JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Glory in Death

• 2 months later...

Q4. (John 21:18-19) What does death have to do with glorifying God?

When we die in Christ, hopefully we have lived a life that glorifies Him and that in death we are leaving a legacy that will live on in the lives of others whom we've impacted with His love flowing through us. For some it may mean simply "standing" for Christ at the end and not denying Him when pressured to do so.  I've read that Peter felt unworthy to die in the same way that Jesus was crucified, so asked them to crucify him upside down. Peter's death glorified Jesus in that he died for his faith and the spread of the gospel, faithful to the end, knowing all the while that he would be crucified one day.

How will your life and death bring glory or credit to God?

I have no idea, but my desire for the past 42 years has been to live by faith, and to be faithful to my Lord, loving people...saved and unsaved. I've said "Yes" when He's asked me. My prayer is that after I'm gone, my children will continue on in the faith they've embraced since they were little when they received Jesus as their Lord and Savior, and that my life has counted for His sake. I trust that I'm in process of fulfilling my destiny each day, and in doing so there will be a legacy to live on.

What does this passage teach us about God’s foreknowledge?

It validates ALL of scripture...that He knew everything before the foundation of the world was formed. He knows every thought before we think it, every word before we speak it, every action before we take it....and all the while has been working with us and in us, loving us to bring us to completion. No matter how He chooses to take us home, He's with us to usher us into our eternal home.

Q4. (John 21:18-19) 

What does death have to do with glorifying God? 

What does this passage teach us about God's foreknowledge?

Ideally, the purpose of our life is to worship and serve the Lord Jesus with all our heart, and with all our soul, and with all our mind. If we can achieve this and manage to have the Saviour live out our lives through Him, then I feel our lives would not have been wasted and it will glorify God. We can only do this if we love Jesus more than anything else! Without the help and support of the Holy Spirit this would be impossible. Thus our goal would have been achieved, and God will be glorified whether by our life or death. However, we are but sinners saved by grace. The Lord Jesus knows I love Him more than anything else and He also knows in my limited capacity I’m trying to live a life that will bring glory to Him and our Heavenly Father, and that my life was not wasted and will have meaning. 

Q4. (John 21:18-19) What does death have to do with glorifying God?  

Death can glorify God if one lives a godly lif that is a testimony to others and particulary the family and peiople at a the funeral service. Further more, death can bring glory to God if the individual lives a life that accomplish the purposes for which God made him for. Such purposes are summarised by Rick Warren in his book  " The Purpose Driven Life" are:

i) Worshp God. Worship here is define as anything one does that pleases God not only singing worship songs but every activitity in the church, at home, on the street, at work everywhere. Rom 12:1

ii) Be a memmber of Christ new family be accepting Jesus as saviour and Lord.

iii) Grow and become like Christ throgh the Word, Holily Spirit etc. 

iv) Service- using the spiritual gift of the Holy Spirit to serve one another

v) Carry out the Great Commission

My lfie will bring glory/ credit to God if I accomplish the purposes for wchich God ceated me to do as above. 

The fulfilment Jesus prophesy about the type death Peter would die- cricifixion demostarted that that God knows everything- past, present and future.

This can also be found in Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. 

(Jeremiah 1:5 KJV)

Q4. (John 21:18-19) What does death have to do with glorifying God? How will your life and death bring glory or credit to God? What does this passage teach us about God’s foreknowledge?

Death brings glory to God when a person has served God for some proportion of their life- to the end (Phillipians 1:21). When a person dies without having served Christ, death is sad and empty (Psalm 1:6). God is at work in a life dedicated to Him (Phillipiains 2:13). A person without God, rejects God and all he has done for them (1 Thessalonians 4:8).

Paul said that he was torn between living a fruitful life for Christ or dying, and being with Christ (Philipians 1:22). God knows the plans He has for me (Jeremiah 21:11). Jesus is the author of life (Acts 3:15) and knows the path my life will take (Psalm 16:11).

(John 21:18-19) What does death have to do with glorifying God? How will your life and death bring glory or credit to God? What does this passage teach us about God’s foreknowledge?  

• Death glorifies God if you lived a life serving him and being obedient to his word.  My life and death will bring glory or credit to God if people will remember me as one who loved the Lord and served him unselfishly.  God knows all about us. 

Q4. (John 21:18-19) What does death have to do with glorifying God? How will your life and death bring glory or credit to God? What does this passage teach us about God’s foreknowledge?

During the time of Jesus, followers who were put to death for believing in Jesus were indeed giving glory to God. In the present day and times some third world countries have terrorist groups that hunt down and put Christians to death for not converting to their belief and faith or just put to death for being a Christian period. By dying this way the followers are giving glory to the Lord because they have refused to convert to a belief that is false.

Not knowing how my last will end, I can only hope that others know how much I loved the Lord. perhaps some had come to know Christ because of my life example.

