JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Hard Sayings

• 1 month later...

Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar’s dream? Why? Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? What can we do about it?      

Yes, Daniel is afraid to interpret the dream.  Those who bring bad news to a monarch are usually killed.  We are afraid to say the hard things to our brothers and sisters because we feel we may loose their friendship or they made attack us etc.  We should not let those things hinder us because in the end it will all work for the good.      

Q1. (Daniel 4:10-20) Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar's dream? Why?

I do not believe Daniel was afraid to interpret the dream because he was afraid of what might happen to him; Daniel’s fear was for the king, it is upsetting and most difficult being the bearer of bad news.

Q2. Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters?

When the Spirit directs one to speak truth to those are “ASKING” for help, I would find it very difficult to understand why a person would be afraid to offer the same hope that lives within them, the God we serve is all powerful and is able to help those  seeking for help, truth is not always an easy word to speak, but truth is what will set a person free.

(Daniel 4:10-20) Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar’s dream? Why? Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? What can we do about it?

There are two possible reasons why Daniel was actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar’s dream:

1. Those who bring bad news to an absolute monarch often suffer "kill the messenger" consequences.

2. Daniel may have become fond of the king.

3. He may have been concerned with what will happen to the kingdom and to his own fortunes when the king is incapacitated.

Given Daniel's close walk with God and his great faith in Yahweh, it is quite unlikely that Daniel would have been concerned about his own fortunes, although this is listed as a possible reason.

Often we are afraid to say the hard things to help our brothers and sisters because most of the time it is received in the wrong manner and we are thought to have an agenda or "holy than thou" attitude. However, hard as it may be, sometimes we just have to pass on the word regardless of the consequences. 

Q1. (Daniel 4:10-20) Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar's dream? YES HE IS

Why?  FEAR & AFFECTION:  Those who bring bad news to an absolute monarch often suffer "kill-the-messenger" consequences. Daniel is also concerned because he may have become fond of the king, and wonders what will happen to the kingdom -- and to his own fortunes -- when the king is incapacitated.

Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? COMPASSION and sometimes doubt.  If the information is harsh, we question our own interpretation for fear or delivering the wrong bad news.

What can we do about it? STAY IN PRAYER, TRUST GOD, & TRUST WHY we are in the presence of the recipient.

Q1. (Daniel 4:10-20) Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar’s dream?

Even though Daniel had lived a long and fruitful life, one that had been with trial and turmoil, with success and reward he knew that speaking the meaning of the dream was going to be difficult.  First, even if it was "king worship" the kingdom seemed to be prosperous and well under the kings rule.  The king had recognized those who served in his ranks who were out for self gain and recognition, he was not blind to the events happening around him.  Secondly, what he would have to tell the king was a hard thing because the king was to be toppled, stripped of his authority, and become as an animal in the field.  How do you sugar coat that?

Why? Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? What can we do about it?

Saying the "hard things" are never easy even if you don't like the person you are directing your comments to.  However, if you have to point out issues to your brother and sisters you never really know how they will take them.  Will they rise up against you?  Will they take offense against you?  Will they feel you are trying to take advantage of them?  When faced with a situation like this it must be handled carefully, prayerfully and with Godly counsel.

Q1. (Daniel 4:10-20) is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar's dream? Why?

Yes, he was greatly perplexed, and terrified. Probably because of the kings volatile nature and knee jerk reactions. It may have meant another death threat or severe consequence for Daniel. I think the king was unstable before the mental illness which followed and Daniel was aware. I can't think of anything more difficult to tell someone such as Daniel was led to do and It may have meant an end to Daniel's position and status in the kingdom.

Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brother's and sister's?

Our society has become so politically correct that almost nothing is safe to say without offense being taken. Narcissism is on the rise, and any slight negative comment becomes a huge issue. We're afraid of retaliation (I don't do social media, but I've heard that is a format for retaliating against others) We're afraid in close relationships of hurting feelings and therefore the relationship. We all want to be liked and approved of.

What can we do about it?

We can "get over ourselves" and put on our big girl panties or big boy jockeys and speak the truth in love if we believe the Lord is nudging us to do so. I've learned that much prayer is the answer, and if the answer is Yes, then I pray for courage to speak IN LOVE, and for the hearer to be able to receive the words as they are meant. (and for me to receive hard things in the same way if spoken to me!)

Q1. (Daniel 4:10-20) Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar’s dream? Why? Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? What can we do about it?         

