JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Shepherd's Voice

• 1 month later...

Just as each Judean shepherd had a unique sound and call for the sheep of his flock, Jesus has a unique voice and call for all who belong to His flock.  His is the voice of pure and holy God, and it sounds different from the voices of worldly philosophy, interpretation, and viewpoint.  His voice will not be calling us in the same direction that the world and our own thoughts/understanding/desires will demand. 

It truly is a process and practice of learning to hear His voice, first of all because it is so often a still, quiet one amidst the loud raucous voices of the world, the persistent voice of satan in our ears, and our own insistent voices within.  Psalm 46:10 directs us to “Be still and know that I am God” because it is in that quieted peace of a calm soul that we are listening and able to hear – and know.  I think the most prominent way Jesus speaks to us through His Spirit is by His Word because that is where He instructs us in the truth that develops discernment.  The more we learn His Word, the more we become capable of sorting out the voices, their sources, and their validity.  It's by knowing what is authentic and true that we are able to identify what is false.  Sometimes we will hear Him through remembrance of Scripture.  Sometimes it's by a clear whisper of direction in the mind/heart.  Sometimes His voice comes to us from the lips of another believer.  Sometimes it's an intangible but certain "knowing".  Even when it seems difficult to be completely certain, we can be sure that His voice will never contradict His Word and He will ultimately make things clear.

The phrase "the sheep know the voice of the shepherd" means that the intimacy between the shepherd and the sheep enables the sheep to hear and discern/ know the voice of their shepherd.

We can be able distinguish between our thoughts, the voices of others and the voice of our Shepherd is through intimacy developed over time. We need to learn to listen and also seek the help of ecperienced older Christians.

Q1. (John 10:3-4) What does it mean that Jesus' sheep "know his voice"?

As children of God and followers of Christ we must recognize to call of the Spirit of Christ, His guidance, His teaching and therefore His Voice.

How can you discern his voice from your own thoughts and the expectations of others?

This can be very tricky. often we can deceive ourselves because we want our desires to line up with God's will.

I have gone of on a wrong track because i thought my will was the same as God's. And its easy yo say "see, i am helping the poor and working hard"

But if you didn't get an instruction by God to do it, you are doing stuff to sooth yourself or to try to gain credit with God with your own works and not by being obedient.

Be sure and seek His will 1st before you act

(John 10:3-4) What does it mean that Jesus’ sheep “know his voice”?

How can you discern his voice from your own thoughts and the expectations of others?     

• Jesus' sheep know his voice mean that we can distinguish his voice from any other voice because of the intimate relationship we have with him.   We can discern his voice from our own thoughts and expectations of others by making a practice of learning which is which.        

(John 10:3-4) What does it mean that Jesus’ sheep “know his voice”? How can you discern his voice from your own thoughts and the expectations of others? 

Just as sheep know their sheperd's voice, as disciples of our Lord Jesus Christ, we must and need to discern and know His voice. For me, generally, the voice of Jesus (or the Holy Spirit) would be a voice of love, peace, honesty, integrity, patience, goodness, kindness, gentleness and self-control. Invariably, these are also fruits of the Spirit. If the voice that we "hear" does not point to these things, then it is either from the devil or our selfish desires. 

Q1. (John 10:3-4) What does it mean that Jesus’ sheep “know his voice”?

Know: to be aware of through observation, inquiry or information; To have a relationship with someone through meeting them, spending time with them, to be familiar or friendly with.

We don't automatically know Jesus' voice, we learn to know and recognize it as we are in relatonship with Him, spend time with Him, get used to how He sounds and speaks, and because what He says lines up with scripture...never contradicts His Word. 

I've learned to discern His voice through years of listening, testing the Spirit, some mistakes (when what I heard was only what I wanted to hear!) If I'm in doubt, I ask Him to confirm what I've heard, in scripture. He always answers those prayers..He doesn't want us in the dark, or listening to satan or demons or the wishful thinking of our own voice. His is a gentle and quiet voice which I hear in my spirit rather than with my ears.

Q1. (John 10:3-4) What does it mean that Jesus’ sheep “know his voice”? How can you discern his voice from your own thoughts and the expectations of others?

His followers (those who belong to him) and have yeilded their life to him, will know and recognise the sound of his voice. Often it is difficult to discern between ones own thoughts, and pressures/expectations of others and society. One way of knowing the difference is to consider what the bible says about the mattter.

Q1. (John 10:3-4) What does it mean that Jesus’ sheep “know his voice”? How can you discern his voice from your own thoughts and the expectations of others?

The phrase Jesus' sheep"know his voice", means that true believers who obey Jesus commands and are filled with Holy Spirit know the voice and follow Him.

