JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

Q1. (John 17:3) If the average person were to define the words “eternal life,” what would they say?

I've heard unsaved people say things like "I believe we all go somewhere after we die" or "I hope there's a Heaven where I'll end up."

Does Jesus define eternal life in terms of duration of time?

No. He speaks in terms of both He and His Father (and ours) having the ability to raise the dead to life and to give life. The implication is that this gift belongs to those who receive this gift of Himself, since life is IN HIM.

What is the key element of his definition?

That it is a gift He gives to those who know Him intimately and are in relationship with Him.

How are you doing at present in Jesus’ definition of eternal life.

I entered into eternal life the day I received His unspeakable gift of grace at Salvation...and I'm growing in relationship with Him, loving Him more each day and with deeper and deeper understanding and gratitude. How I praise Him for loving me!

(John 17:3) If the average person were to define the words “eternal life,” what would they say? Does Jesus define eternal life in terms of duration of time? What is the key element of his definition? How are you doing at present in Jesus’ definition of eternal life. 

To the average person, eternal life is most probably seen from the perspective of time i.e. eternal equates forever, for all eternity. However, Jesus does not define eternal life thus. To Jesus, eternal life is seen from the perspective of having a personal, intimate and never-ending relationship with God.  

(John 17:3) If the average person were to define the words “eternal life,” what would they say? Does Jesus define eternal life in terms of duration of time? What is the key element of his definition? How are you doing at present in Jesus’ definition of eternal life.          

• The average person would say eternal life is life with no end. 
  • Jesus does not define eternal life in terms of duration of time. 
  • The key element of Jesus definition of eternal life is life knowing the Father thru Jesus Christ.
  • I am doing better than before with room for improvement with my relationship with Jesus.

Q1. (John 17:3) If the average person were to define the words “eternal life,” what would they say? Does Jesus define eternal life in terms of duration of time? What is the key element of his definition? How are you doing at present in Jesus’ definition of eternal life.

The average person would think of eternal life as living forever with no end.

Jesus defines eternal life as knowing God the Father and Jesus and not as a duration of time.  Since Jesus is the life that tells me that as we know Him more and more deeply heaven will become richer and richer in fullness of life (since knowing Him is growing in grace and the knowledge of Him).   When some new nugget in the Word (not new but stands out at that time as I have read it before), gets my attention I feel something.  A stirring inside and I cannot explain to anyone.  I can explain what I read however I cannot expelling the inner sense of wonder and excitement.  I believe this is what eternal life is, we will be doing many things through eternity but everything will be done with our Lord and the Redeemed who have the same senses of wonder as we continue growing in the Lord.  It makes me wonder how I will take it all in, I am so limited here and need so much time for things to process.  What an awesome God who sent His only begotten Son to redeem us.  Thank you Jesus!

Thinking about this makes me realize that I have so much more work (I already knew that but the emphasis is now on) to do.  I do find my time in the Word in the morning to be the best time of the day and it seems prayer time is not as i would like.  I have no place to go to be alone and constant interruptions many days however I am now deciding I must make that more of a priority even if it means less study time in the Word.  What a  sweet gift to spend time in prayer and I used to have ideal circumstances and I knelt by a chair or my bed everyday for as long as I wanted.  Now it is different in this house with little time alone.  I am a caregiver and when called I respond.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

If the average person were to define the words “eternal life,” what would they say?

They talk of an eternal conscious existence.

Yes. He talks about eternal. In theory it is a time period.

That there will be life.

The Holy Spirit is Life.

God the Father is Life and all of us received I've real life through Christ

How are you doing at present in Jesus’ definition of eternal life.

Growing all the time

Q1. (John 17:3) If the average person were to define the words “eternal life,” what would they say? Does Jesus define eternal life in terms of duration of time? What is the key element of his definition? How are you doing at present in Jesus’ definition of eternal life.

"Eternal life is the life everlasting in the presence of God" (Christian Apology and Research Ministry, CARM) https://carm.org/dictionary-eternal-life12 May 2015.

The key element of Jesus definition of eternal life is that "life comes from a never-ending relationship with God and his Son" (notes). I am struggling with this emphasis of the definition of eternal life. I have to trust the Christ has done what he said he has done for me (John 3:17, 1 John 5:11, 12, Eph 2:4-8).

Q1. (John 17:3) If the average person were to define the words “eternal life," what would they say?

They might define it as, living forever, but no one ceases to exist when they die.

Q2. Does Jesus define eternal life in terms of duration of time?

Jesus is referring to that of “spiritual life” - that they will continue to grow in the “knowledge” of the one true God, and the Son.

Eternal life is not just survival after death, which everyone will share one way or another, the Messiah is talking about the heart of the believer, that their growth would be in depth, growing “intimately” in the knowledge of both, the Father and the Son.

Q3. What is the key element of his definition?

