JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Peter's Sword

• 1 month later...

Q1. (John 18:1-11) What do you think caused the soldiers to fall back in the Garden (18:6)? Why does John tell us this detail? Why does Jesus rebuke Peter for defending him with a sword (18:11)? Jesus is facing forces sent by hell. Why doesn't he resist?

What do you think caused the soldiers to fall back in the Garden?  They were standing before the Lord of Glory and had no choice.  These were hardened tough men in the Roman army and they were powerless before the Lord of Glory.

Why did John tell us this detail?  For a brief moment here Jesus revealed His glory to them and to us through the writings of John.  Even though Jesus had temporarily laid aside a part of His natural glory as God to live as a man among us, it was still there.  He was still fully God.  He could have fled while the soldiers fell back, no need for swords or candles.  They could only arrest Him if He let them for His purpose. This was the reason He came, to be crucified for our sins.  Those who know Him need not fear Him while the world will tremble in fear before Him.

Why does Jesus rebuke Peter for defending him with a sword?  Way to go Peter.  I am sorry but wonderful, impulsive Peter and us.  We still don't totally comprehend.  We think we have power, we just barge right in, might I say, where angels fear to tread.  But then none of this was humorous.  It was deadly serious for us that Jesus came and went though this suffering for us.  Even deadly serious does not express, deadly sounds like it just ends, however we are talking about an eternal hell that we all deserve of indescribable agony.  Just as we cannot describe the depths of evil in the human heart we cannot describe the agonies of the hell  before us with out Jesus having submitted to the baseness of puny man who thinks he has power.  No Peter, you don't have power to save God from what He came to do for you and for me and all who will claim Him.  Oh Lord forgive us and have mercy on us.

Jesus has the forces of hell against Him.  Why doesn't He resist?  It is for this He came that He might glorify the Father who has power over death and hell and all the Satanic forces unleashed on earth.  How does He do this? by submitting to the uniformed maggots in all their might with swords and candles against the Lord of glory who conquers death and hell for those who love Him.  We shall praise Him for all eternity and His Name was, is and will forever be glorified.

God bless!

Jen

John 3:16

Q1. (John 18:1-11) What do you think caused the soldiers to fall back in the Garden (18:6)? Why does John tell us this detail? Why does Jesus rebuke Peter for defending him with a sword (18:11)? Jesus is facing forces sent by hell. Why doesn’t he resist?

According to the notes, (Jesus Walk Bible Study Series, Appendix 4 John's Gospel) there are a number of passages In John's Gospel where Jesus uses two Greek words together translated in English to mean "I am". This is a reference to the name by which God revealed himself to Moses "I Am That I Am" (Exodus 3:14). From this it is concluded that Jesus is revealing his divinity, his oneness with the Father. The soldiers were knocked off their feet by this-overcome by the awe inspiring statement from Jesus. John tells us this detail as a continuation of his emphasis on the divinity of Christ in his Gospel.

Jesus rebuked Peter for using his sword because Jesus did not want anything to get in the way of what he had to do. He knew he had to go to the cross and there was nothing that was going to stop him (Matt 26:39, John 18:11). In the Gospel of Matthew (not included In John's Gospel) Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword back...do you not think that I cannot appeal to My Father, and He will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?...It must happen this way" to fulfill the Scriptures (Matthew 26:53,54).

Q1. (John 18:1-11) What do you think caused the soldiers to fall back in the Garden (18:6)?

I believe they were "slain" by the Spirit of God through Jesus declaring His deity, when He replied "I Am".(When Moses asked God who shall I say sent me? God answered, "I AM THAT I AM") The power of God demonstrated to all present there and to all who would read John's account, that God is Sovereign, and is in control, not the soldiers who came to arrest Jesus.

Why does John tell us this detail?

It's important to know that Jesus laid down his life and submitted to the arrest in order to complete His Father's mission for Him to die on the cross for the salvation of "whosoever will" choose to receive His gift of eternal life....He could have escaped at that moment or at any other time if He'd chosen to do so.

Why does Jesus rebuke Peter for defending him with a sword (18:11)?

Peter once again, was trying to prevent Jesus from going to the cross and dying. Jesus had already rebuked Peter previously, saying "Get behind me Satan" when Peter protested Jesus' message of His approaching death. Jesus could have called legions of angels to intervene if He'd wanted and chose not to, and did not want Peter to try to interfere with God's plan.

He also did not want this confrontation to put Peter in jeopardy. By rebuking Peter and restoring the severed ear, Peter was protected from being arrested.The miraculous healing of reattaching the ear was proof once again that God was in control, not the soldiers with their spears.

