JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

(John 14:8) What happens after Jesus’ “glorification” that enables believers to do greater things than Jesus? Is this promise limited to the apostles? Why are Christians today uncomfortable with this promise? 

After Jesus' glorification and ascension to heave, He sent the Holy Spirit to us. It is with the Holy Spirit in us that enables us to do greater works that Jesus. This promise is not limited to the apostles but extends to all who believe and call upon the Lord Jesus. Christians are uncomfortable with this promise because they believe that the age of miracles have passed. Undeniably, Jesus is still working miracles in our lives today. Christians who do not believe are just using it as an excuse for unbelief. Jesus please help us in our unbelief.

Q5. (John 14:8) What happens after Jesus’ “glorification” that enables believers to do greater things than Jesus?

When Jesus returned to the Father and was Glorified (It is wonderful to think of their reunion!!!!) the Holy Spirit was released into the world to indwell and empower each believer.

Is this promise limited to the apostles?

This promise is to every believer!

Why are Christians today uncomfortable with this promise?

I think it is due to incorrect teaching, which results in prejudice and actual indoctrination against the empowering of the Holy Spirit. Fear is a part of it as well. It's been my experience that some pastors don't want to deal with the Holy Spirit in their churches so they "outlaw" or shun Him. And as the statistics state that 90% of Christians have never read their Bibles all the way through, preferring to be spoon fed, many just don't know the promise is for them.

Q5. (John 14:8) What happens after Jesus’ “glorification” that enables believers to do greater things than Jesus? Is this promise limited to the apostles? Why are Christians today uncomfortable with this promise?

The answer is the Holy Spirit comes to live in us.  All who know Jesus receive the Holy Spirit.  I think the uncomfortableness of this promise lies along the lines of what if He asks me to do something I am uncomfortable with or have never done.  This is where faith and trust enter in.  Quite marvelous of God, to make all things possible but not to do it without something on our part, the willingness to let the Holy Spirit have His way in us.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q5. (John 14:8)

Q. What happens after Jesus' "glorification" that enables believers to do greater things than Jesus?

A. He asked the Father to send the Holy Spirit to indwel and empower us to the works Jesus did.

Q. Is this promise limited to the apostles?

A. No. I am qualified for the promise. Praise God.

Q. Why are Christians today uncomfortable with this promise?

A. They doubt the truth of the word of God but their doubt does not invalidate the promise.

The Holy Spirit descended on the apostles causing them to become passionate and fearless evangelisers and miracle-workers.  In a single day they converted 3000 people.  This promise was not limited to the apostles, but to all Christians.  Some Christians are uncomfortable because they are very lukewarm and have no wish to be swept off their feet on a spiritual journey which will rock their lives.

What happens after Jesus' "glorification" that enables believers to do greater things than Jesus? 

When the Lord returned to heaven, He was glorified, and the Holy Spirit was sent to earth. Jesus had told the apostles that those who believed on Him would perform miracles like He did, and even greater works. It was through the Spirit's power that the apostles performed these greater miracles. However, this promise is not limited to the apostles, it is available to all believers today! Just as Jesus said it would be – “anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these.” Later in the book of Acts we read of many miracles of healing performed by the apostles. An example of an even greater miracle was the conversion of three thousand on the day of Pentecost. As a Christian I am uncomfortable with people who say they perform miracles in Jesus’ name. Maybe because there are so many false, so called healings, being ‘performed’ that there is a stigma attached to this type of healing. No one takes it seriously and realise it is a money making scheme. A scam. Also, not one of the so called miracle healings has ever been filmed. When I think about it, it is a greater miracle to save souls for eternity than to heal their physical bodies. J.C. Ryle said: “There is no greater work possible than the conversion of a soul.” 

Q5. (John 14:8) What happens after Jesus' "glorification" that enables believers to do greater things than Jesus? Is this promise limited to the apostles? Why are Christians today uncomfortable with this promise?

Perhaps it is because when Jesus goes to the Father he will send “the Counselor to be with you [believers] forever”(14:15-17a, 16:7). In addition perhaps Jesus meant that collectively, his people would achieve greater things than he did. However it is still a struggle to believe that any of us would achieve the miracles that Jesus did, through his name.

This promise is not limited to the apostles but applies to all believers (14:8) “...anyone who has faith in me...”

(John 14:8) What happens after Jesus’ “glorification” that enables believers to do greater things than Jesus?

• The believer is enabled by the Holy Spirit who will be poured out on them.

• No, this promise is not limited to the apostles but available to all believers.

• Christians today are uncomfortable with this promise because they believe the age of miracles is past. 

Lesson 24 Question 5

After Jesus was glorified, the Holy Spirit, as promised, was given to the disciples on Pentecost. The Holy Spirit comes to live inside us and since the Holy Spirit is begotten of the Father and the Son, we have the power of God dwelling in us. Wow!

