JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (John 14:27) If it doesn’t mean cessation of conflict in our everyday lives, what then is the peace that Jesus offers us now?

Shalom: Nothing missing, nothing broken. The inner peace that only Jesus can give us.

Jesus said: Peace I leave with you; My own peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. (Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.)

It means being in the "calm eye of the storms which swirl around us....at rest and trusting in His Sovereignty to care for us, regardless of what trouble comes. There will be no end of Jesus' peace.

(John 14:27) If it doesn’t mean cessation of conflict in our everyday lives, what then is the peace that Jesus offers us now?       

• The peace that Jesus offers is peace that is found in him.  This peace is a peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus' peace is a promise that he is with us forever.  It is a peace that offers comfort in place of conflict.

Q4. (John 14:27) If it doesn’t mean cessation of conflict in our everyday lives, what then is the peace that Jesus offers us now?

The peace that Jesus offers his followers is peace in the midst of trouble and conflict (Matt 10:34). Jesus offers his peace to his disciples and therefore to us (14:27).

(John 14:27) If it doesn’t mean cessation of conflict in our everyday lives, what then is the peace that Jesus offers us now? 

Jesus' peace is not like worldly peace. It is not absence of conflict. Jesus' peace is a state of peace and goodwill with the King of Kings; it is "peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ". It is also wholeness. Jesus' peace is a promise that He is with us forever.

Q4. (John 14:27) If it doesn't mean cessation of conflict in our everyday lives, what then is the peace that Jesus offers us now?

The peace Jesus meant was peace with God through Him. It also means wholeness of body, soul and spirit.

Q4. (John 14:27) 

If it doesn't mean cessation of conflict in our everyday lives, what then is the peace that Jesus offers us now?

The peace that Jesus offers is one which can result in great inner happiness. The Bible uses peace in two ways; there is the “peace with God” which comes when a person accepts Jesus Christ as Saviour, and then there is the “peace of God” which is available on a daily basis as the believer participates in the Christian way of Life according to the plan of God. Peace with God is one of the blessings that comes from a right relationship with God and it is never available apart from Grace. Since the Cross of Christ is the focal point of Grace it is the source of peace. Therefore, Jesus Christ is our eternal peace. It is a peace that does not depend on the circumstances of life. When we as believers respond by faith to Grace, we obtain this blessing of peace with God. Now, as believers we know that the penalty for our sins has been paid, and that all our sins have been forgiven. We will never be condemned, and since we have been justified through faith, we have this peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 5:1). What a blessing!

When I read this my first thought was "what difference, at this point, does it make".

It makes all the difference!  This world is not at peace with God and will be judged by God and feel His wrath but we have peace with God through the finished work of Jesus on the cross for us, as payment for our sin debt.  What a mighty, mighty God we worship and serve.

Hallelujeh!  Praise the Lord!

Shalom

Jen

Romans 15:13

Question 4

The result of the Holy Spirit's work in our lives is deep and lasting peace. Worldly peace is defined as the absence of conflict . This peace is assurance in any circumstance with Christ's

we have no need to fear the present or future. if our lives are filled with worldly happening we need to let the Holy Spirit fill us with Christ's peace 

The peace that Jesus offers us is a ‘peace that passes all understanding.’  We can live in great physical difficulties but have inner peace.  It is not dependent on the world, but on God’s Grace.  It is the peace given by total faith in God.

Q4. (John 14:27) Peace, if it doesn't mean cessation of conflict in our everyday lives, what then is the peace that Jesus offers us now?

Until the Messiah comes to rule with an Iron staff, bringing eternal Peace to a new world, there will be no peace, “EXCEPT” for the peace that passes all understanding, the peace that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, the peace that John the Baptist was talking about, “repent” for the Kingdom of Heaven is here; for the believer, we don’t have to wait, we can have “PEACE” in our hearts, even though there is no peace in the world, it is that “peace” that passes all understanding that will take us through to that glorious day when God will fulfill the rest of His Kingdom promises and will bring peace to the world, when the lion will live with the lamb, when the earth will be full of the Knowledge of the LORD.

The peace that Jesus leaves with us is the peace of knowing and experiencing him, in his love, mercy and grace. We may have conflict in the world we live in but we know he is always with us.

Lesson 25 Question 4    The Shalom - peace is also defined as general well-being - that we are promised. It is belonging to God in a state of reconciliation with God through Jesus Christ. God is with us. Isaiah 11: 6 - 9 tells of the pervasive change wrought by the Messiah.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus offers us the peace that was announced by the angels at the time of His birth as a human baby – the goodwill of God in extending peace toward man.  Through Christ, we who were enemies of God have been given the opportunity for forgiveness and redemption, for restoration to God and harmony with Him (Ephesians 2:13).  Such a peace-filled relationship was impossible on our own; only God could provide it for us.  And that peace was accomplished through Jesus. 