Once Daniel hears the dream and God reveals to him its meaning, he is concerned with what to do. He is "greatly perplexed"and "terrified."Those who bring bad news to an absolute monarch often suffer "kill-the-messenger" consequences. Daniel is also concerned because he may have become fond of the king, and wonders what will happen to the kingdom -- and to his own fortunes -- when the king is incapacitated .

We are afraid of telling hard things to help others because we live in a society where sin is acceptable and everyone does it.  So we fear going against the current and there are not many people who will support the truth of the Gospel.  Morever we also fear that we may offend the brother / sister and the cost of saying the hard thing may be a broken relationship, mockery or even persecution.

Yet, as Christians it is our duty and moral responsibility to tell the truth in love and it is going to be hard on the one who is in darkness.  We trust in God that at the end the victory is His and we continue to stand on the truth not taking offence by the reactions of anybody to whom we have tried help telling the truth.  Also we continue to pray for our brothers and bless them.

Q1. (Daniel 4:10-20) Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar’s dream? Why? Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? What can we do about it?

I tend to agree with the "advanced member" that Daniel is probably not afraid of what would happen to him-he has shown this in the past, but more afraid of how Nebuchadnezzar would personally react to the interpretation of the dream.

I have appreciated in the past people telling me hard things, perhaps not taken with the best of attitudes at the time. I guess it depends on how the person says it to you. Sometimes I find it hard to decide whether to say something to someone or not. I ask myself questions like: Do I know the person well enough to say something? Has it been said to them before? How do I best tell them? What is my attitude and motive for telling them? So, often I do not say anything.

I don't believe Daniel was afraid to tell Nebuchadnezzar the dream, rather reluctant to because of the harshness of the meaning.  He had served the king long enough and been promoted many times that he was probably well treated and who would want to be the bearer of this kind of news.  I believe Daniel was rather stunned or in shock when he knew the interpretation.  Daniel was not afraid, however he seemed to have a humble and sensitive spirit which would be grieved over this.  He was without words until the king enticed him to tell him the meaning and not fear.  The king knew from Daniel's countenance that it was not good news for him.

We must always pray!  May everything we do be done in a loving spirit.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

It seems as tho he was afraid.  He would rather have given an ultimatum from God, rather than something that would demean the king.  We're so concerned about being liked by the other person.  Love for the other person helps us to do the right thing--to be honest with them, saying what needs to be said to perhaps turn them around.

Q1. (Daniel 4:10-20) Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar's dream?

I would say it was not fear but for Daniel it was more of reluctance, as he was perplexed for a while for he had to convey bad news. So, noting that Nebuchadnezzar was sort of ready to accept, even if it was bad news – remember, ““Belteshazzar, do not let the dream or its meaning alarm you,”(Dan 4:19) he began his interpretation on a restrained note saying, “My lord, if only the dream applied to your enemies and its meaning to your adversaries!” (Dan 4:19) But the truth had to be said, “Your Majesty, you are that tree!” (Dan4:22), similar to what Prophet Nathan said to King David: “You are the man!” (2Sam 12:7).

Why? Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters?

Normally, we feel reserved and sorry when conveying bad news to family or friends whom we care for. Fear probably comes in when the person to whom forlorn news had to be said to, is frail and old for the news might cause a sudden shock resulting in a heart attack or something else serious.

What can we do about it?

These are situations where we need God with us – we need to pray and petition the Almighty to give us the courage to convey bad imminent news.

Q1. (Daniel 4:10-20) Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar’s dream?

Yes he was afraid

Why?

Because his understanding of the dream

Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? 

We allow ourselves to be controlled by the situation thinking that we are protecting them while we are destroying them.

What can we do about it? 

We need to be always led by the Holy Spirit so that people can be helped

Daniel was very afraid because the dream and interpretation wasn't something that would bring the king joy. Others have got their heads cut off for bringing the king bad news from his dream. We become afraid because we don't want to shock anyone with bad news from there dream. Anything can happen to them or to others, it's dangerous. We must pray to God to give us strength to interpret to our brothers and sisters dream.

Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar's dream? Why?

Once Daniel hears the dream and God reveals to him its meaning, he is concerned with what to do. He is "greatly perplexed" and "terrified." Those who bring bad news to an absolute monarch often suffer "kill-the-messenger" consequences. Daniel is also concerned because he may have become fond of the king, and wonders what will happen to the kingdom -- and to his own fortunes -- when the king is incapacitated.

Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? What can we do about it?

Sometimes they may not understand what I am saying to them and take it the wrong way. This is where I ask the Lord for guidance and pray always in Jesus'name.

