JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Agony in the Psalms

• 1 month later...

Q1. (John 19:23-24; Psalm 22:14-18) In what ways did Jesus fulfill Psalm 22:14-18? What does the Psalms passage tell us about how Jesus felt on the cross?

Jesus' crucifixion fulfilled the prophecy in Psalm 22:14-18 thus:

- he was weak

- he was thirsty

- a band of evil men has encircled him ie the Jews and the criminals who were crucified beside Jesus

- his hands and feet were pierced

- soldiers divided Jesus' garment among themselves

- soldiers cast lots for his clothing

Jesus' feelings on the cross as prophesied in the Psalm :

- fear

- humiliation

- pain

Q1. (John 19:23-24; Psalm 22:14-18) In what ways did Jesus fulfill Psalm 22:14-18?

"I am poured out like water" : Jesus was dehydrated from the beatings, lack of water, heat from the sun...He literally poured out His life and life blood, and then when the sword pierced His side and heart, blood and water poured onto the cursed ground.

"My bones are out of joint" : Jesus body was wracked with pain, as he hung from nails through his wrists and feet. Certainly his shoulders, neck and back were twisted out of joint, as too his knees from feet being crossed at ankles, and the force of pushing against them to draw breath.

"My heart is like wax, melted down within me": Jesus heart was under enormous stress from all of the torture, and the weight of the worlds sins upon His sinless body, and bearing His Father's wrath for sin, for you and for me, so that we will never have to experience it.

"My strength is dried up like a fragment of broken clay pottery" : Jesus strength was gone, beaten nearly to death, the flesh on His back shredded so the his bones were exposed, and now rubbing against the cross as He fought to breathe.

"My tongue cleaves to my jaws and you have brought me into the dust of death" : Jesus was at the point of death, from blood loss, shock, torture, and dehydration, hanging onto life until His work was completed and He'd fulfilled every prophecy of His life and death and could declare, "It is finished!"  Only then did He give up His life.

"Like a pack of dogs they surround and encircle me, they pierced my hands and my feet"  The soldiers who nailed Him to the cross were there watching Him suffer.

"I can count all my bones; the evildoers gaze at Me" : Jesus was in agony in every part of His body, as they continued to watch Him, ignoring His suffering. Some watched to sneer and to taunt Him to come down from the cross if He really is the Son of God.

"They part my clothing among them and cast lots for my seamless garment" : As Jesus suffered, the guards gambled for His seamless tunic...the only thing Jesus owned.

"Deliver my life from the sword"....God answered...Jesus had given up His life before they could kill Him, and pierce Him with the sword.

"I will declare Your Name to my brethren"....He cried out to His Father in their midst. He now worships His Father through the lips and voices of His brothers and sisters, as we yield to Him as we worship together. (Heb. 2:11,12)

"He despised not the shame of the cross" but gave Himself willingly to save us.

"When He cried to His Father, He heard Him".....He surrendered His life at the exact moment the lamb was being slain in the temple...Jesus must have heard the shofar blast from the temple telling the Jews that the lamb for their sins had been slain, as the true Lamb of God gave up His Spirit for their sins and ours.

"The kingship and the Kingdom are the Lord's"....He is now King of King and Lord of Lord's!

"They shall come and declare His righteousness" : Even the Roman Centurion said "Surely He was the Son of God!"

What does the Psalms passage tell us about how Jesus felt on the cross?

Jesus was in inexpressible agony in every area of His body, soul and spirit......yet He endured all of that for me. Perhaps the greatest horror was in being separated from His Father as He turned His back on His Son, unable to look upon the sins of all of us on He Who had no sin....so that we will never be separated from Him. There aren't enough words of praise to thank Him for His precious gift of life for me. It will take all of eternity to tell Him and then that won't be enough praise!

(John 19:23-24; Psalm 22:14-18) In what ways did Jesus fulfill Psalm 22:14-18? What does the Psalms passage tell us about how Jesus felt on the cross?

This is a beautiful Ps to predict the death of Christ, followed by Ps 23 and 24 to show us why Jesus was willing to go through such a death.

14 I am poured out like water; all my bones are out of joint. My heart is like wax, melting within me.

Vs 14 shows the pain Jesus went through.

15 My strength is dried up like broken pottery; my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth, and you have brought me down to the dust of death.