Jesus is facing forces sent by hell. Why doesn’t he resist?

Jesus demonstrated that those who plotted to kill Him,  were simply carrying out the plan of God, which He wholeheartedly endorsed and was committed to completing. (Ps 119:91" All things serve God, even the entire Universe" That includes Satan, God's enemies, ALL THINGS in the end accomplish Gods purposes)

(John 18:1-11) What do you think caused the soldiers to fall back in the Garden (18:6)? Why does John tell us this detail? Why does Jesus rebuke Peter for defending him with a sword (18:11)? Jesus is facing forces sent by hell. Why doesn’t he resist? 

When Jesus answered the guards that He was the One that they were looking for, they drew back and fell to the ground. This could probably be explained as "being slain by the Holy Spirit" or "falling under the power of God / Spirit".

Jesus rebukes Peter for defending Him with the sword because this was the time for Jesus to glorify the Father - "Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You"." (John 17:1) This was the reason that Jesus was sent to earth, this was Jesus's mission - to bring salvation to the world. This was also to fulfil God's will - “Father, ...; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.” (Luke 22:42)

(John 18:1-11) What do you think caused the soldiers to fall back in the Garden (18:6)? Why does John tell us this detail? Why does Jesus rebuke Peter for defending him with a sword (18:11)? Jesus is facing forces sent by hell. Why doesn’t he resist?    

• They could have fallen when the Holy Spirit or the power of God came upon them or they could have been frighten when Jesus said "I am".
  • John tells us this detail so that we might see the awesome Shekinah glory of God upon Jesus.
  • Jesus rebukes Peter because Jesus doesn't need to be defended -- he has legions of angels at his beck and call.   It would prevent Jesus from "drinking the cup" that the Father has given him, the destiny or mission that he has fully accepted from his Father earlier that night after agonizing in the Garden.

• Jesus does not resist because he did not want to be denied his glory and the Father's plan of salvation.

Q1. (John 18:1-11) 

What do you think caused the soldiers to fall back in the Garden (18:6)? 

Why does Jesus rebuke Peter for defending Him with a sword (18:11)? 

Jesus is facing forces sent by hell. Why doesn't He resist?

The soldiers fell back in the Garden immediately after our Lord Jesus had revealed Himself to them as the “I AM”, the Almighty God. We often read in the Bible about the power of God’s spoken Word, and here the revelation of Christ’s divine power was so overwhelming that at His word the soldiers drew back and fell to the ground. John tells us these details to show us who is really in control, and that Jesus in obedience to the Father went willingly to the Cross. Jesus rebuked Peter for defending Him because in reality he was trying to take matters into his own hands instead of leaving things to our Lord. He did not, at this stage, know or understand God’s plan. But God is still in control, and all the evil of Judas and the misplaced zeal of Peter will not frustrate God's love and God's plan for the human race, for Christ to die for our sins. 

Q1. (John 18:1-11) What do you think caused the soldiers to fall back in the Garden (18:6)? Why does John tell us this detail? Why does Jesus rebuke Peter for defending him with a sword (18:11)? Jesus is facing forces sent by hell. Why doesn’t he resist?

I do not know why the synoptic gospels do not record this event. However, the the power full words of Jesus indicating He is, or "I am He" was beyond a confirmation he was the Son of God. Do the Jewish officials or temple guards have any idea of what had happened? I believe they were set on destroying Jesus no matter what would happen.

As stated above I do not know why John was the only one to record this incident, however, he is intent on expressing Jesus Son ship and authority was from above.

Jesus must let the will of the Father take place, Jesus had many legions of angels at his disposal if he wanted them. He did not want Peter to start an aggressive assault on the guards. The Fathers will, will be done.

Jesus does not resist the evil forces coming against him, as he stated to the apostles, that the evil one was approaching them.          

Lesson 30 Question 1

In John 18: 1 - 11, what do you think caused the soldiers to fall back in the garden?

The text says - "they drew back and fell to the ground." As explained in the teaching notes, John mentions this because it is significant. The text does not say why they drew back and fell. I believe they were overwhelmed by Jesus's boldness and authority. John tells us this to emphasize that Jesus was in control. Jesus was submitting to his mission.

Jesus rebuked Peter by telling him, "put the sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?" Again, it is obvious, the arrest is a submission that Jesus, obediently to the Father, undergoes. John is telling us that this was all in God's plan, orchestrated by the Father and the Son.

