JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Feed My Sheep

• 1 month later...

Not directly responding to the question, but to the title - "Feed My Sheep".  Thank you so much for these studies, and thank you again for creating downloadable mp3 files!  I am able to feed on the Word as I am driving!  I have been listening to NIV and KJV mp3 files for my BSF studies this year on the way to/from work - an hour commute each way.  I find that I can listen over and over to both the Bible verses and your commentaries (it usually takes repetition, as I'm "distracted" from listening whole-heartedly because I must focus "somewhat" on the heavy commute traffic :^).  I just might be able to learn to look forward to my daily commute as I listen to the Word.  On days when I ride, rather than drive, I bring my Bible and read the entire way in and back -- I don't even notice heavy traffic on these days!

Thank you!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (John 21:15-17) Why does Jesus repeat the question and the assurance three times?

Peter denied Jesus three times after arrogantly claiming he would never deny Jesus (Mark 14:31 It is Interesting that it adds "And they all kept saying the same thing", although Peter is the only one who was tested in this)  In Mark 16:7 Jesus left instructions for the angel to tell the women to go and tell His disciples and Peter Which I believe restored Peter's soul! Now Peter sees the truth about his frailties and weakness, knows Jesus still loves him and is being commissioned in that love to feed Jesus' sheep.

I learn by repetition, think I've got it, then forget, and need to be reminded or to relearn a truth in a new way. I believe it was the same for Peter. Jesus knows "our frame. He earnestly remembers and imprints on His heart that we are dust." Ps 103:14 (That verse set me free to just "be" and to know that He is my teacher and will teach until I do understand.)  Maybe that's where the old saying "The third time is the charm" comes from.

What does this teach us about God repeating the lessons he wants us to learn?

It speaks to me of His unending patience, and that He is willing to work with us until we understand...that He wants to teach us more than we want to learn. "He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ (right up to the time of His return) developing that good work and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you." Phil 1:6 amp.

What does it say about God’s mercy and willingness to restore sinners to ministry?

He loves us more than we can imagine. He is all about restoration, beginning in Genesis when it would have been easier to just start over again, after Adam fell, but He chose to work with them and restore instead. He is the only One Who lived a sinless life, impossible for us, so knowing that we will fall and will fail at times, He's there in mercy and grace to do just as He did with Peter....allows us to see that on our own we are helpless, and yet through HIM we can accomplish whatever He has in mind for us to do. ("You have accomplished peace for us; all that we have accomplished, YOU HAVE DONE FOR US."Isaiah 26:12 amp)  Peter learned this well. I pray I will continue to remember this from my own failures.

Q3. (John 21:15-17) Why does Jesus repeat the question and the assurance three times?

A. Peter had earlier denied Jesus three times prior to the crucifixion, so Jesus recommissioned him three time.

Q. What does this teach us about God repeating the lessons he wants us to learn?

A. Repeating His message to us emphasises the importance of the message and the need to take it serious.

Q. What does it say about God's mercy and willingness to restore sinners to ministry?

A, God is a merciful God who is always ready to forgive us and restore us but wants to be willing to repent and turn to Him in full obedience in service.

Q3. (John 21:15-17) 

Why does Jesus repeat the question and the assurance three times? 

What does this teach us about God repeating the lessons He wants us to learn? 

What does it say about God's mercy and willingness to restore sinners to ministry?

Jesus repeats the question three times because He is asking, does Peter love Him deeply and personally, that he will faithfully obey Him in the mission which he is being given. I don’t think it’s about an ascending or descending scale of love. Peter had publicly denied the Lord three times, and had disappointed Jesus on several occasions, so it was important that he repents and is restored to fellowship with the Lord. Peter will only be fully committed when he loves Christ more than anything else. That is why Jesus asks Peter "Do you love Me more than these?" This is the most important question, that’s why He asks Peter this question three times. Does Peter love Jesus unselfishly and unconditionally more than he cares for fishing with all of its trappings, or anything else? Peter's immediate response is affirmative, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You". But words are not enough, for there is a mission. Converts are to be cared for. The lambs are to be fed. After asking the question for the third time Peter finally responds, "Lord, You know all things". Jesus knows Peter's heart, whether his act of repentance has truly brought him back in undying love. Jesus had to deal with Peter personally. It was a time of healing and restoration. Not only was Peter welcomed back but he was also commissioned to care for His sheep. The mission was not only to evangelize, to catch fish, but to disciple, to feed the sheep. 

(John 21:15-17) Why does Jesus repeat the question and the assurance three times? What does this teach us about God repeating the lessons he wants us to learn? What does it say about God’s mercy and willingness to restore sinners to ministry?

• Jesus repeats the question and the assurance three because Peter had denied Jesus three times. Now Jesus renews his "call to preach" three times.
  • God repeating the lessons that he wants us to learn is a way to assure that we understand and remember what he is teaching us. 
  • God's mercy and willingness to restore sinners to ministry is showing the love he has for us.

