JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Love and Disagreement

• 2 months later...

(Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think people fight with each other over the interpretation of difficult Bible passages? According to Romans 14:1-5, what should be our attitude towards those who disagree with us on the non-essentials of the faith? 

We fight over the interpretation of difficult Bible passages because of our "holier than thou" attitude. Each of us think that we are the only one who hears from God and has been given the gift of wisdom. This has everything to do with pride and arrogance rather than wisdom and understanding. The different interpretations occur because of our different perspectives which is shaped by our upbringing, experience and intellectual (and perhaps maybe even spiritual) discernment. 

Do not despise or judge one another. (Romans 14:3) In the end, all of us  "... shall give account of himself to God. (Romans 14:12). Therefore let us pursue the things 

which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another. (Romans 14:19)

Humans just have the innate desire to be right! And so we sometimes disagree and even argue with each other when we encounter difficult passages of Scripture that don't give us all the information needed to define one clear interpretation. We end up with best-guesses and thoughtful opinions that can lead us into dissension. But such arguments are really a revealing of human pride and they are a distraction from the foundations of faith that really matter. The important thing is that Christ is coming again, no one knows the time for that event except the Father, and when Christ does return it will be in His identity as a conquering King to put an end to sin, to deliver the chosen people of God, and to reclaim His creation that was given over to satan when man fell from grace!! In the mean time, the Body of Christ is called to unity and peace, even when we differ in understanding.

According to Romans 14:1-5, we are to respect differing levels of maturing faith, avoid quarreling over opinions, allow for differences of understanding in matters that are not crucial to the gospel, abstain from passing judgment or despising each other, rely on God to be upheld in truth, and do all to honor the Lord (vs.6).

Q2. (Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think people fight with each other over the interpretation of difficult Bible passages? According to Romans 14:1-5, what should be our attitude towards those who disagree with us on the non-essentials of the faith?

Romans 14:1-5 MESSAGE VERSION CAPTURES IT:  

1 Welcome with open arms fellow believers who don't see things the way you do. And don't jump all over them every time they do or say something you don't agree with - even when it seems that they are strong on opinions but weak in the faith department. Remember, they have their own history to deal with. Treat them gently. 
2 For instance, a person who has been around for a while might well be convinced that he can eat anything on the table, while another, with a different background, might assume all Christians should be vegetarians and eat accordingly. 
3 But since both are guests at Christ's table, wouldn't it be terribly rude if they fell to criticizing what the other ate or didn't eat? God, after all, invited them both to the table. 
4 Do you have any business crossing people off the guest list or interfering with God's welcome? If there are corrections to be made or manners to be learned, God can handle that without your help. 
5 Or, say, one person thinks that some days should be set aside as holy and another thinks that each day is pretty much like any other. There are good reasons either way. So, each person is free to follow the convictions of conscience.

Q2. (Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think people fight with each other over the interpretation of difficult Bible passages? According to Romans 14:1-5, what should be our attitude towards those who disagree with us on the non-essentials of the faith? 

Sad, but it is true, people do have intellectual wars over the interpretation of Bible passages, whether it's difficult or not.  In my opinion it is because we do do not respect the fact that everyone has his own opinion and gives an interpretation based on their understanding.  According to Romans 14:1-5 our attitude towards those who disagree with us on the non-essentials of the faith is to accept them without passing judgment. 

Why do you think people fight with each other over the interpretation of difficult Bible passages?

Misunderstanding and disbelieving.

According to Romans 14:1-5, what should be our attitude towards those who disagree with us on the non-essentials of the faith?

Accept those whose faith is weak without passing judgment on disputable matters.

People fight over those passages because they haven't happened yet and so no meaning is the right one right now.

We need to treat it as a non-essential of the Christian faith and not disrespect or condemn the one who disagrees.

People fight because they think they are right and do not take the time to listen to others, thinking they can never be right.  Also fear of being misled.

Romans 14:1-5 Paul tells us to accept the one who has weak faith and not quarrel over disputable matters and be fully convinced in our minds with what we do without judging others.  ​

Q2. (Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think people fight with each other over the interpretation of difficult Bible passages?

Personally, I think that these conflicts over the interpretations of biblical passages arise because those who interpret these recorded engagements come from different backgrounds, speaking different languages and understanding facts differently.

According to Romans 14:1-5, what should be our attitude towards those who disagree with us on the non-essentials of the faith?

Paul’s attempt to put an end to the arguments and differences of opinion among the followers of Christ teaches us not to disdain or despise the weak or pronounce the strong. There are still present in this world people who condemn others for eating certain kinds of food because they don’t consume such food. Take Daniel for instance – when he and his companions decided not to defile themselves with the “rich” food of the King - did they impose it on the rest of their peers. No.

Each and every one of us are entitled to our opinions. From every perspective of life we must allow others to eat what they want – drink what they like – observe or keep holy and sacred any day of the week they choose – interpret the bible in any way they choose, because “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” (2 Tim 3:16)

Why should we have to greatly enunciate the liberally strong and we look with contempt on the weak and their practices ?