One must learn to discern the voice of the Holy Spirit by filtering out all other thoughts, problems and annoying noise during your prayer time. The pressure of modern day demands can load our minds with all sorts of thoughts. Opening our minds during prayer will help us to know the voice of the Lord.  

The same as we recognize the voices of people close to us the same we recognize the voice of our Savior.  We learn to recognize it more as we send more time in His Word and in prayer.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q1. (John 10:3-4) What does it mean that Jesus' sheep "know his voice"?

Those that “know his voice” are those who believe he is who he says he is, it’s meaning goes deeper than just believing, it means they will follow in obedience, therefore, they will be faithful.

Q2. How can you discern his voice from your own thoughts and the expectations of others?

The Bible is my guide in discerning his voice, as the Son speaks for the Father.

What is disturbing to me is that many believers today have gone astray and are not able to discern the voice of God, from the voice of society, they appear to be lukewarm to the precepts of God, and have lost their song, “I have longed for thy salvation, O LORD; and thy law is my delight” (Psalm 119:174) as far too many have fallen to the “expectations of society” and have ears to hear their voice that calls black, white, and white, black.

1.To know Jesus voice we first have to know Jesus. I know when Satan is speaking because it is never good.. You have to pray and study His word and when He speaks in that still soft voice you will know and you will glorify Him.

2.you truly have to know Him. While I am praying many thoughts goes through my mind about everything you have to pray for the Holy Spirit to clear your mind and just keep praying. the devil will do anything to keep a prayer from going anywhere. Keep praying until you get your prayer through.

Q1. (John 10:3-4) 

What does it mean that Jesus' sheep "know His voice"? 

How can you discern His voice from your own thoughts and the expectations of others?

All true believers are new creatures: “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5:17). God imparts new spiritual life to us, we are “born again" and have the Holy Spirit to help us and guide us in life. We have put our trust in the Lord Jesus and have received a new nature. This new nature gives us the ability to hear and know His voice. As we mature as Christians and develop a loving relationship with our Lord and Saviour, we find ourselves able to internally hear and know His voice. Of course, Jesus as our Shepherd, knows every believer who has been given by the Father. Unfortunately, the world today has rejected our Lord and the result is that their hearts are hardened, their ears are deaf, and their eyes blinded. However, believers with soft and tender hearts are able to hear His voice and yield to Him in true obedience. The normal ways God communicates with us is through prayer, His Word, and the leadings of the Holy Spirit. Often He will also send people across our way to preach His pure doctrines. It is up to us to “be still” and to be willing to hear, Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." However, often we are so busy with our “shopping list” that we rarely ever take the time to listen to what God is telling us. Sometimes the Bible refers to the Son of God as “the Word of God”; as in John 1:1 and Rev 19:13. We know from 2 Timothy 3:16 that all Scripture is "breathed out by God" and is a guide for the righteous life. It is therefore important for us to study His Word. While we meditate and study His Word we will often be able to hear His voice. As we read, we must listen. The Holy Spirit will help us and guide us to stay focused on The Word and be obedient to His commands, and not be distracted and side tracked into the sinful desires of the world. The better we know our Shepherd, the less we have to worry about heeding the wrong voice, because we will know His voice. 

It means that believers or followers will recognise when they are called by him.  It can be difficult to hear the difference between your own thoughts and his voice.  The key is not to act too speedily, but to pray and meditate beforehand.

Sheep that know Jesus' voice know and trust and follow Him. There is a love relationship- the shepherd has demonstrated trustworthiness and the sheep follow Him. They know His voice; it's a voice like no other. It gives comfort, peace, safety, and nourishment - water, food-bread. The call to follow, that is to obey, promises life and light.

The Holy Spirit tells our spirit that His voice is the voice to follow.

If we are in the Word, we learn to recognize His voice by just being in the Word, that is studying, meditating, and praying in the Word.

Fellow Christians can help us also so we are not to give up meeting together.

Q1. (John 10:3-4) What does it mean that Jesus' sheep "know his voice"? How can you discern his voice from your own thoughts and the expectations of others?

We do know right from wrong, but we can fool ourselves based on selfish habits we have allowed to develop in our lives, or habits based on subtle fears, learned experiences where we have not consulted wise people before taking action. Do w do something to help another, with no expectation or need for more than a thank you. 

When we needs something, do we really need it or do we just want it because <reason is not validated with a wise one> we want it. Is it impulsive? Are we restless, tired or discontent in a situation? Can we hear Jesus when we are not comfortable, relaxed or other than calm. 

A friend told me "breathe and pray, breathe and pray, breathe..." This may not always work, but by going slow and breathing and praying, one can avoid a lot of mistakes; and maybe in the end get more done which is really good than just living by trial and error. God made us smart, and being smart means we need to call on him to help us decide what to do.

When in doubt, pray and also call someone you trust who is christian.

