JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Repentance

Q3. (Daniel 4:27) What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins? What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins? For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor? That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar’s ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability? In what way can God’s decrees be conditional?

• 1 month later...

(Daniel 4:27) What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins? What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins? For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor? That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar’s ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability? In what way can God’s decrees be conditional? 

Nebuchadnezzar must do more than offer verbal assurances. He must humble himself and acknowledge the sovereignty of God. He must stop sinning and begin doing what is right, in particular, by being kind to the poor and needy. Being kind to the poor, in my opinion, must be through word and deed and thoughts. There is no point in giving to the poor without empathizing with their situation. God may relent in his punishment, since our God is a merciful God, his decrees are sometimes conditional upon our response to repent and forsake our sinning ways.

Q3. (Daniel 4:27)  What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins? HE HAS TO FIRST ACKNOWLEDGE THAT while he is in charge of the people on earth under his leadership; HE IS NOT IN CHARGE, GOD IS:  Daniel was smooth in his interpretation and his painful advice:  "Repentance and renunciation are primarily verbal, at least initially. But the king must do more than offer verbal assurances, he must stop sinning and begin doing what is right, in particular, by being kind to the poor and needy, who were often forgotten in the ancient Near East…. DANIEL suggests that if the king will repent and humble himself and acknowledge the sovereignty of God, then God may relent in his punishment."  IT GET'S WORSE, his repentance is NOT  A GUARANTEE; Daniel says "God may..."

What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins? CHANGE MY WORDS, ACTIONS, & CONSISTENT INTENTIONS.

For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor? ACKNOWLEDGE, CONTRIBUTE, & HELP WHEN WE CAN.

That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar's ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability? YES.

In what way can God's decrees be conditional?  GOD WANTS WHAT GOD WANTS; total submission requires total obedience. 'If"

Q3.(Daniel 4:27) What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins?

He had to stop sinning (a complete turnaround) and to start doing right according to what God required of him. He needed to change his mind about WHO was sovereign, subject his will to God and carry out Gods desires for the kingdom, particularly for the oppressed and poor.

What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins?

Exactly the same as was required by the king! A complete turnaround! God is always right, and to humbly admit and accept my place as His daughter in subjection to His desires, rather than my own when they conflict.

For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor?

For me it means to consider them as equals, and  souls whom God loves, just as He loves me, and to pray for their needs, and whenever possible to contribute to those needs. If they don't know our Lord, the most loving and kind thing I can do  after meeting physical needs, is to share the gospel with them so that they too may know Him.

That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar's ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability?

It's interesting to me, that after losing our home, car, job, position in society, etc. we learned how very little is  required to live simply, and that although we receive assistance from others from time to time, there is a little to share with someone else in greater need, as well as to tithe. I remember a situation where our Bible study went to lunch afterward. A woman joined us who had been abandoned by her husband and who didn't know we would be going to lunch. She was seated next to me and I noticed as she quietly looked in her wallet that she had no money. I had been given a little money a few days before and since a friend had asked if she could treat me to lunch, I was able to quietly give the new lady all that I had. I didn't know when I'd have any money again, but knew that when I would have a need, our loving Father would provide it .....in any of His creative ways..

In what way can God's decrees be conditional?

At times what He decrees is dependent upon my response to Him. He gives us choices, even with Salvation....we can choose His gift or reject it. 

Q3. (Daniel 4:27) What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins?

Renouncing and repenting of sin takes both a mental assent and a physical action.  By doing what is right to the poor and oppressed he would have demonstrated his change in heart and have compassion on them for their needs.

Repentance is changing one's way of life, their belief system and walk in a different direction.  If one truly repents then others can see the change that you have experienced.

It is not necessarily meeting the needs of the poor but to have a compassionate heart toward them, where you can help and assist them then take the opportunity.  It is not giving them entitlements without effort on their part.  Many times the poor need to be trained in a vocation that they could endeavor in to meet their needs, no one actually benefits in the long run by just giving to them without some effort on their part.

That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar’s ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability?

It is always within the reach of each of us, whether we do anything is the question.

In what way can God’s decrees be conditional?

"If we then God can or will".  Throughout the Bible we are told of God's decrees that were amended because of "cause and effect".  God says He will destroy, the people repent and God holds back His judgement.

Repent and be kind to the poor & needy. Acknowledge sovereignty of God.

