JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Martha's Confession

• 1 month later...

Q3. (John 11:27) Based on Luke 10:38-42, what is Martha’s reputation compared to that of her sister Mary?

Martha was serving as was expected in that culture. She opened her home to Jesus. She was a dutiful, competent hostess and homemaker but was distracted by all of the preparations which went along with entertaining guests. In her anger, she blamed Jesus for "not caring" that she was left to do all of the work while Mary sat and listened. She demanded He tell Mary to help her! (Not a very gracious hostess) 

Mary may have been seen by others as a slacker compared to Martha. Mary sat at Jesus' feet and ignored hostess duties. She may have seemed irresponsible or lazy to those with expectations that she should be a "normal" woman busily serving while the men listened to Jesus.

What is so amazing about Martha’s confession? What does this tell us about her?

When Martha heard Jesus was coming she went out to meet Him. She chastened Him again for not being there when Lazarus died....but added that she believed that God the Father would give Jesus whatever He asked...so she had hope and belief in Who Jesus is, which hints that she hoped Jesus would raise Lazarus from the dead as she knew He had raised others. Her confession is amazing because we don't get the impression that she spent time at His feet. She may have been eavesdropping while cooking and preparing, because one would think the confession would have come from Mary, that Jesus is the Messiah.

Which of the sisters seems more spiritual on this day – Martha or Mary?

Martha appears to be more spiritual, since she went out to meet Him, (again, being the hostess) while Mary stayed inside with the other mourners, and it was Martha who declared Jesus is Messiah. But when He comes, Mary falls at His feet in devotion and love.

We tend to draw conclusions based on little information. Martha's personality was assertive, and in charge, as well as outspoken. The "elder sister" and the owner of the home, so more of a take charge kind of gal, still on duty in the face of her brother's death and ready to plan the funeral and entertain the mourners in her home and to confront Jesus for His delay...but in a faithful, hopeful kind of way. I admire her strength of character in the face of such loss.

Mary sounds more passive and contemplative by nature, used to Martha being in charge. Mary was grieving in the way she lived her life, quietly, one of the group. She may not appear to be as spiritual as Martha, but only because Mary was not visible. I relate more to Mary, because my personality is similar to what little we read about her. If there is a Martha handy with the gift of service who knows what she's doing, I'm happy to step out of the way and just listen and observe rather than lead. Although I can lead when asked or there is a need. I'm more comfortable listening than talking in a group.

(John 11:27) Based on Luke 10:38-42, what is Martha’s reputation compared to that of her sister Mary? What is so amazing about Martha’s confession? What does this tell us about her? Which of the sisters seems more spiritual on this day – Martha or Mary? 

Martha's reputation, compared to that of her sister Mary, is that of an busy and active person; whereas Mary is contented to sit and wait at the Lord's feet. Martha's great confession given immediately after her brother's death shows that she is a woman of remarkable faith. Her confession ranks similar to that of John the Baptist, Nathaneel, the Samaritans, Peter and Thomas. It would seem that Martha would be more spiritual on this day - she went out to meet Jesus and her confession that He is the Son of God.  

(John 11:27) Based on Luke 10:38-42, what is Martha’s reputation compared to that of her sister Mary?

1.  Martha's reputation is that she is always busy to sit down and talk with Jesus and because of that she is seen as not as "spiritual" as Martha.   

What is so amazing about Martha’s confession? What does this tell us about her?

2.  The amazing thing about Martha's confession is that it shows she is a woman of remarkable faith.  Martha recognizes that Jesus is the Son of God.

3.  I think that Martha seems more spiritual on this day.  Martha always being the one that was busy took the time out to go and meet Jesus.  When Mary did see Jesus she said "Sir, if you had been here, my brother would still be alive".  To me, this showed a little bit of doubt.

Q3. (John 11:27) Based on Luke 10:38-42, what is Martha's reputation compared to that of her sister Mary? What is so amazing about Martha's confession? What does this tell us about her? Which of the sisters seems more spiritual on this day -- Martha or Mary?

