JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Eating the Bread of Life

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (John 6:35-51) What does the metaphor of “eating the Bread of Life” mean in practical terms?

I believe Jesus is saying that like the Manna which came down from Heaven to sustain life in the wilderness, He came down from Heaven, bodily, and must be "eaten" or taken inside by choosing Him, as our sustenance both here and in eternity. We take Communion as our reminder that His blood cleanses us daily from all sin and unrighteousness, and His body was broken to restore our broken bodies, minds and spirits.

To extend the same metaphor, what do you think might be the difference between nibbling the Bread of Life rather than actually making a meal of it?

That's quite a picture! Nibbling might be the equivalent of those who receive Christ and "get the check mark in the box" for Salvation, then lead their lives their own way, attending church several times a year, or even regularly, but without ever having made Jesus Lord of Life. Dabblers.

To make a meal of the Bread of Life, is to embrace Him wholeheartedly, and to understand that in Him we live and move and have our being.....He is our Lord and our Life force, our All in All.  A meal is a time of fellowship and enjoyment... I think that involves time spent with Him daily, hourly...at least whispering the Name of Jesus during the day at work. A meal is shared. Conversation is shared....that means to me, listening to and for Him more than I speak. A meal is prepared....God Himself prepared this precious meal for us....I want to savor and learn everything about my Lord that I can. I don't want to meet Him face to face and feel like He's a mere acquaintance...that I only nibbled at the meal lovingly prepared for me to enjoy

To eat of something means to put it in your mouth, chew it, and then swallow so it can be digested to fill and nourish the body.  As a metaphor for salvation, to “eat of the Bread of Life” follows that word picture very nicely.  First we allow Jesus, the Living Bread, in as we listen to the truth of who He is and take a bite. Then we generally have to “chew on” things as we ponder what we’ve heard to consider what it means and come to terms with how it affects us. As we begin to realize the bitter, destructive effect of sin on our spiritual health, savor the taste of Truth, and embrace how vital it is for our well-being, we decide to swallow it down in faith. That internalized presence of our Living Bread within us brings with it eternal Life in Him that cannot die, Truth to equip and guide us, and the Way to grow and thrive as we journey through earthly life toward heaven. 

Jesus was primarily speaking to blinded Jewish people about the initial acceptance of who He is as their Messiah sent from God.  He was drawing a parallel to what they already knew about the manna given in the years of their ancestors’ journey from Egypt to the Promised Land, which wasn’t meant just as the physical sustenance they needed but also as a symbolic picture of what God would do through their Messiah who was to come.  Many who heard Jesus took tiny bites and “nibbled” around the edges.  They liked what they saw/heard and enjoyed the benefits as long as these fit into their preconceived ideas about who He should be.  Yet in the end, they weren’t willing to release their biases, traditions, preferences, and law-keeping.  In general, they ended up spitting Him out and never swallowing.

In terms of salvation, we don’t have to continually eat of this Living Bread.  Once we believe on Jesus as we take in the Bread of Life, the Father presents us to His Son and nothing can change or alter that position in Christ.  But in terms of spiritual growth and strength, we desperately need to consistently “eat of Jesus” through His living Word that sustains us.  Nibbling and pretending to eat won’t cut it.  We need to dive in and “stuff our faces” with His Word!  And always set the table with prayer and time with Him before the meal.  We need to seek His presence and get to know Him more and more intimately.  We need to listen to His Spirit and give over more and more of self as the Spirit works to transform us into the likeness of Christ. May we receive His Word as delicious food, with a willingness to grow spiritually healthy and strong like Him.

Q4. (John 6:35-51) What does the metaphor of “eating the Bread of Life” mean in practical terms? To extend the same metaphor, what do you think might be the difference between nibbling the Bread of Life rather than actually making a meal of it?

Jesus used bread as a metaphor. So just as bread is life sustaining (a staple food) for physical life, he is the bread of life and sustaining for spiritual life. In practical terms, eating the bread of life means believing in Jesus Christ, putting your faith in him and receiving eternal life (John 6:47, 51).