The key element is that we may “KNOW” – It is important we understand the reason we have the promise of “eternal life” is so we will “KNOW” the “TRUTH” - The Messiah warned us, there will be “false” prophets, prophets who the world will listen to, prophets that will tickle the hears of those who want to hear, and their voice is getting stronger every day, it is echoing in our schools, in our universities, in the media, in our government, in our homes, and in MANY of our pulpits, this is why we who have “eternal life” take (1John 4:6-7) as our guideline, that whoever knows God listens for and will hunger after the truth. Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see him, neither does he know him: but you know him; for he dwells with you, and will be in you. (John 14:17)

Q1. (John 17:3) 

If the average person were to define the words "eternal life," what would they say? 

What is the key element of His definition? 

How are you doing at present in Jesus' definition of eternal life?

The average person might define eternal life as living forever – an endless existence. No, Jesus does not define eternal life in terms of time. Rather, He refers to eternal life as a quality of life, and not just a quantity of life. In His definition, the key element is enjoying an intimate relationship with both Him and our heavenly Father. It is all about knowing the Father and Jesus Christ, about the acknowledgement of His sovereignty and about us gladly accepting His love. As true believers, we already have an intimate fellowship with His person through His Word and through prayer. To me eternal life is a quality of life that I already experience; it is a present reality and not a only future promise. 

Eternal life to me is an everlasting relationship with God the Father and Christ. To live forever in the New Heaven, no more dying, no more sickness and no more tears.

Jesus does not define eternal life in terms of duration of time. Of course, the word eternal sort of defines itself, it is forever.

The key element of the definition of eternal life as Jesus describes it is this; "that they know the only true God and Jesus Christ, whom he had sent".

At present I'm doing OK with Jesus definition of eternal life. To be born again, receiving salvation through Christ, the promise that Jesus has provided our inheritance with him and God the Father.     

Lesson 28 Question 1

I believe that eternal life for most people means that they can now experience forever a life that they live now. It's focus is on the duration. Jesus, when he speaks of eternal life is not as concerned with the duration as much as he is with one's relationship with the Father and the Son. It is intimate knowledge of God. For me, prayerfully considering all of God's attributes, reflecting on his holiness, goodness, righteousness and especially his love helps me appreciate and love back. God help me when I don't do this as I should.

The average person would probably define the words ‘eternal life’ as ‘immortality’, to live forever.  Jesus does not define eternal life in terms of time.  The key element of his definition is that we will know God on a very personal level.  I am drawing closer after many years of feeling very distant.  The key for me has been a greatly increased prayer life with a lot of visualisation of God sitting with me.

Q1. (John 17:3) If the average person were to define the words "eternal life," what would they say?

The average person would probably define eternal life as life everlasting or without end.

No. He did not define eternal life in terms of duration.

The key element in His definition of eternal life is: "knowing God (as the only true God) and Jesus Christ (who God sent)

How are you doing at present in Jesus' definition of eternal life.

By the grace of God I am growing in the knowledge of God the Father and Son but want to know them more profoundly.

• 2 weeks later...

This entire chapter we learn that the world is a tremendous battleground where the forces under Satan’s power and those under God’s authority are at war. Satan and his forces are motivated by bitter hatred for Christ and his forces. Jesus prayed for his disciples, including those of us who follow him today. He prayed that God would keep his chosen believers safe from Satan’s power, setting them apart and making them pure and holy, uniting them through his truth.

How do we get eternal life? Jesus tells us clearly here—by knowing God the Father himself through his Son, Jesus Christ. Eternal life requires entering into a personal relationship with God in Jesus Christ. When we admit our sin and turn away from it, Christ’s love lives in us by the Holy Spirit.

Eternal is the divinely bestowed gift of blessedness in God's presence that endures without end. This relates especially to the quality of life in this age, and to both the quality and duration of life in the age to come.  God is eternal. Scripture does not provide philosophical reflection on this fact but assumes it. The Lord is the Rock eternal and the eternal King is in His word, rooted in his being and will, is likewise eternal as are his righteous laws, his ways and his kingdom or dominion. Since God is eternal, so are his love, his blessings, and all his other attributes and benefits. They endure without end; as long as God exists, so do they.

v

Q1. (John 17:3) If the average person were to define the words "eternal life," what would they say? Does Jesus define eternal life in terms of duration of time? What is the key element of his definition? How are you doing at present in Jesus' definition of eternal life.

"Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent." (17:3)

Being in a true deeper relationship with God the Father is what this all about. We can always go deeper in the time we spend with Him. Nothing is stopping us except the devil is trying to convince us not to do this.

Knowledge and knowing, we are seeking the protection of knowing God's word.

"No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,'
because
they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest." (Jeremiah 31:34)

we who are on this study, in the present are doing God's will. Praise God for directing us here.

"Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent." (17:3)

The average person would say that eternal life is after you die, and that it is unending. A non believer would say that we die and that is it, there is nothing after death. So we must be careful, what we believe is what we will get here.