Martha was the more active of the two while Mary was the more quiet and sedentary.

Martha's confession showed that she was a very spiritual person and probably  did more than just cook while in the kitchen.  I am glad for the Martha's of the world.  Yes they get tired and maybe feel put upon and they need our appreciation and yes they do think about things while they work and they do care.  They are servers, givers of themselves for others.

Martha seems more spiritual on this day and I am glad she went out to see Jesus alone.  When you spend time alone with Jesus you always leave blessed.

God Bless

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q3. (John 11:27) Based on Luke 10:38-42, what is Martha’s reputation compared to that of her sister Mary? What is so amazing about Martha’s confession? What does this tell us about her? Which of the sisters seems more spiritual on this day – Martha or Mary?

In Luke 10, Martha was busy serving, perhaps this was her way of showing Jesus that she believed in him (that he was the Christ) and that she put all her faith in him. But as a result of her complaing to the Lord that her sister Mary was not helping her with the serving, Jesus was able to teach her that serving was not the only way to express her dedication and love to him. Mary was also doing that by sitting with Jesus and recieving his teaching. What Mary was doing, perhaps would be more benificial, than rushing around trying to serve.

So in John 10, I do not judge one womans faith in the Lord to be greater than the other. I see it as each woman expressing their different personalities in the face of grief. Martha running to meet Jesus to express her faith in him and the other, caught up in the moment, mourning with the rest of the Jews.

Q3. (John 11:27)

Based on Luke 10:38-42, what is Martha's reputation compared to that of her sister Mary?

Martha's reputation is that of someone always on the move doing something.

What is so amazing about Martha's confession?

Martha connfession about Jesus being the son of God shows her the level of great faith

What does this tell us about her?

Martha is not just a busy body but one who is spiritual too.

Which of the sisters seems more spiritual on this day -- Martha or Mary?

Martha seems more spiritual this day.

Q3. (John 11:27) Based on Luke 10:38-42, what is Martha’s reputation compared to that of her sister Mary? What is so amazing about Martha’s confession? What does this tell us about her? Which of the sisters seems more spiritual on this day – Martha or Mary?

Based on Luke 10:38-42 Martha is a person who seems to be a person who is always busy serving others as compared to Mary, who is more interested in listening to Jesus and not caring so much for others.

Martha at Jesus return after Lazarus death confesses to Jesus that he is the Son of the living God. She says she knows those who believe in Jesus will be resurrected  at the end of time.

Even though Martha was busy serving others she must have been listening to and watching Jesus. She is a busy body indeed but knows Jesus is the Messiah.

Martha seems to be the more spiritual person at Jesus return than Mary. She knew if Jesus had been there before Lazarus death, Jesus could have healed him, this she was certain of. 

Martha’s personality has been portrayed in a bit of a one-dimensional way, that she was a strong type-A who was in everybody’s business.  She was definitely an organizer and hard worker who was focused on the task at hand, which seems to have made it more difficult for her to see the moment at hand.  Mary grasped the moment, stopped everything to savor it, and probably just knew the rest would be there when she got to it.

But Martha’s confession was rock-solid and clear.  She believed that Jesus was the Messiah, the promised Son of God that the Jews had been waiting for.  Martha wasn't one to sit and listen, but over time she had certainly been watching Jesus and hearing His message even with her body in motion tending to tasks.  When she heard Jesus was finally coming into Bethany, she is the activist who dropped everything to run directly to Him with her sorrow and affirmation of faith.  It was Martha who pointed grief-stricken Mary to Jesus.  And perhaps it was her highest gift of worship to serve according to the personality and gifts God had given her.  Wisdom for us all, I’d say.

Q3. (John 11:27) Based on Luke 10:38-42, what is Martha's reputation compared to that of her sister Mary?

I can relate to some degree with the personality of Martha, more than I can with the personality of Mary.

