JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Testifying

• 4 weeks later...

(John 15:26-27) What does it mean to “testify”? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus, or only the apostles who were eyewitnesses? 

To "testify" is to confirm or attest something on the basis of personal knowledge or belief, bear witness, be a witness, offer testimony. 

The Holy Spirit presents Christ's case for Him before the believers and the world.

The apostles are not the only ones who can give testimony. Though we were not eyewitnesses of the historical Jesus, we too must bear witness of what Jesus has done in our lives.

Q3. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to “testify”?

To speak and to bear witness to the truth of what one knows, has seen, and heard.

In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus?

He reminded the Apostles of what Jesus taught, He empowered their words when they spoke of Jesus and what He taught.

He reveals Jesus and makes Him known. He Glorifies and lifts Jesus up, never drawing attention to Himself.

He draws us to Jesus, then introduces us to our beautiful Lord when our hearts are open.

He gives us His words to speak when we don't know what to day...or brings scripture to mind when we need to speak it or need encouragement.

He testifies to Jesus as Creator when He draws our attention to the beauty in nature.

He speaks the language of God's love for us, to us.

Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus, or only the apostles who were eyewitnesses?

I can and do testify of my Jesus and about all that He has done and does for me and mine. I share how He miraculously spared my children and me from injury or death in a roll-over car accident, by showing me it was going to happen in a vision beforehand, so that I was wrapped in His peace and had no fear when it happened moments later. I share about the miraculous healings He has performed in my children and their health. I testify about how He has redeemed my life from the pit of abuse, death threats from both parents, severe beatings, my self esteem savaged as worthless and a bother, and  being terrorized by those who were supposed to protect me,  and brought me into a life of joy and fulfillment, having given me the desire and ability to forgive all wrongs. He is not only my best friend, but my beloved Lord and Savior, whom I'm looking for any day to take me to Himself forever. 

(John 15:26-27) What does it mean to “testify”? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus, or only the apostles who were eyewitnesses?   

• To "testify" means to tell what you have witnessed or know from personal experience.
  • The Spirit testifies from personal experience.
  • Yes, I can testify from personal knowledge about Jesus.  This is a perfect way to witness to other's by telling your personal experience with Jesus and all that he has done for you.       

Q3. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to “testify”? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus, or only the apostles who were eyewitnesses?

To "testify" means to tell of your personal experience (of Christ) (John 15:26, 27). Jesus reminded his disciples that they must tell what they know from their personal experience (v27) (from the notes). We can also testify from our personal experience and knowledge of Jesus because we can also encounter him (not in the physical sense that the disciples experienced) but in a spiritual sense because we have the paracletos.

Q3. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to “testify”? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus, or only the apostles who were eyewitnesses?

To testify means to tell the truth about what you have seen or heard.

It is the working of the Holy Spirit that gives us the courage, power, words, leading to tell the world about Jesus.  The Spirit is the power behind everything.  Though no one sees Him, they see or hear the words of the believers and the lives they lead that testify about Jesus through the power and promptings of the Spirit.

I can testify to what I have seen or heard only.  I have never walked this earth with Jesus in His physical form however I have walked with Him as my Lord and Savior.  I can testify what He did for me to bring me to Him, what He has saved me from, the hope that now resides within me, the joy, peace with God, His love within me.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

1. To testify means to tell others what Christ has done for you. In testifying you will plants seeds in other and they will want what you have.

2. Jesus used two names for the Holy Spirit Comforter and Spirit of Truth. The Comforter relays to us the helping and encouraging and strengthening work of the Spirit.  The Spirit of Truth points to the teaching and reminding work of the Spirit.

3.I read God's word and I can testify from personal knowledge about Jesus. The apostles were  eyewitnesses of Jesus teaching but I read the word and know it is true and this is how we keep our eyes on Jesus Christ  through his word. Jesus brings me peace from prayers he gives me strength when I am weak.Jesus is the only true friend we will ever have.

Q3. (John 15:26-27) 

What does it mean to "testify"? 

Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus, or only the apostles who were eyewitnesses?

To testify is to bear witness about our Lord Jesus – to tell everyone about the truth in this hostile world. The Holy Spirit testifies concerning Christ, and if the Lord Jesus Christ is real to us, we can be sure that the Holy Spirit is at work in us. He will explain to us the great love, grace, and mercy shown by our Lord Jesus, and that He is the Messiah. He will also explain about Jesus’ sufferings and death, His resurrection and ascension, and His exaltation at the right hand of God. Yes, we as believers who are in a close personal relationship, can testify from personal knowledge about our Lord Jesus. As Jesus commanded in Matt 28:19-20, we are to be bold with the truth of the gospel, however, we can be sure that this message will generally be met with much hostility and opposition. 

To testify is to witness, similarly to witnessing in a court case.  The Spirit testifies about Jesus through those he inspires.  When we are stuck for words, the Holy Spirit can move people on our behalf.  Although I was not an eyewitness to Jesus in a physical sense, I can testify as a believing Christian to my own experience of God’s mercy and the gift of the Holy Spirit, which carries on from age to age.