Q3. (John 21:15-17) Why does Jesus repeat the question and the assurance three times? What does this teach us about God repeating the lessons he wants us to learn? What does it say about God's mercy and willingness to restore sinners to ministry?
http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/1552-q3-feed-my-sheep/

Jesus appears repeat the question to emphasise the point to Peter. Peter has said that he loved Jesus before, but when pressure was put on him, he denied Christ three times (John 18). Sometimes we can say something and not really mean it. It is easy to talk (Proverbs 29:20). I know that I can make a promise without thinking through the time and commitment involved to carry it out. God is patient with us (Exodus 34:6) just as he was with Peter. God teaches me over and over, and some things I still have not learnt or put into practice.

Q3. (John 21:15-17) Why does Jesus repeat the question and the assurance three times? What does this teach us about God repeating the lessons he wants us to learn? What does it say about God's mercy and willingness to restore sinners to ministry?

Peter denied the Lord three times around a fire and it was around another fire that he was asked three times if he loves Jesus.  If he was to be recommissioned his love for Jesus needed to be affirmed for without love  for Jesus he would not do the task ahead.

We learn through repetition.  Lessons are etched into our minds so we won't forget or take lightly.

God is merciful.  It's part of who He is.  If not I would not be here.  He is willing to restore sinners to ministry.  If He were not I would not be here.  He is so unlike the kings of the world.  He is so much that they are not.  He knows and cares about each of us.  There are no words to tell of His love, mercy, forgiveness, grace however He extends it all to us on a daily basis.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q3. (John 21:15-17) Why does Jesus repeat the question and the assurance three times? What does this teach us about God repeating the lessons he wants us to learn? What does it say about God’s mercy and willingness to restore sinners to ministry?

Jesus repeats his question to Peter three times, "feed my lambs", "care for the sheep" and "feed my sheep". Peter had denied knowing Jesus three times, in the court of the Sanhedrin, now Jesus ask if Peter loves him three times.This is most likely to see if Peter has repented, humbled himself and ready to shepard the believers.

Jesus of course ask Peter these questions three times, perhaps he wants Peter to learn a lesson. Peter's intentions to go to prison or die for Jesus as he stated in the upper room, failed to do as he said when it came to the actual event of the arrest and trail. The Lord has asked Peter these three questions to let him know that he has forgiven Peter and by this Peter has a deeper love for the Lord.

When we sin or fail the Lord in our ministry, the Lord wants us top know that when we learn our lesson from failing in our faith or falling into temptation, if we repent and ask the Lord for forgiveness, he is willing to do so through his mercy. Knowing that we had failed and repented, the Lord is willing to forgive us and send us back to our ministry.               

(John 21:15-17) Why does Jesus repeat the question and the assurance three times? What does this teach us about God repeating the lessons he wants us to learn? What does it say about God’s mercy and willingness to restore sinners to ministry? 

Peter had denied Jesus three times. Now Jesus renews his "call to preach" three times " - Feed my

sheep." Jesus assures Peter that he has been restored to the ministry of caring for God's flock. God will repeat the lessons He wants us to learn until we repent of our sins and learn from the lessons. This is all about God's merciful and compassionate heart. It also shows His willingness to restore sinners to ministry.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus repeats the question and command three times.  This mirrors Peter’s threefold denial of Christ.  It is a form of absolution (as in a penance after confession). I think this teaches us that we should be highly aware of our sins and try to compensate for them by an amended life.  I don’t see that it is particularly about repeating lessons.  God is very merciful and is always overjoyed to welcome repentant sinners back into the fold.

• 3 weeks later...

In this beach scene, Jesus led Peter through an experience that would remove the cloud of his denial. Peter had denied Jesus three times. Three times Jesus asked Peter if he loved him. When Peter answered yes, Jesus told him to feed his sheep. It is one thing to say you love Jesus, but the real test is willingness to serve him. Peter had repented, and here Jesus was asking him to commit his life. Peter’s life changed when he finally realized who Jesus was. His occupation changed from fisherman to evangelist; his identity changed from impetuous to “rock”; and his relationship to Jesus changed—he was forgiven, and he finally understood the significance of Jesus’ words about his death and resurrection.

When people wander or gradually drift away from God, they often begin to feel that God is distant. God seems far away - and hard to reach. But the opposite is actually true: God is very near. In fact, He is standing at the door. He is there for the sinners and He wants them to repent

Jesus is saying, "Look at me! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and dine with him, and he with me

• 4 months later...

Jesus repeated his question three times; one for each time Peter denied Him.  It seems that when the Lord wants to make a point He tends to repeat the message in different ways and at diverse times.  He speaks to us through the testimonials and prophesies of the Old Testament and He brought those ancient prophecies to fruition with the miraculous birth of Christ Jesus!   During His own ministry, Jesus repeated those same OT testimonials and prophecies through parables to engage his audience.  Jesus carried it one step farther though because He usually backed up His words with miracles to emphasize the kingdom that was being offered.  After He’d ascended to join His Father, His disciples continued to reiterate the very same message and His message is still being taught in the very same way today.  I guess the Good Lord looks upon repetition as a valuable learning tool.

