JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

(John 17:11b, 20-21) Why is unity between Christians so important? What is the model Jesus gives of this unity in verse 21a? What effect does true Christian unity have on our witness to the world?

Jesus model of unity - "... That all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me." (17:21)

Christian unity has a tremendous impact on our witness to the world. Jesus ties Christian unity with evangelism:

• "...so that the world may believe that you have sent me." (John 17:21b)
  • "May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." (John 17:23)
Unity, of course, is dependent upon mutual love for each other. And that love more than anything is

to be the mark of Jesus' disciples. If we as Christians, professing to love God and Jesus Christ, cannot see eye to eye, how are we to witness to the unbelievers and show our faith to them?

Q6. (John 17:11b, 20-21) Why is unity between Christians so important?

We are His representatives / ambassadors in the world. As such, we are a "picture" of the love and unity in the Holy Trinity. When we are at odds and walking in disharmony or even flagrant dissension or separation, our witness to the world ithat God is love is nullified.

What is the model Jesus gives of this unity in verse 21a?

Jesus prayed that we would be one just as "You Father, are in Me and I in You, so that the world may believe that You have sent me".

What effect does true Christian unity have on our witness to the world?

Jesus said when we walk in love and unity with one another, the world will recognize us as His disciples....we are then a compelling message, and are attractive to a love starved, fragmented world. We offer them a place of welcome and a haven of love, rest and acceptance...very different from the worlds alternative.

(John 17:11b, 20-21) Why is unity between Christians so important? What is the model Jesus gives of this unity in verse 21a? What effect does true Christian unity have on our witness to the world?     

• Unity between Christians is important because it will show the world that Jesus was sent by God and He loved us even as God loved Jesus.
  • The model Jesus gives as unity is the relationship between he and the Father. 
  • The effect true Christian unity have on our witness to the world is that it will show the love we have for one another. 

Q6. (John 17:11b, 20-21) Why is unity between Christians so important? What is the model Jesus gives of this unity in verse 21a? What effect does true Christian unity have on our witness to the world?

Why is unity between Christians so important?

We are witnesses here for God, either good or bad depending on our unity.  To be witnesses we must know God and His Word and must be faithful in prayer so we can be unified as believers that Jesus is the one and only way to God and that He was sent by God to die on the cross for our sins, to be resurrected after leading a sinless life was able to save us by His shedding of His blood for us.

There is a hymn "They will know we are Christians by our love".  Are we living up to that?  If we are living in love and knowledge of the Word and in constant prayer we will have true Christian unity.

As usual I have a lot of fine tuning left to be done on me.

God bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q6. (John 17:11b, 20-21) 

It is important that believers present a common front to the world. Our actions and attitudes, which speak even louder than words, will then point to Jesus as the source of our moral and spiritual strength. Unbelievers, who formerly despised Jesus, might with the help of the Holy Spirit, start believing in Jesus as the One sent by the Father. By doing this we exert more power and influence. If not, we run the risk of being seen as a lot of hypocrites. The unity for which Christ prayed was not a matter of external church union, but rather a unity based on the love for one another and on common moral likeness. He was praying that believers might be one in exhibiting the character of God and of Christ. This is what would cause the world to believe that God had sent Him. This is the unity which makes the world say, “I see Christ in those Christians as the Father was seen in Christ.”

Q6. (John 17:11b, 20-21) Why is unity between Christians so important? What is the model Jesus gives of this unity in verse 21a? What effect does true Christian unity have on our witness to the world?

Jesus commanded that his followers were to love one another (John 13:34,35) so that people would observe that they were his disciples. In addition, in the high priestly prayer Jesus prayed (future tense) for those who will believe in him that they would be one (17:20, 21). So as God and Jesus are one, Jesus wants his followers to be one (v 21b) Therefore when his followers are one, people may believe that the Father sent Jesus (v23). So when there is true unity between believers, God will be glorified and people who do not know him will come to him.

Unity between Christians is very important because it displays our love for one another and our love for Christ.This love is the uniting tie to all the world that we believe the true word of God and obeying him and following his commands.

The model Jesus gives of this unity is how he displays his love for the Father and the Fathers love for Jesus, this love makes them one in unity.So Christ wanted us to love one another as he loves us and we love him.

Christian unity displays to the world that we are part of Jesus church. In unity we love one another and follow the commands and teachings Christ has given us, showing the world our love in the Lord our God.  

