JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

(John 17:6-10) In what sense do the Son and the Father “co-possess” everything? What does that say about their relationship with each other? In what sense do we “co-possess” everything with the Father and Son? How should that affect our values? The way we live? 

In what sense do the Son and the Father “co-possess” everything?

For example regarding the early disciples, Jesus said - "I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word." (John 17:6) They were the Father's, given to Jesus out of the world. They weren't the fruit of Jesus' recruiting prowess, but the Father's chosen gifts to his Son. Further, in John 17:10 it is stated - "All I have is yours, and all you have is mine." Jesus realizes that he shares everything with the Father; they co-possess
everything.

What does that say about their relationship with each other?
The God-head three in one - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. They are three and yet they are one. The Son, our Lord Jesus is in God and Father God is in Jesus.

In what sense do we “co-possess” everything with the Father and Son?
"Now if we are children, then we are heirs heirs of God and coheirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory." (Romans 8:17)

How should that affect our values? The way we live?
Knowing this, our values must reflect the values of God. To do this, we must meditate and obey God's words and commandments. In doing this, the way we live will fall in place accordingly.

Q4. (John 17:6-10) In what sense do the Son and the Father “co-possess” everything?

In the sense that they are One...each a Personality of the Triune God, equal but with different "job" descriptions. Unlike several cults who teach that The Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are separate beings, and only the Father is God.

They work together in complete unity of purpose, co-equal, and always in harmony.

In what sense do we “co-possess” everything with the Father and Son?

When we are "in Christ", we are joint heirs with Him....all that is His, is ours. "And if we are His children, then we are His heirs also: heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ (sharing His inheritance with Him); only we must share His suffering if we are to share His glory." Rom 8:17 amp.

How should that affect our values?

As a believer, I am God's own daughter, and my values are to reflect His values, even when there is a cost when His/my values conflict with the world's values.

The way we live?

It's a blessing to know that I belong to God...my parents were not able to bond with their children, so the insecurity of never knowing when or if I'd be cast aside or kicked out left me longing for the security which God promises me. ("The Lord will not cast off nor spurn His "children" neither will He abandon His heritage" Ps 94:14) and "Although my father and my mother have forsaken me, yet the Lord will take me up and adopt me as His own child." Ps 27:10) Being secure in His love, acceptance and forgiveness, leads me to want to live in a way which pleases and honors Him...not out of fear of rejection, but out of love for Him and a desire to never want to grieve Holy Spirit.

This verse is also our guide: "I appeal to you brethren, in view of all the mercies of God to make a decisive dedication of your bodies, presenting all your members and faculties as a living sacrifice, holy, devoted and well pleasing to God, which is your reasonable service and spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world (fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs), but be transformed by the entire renewal of your mind so that you may prove what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God." (amp. Rom 12:1,2)

Thank you Pastor Wilson, for these studies which challenge us to dig into the Word of God to find our answers, rather than relying on what "we've heard" or have been spoon fed from the pulpit!

Q4. (John 17:6-10) In what sense do the Son and the Father "co-possess" everything? What does that say about their relationship with each other? In what sense do we "co-possess" everything with the Father and Son? How should that affect our values? The way we live.

In what sense do the Son and the father "composes" everything? In the sense that the Father and Son are both part of the Godhead.  They are one and both possess all.

What does this say about their relationship with each other?  It says They are of one accord and perfect harmony.

​In what sense do we co-possess everything with the Father and Son?  When we accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior we were adopted as sons and daughters of  God and as such we are co-heirs with Christ.

How should that affect our values?  The way we live.  As members of the royal family we should conduct our lives with the utmost seriousness in our walk and behavior knowing the consequences to those who have not been grafted in if we should in anyway be responsible for their refusal to come to Christ.  We should live our lives prayerfully in total gratitude to our God for all He has done for us.

God Bless!

Jen

Jude 24 and 25

Q4. (John 17:6-10) In what sense do the Son and the Father “co-possess” everything? What does that say about their relationship with each other? In what sense do we “co-possess” everything with the Father and Son? How should that affect our values? The way we live?

