JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. Pilate's Fear

Q6. (John 19:7-15) What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders report that Jesus claimed to be the Son of God? What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders threaten to report him to Caesar? Which fear wins out? What fears control you and keep you from serving Jesus fully? What motivation is winning out in your life?

• 1 month later...

(John 19:7-15) What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders report that Jesus claimed to be the Son of God? What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders threaten to report him to Caesar? Which fear wins out? What fears control you and keep you from serving Jesus fully? What motivation is winning out in your life? 

In John 19:7, the real reason for the Jews' accusation appear - "The Jews insisted, 'We have a law, and according to that law he must die, because he claimed to be the Son of God.'" To Pilate, the term "Son of God" is alarming. Greek and Roman mythologies had many divine beings that went around as men. Pilate is now afraid that he has offended a god.

"... Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jews kept shouting, 'If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar.'" (John 19:12) Pilate feared that if they actually sent an embassy, they would also expose the rest of his conduct as governor by stating in full the briberies, the insults, the outrages and wanton injuries, the executions without trial constantly repeated, the ceaseless and supremely grievous cruelty. The fear of self-preservation won over the fear of offending the gods and Pilate capitulated to the Jews' demands.

Q6. (John 19:7-15) What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders report that Jesus claimed to be the Son of God?

With his belief in many gods, he was fearful that he has offended a god who is appearing in the form of a man. (Jesus)

What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders threaten to report him to Caesar?

He fears reprisals from Caesar for being too lenient to a self proclaimed king.

Which fear wins out?

His fear of man ...Caesar!...perhaps for his own life for being seen as a traitor for being too lenient or at the least, fear of a demotion.

What fears control you and keep you from serving Jesus fully? What motivation is winning out in your life?

At the moment there are none, but in the past, there was the fear "of man"(I was controlled as a child by disapproval and threats and beatings, so that always lurked in the back of my mind when asked to serve in some way) and of "failure".(being ridiculed or shamed for not doing it "right".) After wrestling in prayer, my motive was to serve the Lord in what He called me to do....and He won over the fears. In looking back, it's clear that the fears were threats from Satan to stop me from accomplishing what the Lord was calling me to do.

Q6. (John 19:7-15) What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders report that Jesus claimed to be the Son of God? What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders threaten to report him to Caesar? Which fear wins out? What fears control you and keep you from serving Jesus fully? What motivation is winning out in your life?

What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders report that Jesus claimed to be the Son of God?

one of the many gods thought to exist

What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders threaten to report him to Caesar?

he fears the wrath of the Emperor and the Jews.

Which fear wins out?

fear of the Jews

What fears control you and keeping you from serving Jesus fully?

Right now nothing

What motivation is winning in your life?

Endeavoring to do what is pleasing to the Lord

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

According to the notes, Pilate wonders if Jesus may be a god (similar to other Roman gods of the time) after the Jewish leaders tell him about Jesus claiming to be the Son of God. In Greek and Roman mythologies, many of their divine beings went around as men. Pilate therefore, may have been afraid that he had offended a god. Pilate also fears that the Jewish authorities may-as they have made a veiled threat, report him to Caesar (19:12). This would mean that his job-or even his life, may be in jeopardy.

Fear of being humiliated. Making a "dick" of myself. Fear of rejection. Fear of being ridiculed.

I seem to be a listener. I like to visit people, and have a amiable acquaintances with some people, whom I am praying for.

(John 19:7-15) What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders report that Jesus claimed to be the Son of God?

1.  Pilate is now afraid that he has offended a god.

2.  Pilate is afraid that they are going to report that he was being soft on revolutionaries and he was no friend of Caesar. 

Which fear wins out? What fears control you and keep you from serving Jesus fully? What motivation is winning out in your life?

3.  The fear of being reported to Caesar wins out.  Currently, there are no fears that keep me from serving Jesus fully.  Knowing that I can do all things thru Christ who strengthen me keeps me motivated.

Pilate seems to be fearful when the Jewish leaders say Jesus claimed to be the Son of God, because in Roman and Greek mythology many gods were in human form, thus he was afraid ha had made a god angry at him.

Pilate knows that the Jewish leaders will indeed report him to Caesar if he fails to cave into the Jewish leaders wishes. Obviously they had gone to Caesar before to complain about the misdeeds he had done before.

The fear that wins out of course is when the Jewish leaders threaten to go to Caesar about Pilates actions in the past, he gives in to the request of the leaders to crucify Jesus.

Fears that control me from serving Jesus fully is the fact that I feel I am not worthy enough to be his servant. I do not want to make a fool of the Lord by my misunderstanding of the word correctly or not communicating it correctly to others.

The motivation that is winning out in my life is to do the best job of being a servant I can be and let the Lord take it from there.          

Q6. (John 19:7-15) 

What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders report that Jesus claimed to be the Son of God? 