The promise of the Holy Spirit includes the promise that the Holy Spirit will be with the Apostles  forever. I believe that this promise implies that it is not only for the apostles but is a gift for every Christian.

I expect Christian today are uncomfortable with this promise because we don't see it happening. But we don't see it because we don't look for it, that is, we don't believe it. It points to our lack of faith. God help us to have more faith.

Q5. (John 14:8) What happens after Jesus’ “glorification” that enables believers to do greater things than Jesus? Is this promise limited to the apostles? Why are Christians today uncomfortable with this promise?

The things we can do after Jesus glorification is that he sent us the Holy Spirit to dwell within us. With out the Holy Spirit we could do nothing that Jesus had done while on earth. The Holy Spirit enables us to have the confidence and words that Jesus wants us to say to the believers and unbelievers. With his power we can do the works Jesus did and even greater if he wants us to.

This power of the Holy Spirit was not just limited to the apostles of Jesus time. Some Christians believe we no longer need these miracles, because we have the Holy Spirit to convert people. Christ work comes in many forms, even to the extant of talking in tongues and healing people, Gods power is present in us and this power transforms many hearts.

Christians of some denominations are afraid of these promises because they think it maybe the work of charlatans or false teachers. I believe they limit the Holy Spirit's work in us by not believing Christ promises, he wanted us to carry out his work not limit it.     

• 3 weeks later...

After being glorified by the Father in resurrection and return to heaven, Jesus fulfilled His promise (vs.16-17a) to ask the Father to send our Helper, the Spirit of Truth.  Believers have the presence of the Spirit within us (vs.17b), and with His multiplied presence in the world, even greater things can be accomplished by God than what Jesus could do in His physical body living in one small region of the world for a few brief years.  And I also think we’d expect the Son of God to do powerful works, but it’s stunning and “greater” that this kind of power should also be expected for ordinary human beings!

This promise is for the apostles and all believers to come, since the Spirit is promised to all of us and there’s no difference mentioned anywhere in Scripture of how we will be spiritually equipped.  We are bestowed various spiritual giftings, but we all have the same power and purpose.  I believe that God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.  He still uses faith-filled people to work miracles today, as long as it is for validating truth, elevating Christ, and declaring God’s glory (for example, the gift of tongues is for building the Body of Christ by proclaiming the gospel to unknown language groups).  I confess that most of what I’ve seen in our day of “healings and miracles” through individuals makes me uncomfortable and skeptical because they don’t usually ring true with the reasons God works in this way.  But that doesn’t mean that He never does the exact same works through believers today that He enabled Jesus to do.

“Why are Christians today uncomfortable with this promise?”  Most Christians have accepted God in a neat little box, small enough for them to comprehend and manage.  Anything outside that paradigm is uncomfortable, and it’s easier to reject what we don’t understand.  Also, we’ve lost the true picture of the early church as we’ve become religiously institutionalized and meticulously-organized in modern times.  We’re often so structured that we leave no room for God’s variables.  And then, so many believers are simply afraid and/or lacking in faith.  We don’t even want to hear God’s voice because we fear what He might ask of us or where He might lead.  Or we don't really believe He would use us this way. 

Lord, open our hearts to whatever You want to do through us to validate truth, elevate Jesus, and bring glory to You!

• 2 weeks later...

Q. What happens after Jesus’ “glorification” that enables believers to do greater things than Jesus?

A. Another Comforter had come which is the Spirit of Truth and enabled them to do greater things. (14:16-18)

Q. Is this promise limited to the apostles?

A. No, its not. This is to all who believed in Jesus, loved Jesus, and obey Jesus' commandment (14:15)

Q. Why are Christians today uncomfortable with this promise?

A. Greater things means "greater Effect". Maybe some Christians sees things as a stained glass that is why we need to pray more about our fellow believers. Maybe they are still in a certain level and that someday they reach the level where things are see through already. And one day they will be effective as a disciples of Jesus. Jesus is still in the miracle business.

• 2 weeks later...

Q5. (John 14:8) What happens after Jesus' "glorification" that enables believers to do greater things than Jesus? Is this promise limited to the apostles? Why are Christians today uncomfortable with this promise?

Jesus is the visible, tangible image of the invisible God. He is the complete revelation of what God is like. Jesus explained to Philip, who wanted to see the Father, that to know Jesus is to know God. The search for God, for truth and reality, ends in Christ.

The promise of the Holy Spirit was that the Holy Spirit will be with the Apostles  forever. I believe that this promise implies that it is not only for the apostles but is a gift for every Christian. 

These believers wanted some type of confirmation just like the Pharisees. However, believers must walk by faith and not depend on sight (cf. 2 Cor. 4:18; 5:7) in spiritual matters. 

• 1 month later...