God and the Son are one (John 1:1, 10:30). They possess all things in heaven and earth, as it is theirs. In 1 Corinthians 3:21,22 Paul told the Corinthians that all things belong to them, they belong to Christ and Christ belongs to God. Paul reiterates "there is but one God..." "...there is but one, Jesus Christ through whom all things came and through whom we live" (1 Corinthians 8:6). God has given us the responsibility of reflecting his glory while we are in the world.

Q4. (John 17:6-10) 

In what sense do the Son and the Father "co-possess" everything? 

In what sense do we "co-possess" everything with the Father and Son? 

How should that affect our values? 

The way we live?

God exists as three persons, yet He is one God. Therefore, all the attributes of God, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are the same. They are all, for example, eternal, omnipresent, omnipotent, infinitely wise, infinitely holy, infinitely loving, omniscient, and so forth. Although being one God, they are three distinct persons. Because the Son and the Father are equal they co-possess everything, and Jesus is able to say “All I have is yours, and all you have is mine.” God’s children are heirs of God and will eventually inherit their Father’s estate. The same with Christ, we are joint heirs with the Son. So, being one with our Lord Jesus and our Heavenly Father, we too co-possess everything with them. In Matthew 6:19-20 Jesus teaches us how we should value things here on earth, and how to live here. He explains that there is no security in material things here on earth as they can all be either destroyed by elements of nature or stolen by thieves. Jesus goes on to say that the only investments not subject to loss are treasures in heaven. His message then for us is not to lay up treasures for ourselves here on earth, but rather to place our investments in heaven. This we can do by being obedient to God and making our time and money do God’s work. 

Q4. (John 17:6-10) In what sense do the Son and the Father “co-possess” everything? What does that say about their relationship with each other? In what sense do we “co-possess” everything with the Father and Son? How should that affect our values? The way we live?

Jesus, the only begotten Son of God, was with the heavenly Father before time existed. Together all things were theirs equally. Jesus stepped down from the throne, gave up the glory he had in heaven with the Father and came to earth to save all mankind. Being Jesus came to earth with nothing, he knew that all he was given came from the Father.

The relationship Jesus and the Father had before time began and during Jesus earthly ministry was love, one for one another, it was this love that bound them together. Through love all they created and possessed was shared one with another. There is no greater power than that of love, even as Jesus came to proclaim the Father's message, their love was to share it with men.

When we believe Jesus to be God's only Son, we become co-heirs with Christ. Just as the Father and Son share all things, so we become co-heirs through and with Christ to share all they have, but the biggest thing we share is love one for another.

Believing in Jesus and all he has done for us, our values should be as his. To love one another and share God's word to all, declaring his love to all that will come forth in faith and belief.

Our lives are assuredly changed as we trust and have confidence in the Lord our God. People should know by our outwardly actions we belong to Christ.         

Lesson 29 Question 4

Jesus declares to the Father in John 17: 10 : "All I have is yours and all you have is mine. Specifically, Jesus is referring to the 11 and to all who come after them who have come to a saving knowledge of Jesus - the called out ones. To posses is to have or to take a special interest in -to own. It is to love. The Father and the Son co-posses. They both share in the love they have for the "called out ones".

What does this say about the Father and the Son? The relationship between the Father and the Son is mutual owning - possessing - and giving to the other. It is perfect love. It is the essence of unity. It speaks to the fact that when we see the Son, we see the Father.

We, when we believe in and receive Jesus Christ as our Savior, we are declared the sons and daughters of God - of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We are co-heirs of Christ. We belong and can partake of this love relationship.

When we belong, we are part of the family of God. His values become our own. We then live and do as a son and daughter of the King. Everything we think, say, or do is affected by this new identity that is now ours. This is almost too marvelous and humbling. This engenders praise and thanks to God. We are a new creation - born again. We put away the old and put  on the new. We are redeemed sinners - sons and daughters of the King. Wrap your mind around this my fellow believers.

The Son and the Father are one being.  I don’t think it is therefore possible for them to have separate possessions.  Jesus wishes us to be one with Him too.  He is a generous God.  I think of the parable of the prodigal son, where the father says ‘Everything I have is yours, but we must celebrate the return of the son who was lost and is now found.’  We are all welcomed with the same huge generosity.  As Jesus came to Earth as an example to us, we need to show the same value of giving of ourselves with unhesitant generosity in the way we live.