The meaning of to "testify"  means to bear witness of an event or person, also to offer testimony. 

The Holy Spirit testifies to us who Jesus is, to the true word of God, to bring to mind what to say at critical times. We are to testify what the Holy Spirit has done for us in our lives.

I can only testify who Jesus is, what he has done for me personally and the witnessing of his work in the world around me. Only the Apostles can testify to being eye witnesses to Jesus, his work, miracles and his teachings. 

Lesson 27 Question 3

To testify means to confirm or attest to , on the basis of a personal knowledge to the truth of something.

Jesus says in John 15: 26 that the Holy Spirit will testify about Him , that is, will impart knowledge about Jesus based on his personal experience - knowledge. The word testify implies that the Holy Spirit has intimate personal knowledge about the Son. But also, the Holy Spirit reminded the apostles of their own relationship with the Son when Jesus walked and talked with them. The Holy Spirit in this capacity is - the go-between God

We too can testify of our personal relationship with Jesus. The Holy Spirit helps us as well has it helped the original eyewitnesses -the Apostles.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to "testify"? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus, or only the apostles who were eyewitnesses?

To testify is to tell of what we know from experience ( and the Bible) about Jesus for example- the Gospel, what it is and how it has impacted our lives.

The Holy Spirit testifies about Jesus by explaining to what intends to tell us and also reminds us what Jesus did.

All Christians are expected to tell others about Jesus especially our own personal encounter with Jesus- how has changed our lives and our experiences with Him (Christ) since we put our faith in Him.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus, or only the apostles who were eyewitnesses?

To testify is to bear witness of the truth of Jesus Christ and his teachings.

The blessed Spirit will maintain the cause of Christ in the world, notwithstanding the opposition it meets with. Believers taught and encouraged by his influences, would bear testimony to Christ and his salvation.

I can testify my personal experience to someone about Jesus and what He has done in my life.

He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen--by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead.

The Gentials heard the good news Acts 10: 40 - 41

40 God raised Him up on the third day and granted that He become visible, 41 not to all the people, but to witnesses who were chosen beforehand by God, that is, to us who ate and drank with Him after He arose from the dead.42 "And He ordered us to preach to the people, and solemnly to testify that this is the One who has been appointed by God as Judge of the living and the dead.

Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus, or only the apostles who were eyewitnesses?

To testify is to bear witness of the truth of Jesus Christ and his teachings.

The blessed Spirit will maintain the cause of Christ in the world, notwithstanding the opposition it meets with. Believers taught and encouraged by his influences, would bear testimony to Christ and his salvation.

I can testify my personal experience to someone about Jesus and what He has done in my life.

He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen--by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead.

The Gentials heard the good news Acts 10: 40 - 41

40 God raised Him up on the third day and granted that He become visible, 41 not to all the people, but to witnesses who were chosen beforehand by God, that is, to us who ate and drank with Him after He arose from the dead.42 "And He ordered us to preach to the people, and solemnly to testify that this is the One who has been appointed by God as Judge of the living and the dead.

To testify is to give witness of what you know to be true from what you have personally seen, heard, and experienced.  The Spirit testifies of Jesus through those He indwells, the Body of Christ.  He testifies to us as He reminds us of His personal knowledge of Jesus’s words, as He enlightens our understanding and gives us the right thing to say to rightly represent the truth of Jesus at the time we need it.

Of course, we have not seen the physical Jesus, traveled with Him, listened to Him teach, observed His miracles, or watched Him die and then see Him risen from the grave and ascended to heaven.  But we each have personal knowledge of Christ as we have individually experienced Him working from within and seen the evidence of His outward work around us.  We can certainly give witness to what we know as our lives and hearts have been transformed into new creations, as our desires and motives are completely changed, as we are empowered for previously unimaginable service, as we have a new love and peace that didn’t exist before, as we possess an unearthly hope that sees us through hardship and persecution, as His promises are proven true in our lives time after time.  We can testify of the miracles we have seen in our own lives, such as the experience when my mother was dying from a ruptured brain aneurysm and heart attack, but the Lord brought her back from the threshold of death the doctors were expecting – and restored her to health and wholeness as she’s resumed normal life for the past 9 years.  Jesus Christ is real, He is True, and He is active in our lives today!

Q3. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to "testify"? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus, or only the apostles who were eyewitnesses?

When we testify in court, we bear witness to some truth in an event. In this way the Holy Spirit provides  input to the truth of Christ's purpose.

I can and do love to testify about how he has such a great love for us, how he created us, how he died for our sins, and how he already came back once and will come back again.

We can see God everywhere, everyday, all the time. His creation is so beautiful. The fact that we can see anything is so wonderful. You can ask "who invented this?" I am seeing things in 3d color. This is a miracle, but we take it for granted.