Jesus gave us His all on the cross. Also His strength. He is dehydrated and weak and humiliated

16 For dogs have surrounded me; a gang of those who practice of evil has encircled me. They gouged my hands and my feet.

We are humans are responsible for this.

17 I can count all my bones. They look at me; they stare at me.

He feels pain throughout His body

18 They divide my clothing among themselves; they cast lots for my clothing!

This they Did.

Many of the previous verses also point to Christ, as well as the following.

A few earlier verses

6 But as for me, I am only a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by people.

Points to the humiliation of Christ.

The worm also points to the worms that were used to die cloth red, as for the tabernacle, pointing to the Blood shed by Jesus for us

7 Everyone who sees me mocks me; they gape at me with open mouths and shake their heads at me.

As they did

8 They say, “Commit yourself to the LORD; perhaps the LORD will deliver him, perhaps he will cause him to escape, since he delights in him.”

As they did

Q1. (John 19:23-24; Psalm 22:14-18) In what ways did Jesus fulfill Psalm 22:14-18? What does the Psalms passage tell us about how Jesus felt on the cross? 

20 or so years ago I saw a book called "What Jesus Saw From the Cross" and opened it up to a page that gave a graphic description of crucifixion.  I almost passed out and had to sit down in the aisle of the store until I could stand again without feeing faint.  I don't have that book however I looked in Jamieson-Faucett Bible Commentary because I couldn't describe melting heart.  It seemed to me that wax breaks down slowly into a non solid form and oozes where it can until it gets cold enough to solidify.  That seemed to me when death comes and the body cools.  Here is what the commentary mentioned above says.  "The solidity of the body is destroyed and it becomes like water; the bones are parted; the heart, the very seat of vitality melts like wax; all the juices of the system are dried up; the tongue can no longer perform its office, but lies parched and stiffened."
Jesus would have already, before the crucifixion, been dehydrated because of the large amounts of perspiration  during his prayer in the Mount of Olives, during the flogging which was excessive he lost large amounts of blood.  The Romans did all they could to prolong the agony and make it as unbearable as possible without the ability to pass out.  Every breath Jesus took was in excruciating pain.

Jesus felt 
fear, rejection, alone ,forsaken, thirst, weakness, difficulty breathing, excruciating pain, and love for is mother, and much more that we don't know.

God Bless!
Jen
Numbers 6:24-26

(John 19:23-24; Psalm 22:14-18) In what ways did Jesus fulfill Psalm 22:14-18? What does the Psalms passage tell us about how Jesus felt on the cross?          

• Jesus fulfilled Psalm 22:14-18 by dying on the cross...He will be crucified...His strength was drained...he was thirsty...encircled by a gang of evil men...they pierced his hands and feet...soldiers gambled his clothes and divided his clothes among themselves.
  • Suffered humiliation and pain.

Psalm 22 is describing the experience of someone being crucified. Wikipedia states that ..."The New Testament makes numerous allusions to Psalm 22, mainly during the crucifixion of Jesus."

According to the Psalm, Jesus felt the symptoms of severe dehydration because of the loss of blood, as a result of the scourging, he was at the edge of death. In addition the Psalm alludes to a feeling of utter shame and humiliation as people laugh and stare at him, hanging on the cross.

Q1. (John 19:23-24; Psalm 22:14-18) 

In what ways did Jesus fulfil Psalm 22:14-18? 

I am poured out like water – His exhaustion as His blood flows. 

All my bones are out of joint – the agony of bone dislocation by hanging on the cross.

My heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me – violent disorder of His internal organs; His heart, for instance, was melted like wax within His breast with the pain. 

My strength is dried up like a potsherd – His unendurable weakness as His strength ebbs away and is dried up. 

My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth – His unremitting thirst as His tongue cleaves to His palate. 

You lay me in the dust of death – He is at death’s door as death now beckons and its dust settles upon Him. 

Dogs have surrounded me - Roman soldiers, gentiles often referred to by Jews as dogs, surrounded Him like a pack of vicious, snarling dogs.

A band of evil men have encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet – it was this company of evil-doers who had pierced His hands and His feet.

I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me - as they gazed upon His half-naked form, they could see His bones pressing out against His shrunken skin, giving them keen pleasure and satisfaction.

They divided my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing - the soldiers divided His garments among them and cast lots for His clothing.