Q4. (John 17:6-10) In what sense do the Son and the Father "co-possess" everything?   

The Son and the Father co- possess everything because they are one. The Son is in the Father and the Father in the Son.

They are one and equal in relationship

In what sense do we "co-possess" everything with the Father and Son?

We are children of God the Father and the Son as well as joint heirs with Jesus Christ. Thus what belongs to the Father and Son belongs to us (me inclusive)

How should that affect our values? The way we live?

The realisation that whatever belongs to God the Father and Son is also ours should motivate us and boost our faith to stand firm and live godly lives.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (John 17:6-10) In what sense do the Son and the Father “co-possess” everything? What does that say about their relationship with each other? In what sense do we “co-possess” everything with the Father and Son? How should that affect our values? In the way we live.

God is the Holy Father and Righteous Father which reflected their character the two are one. God’s glory is the revelation of his character and presence. The lives of Jesus’ disciples reveal his character, and he is present to the world through them. Our lives should reveal Jesus’ character and presence?

God gives the Spirit, we receive and He draws.  Obedience is crucial in our wail. It does not imply perfect obedience or sinless, but a desire to hear and do all that is revealed; so far it refers to the disciples' faith in Jesus, abiding in Jesus, and loving one another as Jesus loved them.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (John 17:6-10) In what sense do the Son and the Father "co-possess" everything? What does that say about their relationship with each other? In what sense do we "co-possess" everything with the Father and Son? How should that affect our values? The way we live?

We are one.... "I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word." (17:6) we belong to Him and to Jesus

"9  I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. 10  All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them." (17:9-10)

It should give us a sense of certainty, that we belong to, are owned by the Father and the Son. It is good reason to surrender totally and take life as it comes. In reality with my wobbly leg disease, I find myself in my body too much. I need to be in His Glory. I expect this to come easier as time moves forward. Oh God make me overjoyed to be walking and alive today, for the Glory of Christ our risen Lord. The temperature in my home office is 84, but my focus is on God's will. To Him be the glory, all the time. This is the way to live, now. Have your way with us oh Lord. Let your word spring forth my deeds to follow your will. In Christ's name, amen

Q4. (John 17:6-10) In what sense do the Son and the Father "co-possess" everything? What does that say about their relationship with each other? In what sense do we "co-possess" everything with the Father and Son? How should that affect our values? The way we live?

Jesus has clearly said this during this beautiful three part prayer. And God is so wise to explain about Himself via Triune God aspect. We think how amazing it was that God came in the from of a man to dwell among us. It is in itself a miracle. It is interesting how Jesus shows such humility in seeking to do only His Father's will. This is the kind of obedience He is calling us to develop. Because they are historically so close, from having created everything together, and with the Holy Spirit, this explains why Jesus was praying so much while he was here as in human form. Also, we recognize this is where his power came from, and this is the power God wants us to have, so that we can do more for His Kingdom.  For us to be considered like family, it is when we remain and abide in Him, This is a motivation that brings us to better behavior as a human being towards all others. This needs to be our prayer, the result of being closer to Him and wanting to grow this contact.

oh God help us and me especially to know you better, to slow down and let God lead to make life "easier" for us His children, where "easier" means being at peace with the lord, no matter what is going on.

• 1 month later...

John’s gospel account begins with the clear declaration that Jesus, the Word, was with God and actually was God at the beginning of creation.  Jesus repeatedly declared that He and the Father are one, that He is in the Father and the Father is in Him (ex. 10:30,38; 14:10-11; 17:11,21).  Their relationship is one of total integration of each with the other. Each is unique of Person, but yet the same of deity.  As One God, they would certainly share joint ownership of all things. 

Chapter 14:20 records Jesus’ promise that not only is He in the Father, but believers are in Christ and Christ is in us.  He described it to be like the symbiotic relationship between branches and a vine.  That integrates and unifies us not only with Christ, but also with the Father as well!  Three times in this prayer of chapter 17, Jesus prayed that we may all be one in the One God.  In the sense of being one with God, we would “co-possess” everything.  What a mind-blowing promise that should compel us to live worthy of our calling!  We should be maturing in thinking as God thinks, desiring what God desires, valuing what God values, seeking what God seeks, and speaking what God speaks.  The reality of our exalted future in Christ should lift our thinking and actions above the things of this world as we set our focus on heaven, and humble us with the responsibilities of that privilege.  Princes and princesses don’t think or behave like destitute paupers!

