JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Culture Change

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time? 

Yes when we went to a predominantly Buddhist country where I was worked. There was a lot of anxiousness and apprehension of our part as we did not know what to expect. With prayers for grace, discernment and wisdom, we were able to settle down and make friends with the locals while at the same time we were able to keep our Christian faith. It is important to respect another person's culture and faith and extremely critical that we do not "shove" Christianity down an unbeliever's throat. 

I have not made a rapid cultural change personally.  However I feel in our world today we often are in a culture that does not support our values, or follow God.  I think this study will be especially valuable for me for that reason.

I have not made a physical transition between culture to culture per say, however, once I dedicated my life back to Christ, most things around me became strange. God has given me a set of new eyes, a new heart and a new mind so those around me feel I am strange. It's hard some times I have to admit, however I must continue to push forward in the name of Jesus. 

1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

Yes. I was at Silsoe Bedford, Beds UK for some academics from 1982- 1984. I experienced some differences in culture and significantly so in the area of commitment to church and worship. I noticed that only the elderly attended the church that was near the college. This was not so in Nigeria where a church congregation consisted of the whole range- from children to the elderly. I eventually found a Baptist church with similar kind of congregation I was used to in Nigeria thus taking my faith along.

Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture?

Yes, when we moved away from a state which was controlled and almost entirely populated by a cult, oppressive to non members. There was a subtle persecution in that the majority ruled and their attitude was "toleration" for outsiders.

What did it feel like?

It was weird...I kept telling people around me that "I feel so free!"....but couldn't explain why at first. Then I realized that our new state was not controlled by any one group, and I suddenly "fit in".

Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

I was brought up in an ecclesiastical church, and brought that with me for several years. But the new freedom from oppression caused me to start asking questions. The Lord brought a Christian friend to me, who invited me to a Bible Study, and where I quickly understood that true freedom is only found in a personal relationship with Jesus...and I received Him as my Lord and Savior. For the first time I began to experience His freedom and the joy of sharing Him with others.

"Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?"

I once spent a week in China for work. It was very hard because I felt this heaviness, this deadening. It's kind of hard to explain. It was like I couldn't sense God and His presence - but I know He's there. I was afraid to share my faith at all, fearing I could get in trouble. God bless the Christians and missionaries there! It must be very difficult due to oppression of religious freedom.

​Funny thing, we visited an almost 1,000 year old Buddhist temple. It was there that I felt more in touch with the Holy Spirit. But we live in a radically different culture here in the US today, don't we? Compared to how we are taught to live by Christ. Every day is a challenge to keep my faith alive and not fall into the trappings of the world. I wish I could say I'm always successful, but I'm not! ~

Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture?

Yes! When I was in the Air Force, I was sent to South Korea where a majority of the people worship Buddhism.

What did it feel like?

It definitely felt a lot different than my Christian faith

Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

Yes, I was able to take my faith with me as long as I did not interfere with their faith.

?1. I have not made any rapid transition in my life. I've lived were I am now all my life..

?2. N/A

?3. Using my imagination on this question, taking your faith with you or it fading. I believe ones faith is in ones heart. So no matter where you go your faith is with you. It doesn't matter were you are, you can always pray to God no matter were you are :)

Yes. I went from South Africa to Zambia, mostly from a reformed back ground to a Pentecost country. I learned a far more interesting way to serve God, yet kept the fear of the Lord from the reformed background.

From Zambia I went to Congo, a serve yourself and corrupt nation in every level.

I realised I am completely in an unacceptable situation and went back to Zambia after 2 months

I left the culture of white South Africa in the 1970s where I was not brought up in a Christian home. The culture was pleasure seeking, much wine drinking, emotional fighting, and broken marriages. I came to England to nurse and in opposition to what Daniel experienced, I came into a Christian culture where I experienced kindness and grace. Here I made the best surrender in my life ....to Jesus. For me I also had a lot to learn but held onto my South Africaness.

Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture?

Yes, a couple of times. My first, on a 3 week mission trip to a Spanish-speaking country. My second, attending fiestas at the home of our Spanish-speaking neighbors.

What did it feel like?

A little awkward at first as I didn't speak the language very well, and didn't know any of the people. But gradually became more comfortable.