I wonder whether it is possible, in some ways, just to 'nibble the bread' as eternal life is granted to all those who believe (1 John 5:11, 12). However in another way believing in Jesus, putting faith in him, is still a choice in our every day life.

(John 6:35-51) What does the metaphor of “eating the Bread of Life” mean in practical terms? To extend the same metaphor, what do you think might be the difference between nibbling the Bread of Life rather than actually making a meal of it? 

In practical terms, "eating the Bread of Life" means believing in Jesus and being obedient to His word. Jesus said that we should not "work" for food that spoils but for food that endures to eternal life. In this context, "work" is to have faith in Jesus. To have faith in Jesus is to believe in Him and be obedient to His word.

To me, the difference between nibbling the Bread of Life and making a meal of it can be compared to lukewarm Christians who pick and choose what to believe from Jesus' words i.e. the nibblers and Christians whose total trust and faith is in Jesus Christ.  

As a Catholic, I believe that in practical terms “eating the Bread of Life” means partaking of the Holy Eucharist.  This is our spiritual food.  I know from personal experience how important Communion is to a feeling of oneness with God.  I have experienced a feeling of great calm in difficult times.  It also creates oneness with our fellow communicants.  To partake in faith, it is necessary to meditate on Christ’s physical closeness to us.  If people go to Communion as a matter of routine, without preparing themselves spiritually, there is no benefit.  I suppose this could be called “nibbling”.  The Eucharistic feast is a banquet prepared very generously by a God who serves us with his own self, to the point of death on a cross.  It would be indescribably rude to nibble.

Q4. (John 6:35-51) What does the metaphor of "eating the Bread of Life" mean in practical terms? In practical terms it means - It is by faith that I am able to partake of the Bread of Life, to eat the flesh of the Son of Man, is to absorb his entire way of being and living, to take on his nature, to be “ONE” with him; the Messiah would like us to purpose in our hearts to become one with him, to eat of the “bread from heaven” - John 17:20-21 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me

Q.5 to extend the same metaphor, what do you think might be the difference between nibbling the Bread of Life rather than actually making a meal of it? To just nibble at the food and drink placed before you would be an insult to the host who invited you to dine with him, but when one partakes of the meal they are giving honor and respect to the host.

Q4. (John 6:35-51) What does the metaphor of “eating the Bread of Life” mean in practical terms?

Believing fully in Jesus as the Way, the Truth, and the Life is to eat the Bread of Life. To accept fully that Jesus is the Son of God who poured out His very life's blood for our salvation is to eat the bread of life.

To extend the same metaphor, what do you think might be the difference between nibbling the Bread of Life rather than actually making a meal of it?

Just superficially believing in Jesus isn't the same as accepting Him as Lord of our lives. Jesus shed His blood for the remission of our sins. To drink His blood is to accept and fully believe that His blood has washed us clean. The Communion elements are a reminder that Jesus body was sacrificed and His blood was shed on our behalf. I'll never believe that they magically become Christ's body and blood. Jesus told us to do this in rememberance of Him.

Q4. (John 6:35-51) What does the metaphor of "eating the Bread of Life" mean in practical terms? To extend the same metaphor, what do you think might be the difference between nibbling the Bread of Life rather than actually making a meal of it?

Good food is not measure in quantity, but in quality. One does not need a large drink of wine and a full loaf of bread to get the benefit of Jesus' powerful peace of presence in the moments of life. One simply needs to believe that His power is coming from the act of communion and consumption of the Holy meal, feasting on Jesus' body and His promise. And it is the beginning of a life committed to pain when God chooses to test our faith, to grow it via fire and difficult struggles. It is all for the job of having His peace inside us to overcome anything through prayer and focus on Jesus.

What does the metaphor of “eating the Bread of Life” mean in practical terms?

1.  In practical terms eating the Bread of Life means satisfying the spiritual hunger by having a right relationship with Jesus.  Christ must be invited into our daily walk to give spiritual life. 

2.  Nibbling the Bread of Life, to me, mean not being fully committed in believing in Christ Jesus.  You believe when it is convenient for you or as long things are going well in your life.       