Basically the same--repent and show by our actions that God is sovereign.

Meet needs where we can, befriend them. pray for them

Sure!

If the king would have turned around, repented and humbled himself, God might have repented of his judgement.

Q3. (Daniel 4:27) What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins?

King Nebuchadnezzar was to renounce his wickedness and oppression of the poor by doing what is right, a he wrote in Dan 4:27, “Therefore, Your Majesty, be pleased to accept my advice: Renounce your sins by doing what is right, and your wickedness by being kind to the oppressed. It may be that then your prosperity will continue.”

I need to allow God to be present in everything that I say, think and do.

Poor is not only persons without the necessities of life but also persons who lack spirituality and the trust that God “rules.”

That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar's ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability?

Every opportunity to do the right thing is always right there before me – it’s only the question of me asking myself if I choose to use or ignore the chances.

I believe that it’s never conditional – God’s decrees are eternal from eternity – before the foundation of the world, "just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love."( Eph 1:4)

(Daniel 4:27) What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins? What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins? For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor? That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar’s ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability? In what way can God’s decrees be conditional? 

Nebuchadnezzar must stop sinning and start doing what is right, this shows that he truly repents of his sin.

Its the same with us, we must bear fruit along with repentance.  Repentance is to turn our back on sins and walk in the opposite direction towards God.

To be kind to the poor means not to look down upon them, have compassion, pray for them, share our things with them, contribute to their needs and if opportunities arise to help them find a proper means of making a decent living.

Yes it is within my ability too to accomplish.

God's decrees are conditional only to make us better creations and bring about a total character change in us.

Cry out to God for forgiveness

Change your mind like people of Ninive

To love them

That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar’s ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability?

To love the poor it is within my ability

(Daniel 4:27) What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins? What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins?

The king must stop sinning and start doing what is right.  He need to start being kind to the poor and needy.   The king, also, need to repent and humble himself and acknowledge the sovereignty of God.   We must do the same thing that Daniel is telling the king to do. 

For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor? That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar’s ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability? In what way can God’s decrees be conditional?   

Being kind to the poor simply mean treating them with respect,  helping them in whatever they may need, saying a kind word, giving them a hug, comfort them when they seem down and out etc.  They are God's people too!  God's decrees are conditional to the extent that we must repent and be obedience to his word. 

Q3. (Daniel 4:27) What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins? What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins? For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor? That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar’s ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability? In what way can God’s decrees be conditional?

Daniel told the king that he must do what is right. This implies that the king knew in his heart what he must do. Daniel didn't muck around he told him straight out-"Renounce your sins by doing what is right, and your wickedness by being kind to the oppressed" (Daniel 4:27).

Perhaps today, being kind to the oppressed or the poor means to lose ones attitude and prejudices towards other people different from us in society, Jesus spent time with the down and out, oppressed and shunned in the community where he lived when he was in the world (Matt 9:10). It is within our ability, (what God asks of us, we can do-Phillipians 4:13). God's decrees are conditional apon me being obedient to the decree, for example if I trust in him and acknowledge him with all my heart -all my being, he will guide me through my life (Proverbs 3:5-6).

What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins?

He must stop sinning and begin doing what is right, in particular, by being kind to the poor and needy, who were often forgotten in the ancient Near East. Daniel suggests that if the king will repent and humble himself and acknowledge the sovereignty of God, then God may relent in his punishment.

If you are not already baptized, you should repent your sins and then be baptized and begin living your life for the Lord. If you are baptized and you sin, you must get on your knees immediately and ask God for forgiveness.

For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor? Is it within your ability?

Do what you can to help the poor. Whether it be financially, with food, clothing, or even a ride to the store to get groceries, or a ride to church. Yes, it is in my ability.

Since our God is a merciful God, his decrees are sometimes conditional upon our response.

What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins?

Daniel is telling the king that to demonstrate his repentance, he must look after the poor, by feeding them and taking care of their needs.

My sins are already forgiven, but I must change my lifestyle to conform to what pleases God. 

By giving them food and shelter.  By giving them rides to doctors or food stores.

YES!  We can do it.

As long as we are in the repentance state and change our lifestyle we see God's conditional work. 

Nebuchadnezzar should stop sinning and practice righteousness. And, his iniquities by showing her y to the oppressed. Being kind to the poor is being kind to all those that are less fortunate than yourself. I try my best to help those who are less fortunate than myself. God will always give you special blessings when you reach out to others.