Which fear wins out? 

What fears control you and keep you from serving Jesus fully? 

What motivation is winning out in your life?

The thought that Jesus might be a man with divine powers, or perhaps a god or son of a god in human form, must have filled Pilate with fear. Like most Romans he was superstitious, and he must have been afraid that he might incur the wrath of the gods. What made matters worse was his wife’s dream about Jesus and her warning to him (Matthew 27:19). However, when the Jews kept shouting, "If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar", we see Pilate weakly submitting to the Jewish mob. He could not afford to be seen as disloyal to Caesar. In the end the fear of man wins out. Fortunately I can honestly say I have no real fears of serving Jesus fully. Except perhaps, in the past, the fear of speaking in public. If it was not for this fear I might have been able to serve the Lord better. But now I am “past my sell by date” and it does not matter anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lesson 30 Question 6

Pilate, upon hearing that Jesus had claimed to be the Son of God, became even more afraid. Whether it was because pilot really considered that Jesus could be a son of a god or more likely that it substantiated the claim of the religious leaders that Jesus was a king leading a rebellion, we can only speculate.

But, John makes clear, that Pilate was  moved by his fear of a bad report to his boss -Caesar.

I too, I must confess, fear a bad report,  that is, I want to please people and too often don't speak up as I should for God for fear of ridicule. To see this same weakness in me as was in Pilate is very convicting of me. God forgive me and give me the courage to be like Jesus, who was completely obedient to the Father.

Lesson 30 Question 6

Pilate, upon hearing that Jesus had claimed to be the Son of God, became even more afraid. Whether it was because pilot really considered that Jesus could be a son of a god or more likely that it substantiated the claim of the religious leaders that Jesus was a king leading a rebellion, we can only speculate.

But, John makes clear, that Pilate was  moved by his fear of a bad report to his boss -Caesar.

I too, I must confess, fear a bad report,  that is, I want to please people and too often don't speak up as I should for God for fear of ridicule. To see this same weakness in me as was in Pilate is very convicting of me. God forgive me and give me the courage to be like Jesus, who was completely obedient to the Father.

Q6. (John 19:7-15) What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders report that Jesus claimed to be the Son of God?   What motivation is winning out in your life?

He feared that he might have offended a god.

What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders threaten to report him to Caesar? Which fear wins out?

He feared loosing his job. This fear won out.

What fears control you and keep you from serving Jesus fully?

Several. So help me God.

Pilate feared that Jesus might actually be a god.  Pilate feared for his career and even for his life as Tiberius was a very bloodthirsty emperor.  Fear for his career won.  In the past, fears of not being able to support my family by giving myself wholeheartedly made me serve weakly.  Two years ago my life was transformed so that that is no longer the case.  I am now free to give myself freely as never before.

• 3 weeks later...

The truth finally came out—the religious leaders had not brought Jesus to Pilate because he was causing rebellion against Rome, but because they thought he had broken their religious laws. Blasphemy, one of the most serious crimes in Jewish law, deserved the death penalty. Accusing Jesus of blasphemy would give credibility to their case in the eyes of Jews; accusing Jesus of treason would give credibility to their case in the eyes of the Romans. They didn’t care which accusation Pilate listened to, as long as he would cooperate with them in killing Jesus.

Throughout the trial we see that Jesus was in control, not Pilate or the religious leaders. Pilate vacillated, the Jewish leaders reacted out of hatred and anger, but Jesus remained composed. He knew the truth, he knew God’s plan, and he knew the reason for his trial. Despite the pressure and persecution, Jesus remained unmoved. It was really Pilate and the religious leaders who were on trial, not Jesus. When you are questioned or ridiculed because of your faith, remember that while you may be on trial before your accusers, they are on trial before God.

Fear of the unknown what are people going to say. Unbelief causes fear, we need to trust in the Lord in everything we do and serve God

"Things work out best for those who make the best of how things workout,serve God and have a winning life

Pilate is a cruel leader, to suppress revolution, to keep control, he kills whom he desires without thinking much except to not lose control/ power. The Jewish leaders are somewhat similar, and intend to manipulate Pilate to kill Jesus so they can have control of the kind of church they want to lead, inspired by the devil.

There are too many fears I have right now, that my legs will not be healed and I will end up in a wheel chair, that I  can't work and will lose my home and be very poor with nothing.

This is not likely to happen, but I need admit my fears and give them to Him, and to pray a lot more and trust God more than ever before. It is not enough that others pray for me. I need and most of the time do believe he will heal me enough for most of the other fears to not happen. But my procrastination and using my illness as an excuse has resulting in me making God small when he is really so much greater than I can imagine. He is strong an I am weak, he can make me strong in Him. He will deliver me in His time. He is winning me to a greater faith than every before. I am human and sometimes waiver, but the Lord will provide and I just need to keep seeking Him.