Q1. (John 18:1-11) What do you think caused the soldiers to fall back in the Garden (18:6)?

As soon as Jesus said, “I am he,” they went down, Jesus identified himself and was voicing God’s authority, as we read in (4:26) and apparently demonstrated the awesome “Power” of God.

Q2. Why does Jesus rebuke Peter for defending him with a sword (18:11)?

This is the cup the Messiah came to drink; neither Peter, nor the forces of evil are going to prevent the will of the Father that the Son came to fulfill.

What caused the soldies to fall when Jesus told the "I am he" was the awesome power of God in and around Jesus.

John recorded this to show the power that is associated with Jesus.

Why does Jesus rebuke Peter for defending him with a sword (18:11)?

Jesus rebuked Peter for cutting of the ear of the servant of the High Priest because Peter's action to fight back is contrary to the plan of salvation. Jesus'arrest will culminate to his death on the cross for the sin on mankind.

Jesus is facing forces sent by hell. Why doesn't he resist?

Jesus did not resist arrest because it is part of the processes that must take place for him to complete his mission, the salvation of mankind.

I had never considered this question before.  I think Pastor Ralph is right that it is the tangible presence of God that affected them so that they fell.  I suspect that John tells us this detail for the same reason that he has written the whole Gospel: to show that Jesus truly is God.  Jesus rebukes Peter because he is (yet again) using worldly thinking in trying to defend Jesus.  Jesus knows that he must ‘drink the cup’ given by his Father.  He does not resist for the same reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (John 18:1-11) What do you think caused the soldiers to fall back in the Garden (18:6)? Why does John tell us this detail? Why does Jesus rebuke Peter for defending him with a sword (18:11)? Jesus is facing forces sent by hell. Why doesn't he resist?

Just as the veil was torn when Christ gave up his spirit to die on the cross, so when He confronted those who came to seize Him, the power of God came upon the scene to knock them off their feet. John tells it to show that Jesus couldn't have been overpowered, and this moment may have saved some of his disciples from being hurt or killed by some quick swords.

This is the glory of Christ, the gentle suffering King, he volunteers to go with them, and orders that the others be left behind. He needs to keep his appointed rounds, and that means dying on the cross, not in the garden.

He as usual orchestrates what is going to happen, His destiny to Glory, to save all people from death, if they choose Him as their Lord and Savior.

The Jewish religious leaders were given authority by the Romans to make arrests for minor infractions. The Roman soldiers may not have participated in the arrest but accompanied the Temple guards to make sure matters didn’t get out of control.The men may have been startled by the boldness of Jesus’ question or by the words “I am he,” a declaration of his divinity. Or perhaps they were overcome by his obvious power and authority.

John does not record Judas’s kiss of greeting, but Judas’s kiss marked a turning point for the disciples. With Jesus’ arrest, each one’s life would be radically different. For the first time, Judas openly betrayed Jesus before the other disciples. For the first time, Jesus’ loyal disciples ran away from him. The band of disciples would undergo severe testing before they were transformed from hesitant followers to dynamic leaders.

Trying to protect Jesus, Peter pulled a sword and wounded the high priest’s servant. But Jesus told Peter to put away his sword and allow God’s plan to unfold. At times it is tempting to take matters into our own hands, to force the issue. Most often such moves lead to sin. Instead, we must trust God to work out his plan. If Peter had had his way, Jesus would not have gone to the cross, and God’s plan of redemption would have been thwarted.

Jesus did not resist because it was Gods plan and redemption human plan. He had to die for our sins  

• 2 months later...

This is the first time I've seen this explanation of Jesus' words that caused the crowd to literally fall back, but now it finally makes sense! When He said “I AM” perhaps there was a surge of spiritual power as His Shekinah glory was revealed for just an instant. The people were overwhelmed with the presence of Yahweh.  I think John included this detail because his focus the entire time has been to reveal Jesus's deity and full identity as God.

Peter reacted to this situation with fear and a desire to protect his Rabbi.  But our human perspectives and emotions are not always in line with what God is doing.  Jesus rebuked Peter's attack on Malchus because it was essentially Peter's attempt to stop what was happening and where it would lead. Yes, Jesus was facing the forces of hell, but it was a showdown ordained by the Father in order to fully defeat those forces and secure the plan of salvation and redemption. Jesus was always and only about the Father's will, and as difficult as this was going to be, He was not going to disobey now. He offered no resistence to the arrest.

• 2 weeks later...

--Soldiers falling back:  Ps 40:14 - Let them be ashamed and confounded together that seek after my soul to destroy it; let them be driven backward and put to shame that wish me evil.