Aren’t we are all the same in the eyes of God.

• I think people fight because each person may think they have the correct interpretation based on their understanding. Our interpretations are based on our paradigms as well as our level of understanding. 
  • According to “Life Application” notes, “Paul responds to both weak brothers in love. Both are acting according to their consciences, but their honest convictions do not need to be made into rules for the church. Certainly some issues are central to the faith and worth fighting for, but many are based on individual differences and should not be legislated. Our principle should be: In essentials, unity; in nonessentials, liberty; in everything, love.”

Why do you think people fight with each other over the interpretation of difficult Bible passages? According to Romans 14:1-5, what should be our attitude towards those who disagree with us on the non-essentials of the faith?     

We often times see things differently and feel our way is the right way.  What matters most is that the end result is the intended result.  Our attitude should be with those that disagree with us should be to give a warm welcome.  We should not criticize or argue with them.  Each person is accountable to Christ, not others.      

If we are fighting over difficult Bible passages it is arrogance on our part and having to be right.  I think it better to lay out our views and why with an open mind to others because none of us knows it all.  We should be more concerned with living each day with an aim to walk godly in Christ Jesus, to grow in grace, to love our neighbor, to be helpful, kind, that our speech would be gracious (isn't that kinder than trying to prove I am right?).  I have my views however I am open to listening to others who have well thought out opinions also.  I wonder if God doesn't leave some of the pieces of the puzzle out so that we cannot get too puffed up.  Won't it be wonderful when we all get to heaven and look at each other in love and maybe sometimes I was right, maybe sometimes they were right and maybe sometimes we were all wrong and God had something better in mind than we could have imagined.

Our attitude towards those who disagree with us on the non-essentials of the faith should be one of love toward a brother or sister in the faith.  And I am wondering who is to say one is weaker than the other.  Certainly not me.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

I have often asked myself the same question.  I think part of the answer is that we don't all agree on what are non-essentials.  Some believe that their belief is a requirement for salvation and others believe that same thing is open to interpretation.  That is not a modern problem as stated in Romans 14 where Paul was dealing with the same attitudes within the church.  Some were becoming dogmatic about certain issues.  

Romans 14:1-8

Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 
2One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 
3 The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 
4 Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 
5One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 
6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 
7For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 
8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord." 

What I believe Paul is telling us, in relation to end times prophecy is that we should accept one another who interprets some of these matters differently than we do without passing judgment.  As Paul says in verse 4, "who are we to judge someone else's servant?"  And in verse 5, "each one should be fully convinced in his own  mind."  And verses 6-8, whatever we do we should do so to the Lord. I have concluded about all these interpretations that they are all very confusing and I know of many who hold to different interpretations who are fully committed to serving Jesus, yet see some of these things differently.  In regard to the non-essentials, I think we can travel different roads, yet be heading in the same direction and reach the same destination.  Therefore, those who disagree on non-essentials we should not be threatened by them or "put off" by them, but rather learn from them and find common ground as we serve Jesus together.  

Why do you think people fight with each other over the interpretation of difficult Bible passages?

Misunderstandings, unbelief, and non-essentials of the faith.

1. Receive those that are weak in the faith.

2. Do not despise or judge those who have or have not.

3. Let everyone be persuaded in their own mind.

Well let's not be too negative about this arguing to seek the truth and uphold it

even if it means I'm hurting. Come, let us reason together! I'm thinking of the

ruthless arguments of our forbears e.g. Luther and Reformation contemporaries

who called each other names as they wrestled to find the truth in God's word .

It is natural for us to want to find the truth in various fields of scholarship

and Christians are not alone in this. How can we sacrifice that important truth

that is precious to us? Shall we say,"maybe we'll skip around that bit" (!!)

We must let God's love help us to reason together.

However, there are people who love to argue for the sake of being contentious

and stimulating their heartbeats. This can be thought of as defending the faith

when it's really

• I think people disagree because each person may think they have the correct interpretation based on their understanding. Our interpretations are based on our paradigms as well as our level of understanding.  Those who have “ears to hear”, interpret based on what they hear.
  • According to “Life Application” notes, “Paul responds to both weak brothers in love. Both are acting according to their consciences, but their honest convictions do not need to be made into rules for the church. Certainly some issues are central to the faith and worth fighting for, but many are based on individual differences and should not be legislated. Our principle should be: In essentials, unity; in nonessentials, liberty; in everything, love.”
  •  

Q2. (Daniel 924-7) Why do you think people fight with each other over the interpretation of difficult Bible passages?

We may have a preconceived idea based on an earlier teaching, or think we understand the only way the passage can be interpreted. Pride....insecurity: we want to be "right", have the "correct answer"....ambiguity can cause insecurity in immature and dysfunctional people, which most of us are to some degree. (Or at least I am) So, many of the difficult Bible passages which may ruffle feathers, become clear (or more clear) as we mature in Christ, grow in grace and understanding, relax and allow Holy Spirit to be our Teacher, and as we're more open and  ready to grasp the more difficult passages.