We can walk, but can we? Some can't... I for one have a spinal condition and my legs are very wobbly. But I can still walk and get to church tonight, to be with believers, someof whom are sicker than my legs.

We have a choice, take for granted what God gives us every day, or praise Him for life today. It is a gift, a blessing. I for one am greatful for these kinds of things and that I can TESTIFY to God's greatness through these basic things we are given.

No I can't walk on water or heal someone on the spot; but God hears our prayers and loves us, and teaches us.

I have seen Him make a way for me in impossible situations regarding my work. No details are given, but He is doing things for all of us behind the scenes. We need to recognize it, and give him public acclaim for these blessings.  It is Jesus, who saved us and who redeems us every day. Praise His Hly name!

• 3 months later...

To testify means to tell what’s personally been seen or heard and what’s known to be true and accurate.  Jesus said He would send the Holy Spirit to the apostles and that’s exactly what He did!  The Spirit’s testimony is the gospels that he directed the apostles to write.  Today we can read the words that the Spirit had them write in order to learn and understand the things that God wants us to know.  Paul wrote the following in his first letter to the Corinthians; "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual" (I Corinthians 2:12-13).  Jesus’ apostles were told to “testify” and they were to tell the world only what they had personally seen and heard and what they knew to be true.  As modern day disciples, we too are called upon as  witnesses to testify to anyone who’ll listen what we have (personally) seen Jesus do in our own lives and everything that we’ve heard and know to be true about Him. “Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” (Romans 10:9) 

• 1 month later...

Peter says' " and we are His witnesses ..." Acts 2:32.  To testify is to witness; to share with others the truth of who Jesus is and what he has done for me... and I have had many personal experiences of God's special provision and proection that I can share. Take  a look at:

http://www.amazon.com/Miracles-Missionarys-Life-Gods-Calling-ebook/dp/B00K4VEK10/

We cannot argue people into God's kingdom ... it flat out does not work -- people fixed on their own viewpoint will simply argue back... BUT giving your witness of what GOD HAS DONE FOR YOU is powerful.  People cannot argue against this... it's your personal  experience of Jesus and I ask myself why do I not share my testimony more often. WE have the ONLY truth that can set men free.

We must pray against Satan shutting up our witness and be like DANIEL -- as bold as a lion.

Paul says in Romans 1  :16 'for I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel ... so we must also be part of the fellowship; of the NOT ASHAMED ... ot afraid of what others may think or say. Jesus Christ our Lord is far more important than other people's opinions. I have written a tract and like to pass this out. People can read it at their leisure. 

The word 'witness' in Greek also means 'Martyr'  something to think about.  blessings on you  -- Denis

• 2 years later...

The meaning to “testify” is to tell someone about the experience that you had. The Spirit testifies about Jesus whenever we come to a situation that we don’t quite know how to handle. We can testify from a personal knowledge about Jesus because we can see what he had done in our lives. We are the eyewitnesses to what has happened to us.

• 7 months later...

It means to tell someone or speak of what you know about Jesus. The Spirit leads us into all truth about Jesus wherever we need counsel. We can testify because we also have personal knowledge of Christ. We are the eyewitnesses to what He did for us. 

• 1 year later...

Q3. (John 15:26-27)

a)   What does it mean to "testify"? To testify is "to confirm or attest something on the basis of personal knowledge or belief”.

b)    In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? The Spirit testifies about Jesus by presenting Christ’s case before us believers who are ready to listen to His voice, and by teaching us what to say to the world.

c)   Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus, or only the apostles who were eyewitnesses? I can and must testify from personal knowledge about what Jesus has done in my life.

• 1 year later...

To testify means to verbally state as to what you know about a certain person or event.

The Holy Spirit testifies about Jesus Christ in regards to truth of Jesus Christ.  The Holy Spirit comes from the bosom of the Father to reveal the love that He has for his Son; and reveal further the glories of the Divine counsels.   The Holy Spirit would take the things of Christ and teach the early Church.   The Holy Spirit represents the Son, and carries out His redeeming work upon earth.

We too are called to testify about Christ.   We have a holy and urgent calling (1 Peter2:9).  I also love Revelation 19:10.  That is why evangelism is important;  very sad when Christians don't get involved in ministry.   They have a poor knowledge of Bible prophecy;  Christ is the central pivot of Bible prophecy.   Stagnation will quench the Holy Spirit.   A soul winning church is a truly a Pentecostal church;  the kerygma is set forth constantly.  Christ is glorified as He is lifted up.   Soberness and sound theological balance also characterize a soul winning ministry.

• 8 months later...

Q3. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to "testify"?

To testify means to tell or share about something, to give evidence, usually in court as a witness.  To serve as evidence or proof that something exists or is the case.

The Spirit's function of testifying about Jesus is closely related to reminding the disciples what Jesus taught. The Spirit presents Christ's case for him before the believers and the world.

Yes, I can testify of what Christ has done for me.  The Holy Spirit will help me use the right words if I allow or follow His guidance.