It is a well known fact that we all have different personalities and body makeup, Martha may have been more of a perfectionist, while Mary’s personality may have been more easy going, therefore, Mary was more able to take life in its stride; The lesson I gleaned and am still working on comes from the wisdom of truth the Messiah spoke to Martha when he said, “Martha, Martha, you are “CAREFUL” and “TROUBLED” about “MANY” things: But one thing is needful (required) and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.

It was Martha’s personality, not her faith, that made it easier for “WORRY” to come in, and if worry is not checked, it can easily take control. There is a difference between “worry” and “concerns.”

Martha did not check her concerns, therefore, she being Martha allowed herself to become “careful”, the word is (merimnaō) – and it means to be anxious about: - to take thought, Martha’s anxiety lead to her being troubled, (disturbed) about many things – This lesson takes me back to a lesson  on worry in (Matthew 6:25) Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought, (merimnao) for your life = be not careful, anxious (like Martha was) what you will eat, or what you will drink; nor for your body, what you will put on.

Jesus was helping Martha to understand the “one thing” not good was - she allowed the concerns of life to overcome her, to take first place in her life, this is why she became disturbed and troubled about many things, and in so doing, she lost sight of the most important part of the day, resting in Him, being with Him.

There is one thing that is required of us, that we not let the cares of this life take control.

This is a lesson my “personality” is working on, but there is good news, I am doing much better and I am thankful to God for that.

Q4. What does this tell us about her?

As soon as Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went and met him, while Mary sat in the house, the custom in that day was to sit in mourning for seven days, they would sit on the floor or on a low stool and would abstain from all ordinary work and diversions, while friends would come and visit in order to comfort and to pray with them.

Martha understood the lesson Yeshua, Jesus taught her in (Luke 10:41-42)  not to allow the cares of life to take control, therefore, Martha set customs aside and left the house, as she eagerly went out to greet him.

Q5. Which of the sisters seems more spiritual on this day -- Martha or Mary?

It would be a big mistake for me to try to make a judgment call between these sisters who loved Jesus and who were both loved by Him, however, I do see great spiritual growth in Martha, I see she learned to lay aside the anxieties of life as she joyfully went out to greet Jesus saying, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died, but I “KNOW”, even still, whatsoever you will ask of God, God will give it to you. (V21-22)

Based on Luke 10:38-42, what is Martha's reputation compared to that of her sister Mary? 

Which of the sisters seems more spiritual on this day - Martha or Mary?

I feel that both have excellent qualities, but only in a different way. Martha is a very practical person, and is so busy being a good hostess, gracious and polite, that she has not so much time to be with the Lord. She is the one that took the lead in extending a warm welcome to Jesus. Mary is the more relaxed sister seated at Jesus’ feet listening to her beloved Saviour. Both loved the Lord dearly. When Jesus asks Martha directly if she believes Jesus is who He said He was, it might look like she did not fully understand the meaning of what Jesus had said, yet she accepts Him. 

She confesses He is the Christ, the Son of God, who has come from God Himself into the world. We should note that she made this confession before Jesus had raised her brother from the dead and not afterwards! I do not think we can say which of the sisters is the more spiritual. 

Based on Luke, Martha has been given a reputation as less spiritual than her sister.  Martha’s confession shows that this is not so.  She declares her faith in Jesus as the Son of God.  This tells us that, like Thomas, she is a multifaceted character.  Mary is a less active person, but as soon as she realises that Jesus is calling for her, she goes immediately.  I don’t see this as less spiritual.  She just has a quieter character.

• 3 weeks later...
  Luke 10:38-42 John 11:20-32

Martha Activist and busybody. Rushes to meet Jesus

Mary Sits at the Lord's feet listening. Sits quietly at home, then comes and falls at his feet.

Q3. (John 11:27) Based on Luke 10:38-42, what is Martha's reputation compared to that of her sister Mary? What is so amazing about Martha's confession? What does this tell us about her? Which of the sisters seems more spiritual on this day -- Martha or Mary?