Lesson 29 Question 6

A. 1. Jesus tells us. Jesus tells us in many biblical texts that love between disciples is important.

2. It's part of who we are in Christ. Just as the Father is in the Son and the Son is in the Father Jesus prays in John 17: 21 that the disciples will be one.

3. We have learned that we are to be connected to Jesus Christ as branches - plural - must be connected to the vine - John 15: 1 - 17.

4. Later the apostles - Paul - continued to press for unity by using the analogy of the body. We are all different, but serve the body with our special spiritual gifts - we need each other to flourish as a body.

5. Unity gives glory to the Father and the Son. God is glorified.

6. Unity will benefit our efforts at evangelism.

B. The model of unity that Jesus uses is the very unity of the Father and the Son, that is, the love of the Father for the Son and the love of the Son for the Father.

C. The effect of unity is that the world will see it and will want it. They with the Holy Spirit's help will see their lack of unity (enmity) -  between themselves and God, and will cry out for love and acceptance. They will see that the Father sent the son and that the Father loves them even as he loves the Son - John 17: 23.

For all these reasons one would think that we the church should strive harder to reach this unity that Jesus is praying for. Help us God.

Unity is essential.  Without unity there are arguments, hatred and occasions for great sin.  There is no peace or love.  There is a lovely hymn called ‘We are One in the Spirit’ with the chorus line, ‘and they’ll know we are Christians by our love, by our love, yes they’ll know that we are Christians by our love.’  Without unity, how can anyone take us seriously when we witness to them?  I think the barriers between Christian denominations must break God’s heart.  They have been present in the church from the earliest times and continue to this day.

Q6. (John 17:11b, 20-21) Why is unity between Christians so important?  

Unity between Christian is so important because it is the desire of our Lord Jesus hence his prayer for such unity as that between the Trinity.

The model of unity given by Jesus as already stated above, is that demonstrated by the the Trinity.

By our unity, the world will know that Jesus is really Lord and embrace Him as Saviour.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus was asking that the disciples be united in harmony and love as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are united—the strongest of all unions.

A follower of Christ becomes pure and holy through believing and obeying the Word of God. He or she has already accepted forgiveness through Christ’s sacrificial death.

The Word of God is not simply a collection of words from God, a vehicle for communicating ideas; it is living, life-changing, and dynamic as it works in us. With the incisiveness of a surgeon’s knife, God’s Word reveals who we are and what we are not. It penetrates the core of our moral and spiritual life. It discerns what is within us, both good and evil. The demands of God’s Word require decisions. We must not only listen to the Word; we must also let it shape our life.

But daily application of God’s Word has a purifying effect on our minds and hearts. Scripture points out sin, motivates us to confess, renews our relationship with Christ, and guides us back to the right path.

J  Jesus's great desire for his disciples was that they would become one. He wanted them unified as a powerful witness to the reality of God’s love. Are you helping to unify the body of Christ, the church? You can pray for other Christians, avoid gossip, build others up, work together in humility, give your time and money, exalt Christ, and refuse to get sidetracked arguing over divisive matters.

Jesus prayed for unity among believers based on the believers’ unity with him and the Father. We Christians can know unity among ourselves if we are living in union with God. For example, each branch living in union with the vine is united with all other branches doing the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Without unity, the world will win in ways that will hurt the growth of God's Kingdom. Still everything is under Hi control, so He will make it for the good of His Kingdom, nonetheless. We have been blessed to have been chosen, and must recognize that unity in the brotherhood of the church will make it successful. And any attempt to disrupt this is the work of the evil one. I'd been victim of this, impatience, pride of Christian values that were really my own, blinded by the good works I wanted to get going NOW, not on God's time. All these lessons to slow down and let God do it; this is how we must witness to the world. That they may come then into the "good yet imperfect church, theat they and we may grow in Christ   WE MUST WITNESS IN UNITY so that all the spiritual gifts will be effective  for the Kingdom in the way God intends.  20  My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21  that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

\

• 2 months later...