The verse in John 21:19 describes Jesus telling Peter as to what sort of death he would have, indicating that Jesus had a foreknowledge of things that were to come in the future. Only God knows the future, demonstrating Jesus was the Son of God.         

Q4. (John 21:18-19) What does death have to do with glorifying God? How will your life and death bring glory or credit to God? What does this passage teach us about God's foreknowledge?

There is appointed unto all a time and way of death.  How we go about it can bring glory to God.  Giving your life for Christ glorifies God, being patient in affliction, hopeful and prayerful (Romans 12:12), being grateful to God for how He has saved you, looking forward to being with Jesus, encouraging others, being faithful even unto death, forgiving those who have wronged you, the list goes on.  I think of the fruit of the Spirit, we live that way and we die that way.

I pray that there will be souls for Him and that His name is glorified because I lived.

God knows our way and He will prepare us for what is to come.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

(John 21:18-19) What does death have to do with glorifying God? How will your life and death bring glory or credit to God? What does this passage teach us about God’s foreknowledge? 

I suppose we can say our death glorifies God, if, like Timothy, we can say "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith". (2 Timothy 4:7). God is omniscient, He knows all things. Hallelujah!

• 2 weeks later...

It is important to die realising that death is a gateway to life everlasting.  We should all die praising God and looking forward without fear.  To me, this is glorifying God.  This is my ideal and I hope I live up to it, both in my day-to-day life and in my death.  I was always taught to live each day as if it is my last, for a similar reason.  God will always have foreknowledge because he created time, and lives outside it.  He can see our past, present and future all at once.  This passage reflects that.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (John 21:18-19) What does death have to do with glorifying God? How will your life and death bring glory or credit to God? What does this passage teach us about God's foreknowledge?

This was a prediction of Peter’s death by crucifixion. Tradition indicates that Peter was crucified for his faith—upside down because he did not feel worthy of dying as his Lord did. Despite what Peter’s future held, Jesus told him to follow him. We may be uncertain and fearful about our future. But if we know God is in control, we can confidently follow Christ.

• 4 months later...

Glorifying God in death is simply showing the world exactly how great God really is by the way we live and in the way we approach death.  In Philippians 1:21, Paul wrote, "To live is Christ and to die is gain."  Glorifying God in death is to have lived your life in His service and if you have, you’ll feel joy rather than remorse about the loss of your earthly life.  Fear and remorse will fade as you come closer and closer to seeing and being with Christ Jesus in Heaven and you’ll rejoice when he says to you, “Well done good and faithful servant.”  I can only pray that my life does indeed glorify my God and that in death my life, my service and my faith are a positive reflection on Him.

John (1:1-4) summed up God’s foreknowledge quite well when he wrote, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was in the beginning with God.  All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.  In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.”

• 4 weeks later...

Glorifying God in death means that we are faithful to Christ to the very end, confessing our Savior with praise and thanksgiving on our dying lips. May my life be that kind of testimony that only God can take credit for. May my passing leave a legacy of faith, love, and obedient service that speaks of the goodness and power of God long after I've gone on to be with Him.

Jesus' prophetic words to Peter certainly displayed the omniscience of God, as they revealed how Peter would die. God exists outside of the parameters of time, which He created for man's existence. The great Alpha and Omega knows what will happen and how, as He views all of the time line of human history from start to finish. I imagine that revelation to Peter kept him humble and dependent on the Spirit for the rest of his days as he stood firm in Truth and ministered to those who belonged to Jesus.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Glorifying the Lord in death means you are faithful to Him until your death and you don't waiver. I hope my life will bring people to God and my death will do the same.  The passage says that God knows everything before we do. 

• 2 years later...

Peter's martyrdom would give testimony to his faith in Jesus Chrst.  According to Psalm 116 :15, God doesn't lightly esteem the death of martyrs.   Two times-Peter is told "Follow me" (vs. 19,22).  Peter and many others gave testimony of their faith in Christ during severe persecutions from the time of Nero to the reign of Constantine.

My life and death will bring glory to God.  Living for Christ has been my major con ern.   By the grace of God, I have been walking in holiness all the day long.  Also I am making my election sure as I spend time in prayer and Bible study.   Also making reviews of my life and repenting for any sins deliberate, and undeliberate sins. Also evangelism has been a very high priority; he that winnneth souls is wise.  

God knew before the foundation of the world about all the details of Peter's life. 2Peter1:14 states that he would put off

his tabernacle as Christ revealed to him.   Cbrist the Word of God-the eternal Logos-elected and had foreknowledge of Peter.  Peter accepted Christ's call and conformed to the image of Christ.  

• 8 months later...

Q4. (John 21:18-19)

What does death have to do with glorifying God?

I understand this to be that we remain standing to the end. Completing the race without giving up, but right through faithfully serve Him. In this way His Name will be glorified.  

If I do not waver but faithfully serve Him , my life too will bring glory to God while living as well as in death.  Others will see Christ living in me.  

Christ knew and explained to Peter in which way he would die. This was yrs before it happened.