Luke 10:38-42

John 11:20-32

Martha

Activist and busybody.

Rushes to meet Jesus

Mary

Sits at the Lord's feet listening.

Sits quietly at home, then comes and falls at his feet.

What is true is that remaining in Christ is about the moment of NOW, the moment of truth with God and His presence in us to lead us.

For this reason I find it hard to compare Mary and Martha, two different personalities, two different walks with Jesus, each is exactly as God would have it, for reporting in the bible. Jesus gave Martha the opportunity to confess her faith and she did it. MARY WAS NOT THERE AT THAT MOMENT. This also was God's plan, since Jesus had rebuked her when she earlier had criticized Mary. It would appear that Martha in Jesus' presence grows greatly in faith. This was God's plan for her, to document forever in this Gospel moment.

Also, recall that when Martha went to get Mary, she left immediately. Perhaps she was waiting quietly for Him to come? Or she heard God tell her to wait...  so that Martha would have her moment alone with Jesus, to confess her faith?

So may this moment of bible study give us all a moment of meditation like Mary, who was not there until Lazarus was actually raised. That in this moment we might believe in HIM in a stronger way that will REMAIN in us, or at least in ME, and I pray for anyone reading this to grow in prayer and meditation at this moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on Luke 10:38-42, what is Martha’s reputation compared to that of her sister Mary?

Luke 10:38-42

Martha

Activist and busybody.

Mary

Sits at the Lord's feet listening.

Verse 40. Martha was cumbered about much serving. Was much distracted with the cares of the family, and providing suitably to entertain the SaviourHer anxiety was to provide suitable entertainment for the Lord Jesus. As mistress of the family, this care properly devolved on her; and the only fault which can be charged on her was too earnest a desire to make such entertainment, when she might have sat with Mary at his feet, and, perhaps, too much haste and fretfulness in speaking to Jesus about Mary.

What is so amazing about Martha’s confession?

She believed in Jesus as the Christ and the Son of God, and the one who according to the prophet will come into the world.

'Yes, Lord,' she told him, 'I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world.'" (11:27)

Martha's confession ranks beside Peter's great confession: "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God" (Matthew 16:16).

It tell us that she is fully confident that Jesus is the Messiah, and her full belief that all that Jesus said is true.

This day Martha is more spiritual. This day she spent time with Jesus and confessed.

• 2 weeks later...

Martha is best known for being too busy to sit down and talk with Jesus (Luke 10:38-42). But here we see her as a woman of deep faith. Her statement of faith is exactly the response that Jesus wants from us.

Mary was more spiritual because she set on Jesus feet and listerned to what He was talking.

There is only one thing worth being concerned about Jesus said. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”

• 3 months later...

Based on the gospel of Luke, Martha was the one that took care of all the work in the house. She had to make sure that the guests were well taken care of. The Apostles might have thought that she was a bit stand offish. However, Martha was paying attention to what was being said and taught in her presence. She might not have sat and done nothing like her sister, but she knew the truth. She just served the Lord's human needs as a great hostess would. I feel that Martha is the one that was more spiritual. She served the needs of others and she was filled with the truth and she believed who Jesus was.

• 1 month later...

What is Martha's reputation compared to that of her sister Mary?   Martha appeared to be rather prickly and somewhat un-trusting. Mary put her faith in God and worshipped at Jesus' feet.

What is so amazing about Martha's confession?  In the face of a lot of doubt surrounding Jesus at that time, her confession clearly affirmed that she (absolutely) believed everything that He said about Himself and those who believe in Him.  This was her personal affirmation that Jesus was the promised Messiah, the Son of God and a clear acknowledgment that this man was the Son of God, God in the flesh, equal to and having the same persona as his Father. 

Which of the sisters seems more spiritual on this day?  Martha

• 1 year later...