For us now on earth, this peace is manifested as an inner state of calmness and harmony with God.  We can live with a settled assurance that His presence with strength and comfort is certain and unfailing, and that His promises for our future are secured and eternal.  The fullness of His peace will one day be fully manifest outwardly throughout all creation under the rule of the Prince of Peace when God’s ultimate plan is accomplished as all things of heaven and earth are brought together in unity under the authority of Christ (Ephesians 1:10).  The assured hope of that day is unshakeable peace to us in this life!

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (John 14:27)

Q. If it doesn’t mean cessation of conflict in our everyday lives, what then is the peace that Jesus offers us now?

A.  Peace I leave with you. This was a common form of benediction among the Jews. Matthew 10:13. It is the invocation of the blessings of peace and happiness. In this place it was, however, much more than a mere form or an empty wish. It came from Him who had power to make peace and to confer it on all, Ephesians 2:15. It refers here particularly to the consolations which he gave to his disciples in view of his approaching death. He had exhorted them not to be troubled (John 14:1), and he had stated reasons why they should not be. He explained to them why he was about to leave them; he promised them that he would return; he assured them that the Holy Ghost would come to comfort, teach, and guide them. By all these truths and promises he provided for their peace in the time of his approaching departure. But the expression refers also, doubtless, to the peace which is given to all who love the Saviour.
Barnes' Notes on the New Testament.

But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.

I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid. 

The end result of the Holy Spirit’s work in our lives is deep and lasting peace. Unlike worldly peace, which is usually defined as the absence of conflict, this peace is confident assurance in any circumstance; with Christ’s peace, we have no need to fear the present or the future. If your life is full of stress, allow the Holy Spirit to fill you with Christ’s peace (see Philippians 4:6, 7 for more on experiencing God’s peace).

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (John 14:27) If it doesn't mean cessation of conflict in our everyday lives, what then is the peace that Jesus offers us now?

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (14:27)

First of all, there is only NOW, the present, but we can think a lot about the past or future. We can worry about what might never happen. Or we can believe that for those who trust in the Lord, all things happening NOW are for my good, but only if I'm fully surrendered, fully trusting Him.

Jesus offers peace and security NOW. Not in 5 minutes, but now.

When he says "don't be afraid." I think of all my self centered fears that limit my life. But I try not ot think too much, as I'm no longer "present"

If we trust Him in the present, NOW, then we have this peace. So prayer, meditation, how ver much it takes to be present and trust Him on everything.

• 3 months later...

Q4. (John 14:27) If it doesn't mean cessation of conflict in our everyday lives, what then is the peace that Jesus offers us now?   By and large, we humans don’t always find peace with the Lord to be easily attained.  Because of our humanity we quite often find ourselves at odds with Him simply because His will and ours are in conflict and when they are, we rebel.  When we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior we move beyond those conflicts and are no longer His enemy.  In spite of our humanity, when Jesus went to the cross He provided that peace with His precious blood.

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

It means peace of mind through conflict and trust in God where no matter what you can trust in Him.

• 5 months later...

The peace that Jesus is speaking of is the Holy Spirit which he has given to live within us. He said He would not leave us comfortless. Although we live in this world, we are not a part of it, for we have been chosen to be His family of a royal Priesthood.  We are holy and righteous, as He is, and are not of this world..  Knowing this gives us peace, not the kind that the world gives, if it even gives any, but the promised peace and gift that comes form God... the peace in knowing that we are saved and will be with Him in heaven... the joy in having that peace which sustains us in living in this world full of sorrow and darkness.  He gives us His own peace.. John 14:27.

• 9 months later...

Q4. (John 14:27) If it doesn't mean cessation of conflict in our everyday lives, what then is the peace that Jesus offers us now? The peace that Jesus offers us now is unchanging peace and goodwill anchored on God Himself through Jesus Christ. It is a peace that is with us always and forever as Jesus is always with us.

• 1 year later...

This peace that Christ promised is based on the Coming of the Holy Spirit that would be bestowed on Easter night (John 20:21-22).   It is peace of being freed from sin and United to God---far more important and precious than the transitory peace of the world (Roman's 5:1; 14:17).  This peace cannot be disturbed by Jesus' departure to his Father.

• 8 months later...

Well-being and blessing.  A calmness and quietness in spite of the storm / situation we find ourselves in.  He brings contentment. Removes all fear. Indeed a peace and a quiet.  Calmness in spite of the conflict.