--John's detail:  John's Gospel deals more with the fulfillment of prophecy than any of the other gospels.

--Rebuking Peter:  Peter, still at this point, does not understand that Jesus is fulfilling prophecy; that being to save those who are lost.  We don't save by killing, we save by loving.  Jesus loved us enough to die for us.

--No resistance from Jesus:  Because this is what He came to do and He did so willingly; nobody made Him do it...and no one could stop Him. --Thank God!

• 1 month later...

They “fell back” due to the enormity of the power of God radiating through Christ.  John details this event to show that it was the Glory of God that overpowered them and was a clear sign of His awesome power.  They were not overpowering Him, this event was a clear demonstration that he was giving Himself over to them feely.  Christ rebuked Peter because it was now “His time” and Peter’s actions could have put God’s plan in jeopardy.

• 3 years later...

I think that the cause of the soldiers to fall back in the Garden was because they knew that they were in the presentence of a spiritual man. I think that John told us this detail because he wanted us to know that even if we don’t believe in Jesus he was still a spiritual man. I think Jesus rebuked Peter for defending him with the sword because Jesus knew what was going to happen to him and he had to obey the Father. Jesus didn’t resist because He was sent down here to save the world. And the only way he was going to do that is to take our sins to the cross.

• 8 months later...

The cause of it was fear they knew that they were in the presence of a someone who was deeply spiritual. In order to let us know that Jesus was more than  a spiritual man; He was the Son of God. Because He knew it was His time to go. He rebuked Peter because He had to obey the Father fully or the world would not saved by Him. Jesus didn't resist because He loved us too much to do that. 

• 1 year later...

1.    What do you think caused the soldiers to fall back in the Garden (18:6)? I believe Jesus’ divine power was so manifest in his bold question and definitive I Am declaration that they were overwhelmed as usually happens in the presence of God.

2.     Why does John tell us this detail? Perhaps John wants to show us that Jesus’ divine power was still active in him but he chose to go along with the Father’s plan of salvation. In other words, John wants us to be awed by the Shekinah glory of God upon Jesus.

3.    Why does Jesus rebuke Peter for defending him with a sword (18:11)? He rebukes Peter, because he, Jesus will not be denied his glory and the Father's plan of salvation by Peter's heroic act of defense.

4.     Jesus is facing forces sent by hell. Why doesn't he resist? OBEDIENCE! This is the ultimate, the divine act of obedience to the Father’s Word to drink out of this cup; to glorify the Father by demonstrating His love for humanity in sacrificing His One and only Son so that whoever believes shall not perish but have everlasting life. Furthermore, Jesus is not overpowered by the forces sent by hell. He is in charge of the situation and is allowing of His own volition to be arrested and humiliated.

• 1 year later...

It was definitely the power of God.  After carefull study and prayer, ,I have concluded that John is again teaching that Jesus Christ is deity, Son of God and Son of Man.

John goes into detail to teach us that this was the decisive hour--commencement of the Paschal mystery.   The Passion,death, Resurrection and Ascension stand center in our Christain faith.  Christ our Eternal High Priest has accomplished God's salvation plan.

Peter was rebuked because Christ knows that His work on earth is being completed.  Peter was looking at this scene with eyes of the flesh. Only at Pentecost, did the Paschal mystery make sense; Peter and the Apostles needed further tutoring.

Christ didn't resist at all.  We must remember that God the Father and the Holy Spirit were present during this time.  Christ was so full of love for His Father that He desired to be the suffering servant of Israel. Christ knew He was in the order of Melchizedek; He was both Victim and High Priest.

• 8 months later...

What do you think caused the soldiers to fall back in the Garden (18:6)?  I feel it was the Power of God/ the Shekinah Glory (you cannot overpower it).  

Why does John tell us this detail?  If Jesus had not handed Himself over, the soldiers would not have been able to take Him at all. They would not have been able to as much as touch Him. Jesus complied to the instructions of the Father and literally handed Himself over to them.   John tells us this detail so we can know that this was actually in answer to Jesus prayer where He asked the Father that His disciples would see His glory.  Here they saw that no power on earth could overpower Him. They could plainly see that no one could arrest Him , He gave Himself over. It was a willing deed.

Why does Jesus rebuke Peter for defending Him with a sword (18:11)?  Peter, in his enthusiasm, was actually trying to stop them from carrying out God's plan for Salvation of mankind.

Jesus is facing forces sent by hell. Why doesn't He resist?  He is carrying out  His Father's plan and is obedient to the very end.