Q3. (Daniel 4:27)  What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins? What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins? For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor? That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar's ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability? In what way can God's decrees be conditional?

Daniel's advice was to "Renounce your sins by doing what is right, and your wickedness by being kind to the oppressed."  The fruit of repentance is to stop sinning and do what is right before the Lord.  To be kind to the oppressed or the poor is to be generous with the blessings God has given us and share with those in need.  Caring and compassion for others is always within our ability no matter how much or how little we have.  Some of the most generous people are people with the least.   God's decrees can be conditional if we change our ways.  Judgment do not have to come to us if we repent and do what is right.  If the king would have acknowledged his sin and changed his ways, his place and position might not have been lost.

In Daniel 4:27 Nebuchadnezzar must demonstrate that he renounces and repent of his sins by doing what is right and repent of his wickedness by being kind to the oppressed.

To repent of my sins I must do good to family and friends, give to the a Lord what is his.

for being kind to the poor means we should share with them our prosperity, through food, clothing, shelter and sharing the gospel with them.

As it was within Nebuchadnezzar's ability to do good to the oppressed and do that which is right before the Lord.

God's decree can be conditional because he wants us to do his will for us and our neighbors.  

Daniel 4:27) What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins? What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins? For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor? That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar's ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability? In what way can God's decrees be conditional?

Nebuchadnezzar needed to do what was right and to be kind to the poor. When you repent of your sins you must turn away from them. Being kind to the poor is giving when you see a need and not tuning away when you see needs. God has put a lot of conditional promises in His word. I call it the if cause, such as ,

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

2 Ch 7:14.

a.Daniel  beseeches  his counsel to  be acceptable to the king ,by the kings actions such as 

Break off from sins 

be righteous which is the first requirement to break off the sin

break off the iniquities by showing mercy to the poor 

b.repent and sin no more ,Stay in the Word ,Bible fellowship and continuously grow in grace 

c.Be kind to poor means share the wealth to help the needy ,listen to grievances ,and help as to what the good Samaritan did .

d.if we pray to God and if we have a great thirst to call for service ,God will  grant us opportunity ,means and  ways  and place us in a position ,where  we are able to help others ,

e.Conditional for the salvation and salvation of others ,The Word indeed is the sword 

Q3. (Daniel 4:27)  What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins?
In order for the king to repent he must first face reality and take a good look inside of who he is; pride goes before a fall because it becomes more difficult to see what an empty shell we are without God: The king ruled with a hand full of pride, he had an inordinate amount of self-esteem and conceit of his accomplishments as he saw himself as superior, thereby he ruled with contempt for others, it is easy to speak kind words and to speak of the powers above, however for the king to come to the full knowledge of his words he must acknowledge that it is “Heaven” that rules, he must “REPENT” and when he repents he will “DEMONSTRATE” it by making right his perverse ways through acts of righteousness, AND he will show mercy to the poor.

Q4. What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins?
We must all come to the point of understanding, we are nothing without God and come to the realization that repentance calls for action, there will be a change and we will turn from our sins, thereby we will strive to walk in righteousness.

Q5. For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor?
For king Nebuchadnezzar it was his poor subjects, especially the poor captives the Jews of whom he used and showed no compassion; for us it could refer to "ANYONE" we might look down on by displaying to them a lack of love and respect.

He should be humble. And me, I have to repent of my sins and never commit them anymore. Being kind of the poor is to take care of them in their needs. If they need food, we have to provide it. If they need love, we have to offer love. For sure it is within our abilities doing that. God's decrees can be conditional as God has created different human beings and will act to them in different manners. Whomsoever He gives more, He will require more. 

Nebuchadnezzar must show his repentance by changing the way of his ruling upon the poor people.  Certainly, this successful king has imposed harsh rules in governing people.  He builds his kingdom on slavery and oppression of poor people.  This has been the norm of most monarchies in the ancient time.

To demonstrate our repentance to God, we must also renounce to our sinful way of life.  We should use our consciousness to examine our life against the commandments of the Most High.  We should admit that we have offended God and with sincere heart asking God's grace to help us to quit any old habit or activities that are against His commandments.

To be kind to the poor is to love them and understand their struggles and disadvantages in our society.  Being compassionate to others is the only way for us to express our humility and love to God.  This attitude is within the ability of every individual living in this world.