Everything we’re called to do and be as Christians is built on the foundational law of love, first for God and secondly for others (Matthew 22:37-40).  That includes the call to be unified as the Body of Christ.  When the physical body is out of harmony and all parts are not working together in unity, there is pain, distress, weakness, disease, sickness, distraction of focus, and interruption of purpose.  Christ is the Head of the Body He has established with all who have and ever will believe on Him for salvation, and His Body must also operate in unity.  That unity begins with love.  As we obey this primary law and love one another, we demonstrate our relationship with God and man to the entire world and validate our discipleship to Christ (John 13:34-35).  This is concrete evidence to the world that God is love (1John 4:7-12).  Genuine love for God and each other results in the desire and effort to maintain unity.  This is critical to the health and effectiveness of the whole body and the value of our witness and impact on the lost world. 

Jesus gave us the supreme example of unity here in verse 21a, as well as several other places – the oneness of God the Father and God the Son.  The Father is in Christ and Christ is in the Father.  The Body is in Christ and Christ is in us.

• 2 months later...

The unity that we, as Christians, should be pursuing is unity in the truth found in the Gospel but, Christian unity is more than sharing the truth of God’s Holy Word.  The unity spoken of in the Gospel, the ultimate goal of every Christian is unity in the glory of God.  “Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. (Philippians 2:1-4)  The model of unity that Christ left for us is of course, that He and the Father are one.  He is in the Father and the Father in Him.  He expects us be just that as well.  One with Him, just as He is resident in and one with us. 

There are two Latin phrases that come to mind that describe our witness to the world.  First of all, “ex uno plures” (from one, many).  To visualize my point you have to believe that the Trinity (The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit) are in-fact, one.  From the one, came the 12 and from them, all of us.  Just as Christianity grew by leaps and bounds during the first century because of the unity of the Apostles, the very same thing is possible today if we are unified.  That brings me to the second Latin phrase, “E pluribus unum” (from many, one).  We are many but when we stand together, united as the body of Christ, we are one.  One body united in a common cause, and that cause is taking the Word of God to every corner of the world to bring even more disciples to Christ Jesus. 

• 3 years later...

I think that unity is important between Christians because we will all be putting out the same message. The model that Jesus gives us to be one just like He and the Father is one. The unity will make it possible to be putting out the same message. If you hear the same thing from different sources then it will be a more believable message.

• 8 months later...

Q6. (John 17:11b, 20-21) Why is unity between Christians so important? What is the model Jesus gives of this unity in verse 21a? What effect does true Christian unity have on our witness to the world? It is so important because we need to be one body of believers who agree on the important things when it comes to Christianity. The model puts forth is one we must follow that deals with unity. It impacts us to the point that everyone will believe us and our message. 

• 2 years later...

Unity amongst Christians is very important because we are Indwelt of the Holy Spirit; we are one in "the divine nature" due to the "exceeding great and precious promises" (2Peter1:4).   We bear the image of God the Father and of Christ. We who have fellowship with the same Father and the same Son and the same spirit of adoption are one in a spiritual sense---we are the mystical Body of Christ here on earth.   This oneness would be a glorious testimony to the unbelieving world that Christ is the Word of God--eternal Logos.

Charles Grandison Finney would not tolerate sectarianism during his revivals.   He worked amongst brethern from various denominations.   Finney believed in the power of prayer; he knew that endless arguments would be a serious hindrance to the unconverted.  Count Zizzendorf also believed that Christain unity was paramount for revival.  We aren't supporting false ecumenical gatherings; true Bible revival starts amongst Christians that are Orthodox in doctrine and believe that sanctified living is paramount.⁶

• 8 months later...

Q2. (John 17:4)

What was the "work" the Father gave Jesus to do? How did it bring glory to the Father?

What is the "work" the Father has given you to do? In what ways are you bringing glory to the Father in this?

Jesus agreed to lay aside His glory and become a human being, so that ultimately He would lay down that very same life  as a sacrifice and carry the sin and disease  of mankind to the cross. Then He would conquer death and the grave as it were, and rise again. Jesus was to complete the Father's plan for salvation of mankind.

Jesus came to give us life. He came to REDEEM us.  He paid the penalty for our sins. His obedience and fulfillment of doing what He came to do brought glory to the Father.

Our work too is to fulfill the work God has given us to do. We are to love one another as Christ loved us.  We are to carry the news of this Salvation to others that they may know and also accept the fact that we are redeemed. Payment has been completed. 

Q6. (John 17:11b, 20-21)

The world watches us. If there is no unity between Christians, in which way are they to see that we are one in Christ? If there is unity they can see Christ in us, just as they could see the Father in Christ. For the unity to be seen we need to love one another as Christ loved us.