It definitely went with me. On the the mission trip we were able to share the love of God at an orphanage. With my neighbors, I built a bond that has lasted 10 years...and I am now considered part of their family.

Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? Yes, when I went from a single room 23 student K-8 church school to public high school. 

What did it feel like?  Getting lost!  Although my high school was small (graduating class of 112), it was radically different from what I was used to (we had moved from the Northern Indiana to Central Texas only 3 years before, another culture shock). 

Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?  While I took my faith, I'm not sure that I demonstrated my faith... recently I asked as classmate from that time "where you a closet Christian, too?".  I did not keep company with people who shared my faith and values and instead ran wild. 

I have not had to make a quick transition between cultures but have had to spend time with people who did not have the same culture or beliefs as myself.  My father was a missionary so we mixed with different cultures to bring the Word of God to people.  You have to be very careful what you say and do, to show love and not offend people. It made my faith much stronger and I thank God for giving me the strength to keep my faith.  I have found it harder to be strong with other Christian folk.

My husband and I moved back to the land, so to speak. For me it was a radical change producing everything we ate and even building our house ourselves. The people were very different,the churches were different. It was lonely at times, during this time even though spiritually the church was dry I became closer to God because I had to lean on Him more than ever. I look back at that time now and realize the beauty of that experience.

Yes I moved from what I considered and still consider a Godly community to a country where the basic foundations of Christianity have been "bastardized" to fit into the modern way of living.  I found finding a church built on sound doctrine and the fundamentals and tenets of which I knew difficult and found myself not fellow shipping in a way that I wanted to.  We serve an awesome God as I let go of His hand often, He never let go of mine.

Yes, I moved from a Christian school and then Christian college to the University where Christians were in a distinct minority. I was fortunate to find a group of Christians and a small campus Chapel where Christian could encourage each other.  I was forced as never before to stand up and sometimes defend my faith. I agree with the others that one has to be quick to listen and slow to argue and to be quick to love.

I wanted to add to my earlier answer by saying that unfortunately is is often is our present situation that we have to be careful.  I am working in a school were we are Christian based but have to reach out to people and children that often come from homes were Jesus is not the main focus.  So it makes me think that I need to be strong.

Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

We moved often to other cultures.  Most times to me it felt like the rug had been pulled out from underneath me.  When we first started these assignments I was not a believer and I in some ways fit in more with the westerners we found than when I became a believer.  Once I became a believer my whole life changed, my way of thinking, what I wanted to do, how I acted and behave, my likes and dislikes.  Sometimes I found Christian  fellowship and other times not however my faith has forever more been the moving force of my life.

Thank you Jesus for finding me and lifting me out of the miry clay and giving me life.  Before I was dead and now I am alive wherever I am.  

God bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Yes, as I entered the workplace during racial and gender integration.  Faith was not an issue, only differences.  It felt like I was defending my right to exist and discussing the obvious.  While faith was not discussed; it was heavily leaned on for my personal sanity.

I've made several changes in my life but the one that stands out most is when I joined the Air Force.  It started out well.  My testimony was given and known.  Then, I made friends with smokers, drinkers etc and, I must admit that Ifollowed theit example rather than the Lord's.  That has changed now as I actively seek to serve Hin.

Yes, in 2009 I went to Dearborn, Michigan for the annual Arab American Festival as a missionary and worker in the setup of the event.  That part of the United States is very much like going to a middle eastern country.  Even the supermarket there was unlike anything I'd seen here.  While it was only for a few days, and we stayed in a hotel that was normal US fare, it was shocking at times.  Our goal was to take our faith with us, and to share it!

Seeing many of the inconsistencies amongst the participants in the festival, and the PLO people in their hateful action, was very telling.  Also seeing "Americanized" Muslims kowtow to the PLO there, in Dearborn, Michigan, was shocking.  Seeing Muslim teens with hijabs on while wearing Brittney Spears t-shirts shed light on many things.

It is a very different feeling, though nothing like Daniel and his young friends being in Babylon.

I have never made a rapid transition between my culture and a different one. But, I do feel we should take our faith with us. Even though, there are many countries punishing and killing people for having faith in Jesus Christ. Daniel is going to be interesting.