of everything!!!  He allows certain things to happen only to show his power so that he is glorified!!!  God allows Satan to tempt Jesus , so that it is a lesson to man to witness how to be strong in the Lord and how God will never leave us or forsake us, that even in our weaken state, we too can depend on him to sustain us.  Jesus never wavered in His faith and His obedience to God. 

• 2 years later...

Christ was tempted in the wilderness prior by Satan.  Now this vast crowd representing the sentiments of the nation.   The personal presence of the pri ce of this world was offered him in a more real manner by this multitude in another wilderness.  Christ's mission was spiritual in nature.  It was not worldly in character; it could not be mixed with worldly schemes and objects. Christ's ideas of power, honor and glory were diametrically opposed to those of the world.  Christ's character was sensitive to the presence of evil; sensitive to the breath of worldly notions, human ambition and pride.  The devil offered Him the kingdoms of the world.   Here Christ Confronted the devil under the guise of kindness and in the hosannas of gratitude.   He would not  be forced by the will of the people.  Christ gave Himself up to a  cross but not to an earthly  crown.  

Christ went into solitary prayer.   He did not give into the people; He treasured His fellowship with God the Father.  Christ resisted evil grom the beginning; He didn't go on and on in endless dialogue with the 5000.   Christ promptly went into prayer; He had secret fellowship with God the Father.   If we want to do wonders amongst men, we must pray and seek a fresh anointing from above.

• 8 months later...

(John 6:14) How does the people's desire to make him king relate to the third temptation Jesus met in the wilderness (Luke 4:9)? What would have happened to God's plan of redemption if Jesus hadn't retreated to the hills on this occasion? Why must we resist giving in to people�s plans for our lives?

When satan tempted Him in the wilderness and offered Him the earthly kingdom to rule over if He bowed down to him. The people also wanted Him to rule as king. This would have thwarted the plans of redemption. Jesus showed us what to do in the face of temptation. Turn from it. Go one side and spend time with God. 

People's plans and God's plans don't necessary co-incide.