• 1 month later...

In that day, as in the ancient world, one who came as the “son” of a god was considered to be one who was that god's representation of authority to humans. This equated to being a divine being, which would cause Pilate to be terrified at the thought of displeasing a god. It also equated to the authority of a king. The people's claim that Jesus was calling Himself their king could be construed to Rome to mean that Jesus was a political threat of some kind. Pilate could not afford for Rome's attention to be directed toward him with an investigation into his own leadership, conduct, methods, and failures. He was afraid for “his own skin” and ultimately did not want to give the Jewish leaders reason to act on their threats to report him to Caesar. He gave in to that fear and desire for self-protection as he chose to sentence an innocent man to death in order to appease the demands of those rabid leaders.

I think what hinders me most is discouragement. God has taken me through a number of lessons during my life to liberate me from being controlled by fear, for the most part.  But what I battle now is being disheartened and overcome with inertia by so much bias, desire for control, and degrees of legalism within the church. It has taken the wind out of my sails to the point that I often wonder what in the world is my mission at this stage of my life. It's a constant and deliberate effort to rise above that. As I so often plead, Lord, my latter years are not to be empty or useless, so please give me Your vision for the mission You still have for me to do.

• 2 months later...

Luke 23:3 depicts Pilate asking Jesus if he was in-fact the king of the Jews, to which Jesus replied “It is as you say.”  The Jews attempted to construe Jesus’ claims in a political connotation by charging Him with adopting the title of (an earthly) “king” and forbidding the payment of tribute to Rome (“Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” Matthew 22:21).  The lesson quotes Philo’s opinion that Pilate feared that the Jews would “expose his conduct.” The lesson also says that he probably overstated his position and I totally agree with that assessment. Because of all the political unrest in Israel at the time, Pilate wasn’t in good standing with Tiberius anyway and the Jewish leaders had turned a multitude of people against Jesus.  Personally, I believe that what he feared most of all was the possibility an insurrection if he didn’t capitulate.  I’m quite sure he knew full well that the Jews had placed him in a very precarious situation, they wanted Jesus executed and if he refused he would certainly be running the risk of insurrection.  Roman magistrates had wide discretion in executing their tasks so my guess is that he felt that an insurrection would have brought infinitely more of Caesar’s wrath down on him than having the Jewish leadership "report" him for “briberies, insults and outrages.”  Either way, this was a no-win situation for him.

My greatest fear is failing to fully accomplish the tasks that He’s given me and a desire to do his will is my motivation.

• 3 years later...

I think that Pilate feared that Jesus was a powerful man (which he is) from the celestial heaven like the myth Souse and that he was going to be cursed if he crucified Jesus. I think that Pilate feared that Caesar would look into what he had been doing and maybe remove him from office. The fear that wins out is the fear of Caesar.

• 7 months later...

I think he feared that he offended the God of the Israelites. He fears that He will lose his job. The one with losing his job. Discouragement, burn out and other things crowding out time with Him in the morning. Being a soul winner. 

• 2 years later...

Pilate feared the Sanhedrin and the people who could start a grievance to Caesar protesting  giving amnesty to Christ.  The other fear he had was being responsible of killing an innocent man.  Pilate was warned by his wife not to have any part in His death.  Fear of the Sanhedrin and the populace won out;  Pilate was more concerned of his prideful status.  

I have had fears of going back to Manhattan to resume my street evangelical preaching.   Perhaps my fears are well warranted due to the steep rise of crime; people have been injured including NYPD.   I have prayed about this.   So I have decided to go out of state to more safer venues until NYC crime subsides.   At present I don't have a regular diligent associate to assist me in distribution of Gospel tracts and act as a reliable body guard.  I know that Christ did exercise prudence when the religious authorities in Jerusalem were getting angry.  Christ did exercise wisdom during His ministry.   

• 8 months later...

Q6. (John 19:7-15)

What does Pilate fear when the Jewish leaders threaten to report him to Caesar

Which fear wins out?

It was believed that sometimes the gods or sons of the gods walked on earth as common man.  Pilate now feared that he was indeed  questioning one, who was a god in human form.  Little did he realize that indeed it was The Son of God in reality not just the make belief stuff prevalent as idols whom they acknowledged as gods.  When it seemed like the leaders were not getting their way and Pilate was trying every which way to release Jesus, as he saw Him to be innocent, they gave a punch line and threatened to report him to higher authority.  Pilate knew this was no idle threat and he had done lots wrong in his rule so he preferred those things hidden and not revealed further to Caesar. This fear won in the end and to appease them he handed Jesus over eventually to be crucified. 

For me , the fear is rejection and not being good enough to do what I feel I need to do.  I seem to have been criticized a lot and this puts a damper on doing or saying things. Many times I then fail by not even going or trying to attempt to do what I felt I should do.