If we want God to show mercy on us, we should also show mercy unto other people around us.  That is the condition of God's decrees.  Our Lord Jesus Christ has also said:

Mat_5:7  Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Luk_6:36  Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

Q3. (Daniel 4:27)  What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins? What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins? For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor? That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar's ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability? In what way can God's decrees be conditional?

Repent, renouce your sinful nature and ask God for giveness. We need to show compassionte to the poor , humility, kind and love. Daniel pleaded with Nebuchadnezzar to change his ways, and God gave Nebuchadnezzar 12 months to do it. Unfortunately, there was no repentance in the heart of this proud king, and so the dream was fulfilled.

God's love is uncondititional agape love.

Q3. (Daniel 4:27)  What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins? What must you do 

demonstrate that you repent of your sins?

For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor? That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar's ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability?

In what way can God's decrees be conditional?

1.  He must renounce his sins by doing what is right, and his wickedness by being kind to the  oppressed.

2.  I must do the same thing and read my bible faithfully, repent everyday, pray  continuously, and express love to all.

3.  We must expressly love by helping others, witnessing to them in a respectful way,  and giving our last if it comes to that. Let them see us living the life of God.

4. It is within my ability to let my light shine and not make it shine. I will be humble and not have pride to gain attention.

5. God decree can be conditional when he have mercy and grace on us.

Daniel advised Nebuchadnezzar to heed and accept his counsel, warning the king not to ignore the message from Yahweh given in the dream. He explained that renouncing sin was more than just saying the words, but meant an outward change in what you do. He urged the king to make righteousness and morality the normal practice of life, which required humbling himself in trust and obedience to the Most High God. Daniel identified Nebuchadnezzar's sin in saying that breaking off the iniquities in the king's life meant showing mercy to the oppressed. Centuries later, James 2:14-18 was written about how a statement of belief is proven invalid without demonstration of outward evidence, with the example of taking action to care for the poor and hungry with compassion. In verse 18, he said that our declaration of faith is justified before others (proven true) by the works we do (of righteousness produced in us by the Spirit).   Paul also warned about people who “profess to know God , but they deny Him by their works” (Titus 1:16). The king talked about Daniel's God and respected His power in Daniel's life, but he revealed a lack of faith in Yahweh by the way he conducted himself in his duties of oversight. What we really believe is what we will ultimately do!

Once we repent of our sins before God, our lives should also look different in how we live and care for others. As the mind of Christ enlarges within us and we grow in His character, we are to make righteous, moral, and pure living our normal practice. That type of lifestyle and heart for others grows as we grow in love for God and our neighbors. The most needy of our neighbors would be the poor, infirmed, and downtrodden. We are to share with them as God blesses our ability to do so. This might be in financial gifts or with gifts of time for service – or both. Knowing how and when to be involved is discerned with prayer, but I believe all of the Body of Christ has the compassionate heart of Christ and will be individually accountable for our response to that.

God does offer conditions for His response at times. In general, He reserves His own action on His revealed Word until we demonstrate our acts of response (because our actions always reveal our hearts). There are several “if - then” scenarios in both the old and new testaments of Scripture. For example: “If my people...will humble themselves...pray...seek My face, then I will hear from heaven...forgive their sins...heal their land”(2Chronicles 7:14). “If we confess our sins [then] He is faithful and just to forgive...and cleanse”(1John 1:9).

Q3. (Daniel 4:27)  

That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar's ability to accomplish. 

Is it within your ability? 

Daniel advises Nebuchadnezzar to repent of his sin so that judgment might be avoided. He was urged to turn from his sinful pride and produce fruits of righteousness - acts which stem from a heart that is submissive to God. By giving to the poor would demonstrate this change of heart and display the king’s sincerity. We must remember that God holds all rulers responsible for meeting His moral standards in governing. If the king shows mercy to the poor and weak, he shall receive mercy from God.

In the same way we are to confess our sins and turn completely away from our sinful behaviour. It is an absolute surrender to our Lord and we are to live acknowledging Him in everything we do. There are many examples in Scripture that show us that God is a God of grace and mercy. Ezekiel 33:11a is an example: “Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live”. It is the same today with people who have lost all hope and are in a state of despair. All is not lost, there is still hope for the worst sinner. God reminds us that He will pardon a wicked man who confesses and forsakes his sin, but He will punish a righteous man who turns to wickedness.