Concerning the second part of the question, we can be wary of saying the hard things that must be said because:

1. We can be doubtful of our own motives or question our own 'take' on the situation. We can doubt whether these are things that 'must be said' or whether they are things we actually want to say out of our own frustration or out own issues. Always good therefore to check with God first, to pray and to seek His wisdom. The question then becomes, if we do get convicted that we should say something, will we have the courage to do so, because...

2. We are fearful of the fallout that might occur, or the loss of relationship

Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar’s dream?

I believe that he was afraid if he told the truth.

Why?

In that day when someone brought bad news to the king he would be killed and Daniel did not want to die.

Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters?

We are afraid to tell the truth, because we might lose a friend or make them angry.  They may even try to put the guilt trip back on you.

What can we do about it?

We can pray about what to do and seek God's guidance.  But we need to help and speak the truth that the person doing the wrong might seek correction. 

Could I be as brave as Daniel? I wish! Daniel was a great man  gifted and called by God for His purposes, who walked with God in his daily life. A parallel is Joseph. Others like St Paul
and Luther have also stood before kings. These men were chosen by God for special
tasks. Today we need such leaders in our Christian faith as our world is in such a
fragile state.

Daniel 4:10-20) Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar's dream? Why? Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? What can we do about it?

It seems Daniel is afraid to interpret the dream because it is hard to tell someone bad news. He also may have feared for his life because of what he needed to tell him. However God had spared his life before so maybe not. It is difficult to say hard things because of the other persons reaction, we must always speak in love and make sure our motives are right with God.

Even though the dream is the king's dream, Daniel is the messenger who will bring the interpretation, which in this case, is bad news for the king.  Daniel's concern seems to be that if the king doesn't like the message, he could kill the messenger.   Daniel was not one who desired to be the bearer of bad news.

In Daniel 4:10-20, it appears after the king tells Daniel his dream, God enlightens Daniel to it's meaning. However, Daniel is afraid to reveal the true meaning of the dream to the king, he knows it is bad and could cost him his life. It also seems Daniel after many years of service to the king, is more of a loyal servant than an bearer of bad news.

We are normally afraid to tell our Christian brothers and sisters the truth or hard things that must be said. We usually shy away and hope that someone else will tell them or that God will open their eyes to the problem.

Perhaps we should pray about what we are to say to a Christian brother or sister in Christ. That the Lord will provide a way for us to lovingly and humbly tell them tell them what must be said, even if the other person gets their feelings hurt.     

Daniel was greatly alarmed, dismayed, and fearful when he understood the dream and its interpretation. Disaster was about to befall the king, a man who had been very good to him and who had publicly blessed Yahweh across the nation and declared full protection for the Jewish people who lived as captives in Babylon. Daniel did not want to have to bring such troubling news to the king. It was possible that his own life, and possibly those of his kinsmen, could be in danger if the king became enraged.

We are afraid to say hard things to help our brothers and sisters in Christ for varied reasons. We don't want to hurt feelings or make someone angry. We don't want to face rejection or even persecution. Sometimes a person will accuse you back, asking what right you have to criticize since you're not perfect either. If the LORD impresses a truth with an honest burden to share it, we need to submit and obey. This would have to be covered in prayer for wisdom and guidance, and delivered with a gentle and loving spirit. Then don't let any negative consequences become personal.  You might be in their path, but the anger would really be against the truth.  Keep praying!

1.Daniel gets astonished for one hour and his thoughts troubled him because he was a servant to the king and the king seemed to be in trouble or bad times ,The enormous implication of something very bad happening to the king is destabilizing and bad .

Daniel even begins with the comforting wish  "",let this happen to your haters ""

We are afraid to speak hard things that are true to others because we fear we would lose the favor and considered not as a part of the team ,or it is of peer pressure to conform 

We can pray about it ,we can counsel those who err in a caring manner and living ,leading by example .

Daniel is not afraid. But he wished this dream would never become true in Nebuchadnezzar's life. We don't like to say hard things because we don't like to be misunderstood. But if we are able to use the correct words according to the Holy Spirit guidance, we will not be afraid to say the hard things which can help the others.

Lesson 4 Question 1

Lesson 4 Question 1

It appears that Daniel is actually afraid to interpret the dream, since the interpretation portents bad news for the king. I expect that the king was already beginning to be unstable and unpredictable. Daniel may have feared for his life. Alternatively Daniel likely cared for the king and found it difficult to share bad news. We too find it difficult to share hard things with our brothers and sisters. We would rather be  encouraging. But sometimes we must challenge are friends with the truth. If it's done in love it often in the long run will be a blessing for the recipient.