Up till now I have only thought of Martha as we know her from Luke 10, as being very busy and worrying about running the household. But today I realise that Martha showed incredible spirituality in John 11. Both sisters expressed that they believed that Lazarus would not have died had Jesus been there. But for Martha to add that she knows, even now, whatever Jesus asks of God He will give to Him, shows tremendous faith.

In Luke 10 Jesus told Martha that Mary, in sitting at His feet, had chosen the better thing. It seems that Martha had listened to Jesus' advice and changed. It certainly would appear that way, reading this profound and beautiful discourse she had with Jesus at this most difficult time.

• 1 year later...

Martha’s reputation compared to that of her sister Martha is that of a busybody and Mary is one that is sitting with Jesus and listening to him. Martha’s confession shows that she really believes in Jesus. They both showed that they are spiritual it is just they showed it in different ways.

• 7 months later...

Mary is the one who serves and takes cares of the household and also invites the guests as the hostess. 

It is amazing because she chose to go to Him first and tell Him how she felt about the situation. She also told him truthfully that she did believe in Him and His ability to resurrect her brother from the dead. They both showed that they were spiritual just one was stronger than the other. 

• 2 years later...

Martha was overcharged about much service; she had much distraction and drawn different ways.  Christ exhorted that self-control and prayer will keep one free from worry and being overcharged with anxiety (Luke 21: 34).  Martha was anxious and agitated;  Christ warns us not to have anxiety and worry.

In the midst of her businesses, Martha believed in bodily Resurrection and eternal life and confessed Jesus to be the Christ and God's Son (John 11: 23-37).  She wasn't a theologion nor a member of the Sandhedrin;  Martha believed in her heart and confessed with the mouth made unto salvation (Roman's 10:10).

Martha was a serious inquirer; she was teachable.    Their home was truly an oasis of peace for Christ and his disciples.   In the midst of her anxiety and multi-tasking, her heart was receptive to the Good News.  The established hierarchy in Jerusalem was opposed to Christ and wouldn't offer such hospitality.

Mary is more spiritual than Martha.  Martha acknowledged that Christ is the Messiah and Son of God.  It seems her faith could go no further to include the dire need of her brother.  Martha stop short of a direct request to raise Lazurus from the dead. Mary made no direct request concerning Resurrection neither; however, she put first things first:  she sat at Jesus' feet and took time to let his words to sink into her consciousness. To hear the Word of God is crucial; she is a Berean Christian.  Mary was not distracted by the cares of life.  Mary stays at the feet of Christ .  Mary like Martha are upset but Mary has an attitude if deep humility and profound reverence of Jesus Christ and earnest prayer at his feet..  John underscores the element of hearing many times in the Book of Revelation.  Martha had some unbelief at the tomb of Lazurus.  Christ had to remind Martha to have faith despite that her brother was in the grave for four days. 

• 9 months later...

Which of the sisters seems more spiritual on this day -- Martha or Mary?

Martha seems to be a person that is very busy and delights in having her guests be given everything 'just right'.  Nothing must be out of place.  She is known to serve and not sit still. Mary in turn is satisfied to see that things are as up to speed as need be and so she takes the opportunity to sit at the Lord's feet and listen to Him.  She does not see the need to still putter around, when Martha is doing that very efficiently anyway.

Martha stated clearly that she believed that Jesus was indeed the Christ, the Son of God.   There was no doubt in her mind.

In spite of her always being busy serving and not sitting still, she listened and also believed. I think it was just in her nature and that it was not easy for her to sit still, whereas Mary was just the opposite.  She was a more quiet person and did not go against her nature but sat enrapt at the Master's feet, when He came and spoke at their home on previous occasions.  Martha just tried doing far more than was needed. She too could have joined her sister and together they could have served their guests later.  But Martha became frustrated at the apparent uncaring attitude of her sister.  Her dialogue with Jesus, on this occasion, proves that she too trusts Him devotedly.

On this day Martha seems stronger in her faith than Mary.