Knowing who is the eternal everlasting God: ISAIHA 40:31 ... will renew their strength, ...soar like wings on eagles,... run and not grow weary,... walk and not stumble." is becoming part of HIS eternity. There is nothing like it to feel God's love, even knowing Him a little, the way he come to teach us to love Him, it is amazing.

It give us the desire to share, even if we are not experienced in witnessing. It is easy to learn by going to the pocket testament league at www.ptl.org take the evangelist boot camp lesson on line. It teaches us that it is indeed not about us, thought we need to witness in 1-2 sentences how Jesus has changed our lives. Then we ask questions, sincere questions about the other person God has put in our path. If you feel God calling you to become an evangelist, and since you are an "online person" please go now to www.ptl.org where you might become like me, an pocket evangelist to the Glory of Jesus Christ and His Kingdom. I ask this to those who feel it, in Jesus name, amen

• 1 month later...

The average person would define the phrase “eternal life” as an existence that is everlasting, never ending.  That is the typical phrase Christians most commonly use, as well.  But the definition Jesus gave here in verse 3 is much broader and deeper.  His definition is outside our human concepts of earthly time and time eternal.  The key element of His definition is the relationship of really knowing the Father and the Son.  This is not just from afar, not through our mortal imperfections and inability to completely comprehend, and not only through the somewhat intangible Spirit living in us - but through an uninterrupted, unending, face-to-face, one-on-one relationship where we will intimately and fully know the full personage of God the Father and God the Son, just as we have been known all along.  This is a sharper focus of this future with God than I’ve ever had.  I can hardly fathom the overwhelming joy and reality of this destiny!

• 2 months later...

I believe the Christian would say that “eternal life” is a continuation of their life (spiritually) in heaven after their (worldly, physical) body dies. Christ defines “eternal life” (v. 3) as an eternal relationship with him and the Father.  The key element is our “relationship” with Christ and His Holy Father; he wants us to know him intimately right now!  Jesus came to us so that we can all know and understand God in a personal way.  Personally, I’m doing pretty well but in all honesty, there’s still an awful lot of room for improvement.

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

The average person would describe it as Heaven or forever with Jesus. No he does not. He describes it as this is eternal life that they may know you, the one true God and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. That speaks of a relationship with the Lord not a duration of time. Relationship with the Lord. I am struggling. 

• 1 year later...

Q1. (John 17:3)

1.    If the average person were to define the words "eternal life," what would they say? They would say that it is life with no end.

2.     Does Jesus define eternal life in terms of duration of time? Jesus does not define eternal life in terms of duration of time.

3.     What is the key element of his definition? The key element of Jesus’ definition of eternal life is a never-ending personal knowledge and relationship with God and His Son.

4.    How are you doing at present in Jesus' definition of eternal life. Thanks largely to this course, I am gaining a greater knowledge of God and His Son and developing a closer and closer relationship with them.

• 1 year later...

The average person believes that eternity is all about the future after death.   Eternity according to Johannine eschatology is NOW.  For St John, Christ's death and Resurrection is central pivot; New life in Christ is current reality.  His Epistles also spell this out carefully.  Physical healing as well as the forgiveness of sins are "soteria".  Arthur Pink aptly described "soteria" as a fourfold salvation !  We are saved from the penalty, power, presence and the pleasure of sin.  What a tremendous position we have in Christ Jesus;  so many Christain believers are not aware of their high calling; they are "Outer court" Christains; they were taught to "pray, pay and obey"....just be mere laity.  1 Peter 2:9 is so foreign to many; they don't have a ministry, no testimony and what is tragic---no evangelism.

Christ believed that salvation is NOW. Salvation, healing and deliverance is for today.  Christ entrusted the keys of eternal life to the Church;  the Church of God has the tremendous mission to spread the wonderful words of life.

Key element here is Christ consciouness---abiding in the Vine.  A daily personal relationship with Christ is essential.   Personal Bible study and frequent reception of Holy Communion--facilitate this.

As I pray quietly in my upstairs front room,  my soul is at rest.  I leave all at the altar; Christ is my burdenbearer.  Isaiah 26:3 is my motto---personal prayer time is absolute.   As I preach outdoors,  eternity becomes even more precious to me.

Edited by Jonathan Edwards
Need to complete assignment

• 8 months later...

Q1. (John 17:3}

If the average person were to define the words "eternal life," what would they say?  Eternal life would be defined as living forever or life with no end.

Does Jesus define eternal life in terms of duration of time? No, time or existence does not come into the equation.  

What is the key element of his definition?  The key element is knowing the only true God and Jesus Christ Who was sent by God.  Not knowing about Him but truly knowing Him and having a relationship with Him.

How are you doing at present in Jesus' definition of eternal life.  I do love the Lord with all my being and spend time in the WORD and talk with Him. In fact I tell Him everything, important or not. 

With the Hymn writer I also call out :   Draw me nearer nearer nearer blessed Lord ....