Jesus Crucifixion had fulfilled the prophecy of Psalm 22:14-18 by the fact that they had put him on a cross, they pierced his hands and feet with nails, you could count all his ribs, by the guards they had divided his garments among them and cast lots for his clothing. Dogs had surrounded him and a band of evil men surrounded him.

The Psalm tells us that on the cross Jesus felt like poured out water, his bones out of joint from the treatment he had gotten, his heart was failing and beats seem to fade away. His strength was dried up and from thirst and by the lose of blood his tongue stuck to the roof of his mouth.   

Q1. (John 19:23-24; Psalm 22:14-18) In what ways did Jesus fulfill Psalm 22:14-18? 

His suffering, crucifixion and death were carried out as prophesied in Psalm 42:14-24

Terrible pain from scourging, crucifixion and humiliation.

The psalm describes Jesus’ human sufferings, rejection, extreme thirst, piercing, lots cast for his clothing, being surrounded by enemies.  The Psalms passage says that he felt abandoned.  I think he did have a last ‘human’ moment when he felt abandoned, as he said, again quoting Psalm 22: “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?”

Lesson 31 Question 1

Psalm 22 accurately predicts the crucifixion of Jesus. It describes profound suffering - profound weakness, a heart turned to wax, strength dried up, one's tongue sticking to the roof his mouth, evil men and dogs surrounding the suffering one, pierced hands and feet, and gloating onlookers devidiing his clothes. I can hardly imagine such suffering.

The psalm describes utmost humiliation suffered by Jesus.

• 4 weeks later...

Roman soldiers in charge of crucifixions customarily took for themselves the clothes of the condemned men. They divided Jesus’ clothing, throwing dice to determine who would get his seamless garment, the most valuable piece of clothing. This fulfilled the prophecy in Psalms 22:18.

When others despise us and heap scorn upon us, they treat us as less than human. After much degradation, we, like David, may begin to feel like worms. When we feel the sting of rejection, we must keep in mind the hope and victory that God promises us.

David would praise God among the people because his private deliverance deserved a public testimony. God may won-derfully deliver us in the quiet moments when we are hurting, and we must be prepared to offer public praise for his care.

I'm not sure if Jesus felt all the things in Psalm 22:14-18, but if he did it is just a horrible way to treat the sacrificial lamb that is saving the entire human population. I just can't imagine how he felt. The entire experience has been suggested in "The Passion of Christ," and in the series "The Bible" Still he remained in control to serve others, begging the pardon for those who nailed him to the cross, and guiding his mother to be with John, and saving a transformed soul on the cross next to him. This love and compassion for Father God's created humans is impossible to match or imagine. This is what  earned him the seat at the right hand of the Father, what the devil believed he should be allowed to do in Jesus' place for what ever warped reason the devil had...

When Jesus prayed in John 17 the first part, he was intending to glorify God and himself by continuing to be perfect and faultless for his entire life in a human body.

So I am not so sure what he as thinking, but for sure he felt a lot of physical pain. And for unworthy me, oh how God's grace is undeserved and can't be repaid, except with humble obedience, and even then this is not enough.

• 1 month later...

Jesus knew exactly what to expect in the excruciating death described in Psalm 22:14-18.  Prophecy was fulfilled as His life blood was pouring out through the wounds, the torn flesh, an the severed blood vessels of His body.  His bones were all out of joint, causing severe pain on its own.  All physical strength was spent.  His mouth was dry as dust from total dehydration.  With hands and feet nailed to a cross, He hung there before wild dogs that were probably licking up His blood, evil men that stood all around Him ridiculing His torment, and Jewish onlookers who stared and gloated over His death in celebration of their "win".  His garments were divided among the soldiers, with His most personal clothing being the ultimate prize determined by casting lots. 

His heart failed Him and melted away in His chest as the pain alone took His breath and He struggled to breathe.  He hung there fully exposed in the most shameful way for all to see.  He endured taunts and ridicule by those who rejected Him.

Jesus had learned this Scripture from childhood and knew all the details of exactly what would happen.  No wonder He pleaded with the Father in the Garden of Gethsemane for some other way to accomplish divine will.  Thank You, Jesus, for Your courage and obedience that rescued me from hell.

• 2 months later...