. (John 6:35-51) What does the metaphor of "eating the Bread of Life" mean in practical terms? To extend the same metaphor, what do you think might be the difference between nibbling the Bread of Life rather than actually making a meal of it?

"Eating the Bread of Life" means believing in the Lord Jesus Christ and being saved, qualifying for eternal life.

'nibbling' the bread I thing is to come to Jesus but not totally surrendered to Him while 'making a meal of it' means total believe resulting to righteousness and thus salvation.

1.Jesus is the Bread of Life. Bread must be eaten to sustain life and Christ must be invited into our daily walk to give spiritual life,

2.I think nibbling means not giving our whole being to Christ we must fully give our all to Jesus Christ in order to have eternal life.

Eating the bread of life means: taking it in, receiving and believing it. (John 1:12). When we eat food, we trust it will be good for us. And if it is good, it will nourish us, give energy, strength and health. But we have to eat it (chew it, swallow it, take it in) not just nibble it.  

Q4. (John 6:35-51) 

What does the metaphor of "eating the Bread of Life" mean in practical terms? 

Those who eat of the Bread of Life will live forever. Jesus is the living bread and here Jesus is pointing forward to His death on the Cross where He would give His life as a ransom for sinners. His body would be broken, and His blood would be poured out as a sacrifice for sins. His death would pay the penalty that our sins demanded. The difference is actually nourishing our souls by studying and meditating on the Word, or starvation. The more we are engrossed in His Word the more we get to know Him and not just knowing about Him – the more we will experience a personal deep relationship with our Saviour. 

Q4. (John 6:35-51) What does the metaphor of “eating the Bread of Life” mean in practical terms? To extend the same metaphor, what do you think might be the difference between nibbling the Bread of Life rather than actually making a meal of it? 

Eating of the bread of Life means believing that in Christ's atoning death on the cross means eternal life for those who do believe.  

To nibble on the Bread of Llife means to not eat much.  You may be saved however you will not grow like someone who immerses themselves in the Word and prayer.

God Bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The metaphor Jesus spoke "eating the bread of life", those who partake in the bread and do so in remembrance of the last supper Christ had with the apostles. For us to do this we are believing in the Son of God and His providing us with ever lasting life through His suffering on the cross. Also we are to live a life of holiness that is worthy of God.

To the extant of the metaphor above, we should fully partake of the "bread of Live" and live a life that is worthy of being a Christian and a representative of Christ. We should not just nibble at the teachings of Christ or His teachings, we should put our faith in Him and believe that His salvation for us will bring us to eternal life with God in Heaven. We should devote ourselves to Him fully, after all he died for us so we would not have to face eternal damnation.       

1: Eating the Bread of Life corresponds to believing in Jesus and having eternal life.  

2: I think that nibbling the Bread of Life is more like the the luke warm christian.  One of little faith has only be nibbling on the Bread of Life.    Why not jump all in and partake in eating and drink in the bread of life and drinking the living waters to satisfy the spiritual hunger and thirst.   

What does the metaphor of "eating the Bread of Life" mean in practical terms?

Bread in the physical sense means that bread does sustain life.  But spiritually, it means that I participate in the belief that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.  My faith is in Jesus, my trust is in Him, so that my "spiritual" life is nourished and grows stronger. 

Nibbling is small eating.  Therefore, nibbling the Bread of Life is a person who believes, but does not fully trust Jesus.  He will not step out is faith for any reason.  Rather the person making a meal of the Bread of Life is passionate about following Jesus and obeying His will.

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (John 6:35-51)

What does the metaphor of “eating the Bread of Life” mean in practical terms?

Eating and nourishing, believing and living eternally.

• verse 47: He who believes | has eternal life
  • verse 51a: If anyone eats of this (living) bread | he will live forever

Meaning you are not fully having the right nourishment then you will not have the eternal life. Not like in making it as a wole meal then you will be filled and have a life eternal.

• 2 weeks later...

