JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. (John 19:1-6) Why do you think Pilate maintains Jesus’ innocence and then has him brutally scourged? Why does Jesus allow himself to be brutally scourged and then mocked? (see Hebrews 12:2) How much persecution are you willing to endure to accomplish the mission the Father has given you?

• 1 month later...

(John 19:1-6) Why do you think Pilate maintains Jesus’ innocence and then has him brutally scourged? Why does Jesus allow himself to be brutally scourged and then mocked? (see Hebrews 12:2) How much persecution are you willing to endure to accomplish the mission the Father has given you? 

Pilate wants to release Jesus to gain sympathy for Jesus with the crowd by flogging and humiliating him. Pilate plans to punish Jesus severely to mollify the Jewish leaders, and then let him go in the interests of justice. As Roman procurator, Pilate is committed to justice, which would require him to release Jesus. But as a politician, he is committed to keeping the peace and his job! Rome expects him to keep his province peaceful, to diffuse dissent that could become ugly, and, if necessary, to put down rebellion ruthlessly. He hopes that the Jews will have mercy on one of their own, especially one who is represented as "the king of Jews," when they see the results of flogging, and recognize that their own nation and people are being punished in the person of this "king." Many people, like Peter, can say that they are willing to die for Jesus and His cause. However, when the time comes and the chips are down, only then will we know the truth of how we will react.

Q5. (John 19:1-6) Why do you think Pilate maintains Jesus’ innocence and then has him brutally scourged?

Pilate's wife had warned him that in a dream she'd seen that Jesus was innocent....so he didn't want the consequence of having Jesus put to death, but hoped that scourging Jesus would satisfy the crowd who were shouting for Him to be crucified.

Why does Jesus allow himself to be brutally scourged and then mocked? (see Hebrews 12:2)

Jesus, for the joy that was set before Him endured the suffering....the joy of seeing each one who in the future would belong to His Father through faith in His shed blood for us. He knew His mission was to suffer and die, and with His "face set like flint" He ignored the shame and faced the agony.

How much persecution are you willing to endure to accomplish the mission the Father has given you?

Oddly, the only persecution I've faced thus far, has been mocking and rejection from "Christians" who don't believe the Holy Spirit moves today, and from one who in anger, said adamantly that "God does not speak to us today."

I pray that Holy Spirit will give me boldness and courage to face whatever may come and that I will finish the race or mission He's given me.  I think of Steven who was given that strength and comfort even as he was facing death, His face radiant, full of the Holy Spirit and controlled by Him saw the glory, splendor and majesty of God and Jesus standing at God's right hand. He said "Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of man standing at God's right hand!" Falling on his knees as they hurled the stones, fell on his knees, crying: Lord, fix not his sin upon them", and prayed "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit"...and fell asleep in death.

Q5. (John 19:1-6) Why do you think Pilate maintains Jesus’ innocence and then has him brutally scourged? Why does Jesus allow himself to be brutally scourged and then mocked? (see Hebrews 12:2) How much persecution are you willing to endure to accomplish the mission the Father has given you?

It seemed like a good compromise.  Declare that he cannot find him guilty, but satisfy the blood thirsty crowd by scourging Him.

Why does Jesus allow himself to be brutally scourged and then mocked?

For the joy set before Him. This kind of makes me put my head down and think of every time I have griped about things.  This statement silences the conversation for me as I meditate on who Jesus is and what He has done for me and anyone who will claim Him.

How much persecution are you willing to endure to accomplish the mission the Father has given you?  On my own, not much.  Oh the desire, the Peter like statements, are there but when the persecution gets hot I need the Holy Spirit.

It's alright to acknowledge the pain, we don't live in denial but we must keep on even to the death.  Corrie Ten Boom said "God gives us the ticket at the right time" and if we ask we will have the help of the Holy Spirit when we need it.

God bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Pilate probably considers it prudent to scourge Jesus as he has to be seen to be doing his job. As mentioned in the notes also Pilate may have done this to appease the crowd, hoping that this would be enough, as he seemed convinced of Jesus innocence. I don't know if I would be willing to endure persecution and discrimination as a christian.

As a result of discrimination, perhaps it would mean my life or my families lives are in danger. I may not have a job because of discrimination against me. My son may not have a job because he may be discriminated against as he comes from a christian family, even though he does not profess to be a christian at the moment. I may be in Jail because my family is christian. My wife, even though she is destitute, may have to bring me meals every day! My wife or a member of my family may be desperately ill but because we are christian there is no medical intervention. What a cost!

Evan though Pilate maintains Jesus innocence to the crowd, he has Jesus scourged in order to get the crowd to see his physical condition and hopefully to get them to feel pity for Jesus. Hoping they would call for for his release instead of crying out for crucifixion.

Jesus allows  himself to be brutally scourged and mocked because first he wants to fulfill the will of the Father, to declare the truth of God to the people. Second, by his enduring this treatment he shows that as he endured suffering for the truth, so his disciples will have courage and faith to endure suffering as he did.