Sl easy to say, not so easy to do consistently. Getting advice from experienced Christian who know you and what going on in your life is a smart idea. Trying to learn this quickly doesn't work. Just like falling deeper in love and trust takes time.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (John 10:3-4)

What does it mean that Jesus’ sheep “know his voice”?

Jesus is referring to the intimate relationship between the shepherd and his own sheep -- mutual knowledge. When the sheperd makes the peculiar call, the sheeps know its their own master.

He calleth his own sheep by name. It was customary, and is still, we are told by travellers, for shepherds to give particular names to their sheep, by which they soon learned to regard the voice of the shepherd. By this our Saviour indicates, doubtless, that it is the duty of a minister of religion to seek an intimate and personal acquaintance with the people of his charge; to feel an interest in them as individuals, and not merely to address them together; to learn their private wants; to meet them in their individual trials, and to administer to them personally the consolations of the gospel.

Once we learn to discern Jesus' voice -- the leading of the Spirit, same thing -- then he can guide us, teach us, and use us much more effectively than before.

The sheep hear his voice. The voice of the shepherd. A flock will readily discern the well-known voice of one who is accustomed to attend them. The meaning is, that the people of God will be found disposed to listen to the instructions of those who are appointed by Christ, who preach his pure doctrines, and who show a real love for the church of God. There is scarcely any better test of fidelity in the pastoral office than the approbation of the humble and obscure people of God, when they discern in the preacher the very manner and spirit of the doctrines of the Bible.

Own desires, family desires, and the pressures of this world is the voice that is not of Jesus. This is the reason why we are drawned closer to God so he can lead us to a nice place-heaven.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (John 10:3-4) What does it mean that Jesus' sheep "know his voice"? How can you discern his voice from your own thoughts and the expectations of others?

At night, sheep were often gathered into a sheepfold to protect them from thieves, weather, or wild animals. The sheepfolds were caves, sheds, or open areas surrounded by walls made of stones or branches. We are Jesus' sheep and we hear his voice because we believe He is the son of God. The shepherd often slept in the fold to protect the sheep. Just as a shepherd cares for his sheep, Jesus, the good shepherd, cares for his flock (those who follow him) like us. The prophet Ezekiel, in predicting the coming of the Messiah, called him a shepherd

We as believers read the word and follow it. The holy spirit is with us and we are able to discern because we hear his voice through His word. 

• 2 months later...

Those that follow Jesus knows his voice. They know his words. They feel as one with him. I find that I can discern the voice of Jesus versus myself or others by weighing my thoughts against the teachings of the bible. I realize that God and Jesus will not only talk through my thoughts, but they will also put things into my heart and soul. The feeling to what they are saying take up more than one feeling in me. There will also be external signals to lead me to make the right decision.

• 1 month later...

What does it mean that Jesus' sheep "know his voice"?   Jesus is telling us all that, as Christians, we should know Him intimately and when we do, we must listen for his voice and obey His teachings and commands.  When you hear Him and “know his voice”, you hear him speak to you in your heart and, denying our own will, we must do His will instead.

How can you discern his voice from your own thoughts and the expectations of others?  When there is confusion in our lives, obviously we should pray passionately, but if the confusion remains, all we have to do to hear His true voice is to see what the inspired Word of God, the Bible, has to say.  Those of “His flock” know His voice (through the gospels) and we know full-well that He will never, ever lie or lead us counter to what He’s taught in His Holy Word (Titus 1:2).

• 1 year later...

When as a young Christian, getting to know the scriptures, I still remember how amazed I was that we can hear Jesus speaking in such personal ways through His Word. How the words would "jump off the page", becoming rhema words. 

It certainly is a learning process to hear Jesus' voice guiding us through our life, learning discernment, often through making mistakes. I think a big part of this is coming back to the scripture: If you hold to my teaching, you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.

Satan is very quick to shout at us,  making us feel guilty with a tormenting feeling, accusing us. What a blessing it was when slowly I learnt the difference, understanding that the Lord corrects and disciplines us, but always in such love and no condemnation!!! 

• 1 year later...

It means that they can discern His voice from all others and know how to obey it. Yes, but at times I have to trouble discerning my thoughts from it. I jump the gun thinking my thoughts were His voice. I know I have a lot to learn yet. It means to be still and knowing when God is God and know when He is speaking to you. 

• 2 years later...

The true members of God's true people will recognize Christ as the true Leader, the true Shepherd.  They follow the Shepherd in a spontaneous way just like the blind man in the previous chapter.

A deep sense of peace.   No butterflies inside my soul.   God's direction is characterized with a deep sense of joy and peace.   To come to this point may not happen overnight.   A time of prayer and consulting with people with better wisdom are necessary.   It can be a painful process.  A period of serious soul searching is needed at times to come to a proper decision.