So, what does this say about His mercy and willingness to restore sinners to ministry?  Paul, in his letter to the Romans (5:10) answered this question better than I could ever hope to answer it so… “For if, while we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!”

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus gave Peter the opportunity to receive grace and be restored to ministry for each of the three instances when Peter had failed so miserably as he denied Christ before the world. With each repetition of His question and His response to Peter's answer, Jesus gave full assurance that Peter's ministry would be important and valuable to the Kingdom of God.

Many of us have heard some version of the saying that “No one ever fails in God's classroom; He just keeps repeating the lesson until we master it”. Perhaps that is what Jesus modeled for us here as He challenged Peter those 3 times to really evaluate the question and its lesson. Evidently, Peter wasn't fully grasping the concept that loving Jesus demands ministry to His sheep. His embarrassment and shame at so readily denying His Lord had probably shaken his sense of any value to the work of God. His guilt probably hung heavy and dark over his heart. But Jesus gently and persistently repeated this lesson of grace and worth until Peter understood that his failure was not greater than God's mercy - and there was still great purpose for him in ministry.

I know that feeling of the shame and am so very grateful that God is never done with His children, even when we have utterly failed. I've long appreciated the words of Philippians 1:6: I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.  While this ultimately refers to the day when His perfection will be fully manifested in us, I think this principle of His work in our lives can apply here. Like any great teacher, He is not going to quit on me or give up on my education, even when I keep failing the test. Now I try to quickly ask the Lord to help me learn the lesson when faced with tough courses in His classroom, so I won't miss the point and He won't have to teach it over and over again.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Q3. (John 21:15-17) Why does Jesus repeat the question and the assurance three times? What does this teach us about God repeating the lessons he wants us to learn? What does it say about God’s mercy and willingness to restore sinners to ministry?

I believe the reason He did it is because Peter denied knowing Him 3 times and so He wanted to know for sure that Peter loved Him for sure. It shows us that God has patience enough to teach them to us. He has more than enough to restore us when we sin.

• 5 months later...

I think Jesus was asking Peter this question 3 times to symbolize Peter denying Him 3 times.  He is showing Peter that as many times as it takes to forgive, we are to forgive. Jesus is demonstrating to Peter that although he denied him 3 times, he is still worthy of Jesus's love and trust to do His will and to teach others.  Jesus is showing Peter that he is still in the favor of God and that he is still accountable to do what he has been chosen to do.  Jesus is teaching Peter that there isn't anything  that he can do that will separate him from the love of the Father, as long as he continues to abide in the teachings of Jesus and his word.  Peter is still loved and a trusted friend and disciple.  When we sin, God forgives us when we ask for forgiveness and turn from sin,,,,, His mercy and grace is so great... His love for us is so great.....He wants us to show the same compassion to each other.

• 2 years later...

Christ knew that Peter was at level zero in his life.   Here in the old familiar place, Jesus addresses him by his original name.  Jesus is bringing back memories of the early days of ministry; evoking within Peter's memories when he first met Jesus.  After having breakfast and viewing the scared hands of Jesus Christ; Christ is beckoned him back to the ministry.   Peter denied Christ three times; that alone must have caused deep sorrow in Peter's heart.  The memories of his betrayal must have haunted him greatly.  This three-fold affirmation of his deep love was healing balm for Peter.  Words of Confessing his love was akin to a new Baptism.   Christ didn't chide Peter, the healing balm of Gilead soothed Peter's conscience.

Mercy triumphs over judgment.   David showed mercy to his enemies.   David knew about the mercy of God during some very troublesome periods of his life.  Exodus 34 describes the everlasting mercies of Yahweh.   The Prophet Ezekiel witnessed the gradual and heart rendering removal of the Shekinah from the Ark of the Covenant to Mt Olives.   The Shekinah just did not disappeared; reluctantly with sorrow, it went to Mt Olives accompanied with 4 angelic beings.

By all means mercy is needed in the rehabilitation of errant clergy and laity.  However, these individuals must realize the gravity of theirs sins and avoid the occasions of sins.  What a terrible time we live in now when supposedly repentant people make confession of sins but go right back to the slime pits.  We must abide by the Holy Bible rules--- in the rehabilitation of backsliders.   Absolute monitoring of such people must be done;  so many trifle with the holiness of God.

• 8 months later...

Q3. (John 21:15-17)

Why does Jesus repeat the question and the assurance three times?

What does this teach us about God repeating the lessons he wants us to learn?

What does it say about God's mercy and willingness to restore sinners to ministry?

Peter had denied knowing Jesus 3 times, now Jesus was repeating the question 3 times, in this way, fully restoring Peter. Also not only does He give Peter the chance to acknowledge his love for him, but He includes instructions as to what he must do. So Peter is restored and given work to do.  

When we have failed with a lesson given, God in His mercy gives us a chance again to do what he had intended for us to learn.  

He restored Peter to ministry and this total willingness to do so and that it is recorded, shows that He is still in the restoration business.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR MERCY!!!!