According to Romans 14:1-5, what should be our attitude toward those who disagree with us on the non-essentials of the faith?

We can agree to disagree and live in harmony without splitting hairs and causing division within the body. There is room to disagree on the non essentials. Humility and grace preserve unity, whereas pride puffs up the indignant one who insists on their own as the only interpretation.

Q2. (Daniel 9:24-27)

Q. Why do you think people fight with each other over the interpretation of difficult Bible passages?

A. I think it may be due to spiritual arrogance. 

Q. According to Romans 14:1-5, what should be our attitude towards those who disagree with us on the non-essentials of the faith?

A. Accept those who are weak in faith and not argue with them on what is wrong or right.

According to Romans 14:1-5 that believers accept one another even if they disagree over obscure doctrine based on the scriptures. Jesus also commanded believers to love one another (John 13:34).

Q2. (Daniel 9:24-27) 

Believers come from all sorts of backgrounds, cultures, ages, and with different stages of Spiritual maturity, that there will be the inevitable differences of opinion. We can, however, still have happy fellowship without agreeing on nonessentials. I feel that when it comes to fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, there is no room for individual opinions. The Scriptures are the absolute truth and there is no room for manipulating it or trying to get it to fall in line with our thinking. There is a vast difference between God's wisdom and man's, and there is no use trying to reconcile them. Also, we must be careful in judging our fellow believers, and never do or say anything that will hinder their spiritual progress. There is a need to show humility, gentleness, and patience in dealing with a difficult Bible passages. Everything must be done in love, unfortunately pride and self-centeredness often comes in the way. 

So many people fight each other over the passages in Daniel 9:27-27, because no knows the exact interpretation of the times in calendar years or type of calendar system used. Others debate whether it was written later in history than during Daniel's life.

We should not discriminate against those with different opinions of Daniel's prophecy. We should not dispute over doubtful things and we should not discriminate against our brothers and sisters in Christ. 

Q2. (Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think people fight with each other over the interpretation of difficult Bible passages?

I do not understand why people would want to “FIGHT” over certain interpretations that are difficult to answer, however, because we look through a glass darkly is why it is important that we walk in the gift of “LOVE” one for another, and turn away from those who have developed the skill of attacking.  The Messiah often spoke to a crowd of people in riddles and parables because they did not have ears to hear; seeing they see not, they do not understand for theirs heart were waxed gross, but when alone with his disciples he expounded on the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven.

Q3. According to Romans 14:1-5, what should be our attitude towards those who disagree with us on the non-essentials of the faith?

I prefer not to argue, that is to dispute God’s Word, however, I also want to have an ear to hear the view of others on difficult interpretation, as long as we “BOTH” are searching for the truth: there comes a time when we are to wipe our feet and just walk away.

We fight over the difficult Bible passages because everyone have a different opinion each one thinking they are right. It says do not fight over whose right or wrong. Welcome different opinions. Everyone is different.

1. People want to be worshipped and recognized for more than they are worth. They want to be praised and known for being able to answer anything in the bible.

2. vs. 3Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

vs. 4Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

Do not talk about or look down on someone because they do not believe the way you do. Let God take care of him. Love and pray for him.

Many study the Bible—but stumble over difficult verses, leaving them confused and without proper understanding. They are then led to accept twisted, distorted and outright false explanations of what should be God’s plain meaning from Scripture. 

Each day of these 70 weeks (“seventy sets of seven”) may represent one year. The Bible often uses round numbers to make a point, not to give an exact count. For example, Jesus said we are to forgive others “seventy times seven” (Matthew 18:22). He did not mean a literal 77 times only, but that we should be abundantly forgiving. Similarly, some see this figure of 70 weeks as a figurative time period. Others, however, interpret this time period as a literal 70 weeks or 490 years, observing that Christ’s death came at the end of the 69  One interpretation places the 70th week as the seven years of the great tribulation, still in the future. Consequently the number would symbolize both the first and second comings of Christ.

In Romans 14: 1 - 5 Paul is speaking about immature faith that has not yet developed the muscle it needs to stand against external pressures. For example, if a person who once worshiped idols became a Christian, he might understand perfectly well that Christ saved him through faith and that idols have no real power. Still, because of his past associations, he might be badly shaken if he unknowingly ate meat that had been used in idol worship. If a person who once worshiped God on the required Jewish holy days became a Christian, he might well know that Christ saved him through faith, not through his keeping of the law. Still, when the festival days came, he might feel empty and unfaithful if he didn’t dedicate those days to God.

Paul responds to both weak brothers in love. Both are acting according to their consciences, but their honest convictions do not need to be made into rules for the church. Certainly some issues are central to the faith and worth fighting for, but many are based on individual differences and should not be legislated. Our principle should be: In essentials, unity; in nonessentials, liberty; in everything, love.