The amount of persecution I'm willing to endure for the accomplishment of the Father's mission he has for me is in reality unknown even to me. I would hope that I could even endure death itself for him. Only the Lord himself would know how much a person could endure for him.     

Q5. (John 19:1-6) 

Why do you think Pilate maintains Jesus' innocence and then has Him brutally scourged? 

Why does Jesus allow Himself to be brutally scourged and then mocked? (see Hebrews 12:2) 

How much persecution are you willing to endure to accomplish the mission the Father has given you?

I think that Pilate had hoped that the punishment of having Jesus brutally flogged would satisfy the Jews, and that then they would not demand Jesus’ death. Jesus kept His eyes fixed on the coming glory when all the redeemed would be with Him eternally, thereby enabling Him to endure all the shame, suffering, and even death. We thank our Lord and Saviour for His love, grace, and mercy shown to us on the Cross. The pain and humiliation He suffered for my sins – our sins. It is easy to say I’m willing to endure all kinds of persecution, but I feel when such a time does perhaps come, I will definitely not be able to withstand any form of extreme hardship without the help from my Heavenly Father. 

Q5. (John 19:1-6) Why do you think Pilate maintains Jesus' innocence and then has him brutally scourged?

I see him as a weak man who did NOT know the “truth” -  for Pilate, truth was a philosophical question divorced from practicality, there are many people always learning, but not able to come to full knowledge of the truth; here we see a man always taunting and seeking an excuse to set Jesus free, but too weak in “truth” to do so: As we see “truth” to the reason why Pilate had him scourged as spoken by the Son of man in Matthew 20:18-19  Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death, And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again.

Lesson 30 Question 5

Pilate had to have known that Jesus was innocent of the charge of rebellion against Rome and against himself. But he,  being pragmatic, was also invested in preventing a riot, so he compromised, thinking he would give a little and appease the religious leaders. Unfortunately, he miscalculated and underestimated the vitriol of the religious establishment who was intent on killing and humiliating Jesus.

Hebrews 12: 2 - 3 tells us that Jesus did this as the "author and perfecter of our faith" - died as a ransom for us. And, also,  so that we will not grow weary and lose heart.

Am I willing to serve others and completely give up my rights - turn the other cheek. This is most difficult. Most of us will not have to make the ultimate sacrifice but we should be willing - not to suffer for the sake of suffering but for the sake of the other - for their good. This takes courage and much trust in the Father - that he works out everything for our good.

Q5. (John 19:1-6) Why do you think Pilate maintains Jesus' innocence and then has him brutally scourged?   

He wanted to show justice by releasing Jesus but the Jews were bent on killing Him so he had Jesus scourged hoping that the Jews would accept that and release Him.

Why does Jesus allow himself to be brutally scourged and then mocked? (see Hebrews 12:2)

He knew that all what was happening to Him was necessary so as to complete the work of His Father for our salvation.

Only as much as the Holy Trinity will give me the grace to bear without falling.

I think Pilate was in a very difficult political situation.  I read somewhere that at that time he was under political pressure from Rome at the time due to the killing of his patron Sejanus.  He wanted to be everybody’s friend, Romans and Jews.  However this was not possible.  Clearly Jesus was innocent and Pilate knew it, but at the same time he wanted support wherever he could find it.  Therefore, if the mob wanted blood, he was prepared to scourge Jesus.  In other words he was a weak character. 

I don’t know my capacity for persecution; I have surprised myself in the past by being unexpectedly brave or cowardly at different times.  Of course, I will not give up my mission if I can possibly help it.  I think it helps to remind oneself that we are never given more suffering than we are able to bear.

• 3 weeks later...

Q5. (John 19:1-6) Why do you think Pilate maintains Jesus' innocence and then has him brutally scourged? Why does Jesus allow himself to be brutally scourged and then mocked? (see Hebrews 12:2) How much persecution are you willing to endure to accomplish the mission the Father has given you?

Flogging could have killed Jesus. The usual procedure was to bare the upper half of the victim’s body and tie his hands to a pillar before whipping him with a three-pronged whip, with pieces of lead in the prongs. The number of lashes was determined by the severity of the crime; up to 40 were permitted under Jewish law. After being flogged, Jesus also endured other agonies recorded here and in the other Gospels.

One of John's purposes was to show that Christianity was not a threat to the Roman government or its officials. John records that Pilate tried to release Jesus several times. The reason the Jewish leaders wanted Jesus crucified was so that the curse of  would become effective. This is one reason why Paul probably had such great doubts about Jesus of Nazareth being God's Messiah. However, we learn from Gal. 3:13 that Jesus bore our curse on the cross.

We are persecuted every day for the sack of the gospel but we will persever. 

• 2 months later...