Nibbling the Bread of life lends of course to a spiritually anemic life- drained of strength in Christ to follow after His ways. Without abiding in Him (prayer, receiving His word, etc) we can do nothing (John 15), because we can do nothing of ourselves. We then become flesh-driven rather than Spirit-driven, because that is our default pattern without Christ. Nibbling here and there can only lead to this terrible split inside of ourselves, this double-mindedness or hipocrisy, where we desire or know to do good but the ability to do that good is not in us (Romans 7 I think). We can know the commandments and a lot of things about Jesus and find a baffling inability to model any of it. Unfortunately, this is often what happens with me, one reason why Ihave to get back into these bible studies...

People eat bread to satisfy physical hunger and to sustain physical life. We can satisfy spiritual hunger and sustain spiritual life only by a right relationship with Jesus Christ. No wonder he called himself the bread of life. But bread must be eaten to sustain life, and Christ must be invited into our daily walk to sustain spiritual life.

Jesus did not work independently of God the Father, but in union with him. This should give us even more assurance of being welcomed into God’s presence and being protected by him. Jesus’ purpose was to do the will of God, not to satisfy Jesus’ human desires. When we follow Jesus, we should have the same purpose.

As used here, believes means “continues to believe.” We do not believe merely once; we keep on believing in and trusting Jesus.

To eat living bread means to accept Christ into our lives and become united with him. We are united with Christ in two ways: (1) by believing in his death (the sacrifice of his flesh) and resurrection and (2) by devoting ourselves to living as he requires, depending on his teaching for guidance and trusting in the Holy Spirit for power.

• 3 months later...

To me, eating the "Bread of Life" is partaking in a spiritually uplifting church service and receiving communion with fellow believers to help feed my soul for the upcoming week. It helps me to center my life around the teaching of the gospel.

I feel that the whole concept of the bread of life is what you do with it on a daily basis. If you are a weekend Christian, you are only nibbling on the bread. You have not learned to fully take and eat. You limit the effects of the bread on your daily life. However, if you are able to move forward and live a spirit filled life, you are really eating the bread.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

What does the metaphor of “eating the Bread of Life” mean in practical terms? To extend the same metaphor, what do you think might be the difference between nibbling the Bread of Life rather than actually making a meal of it?

For me, "eating the Bread of LIfe" means trusting the Word of God and letting it speak to us, guide us, and direct us. We don't have Jesus anymore in the flesh, but we have His Word. The Word is Jesus (In the beginning was the Word...and the Word was God, and the Word became flesh). Complimenting the Word, we also have the Holy Spirit living in us. As we prayerfully read and study the Scriptures, the Holy Spirit will illuminate the Word and bring understanding - which is light. We are to 'walk in the light as He is in the light'. All of this rests squarely on our faith, which is the evidence of things not seen.

So for us today, eating the bread of life is the same as walking by faith in His Word. Reading the Scriptures prayerfully, believing it with all of our heart, and letting it guide our inner disposition is the foundation of our faith. It may not be easy but fortunately it's not about being perfect. It's about growing in our desire to know Him. As another member rightly said, 'we don't want to get to Heaven and find ourselves a distant acquaintance of Jesus'.The extent to which we do this is the difference between making a meal of Him or just nibbling. I suppose it's the carnal Christians who are the nibblers, while the spiritual Christians are the ones feasting on His banquet every day.

• 1 year later...

To eat the Bread of Life means to absorb every word Jesus gave us and to inwardly digest it. To see how from infancy our bodies grow into adulthood because we eat food is a beautiful example how we grow from baby Christians into mature Christians through abiding in Jesus and in His word. For our physical bodies to grow, all we have to do is to eat but  it is God who nourishes our bodies in the most miraculous way causing the growth and building it up. It is the same with eating our spiritual food.

Nibbling at food is something we often associate with children. We know when as child nibbles at food, it only chooses a few bits which it fancies, often the nutritious and healthy bits are untouched and there isn't usually a lot of enjoyment in eating. It is so sad that this is a picture of many Christians and therefore not much spiritual growth happens. And yet the Lord prepares the most beautiful table for us and wants us to come with anticipation and joy as we have the privilege feasting with Him every day.