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. So clearly in the moment, I may find me faith to be good and strong. I can only believe that my surrender is not nearly what He expects, in doing these things. Even if I was a great spiritual leader, would I try to do things God has not planned? only in following Him perfectly (as he said in Matthew - you shall be perfect) only then would I be able to glorify Him by being the piece of clay I hope to be some day soon.

But to be comfortable with how we are now is also critical. God loves us and this is his plan today, that we answer these bible study questions and meditate on them deeply, even if it is uncomfortable.

I Pray that my surrender today will allow the Holy Spirit to bring me to an new place, that I am willingly wanting to surrender to.

• 3 months later...

What happens after Jesus' "glorification" that enables believers to do greater things than Jesus?  This Scripture is often taken out of context by people who believe it applies to miracles.  It’s important to remember to whom Jesus was addressing these comments (His Disciples).  Their “miracles” were, in some instances at least, equal to but most certainly not “greater” than His.  In addition to healing and raising the dead, Jesus walked on water, calmed a storm, fed the multitudes on a handful of fish and a few loaves of bread, died and was resurrected and then… He ascended into heaven!  No one before or after has EVER come close to replicating those events; nor has anyone ever exhibited the power over nature that He did.  In the miracle department, the apostles couldn’t hold a candle to Jesus; in the same way the average Christian simply can’t dispense miracles like the apostles did.  Miracles isn’t what He’s referring to here, the “greater things” that Jesus is talking about is delivering His message, spreading the good news and winning souls to the Lord.  Jesus saying “greater works than these” meant that the disciples (and us today) are to continue to develop a more widespread ministry.

Why are Christians today uncomfortable with this promise?  If you look at this from the perspective that He was actually talking about “greater miracles” then I can see how that would certainly make one feel more than a bit uncomfortable.  None of the prophets, nor any of Jesus’ Disciples, were ever able to duplicate, let alone exceed, all of the miracles that Jesus performed.  Jesus’ works were exceptional and He did (in His own words) “…works no one else did” (John 15:24).  Personally, I don’t see how any sane person could even remotely consider the notion that he/she could possess the same power and abilities as Jesus?   We are after all, human beings and because of our humanity, we are inherently sinners.  It would be diminishing Jesus greatly if we actually thought that we could do the things that He did.  Think about that for a moment; can we reasonably expect that, as sinful human beings, we should be able to do things that only the sinless Son of God could do?

The “greater things” that Jesus is talking about is preaching the gospel and winning souls, not miracles.  In fact, one of the last commands that He gave to His disciples was to go out and preach the Gospel.  Even though they could, when required, perform miracles, Jesus ‘great commission’ wasn’t about miracles.  It was about spreading the good news, preaching the gospel and developing a ministry that would spread throughout the entire world.  And it did!  The apostles took the good news, first to the Jews and then to the Gentiles and souls were won in vastly greater numbers than when Jesus was with them.  The entire book of Acts is the story of how, from its meager beginnings in Jerusalem, Christianity grew and how it was carried “to the ends of the earth.”  In the first century, Jesus gave the apostles a commission and the authority to preach the gospel and today, that same commission and authority falls to us.

• 3 years later...

The thing that happened after Jesus’ “glorification” is that the Holy Spirit came down on them which enabled them to be scattered and they had the gift of being able to express their beliefs to others. This promise was not limited to the apostles it was given to all who believed. I think that Christians are uncomfortable with this promise because we have been told that it doesn’t happen anymore.

• 7 months later...

What happened after His glorification was that the Holy Spirit came down and gave them the ability to speak in tongues they did not know. That also enabled them to be scattered abroad and express their faith to others who did not believe. This promise is not limited to the apostles; it is for everyone. I believe it is because some churches don't think it is viable or still occurs like it did in Bible times. 

• 2 years later...

The nine gifts of the Holy Spirit are bestowed to the Ecclesia--the called out ones.   What a glorious dispensation!   The Body of Christ here on earth can continue to do the work of Jesus Christ.   Greater works---going forth throughout the world preaching the Gospel confirmed by signs and wonders.   Carefully studied, we read that Luke diligently recorded that signs and wonders occurred as the Apostles preached the Gospel.   Church history bears this out as well.    Pentecostal events have taken place throughout the centuries.  During the Dark Ages, men and women of God healed the sick, raised the dead and cast out devils.   Early Franciscans and Dominicans had preaching crusades in which there were genuine conversions and healings and exorcisms.

I am not supporting charlatanism or fanaticism.   According to Psalm 68:18; Ephesians 4:8,  precious gifts have been bestowed to the Church of God.

• 9 months later...

What happens after Jesus’ “glorification” that enables believers to do greater things than Jesus?

The Holy Spirit is sent to empower believers to do great things.  This promise is not limited to the apostles.  Many have misused the giftings that have been promised and so it is an aspect that one is very careful of. I personally have experienced healings on different occasions.  So I do know it still happens in our day and age.