Jesus was ultimately sent to His death by Pilate for political expediency. The picture Pastor Ralph has painted for us is very descriptive and clear. Pilate did not believe Jesus was guilty and gave opportunities for the people to relent from their emotional senseless call for His demise. The brutal scourging was intended to gain some degree of sympathy and satisfaction that this was punishment enough.

Hebrews 12:2 gives the insight that Jesus allowed this unspeakable barbaric affliction and mocking of His identity because He chose to look through it to the ultimate end. The Father was going to use every step that led to Jesus' death for His glory in securing atonement for man's sin, salvation of man from judgment, and restoration of fallen humanity to Himself. Jesus completely trusted that the Father is faithful to gloriously reward those who are faithful to obey His will. I think, too, that Jesus offered His body as a living sacrifice that was holy and acceptable to the Father in this most ultimate way (Romans 12:1) and that this particular part of His physical death was used to open every blood vessel and capillary so that every drop of blood in His body would be released as an offering for our atonement sacrifice. Nothing was held back.

It's hard, indeed, the embrace this kind of persecution and brutality. Father, help me endure whatever is required to accomplish the mission You have designed for me.

• 2 months later...

Why do you think Pilate maintains Jesus' innocence and then has him brutally scourged?  On the surface, John’s text seems to indicate that Pilate was sympathetic to Jesus’ plight but in truth, he was as equally vicious and sadistic as any Roman of that time.  He was simply trying to keep from appearing weak by giving in to the demands of the Jews.  I believe he ordered the scourging of Jesus as a last ditch effort to save face by sparing Jesus from crucifixion in spite of the demands of the Jews.  The Romans never hesitated to put any non-citizen to the lash and the beating would generally continue until the prisoner was at the very brink of death.  The Jews themselves limited the scourge to forty lashes, stopping at thirty-nine to avoid breaking the law but in Jesus’ case, I personally don’t believe they put any limits on how many lashes he could or would receive.

Why does Jesus allow himself to be brutally scourged and then mocked?  It’s only through the horrific sacrifice that Jesus made for us that we can even begin to fathom the magnitude of our sin and God’s boundless love for us.  Jesus was perfect!  He was born of human flesh and blood and vulnerable to the temptations common to mankind.  He was tested and tempted by Satan but He did not sin.  Just as Isaiah prophesied (Isaiah 53), God laid our sins on Jesus through the beating he suffered and His ultimate crucifixion.  “…the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.” (Isaiah 53:5)

How much persecution are you willing to endure to accomplish the mission the Father has given you?  I can only hope and pray that if I ever have to face death for my Lord and Savior that I would go willingly.  I also know that I’m not Jesus Christ, I’m not sinless, nor am I perfect.  I’m simply a man who’s subject to the frailties and weaknesses of all men so, because of my faith in God, I can say without any doubt that I (believe in my heart) that I’d endure anything, other than that, I really have no firm basis for answering this question.

• 3 years later...

Pilate maintains Jesus’ innocence and then has him brutally scourged because he was trying to pacify the Jewish leaders. Jesus allowed himself to be brutally scourged and then mocked because he knew that was the reason that he was sent to the earth. He was to die for our sins. I have asked the question of how much persecution I was willing to endure to accomplish the mission the Father has given me many times. I just hope I will endure to the end.

• 7 months later...

He did it since his wife told him about the dream she said and also because he didn't believe he was truly guilty of what they charged with. He did it to pacify and placate the Jewish leaders. Jesus allowed it because he was the one person who could truly save us from our sins. I am not sure. 

• 2 years later...

Pilate thought that would placate the crowd and that would be the end of their griviencies when the people would view Jesus Christ scouraged, wearing a crown of thorns and clothed in a purple robe.  Pilate thought that this mock-majesty would create leniency in their hearts.

Christ endured this because He knew He was called by His Father to be the Author or Originator of our salvation. Christ is is called of God to a high priest after the order of Melchizedek (Hebrews 5:9-10).

I have come to realize that true Bible believers from various denominations may just have to go underground.  Even here in USA, the Roman Catholic Church will not reprimand RC politicians for their aggressive pro-abortion position.  If one preaches the undulterated Word of God in any typical RC or Protestant church; that individual will be promptly silenced.    I have accepted the fact that I one day, I will have to be like those believers who lived in Russia during the Stalin era.

• 8 months later...

Q5. (John 19:1-6)

Why do you think Pilate maintains Jesus' innocence and then has him brutally scourged?

Why does Jesus allow himself to be brutally scourged and then mocked? (see Hebrews 12:2)

Pilate believed in His innocence and tried in various ways to release Him.  Finally he has Jesus flogged in the hope that when the Jews  then see Him they will have mercy on one of their own people and that He can then be released.  

Jesus allowed all this to happen so that He would fulfill the will of the Father, to redeem mankind.  He endured to the end. this ever remains an example to us.

It is easy to say what we think we will do and how we think we will react, but we don't really know until we are in that position.  I pray that God will help me to endure to the very end, regardless of the outcome.