Jesus’s death on the cross fulfilled the psalm it in every way!  Crucifixion is the most horrific torture ever devised by man and the only way to adequately describe the pain of crucifixion is the word “excruciating”.  Ironically, it was after Jesus’ crucifixion that the word came into existence to describe the unbearable pain of being crucified.  The word comes from Latin excruciare, from cruciare, to crucify. It literally means “agonizingly painful”; extreme agony as a result of being crucified i.e. “a pain like the pain of crucifixion”.  As he hung on that cross, He would have been gasping and struggling in agony for every breath until the very end. 

As His earthly life drained from him, His precious blood would have been pouring from every wound inflicted upon him.  His shoulders would have most likely been dislocated from being stretched across and nailed to the patibulum.  His heart felt like wax, melting within.  As he hung on that cross, every single sin ever committed, past and future, was heaped upon him.  As result of the spiritual pain of having His Father forsake Him I can see how his heart would have been filled with absolute dread.  His mouth would have been parched and dry, his tongue sticking to the roof of his mouth.  (cf. John 19:28) Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, ‘I am thirsty.’”  The “dogs and villains” who encircled him were the Roman soldiers and the Jews who called in unison for his death.  He would have been crucified in humiliating fashion; naked with his “bones on display” for people to “stare and gloat” over him.  The Roman soldiers divided his clothing into four even shares and cast lots for his chiton.  Every single word of the psalm was fulfilled that day.

Jesus experienced total and complete humiliation as well as extreme physical and spiritual pain as he hung on that cross.  He willingly died that kind of "excruciating" death for our salvation and because He did, you and I will never have to.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

His death was an agonizing death because of the way of He died. Nails were pounded in His hands and feet. Jesus felt all the pain possible coming from the death on the cross. The only garment he wore the soldiers cast lots for it. 

• 1 year later...

1.    In what ways did Jesus fulfill Psalm 22:14-18? Jesus fulfills ALL stipulations of Psalm 22:14-18 because in this Psalm, He is speaking prophetically about Himself on the Cross.

2.    What does the Psalms passage tell us about how Jesus felt on the cross? The passage tells us about the feeling that people who have lost a lot of blood and water have; the feeling of dislocation from hanging on the nails; loss of physical strength; stress-induced faintness of heart; ‘excruciating’ thirst; feeling of impending death and conversion of the human body to dust; the High Priests, the Sanhedrin, the Pharisees and the Sadducees who misled the people by misjudging the Messiah; and the embarrassment of being “displayed” semi-nude on the cross.

• 1 year later...

Christ's blood was poured out like water, His body was limp and lifeless, completely surrendered on the Cross; and He was thirsty that He could hardly speak. Truly Christ was brought down to death and His body was lime that of Adam before God breathed into it.

Christ truly died an agonizing death.  There is nothing symbolic or spiritual to be conveyed as set forth by Muslims and Christian Scientists.  Christ died a literally death for all our sins and diseases.

• 8 months later...

In what ways did Jesus fulfill Psalm 22:14-18?  

poured out like water    extreme weakness and exhaustion  This was so after they had beaten Jesus, He was weak and exhausted.

bones out of joint           Being stretched out on the beams of the cross and then left to hang like that, the bones would come out of joint holding the weight of                                            the body in mid air

heart like wax                 Melted through overwhelming grief

strength is dried up        

dry tongue cleaves to my jaws         Jesus said that He was thirsty

in the dust of death

surrounded by a pack of dogs          the Romans were referred to as 'dogs' and these surrounded the area where the crucifixion took place

encircled by a gang of evildoers      two criminals were crucified at the same time one on either side of Jesus

hands and feet are pierced               Jesus was nailed to the cross. The nails pierced through His hands and feet

bones can be counted                       being stretched out like that the ribs were clearly visible and could be counted

clothing divided among them           this was the done thing. The clothing was divided among the officers

cast lots for the undergarment          the undergarment was not torn apart (it was woven as one piece) but lots were cast to see who would receive it

In verse 1, the words spoken on the cross are reflected.   My God, why have You forsaken Me

In verse 6 it makes reference to a worm, being powerless

In verse 6, it also makes reference to being the scorn of man and being despised  by the people

In verses 14-18 describes the weakness and aloneness that must have overwhelmed Him

Yet in it all He triumphed in OBEDIENCE because  He could have called to come down from the cross but He bore the pain, shame/humiliation and rejection,  because of His love for mankind.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU , THANK YOU