• 2 months later...

In John 10:30, Jesus said, “I and the Father are one” and on several occasions He deliberately used the phrase; "I AM", and in John 8:58 He told the Jews, “I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."  On several occasions He expressed clearly and unequivocally that every deed and every word that he spoke came from the Father.  As he coexisted with God, so also does He co-possess everything that is of God.  Just as he said, He and the Father are one so their relationship was such that He was (is) with the Father constantly and the Father constantly with Him.

Paul told the Romans that we are “heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified with him. (8:17)  As heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ Jesus we will be glorified with Christ and as God’s heirs.  I always focus on the rest of Paul’s dissertation here as well, and that is that “we will suffer with him”.  Yes of course we will but the inheritance that we’ll receive is so great that every burden, every illness and every hardship that we suffered in the world will seem small and insignificant by comparison.  John wrote in the Book of Revelation, “Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children.” (21:7)  We will inherit “all this”, meaning everything that is of God so our inheritance as children of God means that we will share in the world and everything in it.  But that in itself is small and insignificant because as children of God, we will share in God himself!  That, of course, will be our final and ultimate reward.  “Then will you not say with the apostle, "I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us"? (Ephesians 1:18)

How should we live our lives?  We have to live with the utmost faith in God.  Having faith means to rely and depend upon him for everything knowing in our hearts that He is bigger, greater and better than we are and he loves us a great deal.  There are two things that He expects of us; 1) we are to love Him above everything else, and 2) we are to love our neighbors as ourselves.  If do that we will have satisfied all of our God’s other commands.      

We are all human and we will always sin to deal with and there will always be a battle within us to either follow our flesh and sin, or to follow the Spirit.  In his letter to the Ephesians, Paul tells us, “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast. For we have been created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” (2:8-9)

• 3 years later...

The Son and the Father “co-possess” everything because it was them that created all things as it says in the first part of John. Their relationship is intertwined with each other. The Son does what the Father wants him to do. The sense that we “co-possess” everything with the Father and Son us part of the family of God. This should make us feel like we are part of the family of God and that we also ought to do the things that God wants us to do.

• 8 months later...

4. (John 17:6-10) In what sense do the Son and the Father “co-possess” everything? What does that say about their relationship with each other? In what sense do we “co-possess” everything with the Father and Son? How should that affect our values? The way we live? 

They co-possess everything because they both created everything at the time of creation. They are both equals and so being equals makes them co-possessors of everything as well. It says that their relationship is close. We are coheirs with them. We should be willing to do anything to bring anyone to Christ.

• 2 years later...

--Father and the Son co-posess everything  due to the fact that only Christ can say all Thine are Mine; Christ being the 2nd person of the Holy Trinity.  God's plan of salvation and the 11 Apostles including the 70 Apostles and all those believers thereafter--are the precious possessions of both God the Father and God the Son.

The relationship of God the Father and God the Son--the Father covenants with the Son for the salvation of those who will believe.  Coming to Christ secures our sonship.   Christ identifies Himself with His disciples and acts as our heavenly attorney !

We do co-posess everything with the Father and the Son in the sense we have accepted the very doctrines and revelations directed by the Father.  Like the first disciples, we embrace both the Messenger and Christ's doctrines as divine.  The certainty here is CHRIST AS HIGH PRIEST, OUR SOLE MEDIATOR.   We belong both to the Father and the Son.

Our lives and our deaths glorify Christ (1 Corinthians 10:21; John 21:19.  We are to be salt and light in this Valley of Baca.   We are the manifested Sons of God (Roman's 8:19)

• 8 months later...

Q4. (John 17:6-10)

In what sense do the Son and the Father "co-possess" everything? The Father and the Son are One, so whatever belongs to the One also belongs to the Other.

What does that say about their relationship with each other?  They are One

In what sense do we "co-possess" everything with the Father and Son? It is no longer I that live, but Christ that lives in me.  We are heirs of the Father and joint-heirs with the Son.

How should that affect our values? How should that affect the way we live?  Whatever we do, we do for Him.  His values become my values, His standards become my standards, His lifestyle becomes mine.